20 earthquakes reported Saturday

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
Residents Baffled by Terrifying Loud Booms in Oklahoma
Good Morning America By LIZ FIELDS 2 hours ago
If you hear a bang in the night in Oklahoma, it's probably not a monster, but could something worse -- an earthquake.

Across the south central state, 20 earthquakes were reported to The United States Geological Survey on Saturday alone. One of those quakes in the Edmond area had a magnitude of 3.5.

But residents are puzzled as to why the quakes are occurring so frequently and making such alarmingly loud noises.

"Felt like bombs going off. It's just a huge loud noise and then it's like a reverb from that boom that just shakes the entire house," Logan County resident Nancy York told ABC News affiliate KOCO-TV in Oklahoma City.

"If I'm experiencing eight of these in one day, then when does it erupt and become absolutely horrible that takes my house down?" York asked.

Similar booms have been heard across other states including Indiana, South Carolina, Ohio and Rhode Island in the last month. All of these regions are active areas on the USGS seismic hazard map.

Seismologist Austin Holland with the Oklahoma Geological Survey said that the unexplained noises are a result of sound waves emitting deep from within the earth before erupting. Residents might not know it's an earthquake because the shaking may be too slight to detect.

"When you're on top of a small earthquake it generates a boom. It's kind of similar to an explosion," Holland said. "I know these booms have been reported in other places and they couldn't figure out what was going on."

Oklahoma has seen a steep rise in the frequency of earthquakes in the area, according to a joint statement by both USGS and OGS. Residents have experienced more than 200 measuring at least a magnitude 3.0 since the beginning of 2009.

Holland said the USGS and OGS are conducting joint research on the increase in the frequency of earthquakes in the area.

It is not clear if the quakes are being triggered by human activity or are occurring naturally, Holland said, although he said suggested changes to lake levels may be involved.

The scientists are looking at hydraulic fracturing among all other possible factors, he said, but it may be a while before they come up with a definitive answer.

"We have no way to predict the future. Earthquakes aren't predictable," Holland said. "Certainly the more earthquakes we have, the more likely we are to have a larger one."

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mr.Bride said:
Residents Baffled by Terrifying Loud Booms in Oklahoma
Good Morning America By LIZ FIELDS 2 hours ago
If you hear a bang in the night in Oklahoma, it's probably not a monster, but could something worse -- an earthquake.

"When you're on top of a small earthquake it generates a boom. It's kind of similar to an explosion," Holland said. "I know these booms have been reported in other places and they couldn't figure out what was going on."

"We have no way to predict the future. Earthquakes aren't predictable," Holland said. "Certainly the more earthquakes we have, the more likely we are to have a larger one."
I saw a commercial a few nights ago for a special that is to be aired soon on TV called "Years of living dangerously" and which features a number of "celebrities" and focuses on the string of disasters and calamities that have been plaguing the world for more than a decade with increasing frequency and violence. I'm curious as to what sort of spin will be placed on the events, though I suspect it will be more about our environmental recklessness, global warming, or some other anthropomorphic causative agents. I also suspect a rallying call to suppress either the population or our energy wasteful lifestyles (and probably by more jet setters.) I know more than one individual striving against the truth that makes the claim that things have always been like this, but we know more about these events because of the speed and extent of electronic communications (however, these individuals also appear worried over what they claim to be normal and unchanging since the dawn of man.)
I believe that I'd heard some unexplained "booms" within the last few nights on the New Jersey shore, but I don't know if there were any local earthquakes. A coworker from the Northern part of the state claims that there's been a lot of activity around the Ramapo fault and that small quakes have become common. I dreamt about a big one in the city, but that was shortly before Sept. 11, 2001, so I assumed that the dream was symbolic in nature. Perhaps it was just a dream at that. I have trained men telling me repeatedly that there are no more prophets, so I guess if one sees things happen before they do it's just some fluke (or some demonic work of dark deception:)
I'll be curious to see what happens the next time that we pass through the asteroid belt, having seen a small piece explode over Russia and a much bigger rock pass by somewhere between the Earth and the Moon (obviously close enough to have undergone velocity changes and orbital shift by its close passage). Oh, I forgot, it can't hit the earth like the object described in the book of Revelation because the church is supposed to be "raptured" away before such things occur. I'm no expert on celestial mechanics and it could be that the orbital changes will swing the thing way clear of us. If a model has been generated by astronomers since the "near miss," I'm sure that I haven't seen it.

dadman

Feb 16, 2014
Kansas
dadmansabode.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
about a year ago .. there was a 3.5 in SE Oklahoma .. it was the first quake I ever felt (in Wichita KS) ..
my wife and I were watching TV .. I was sitting in a recliner ..
it felt like someone came up from behind me and just grabbed my chair and just SHOOK it
I looked at my wife and she looked at me .. I said: "we just felt an earthquake" .. WOW !!. . . s o b e r i n g