2 Corinthians 12:7 KJB - "thorn in the flesh"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His will is already written.

What is written is that the Holy Spirit gives us gifts, and His sheep hear His voice, so start listening, and don't doubt. God is real, not just a character in a Book. He will actually do what He said in His Word.

Reactions: amadeus

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is written is that the Holy Spirit gives us gifts, and His sheep hear His voice, so start listening, and don't doubt. God is real, not just a character in a Book. He will actually do what He said in His Word.
The Holy Ghost/Spirit refers to the written word:

Joh_16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Joh_14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Joh_15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:​

As an example, of the Holy Ghost/Spirit speaking, He referred to the OT:

1Ti_4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;​

This is a reference to Daniel, etc.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Ghost/Spirit refers to the written word:

Joh_16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Joh_14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Joh_15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:​

As an example, of the Holy Ghost/Spirit speaking, He referred to the OT:

1Ti_4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;​

This is a reference to Daniel, etc.

Concerning prayer: Are these true in your life? Do you receive what you asked for? Do you know the steps needed?

John 15:7
If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

1 John 3:21-24
Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. 24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

1 John 5:14-15
Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.
Yes, He hears us, because we pray "thy will be done".

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I once heard that his thorn was the DA concerning child support.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Or it could be that the messenger of Satan was just the judaizers Paul speaks of in 2 Corinthians chapter 11?
Not so. Paul speaks of his personal physical *infirmity*. From all biblical evidence it would appear that his poor eyesight was his thorn in the flesh, and he even mentions the desire of the Galatians to give him their eyes (if it were possible) in connection with his physical infirmity. Galatians 4:15.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi David, so what do you believe was meant by Paul's thorn in the flesh?
Thorn in the flesh is a Jewish idiom referring to enemies (people), similar to our idiom, "my mother in law is a pain in the neck."
how many enemies opposed /hated paul. stoned horse whipped .paul went from one of the good old boys /to the one who rocked the boat enemies yes btw i m not david i see it as a spiritual warfare the battering rams of hell . not everyone loved paul

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not so. Paul speaks of his personal physical *infirmity*. From all biblical evidence it would appear that his poor eyesight was his thorn in the flesh, and he even mentions the desire of the Galatians to give him their eyes (if it were possible) in connection with his physical infirmity. Galatians 4:15.
Could be a phrase like, would have given me the shirt off their back.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i cant agree with this.. i am by far a authority like any of us.. but i do tend to see it as all those who opposed paul ministry

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i cant agree with this.. i am by far a authority like any of us.. but i do tend to see it as all those who opposed paul ministry
Bottom line Paul was in a crap hole in Rome writing an epistle instructing is to rejoice no matter our circumstances, but people still want to believe something like a physical vision problem would have him pleading with the Lord to remove it. His character was under attack.

You want to get someone bummed out start spreading lies about them and bearing false witness against them too people they love dearly.

Reactions: Heart2Soul and Ezra

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concerning prayer: Are these true in your life? Do you receive what you asked for? Do you know the steps needed?

John 15:7
If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

1 John 3:21-24
Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. 24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

hmmm you asked me this on GOD forgiving us . i believe the same principal applies for salvation . healing is hard to understand you can claim scriptures and we should . sometimes it just dont always turn out the way we prayed

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmmm you asked me this on GOD forgiving us . i believe the same principal applies for salvation . healing is hard to understand you can claim scriptures and we should . sometimes it just dont always turn out the way we prayed

Healing was always hard for me too. But the last time I tried it, it worked. I had watched a friend do it on me and I was healed, so I did what he did. And I thought about it for a long time. Why, that time, but never when I just prayed, and the answer is KNOWING who you are in Christ, and that He is already in you. You COMMAND the healing in Jesus name. You are in the equation. You don't just say if it is your will...and leave it all up to Jesus. That is not faith.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You COMMAND the healing in Jesus name. You are in the equation. You don't just say if it is your will...and leave it all up to Jesus. That is not faith.
i would like to see some scripture to back this up.. at this point i am not saying agreed or disagreed . i believe in divine healing not divine healers not so sure on the command . i have heard many proclamations from man on healing ..they was healed but they never received it. or they didn't have enough faith have enough faith .
i have seen those who said they had the faith and died.. i remember a pastor wife stricken with cancer . miraculous healed . done great for several years passed away from cancer. a very dear christian woman had stage 3 breast cancer /cancer in her lymph nodes also. took treatment .given all clear sign .few years later it returned in her bones . i like the attitude of man with cancer in his lung in his back one vertebrae gone due to cancer... i went and visited him in the hospital asked him how he was doing with the news..
his reply i am not going to sit around and wonder if God will heal me. if he does ptl if not i am a winner either way ..there is faith .

healing is there i have seen it . so while we claim this healing... w e also put our faith and trust in God for our salvation------------>Bible 101

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bottom line Paul was in a crap hole in Rome writing an epistle instructing is to rejoice no matter our circumstances, but people still want to believe something like a physical vision problem would have him pleading with the Lord to remove it. His character was under attack.

" You want to get someone bummed out start spreading lies about them and bearing false witness against them too people they love dearly. "
been there experienced the lies /false witness been told your truly a man of God but they want someone more laid back . everyone has a thorn in the flesh . what w forget is paul was told when your weak your at your strongest we all are a W.I.P

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Stick with the text. If you had poor eyesight in those days, that would have been a major problem. Especially for one who traveled throughout the Roman empire. You are the one who is coming up with a fanciful interpretation. "A thorn" (singular) is not a hundred enemies.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stick with the text. If you had poor eyesight in those days, that would have been a major problem. Especially for one who traveled throughout the Roman empire. You are the one who is coming up with a fanciful interpretation. "A thorn" (singular) is not a hundred enemies.
Be nice now, God doesn’t like ugly.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i would like to see some scripture to back this up.. at this point i am not saying agreed or disagreed . i believe in divine healing not divine healers not so sure on the command . i have heard many proclamations from man on healing ..they was healed but they never received it. or they didn't have enough faith have enough faith .
i have seen those who said they had the faith and died.. i remember a pastor wife stricken with cancer . miraculous healed . done great for several years passed away from cancer. a very dear christian woman had stage 3 breast cancer /cancer in her lymph nodes also. took treatment .given all clear sign .few years later it returned in her bones . i like the attitude of man with cancer in his lung in his back one vertebrae gone due to cancer... i went and visited him in the hospital asked him how he was doing with the news..
his reply i am not going to sit around and wonder if God will heal me. if he does ptl if not i am a winner either way ..there is faith .

healing is there i have seen it . so while we claim this healing... w e also put our faith and trust in God for our salvation------------>Bible 101

Look at the healings in Acts and see whether anyone said "IF." Or if instead they used language that commanded them to be healed in Jesus name. Paul didn't even use His name. He just commanded them.

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” 7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.

Acts 9:34 And Peter said to him, “Aeneas, Jesus the Christ heals you. Arise and make your bed.”

Acts 14:9 Paul, observing him intently and seeing that he had faith to be healed, 10 said with a loud voice, “Stand up straight on your feet!” And he leaped and walked.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look at the healings in Acts and see whether anyone said "IF." Or if instead they used language that commanded them to be healed in Jesus name. Paul didn't even use His name. He just commanded them.

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” 7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.

Acts 9:34 And Peter said to him, “Aeneas, Jesus the Christ heals you. Arise and make your bed.”

Acts 14:9 Paul, observing him intently and seeing that he had faith to be healed, 10 said with a loud voice, “Stand up straight on your feet!” And he leaped and walked.
i have read the book of acts its very explosive .. so to cancer patient i just walk up and command them to be healed and its done ?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have read the book of acts its very explosive .. so to cancer patient i just walk up and command them to be healed and its done ?

I'm no expert. I just know that I abide in Jesus and He abides in me. And the three texts about prayer being answered and you receiving what you pray for has happened for me. I just don't pray for anything for myself until I HEAR His voice tell me what to pray. And immediately the prayer is answered. So I always thought on healing I must wait to hear His voice too. I never heard it. So I never thought I had the gift of healing.

But in Mark 16:16-18 these are what are given to all believers for our personal use with the indwelling Spirit inside of us. His presence is key.

1. prayer language to pray God's perfect will (no interpretation is listed)
2. casting out demons. We are always stronger than even Satan.
3. divine protection from our enemies who are controlled by Satan.
4. AND HEALING

(I was in church for 30 years as a Christian, but I had never been born again, and not one prayer was answered.) But on Feb. 9, 1977 I repented fully, and told Jesus I was totally weak, and not until then was I born again. Since then all my prayers are answered.)

Healing is different for me, and separate from how I pray. Though Paul prayed in Acts 28:9 before he went in an healed him. I don't know what he prayed or why. It doesn't say. But after he prayed, it seems he went ahead and healed him as usual. I assume by a command as he did before.

So for over 40 years all my prayers have been answered, but I was not involved in one healing. God never spoke to me about it. I didn't realize that I already had the authority inside me according to Mark 16 I and didn't have to wait. So after my friend commanded my ribs to stay in place this year (they kept going out of place since the 1980's and caused a lot of pain in my left side) and they haven't gone out of place since he ordered them to stay in place, I only had one opportunity to use this insight about "commanding" using my authority in Christ. (Mind you I already knew I was baptized in the Holy Spirit and born again with a new nature since 77) and this opportunity was on a dog. She, Penny, was attacked in the night by something, I heard it happen and called my neighbor, and they found her at the bottom of the deck stairs paralyzed from the waist down. They carried her inside. They took her to the vet and ex-rays showed her back was broken. He could do an operation that would cost $5000, but didn't know if that would even help. They couldn't afford that even if there was a guarantee. It was a very sad situation. All she could do was drag herself around with her front legs and her stomach on the floor dragging her non-moving legs straight out behind her. I remembered my ribs being healed and what my friend did, so I called and asked if I could come over and pray for Penny. I laid my hand just above her hips and commanded her spine to be healed in Jesus' name. Then I left. My neighbor called the next day and said Penny was walking on all fours. Only her paws seemed not straight, so I told my neighbor to keep commanding those paws to be straightened, and now she's running after squirrels again.

Reactions: amadeus