2 Samuel 6

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Streetsweeper

Dec 28, 2008
Sydney
This chapter relates the events surrounding the bringing of the ark to Jerusalem by David. I have heard sermons on this passage a number of times, but I never really appreciated the significance of the passage until my small group completed a study of it a few weeks ago.

Until we did that study I never really accepted the death of Uzzah as a reasonable response by God to what appears as a conscientious attempt to protect the ark. After all Uzzah was just trying to stop the ark falling and being damaged. Why would God be angry to the point of execution, with someone whose actions were intended to protect God?

The chapter starts with David gathering a large number of the men of Israel and with great fanfare and celebration they commence the triumphant journey to Jerusalem. Then tragedy occurs when Uzzah touches the ark to prevent it toppling. The great celebration is cut short.

Fear of God becomes the order of the day. And David leaves the ark in the care of a local tribesman for three months. Why 3 months? That seems to be an extraordinarily long time. In the remaining part of the chapter we see the extensive preparations that David made to ensure a successful transport of the ark to Jerusalem.

In verse 9 following the death of Uzzah David asks “How can the ark of the Lord come to me?” I used to think this was a rhetorical question. It seems to be an expression frustration that God was not co-operating with David’s plans and expectations.

But David is not really the arrogant 4 slot batter questioning the umpire's 3rd strike call. David’s question is pivotal to everything that happens in the rest of the chapter. The question David asked was a genuine act of self-reflection with a desire to understand what he had done wrong, and a determination to correct his attitude and relationship with God.

In the intervening 3 months between the first and second attempts to move the ark David made all the preparations necessary for God to accept the move. But what was really different? The event was still of stupendous significance to the nation, there was still dancing, fanfare, and crowds of the entire nation present to witness the coming of God into the city. So what was different from the first attempt and why did Michal find David’s behaviour so unacceptable for the King of Israel?

The answer to David’s question is ‘repentance’. The first attempt to move the ark was an arrogant celebration of self-achievement. David and the nation of Israel ignored God in their attempt to glorify themselves. In contrast, the second move was an act of contrite worship in which God was the sole focus and object of glorification.

Every action David made during the final move was to worship God.
• It started with David wearing a linen ephod – a garment worn by priests when carrying out their priestly duties.
• Sacrifices appropriate to the occasion were made to the Lord.
• The shouting and horn blowing were to announce the coming of the Lord
• David’s dancing before arc was to humble himself, showing his lowly status before the great God of Israel.
• Finally when the arc was positioned suitably among God’s people, a simple nourishing meal was served to the people.

These are the same things Christians around the world do when we meet to worship our creator:
• We give for the work of the Lord sacrificing what might have benefited us personally.
• We sing and call out to the Lord in praise
• We humble ourselves in recognition of God’s greatness and our lowly position
• We feed on God’s word and if lucky, share a meal with our brothers and sisters in Christ.

When Uzzah touched the ark he did not do so out of reverence for God. Not only was Uzzah being arrogant in assuming he should, or even could protect God’s ark, he was also participating in a celebration which was belittling to God. In that context God’s anger is reasonable, and Uzzah’s death is appropriate justice.

Michal refused to accept that we should be humble before God, no matter what our status in society, and she paid the price of that arrogance.