5 Criteria and 11 Categories about losing eternal life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
KingJ said:
You can't read John 5:24 without a verse like James 2:19. We must listen to what Jesus said in Matt 16:16-24 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

We do not get preferential treatment from God just because we are living after the cross. God is impartial. The requirements to come to God and please Him have always been the same. Psalms 51:17 and taking up our cross.

As for the law....Many prophets fell short, but their faith was accounted to them for righteousness. In fact it would be safe to say all fell short. Trying to obey the law, whilst having a contrite heart and broken and contrite spirit got the OT people into Abraham's bosom. Just as today it gets us into heaven. Jesus is not a get out of jail free ticket. The only ''greater'' thing of the new covenant is that the law is written on our hearts. We are now in fact more accountable for knowing and doing those things that please Him.
Taking up your cross is not what you think it is. If you think it is related to outward actions then you have missed the point. It is a mindset. And BTW, Jesus IS a get out of Jail ticket!! Why do you think He is called SAVIOR? What in the world do you think He was doing up on that cross? "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world".
As well, we do in fact get preferential treatment from God as children of God, if we are born after God through faith in the sacrifice of Jesus. 1John 2:1,though it exhorts us to not sin, also assures us that if we do sin, Jesus has not failed to accomplish what He set out to do, as He is named as our advocate with the Father. If your old man has been crucified with Christ (through faith in Him), then most assuredly you have taken up your cross. One cannot have been crucified with Him if he had not taken up he cross.

In reference to denying oneself, we must understand that we are saved by grace and not of works..."not of ourselves, lest any man should boast" (Eph.2:9).. This is how we deny our self. In fact, the original issue was not sin. It was pride. It was the exaltation of self. This was Lucifer's downfall, who determined to take on the role of God, forsaking his God given role and purpose. Sin arrived as a result of the original issue, thus sin became an issue. But it is and always has been a mere symptom and not the cause. Are symptoms a problem? Of course. But the solution that mankind has taken on concerning symptoms is to remove them and feel that they have solved the problem. However, this does not happen in any permanent way until the cause is dealt with. (health and medical professionals, take note)

However, what Jesus did on the cross was to remove sin as the main issue that separates man from God. Jesus satisfied the wages of sin and the judgment thereof. What this accomplished was to remove sin out of the way so that the original issue could come back into the forefront. Thus, God gives grace to the humble and resists the proud.

The constant bringing back of sin into the arena of contention between God and man, is a distraction from the real issue. Furthermore it serves as a subtle means to retain the original offense, as they who think their behavior is what is sustaining their standing are putting their confidence in self rather than in Jesus. There is a constant bombardment upon and against the church to keep self on the throne by implanting a self serving and self saving agenda into the minds of the unsuspecting and weak, by teaching them that they must save themselves through their own effort and resources.

As well, you mentioned the law in our hearts. Concerning this fact, we need to keep it in its proper perspective. In Gal.3:21, we read that ..."if there had been a law given that could have brought life, then truly righteousness would have been by the law". This holds true for the law written in our hearts as well, Do not confuse the cause with the effect. The law in our hearts is the result of the life that was given to us by faith. It is not there to bring us life, but rather to express the life we have in Christ. Therefore this law in our hearts is not there for the purpose of justifying us any more than than any other law. To imply that we must keep this inner law to be justified is to put the cart before the horse. If we were not already justified, this law would not reside in us.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
To imply that we must keep this inner law to be justified is to put the cart before the horse.
Willie you are not grasping what I am saying ^_^. Nobody in the OT / ever successfully kept the law, yet there were people in Abrahams bosom. Hence I am not saying we must 'keep the inner law' to assure salvation.

Best example I can think of is marriage. It pleases our wives if we clean the garden, have a daily bath, work to put food on the table, do not look too much at other woman....yet not doing these things will not necessarily result in divorce. Only if we were to continue in an extremity of rebellion would we lose our salvation / get divorced. If I were to continue in adultery, I leave my wife as my heart is now after someone else. She does not divorce me, I force my heart to leave her.

As for carrying our cross, I can't see how I have it wrong? Jesus / God showed us the decision before us, as He too had to make it in Luke 22:42. Jesus chose to keep to His promise to us and took up His cross. He asks us to do likewsie in Acts 17:11. Our cross is hence us daily being prepared / able to lay our lives down for Him. Sure we make many mistakes and once-off major ones...but we do not continue in the major acts of rebellion...because we choose to keep Him on the throne.

OSAS if once 'truly saved' is 'almost' right ;).

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
KingJ said:
Nobody in the OT / ever successfully kept the law, yet there were people in Abrahams bosom.
... OSAS if once 'truly saved' is 'almost' right
The OT says that some were actually RIGHTEOUS.
The NT says that some were actually RIGHTEOUS.
Jesus says that some were actually RIGHTEOUS.
... prior to Jesus' gospel ever being preached.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
evangelist-7 said:
The OT says that some were actually RIGHTEOUS.
The NT says that some were actually RIGHTEOUS.
Jesus says that some were actually RIGHTEOUS.
... prior to Jesus' gospel ever being preached.
When you word it like that I have to remind myself you are not a Calvinist ;).

Yes, you would have to be righteous to qualify for Abraham's bosom OT or heaven NT. The issue is how were they justified as righteous? Psalms 51:17 has not changed OT or NT and nobody is righteous under the law. It was because David's / Abraham / Moses's hearts were after God's own heart...just as ours is.

musterion

Aug 4, 2013
justaname said:
Can you expand on what you mean by nonsense?

1 Corinthians 14:33
I can't tell if you got an actual, clear answer to your question yet. If you see it, please point it out to me because I don't.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
musterion said:
I can't tell if you got an actual, clear answer to your question yet. If you see it, please point it out to me because I don't.
I think he is saying Paul did not mean they really were slaves to God, but they need to earn that title. Maybe he thinks the Holy Spirit was being facetious there.

Maybe I am the facetious one now.

Christ Alone!