7 PAGAN FESTIVALS WE STILL CELEBRATE TODAY ~ under the guise of Christian celebrations and names.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL...too easy.
When the Israelites were liberated from slavery in Egypt, they paused at the foot of Mt Sinai and vowed to obey their God. Whilst Moses went up to receive God's Commandments, they thought he was taking too long, so they decided to hold "a festival to the LORD" but instead of obeying their God in the matter of idolatry, they asked Aaron to make them a golden calf which they called "Yahweh"......they had fused false worship with true worship....supposedly celebrating their God........what was God's response? 3,000 Israelites died that day.

They were never permitted to form their own festivals again. All "holy conventions" were strictly controlled by God's law. When they were held....what preparations were made and every aspect that could leave room for human thinking was removed.

But we don't really think that the RCC ever got that memo since its whole agenda was incorporating as much pagan Roman thinking into their worship as possible, making the pagans feel quite at home with their rebranded festivals.
WRONG.

They weren't celebrating GOD - they were worshipping a FALSE god.
Try again . . .

Reactions: The Learner

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In truth you cannot prove your assertion.

Furthermore, it is disingenuous for Jehovah Witnesses who are also members here to argue this matter when they do not respect any religious holidays, nor for that matter do they accept the divinity of Jesus. This in part based on John 17:3.

Also, why is this such a passionate issue for some? Who argue,often using Ad Hominem's, their point?

It certainly cannot be to defend their presumption on Biblical principle when their behavior in commission of their argument often violates them.

Some don't celebrate Christian holy days. OK. That's the beauty in freedom of choice.

The Pagan historic angle is actually a red herring. The secular community has Pagan influences in our calendars too. So too does the Christian Biblical account of its history and faith.
12 tribes of Israel,12 Disciples, 12 moon's (months) if the year,12 signs of the zodiac.

Pagan Savior God myths predate Jewish and Christian scripture.
Jews were polytheistic first.
Ours is the Judeo-Christian faith and practice. Judaism is the first covenant.

On and on it goes.

History gives us opportunity to continue to dissect our faith to its bare bones.

I think those who choose to take issue with holy days some Christians respect is something else entirely.

How do offensive positions on these topics justify their resorting to name calling in an effort to condemn and judge someone else for celebrating Christs Mass?

Are we going to dissect our faith to argue why we shouldn't trust in Jesus because ancient people's had their own first?
i'm here for the 'origin(s)' of the man-made holidays versus the God Given accurate account.

Does not matter to me who celebrates 'christmas' = no judgment cast

i have not taken notice of any name calling.............if i did throw some out just let me know = peace

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it's MY informed opinion that He was born on December 25th.

Ever wonder why the Eastern Churches celebrate Christmas on January 6th - 12 days later?
It's because they do by the older Julian calendar, which had an extra of 12 days than our Gregorian calendar - but we're all on the same track.
Well of course it's your opinion for Dec 25th - you're a roman catholic devotee

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In truth you cannot prove your assertion.

Furthermore, it is disingenuous for Jehovah Witnesses who are also members here to argue this matter when they do not respect any religious holidays, nor for that matter do they accept the divinity of Jesus. This in part based on John 17:3.

Also, why is this such a passionate issue for some? Who argue,often using Ad Hominem's, their point?

It certainly cannot be to defend their presumption on Biblical principle when their behavior in commission of their argument often violates them.

Some don't celebrate Christian holy days. OK. That's the beauty in freedom of choice.

The Pagan historic angle is actually a red herring. The secular community has Pagan influences in our calendars too. So too does the Christian Biblical account of its history and faith.
12 tribes of Israel,12 Disciples, 12 moon's (months) if the year,12 signs of the zodiac.

Pagan Savior God myths predate Jewish and Christian scripture.
Jews were polytheistic first.
Ours is the Judeo-Christian faith and practice. Judaism is the first covenant.

On and on it goes.

History gives us opportunity to continue to dissect our faith to its bare bones.

I think those who choose to take issue with holy days some Christians respect is something else entirely.

How do offensive positions on these topics justify their resorting to name calling in an effort to condemn and judge someone else for celebrating Christs Mass?

Are we going to dissect our faith to argue why we shouldn't trust in Jesus because ancient people's had their own first?
That is a good point. " To each, his own", applies to many things. One person"s holiday is another's day of regret or sadness.
What is a holiday anyways? It simply means holy-day, which a special day set apart. We are not under the LAW, we are under GRACE. The Israelites kept many holy days and feasted on them. They were special days to remember what God did for them. Can we celebrate them too? Sure, there is no law against celebrating special days, works of God. Passover is a big holy day. Rosh Hashanah is another. Celebrate what God has done and everything that is good, God has done. Jesus was born, celebrate. They didn't know the date for sure, so the Emporor Constantine established one in 325 AD. The Magi brought gifts and we give gifts to eachother in that spirit. Jesus rose from the dead - the most important day in history - celebrate it. I think the Disciples remembered that day.
But we are not limited to those days. God created me on 11-22-55. My family and friends can celebrate, thanking God for that. In Job 1 we see them celebrating birthdays. "His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each one on his day, and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them." Job 1:4
In the way God freed the Israelites from Egypt, God liberated America from England. We celebrate Independence Day. A holiday is any special day that you hold dear and know God worked for good on that day, He did something special for you.
We have freedom to celebrate anything we want as long as it is good. The day Jesus returns and rids the planet of evil is a day I will celebrate for a 1000 years.

CELEBRATE

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Fullness of the Gentiles @BlessedPeace @L.A.M.B.

IMO = Jesus was born during Purim

Here is some informative reading = Jesus Celebrated Purim | Life and Land
I researched it by who was in charge of the census at the time of his birth. It was NOT DEC.Thanks @David in NJ .
Emperor Augustus
Contrary to the Gospel of Matthew, which places Jesus's birth in the time of Herod I, the Gospel of Luke (2:1–5) correlates it with the census: In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered.

Reactions: David in NJ

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's ignorant people like YOU who believe that we can ONLY do things by Scriptural mandate.
Not true. JW's don't abide by actual scripture. Their 1870 man made via Charles Taze Russell , tradition operates through Eisegesis tenets. Not Biblical Exegesis..

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I researched it by who was in charge of the census at the time of his birth. It was NOT DEC.Thanks @David in NJ .
Emperor Augustus
Contrary to the Gospel of Matthew, which places Jesus's birth in the time of Herod I, the Gospel of Luke (2:1–5) correlates it with the census: In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered.
Just to confirm with everyone = i do not know the exact date when JESUS was born

i do find it quite TELLING that there are two accounts of HISTORIC AND PROFOUND "gift giving" celebrations in Scripture.

The First is Purim and the Last is the world celebrating the death of the Two Witnesses = quite profound and distinct

Both accounts revolve around 'DO or DIE' global impacting scenarios.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
@Fullness of the Gentiles @BlessedPeace @L.A.M.B.

IMO = Jesus was born during Purim

Here is some informative reading = Jesus Celebrated Purim | Life and Land
It says many Jews at the time worshiped the Bel of the Persians, the same god the pre-Islamic Arabs worshiped by making pilgrimage to Mecca and walking around the black stone. It's also the Persian Haman who wanted all Jews annihilated. Interesting. Types and anti-types.

Jesus was/is a Jew, so I've no doubt that He observed all the Jewish feast days, the biblical and the non-biblical (Purim being found in the Bible). He followed the customs of His people. I've always said that if Jesus had to appear on earth when Pesach/Easter falls on the same dates, I doubt He wouldn't go have a pickled fish meal with non-Jewish Christians. He would go eat the Pesach seder with Jewish believers.

But why do you believe Jesus was born during Purim?

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
And it's MY informed opinion that He was born on December 25th.

Ever wonder why the Eastern Churches celebrate Christmas on January 6th - 12 days later?
It's because they do by the older Julian calendar, which had an extra of 12 days than our Gregorian calendar - but we're all on the same track.
Which going by the Biblical evidence regarding Shepherds out watching their flocks at night and Zechariah of the course of Abijah ministering in the Temple, etc etc, is the wrong track.

But your Roman Bishops took the churches of Christ off the right track in many other ways, so ..

PS: Jesus never gave anyone His flesh to eat. He was using a metaphor, and He said so immediately afterward, saying what He meant. We also do not crucify Christ over and over and over when we partake of the unleavened bread that represents His body that was given for all.

John 6
54 Whoever partakes of My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed.
56 He who partakes of My flesh and drinks My blood dwells in Me, and I in him.

58 This is the Bread which came down from Heaven, not as your fathers ate the manna, and died; he who partakes of this Bread shall live forever.

63 It is the Spirit that makes alive, the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit and are life.

Verse 63. He was not talking of giving His actual flesh to anyone to eat - but you cause people to believe they are cannibals eating the actual flesh of the One who you crucify over and over.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says many Jews at the time worshiped the Bel of the Persians, the same god the pre-Islamic Arabs worshiped by making pilgrimage to Mecca and walking around the black stone. It's also the Persian Haman who wanted all Jews annihilated. Interesting. Types and anti-types.

Jesus was/is a Jew, so I've no doubt that He observed all the Jewish feast days, the biblical and the non-biblical (Purim being found in the Bible). He followed the customs of His people. I've always said that if Jesus had to appear on earth when Pesach/Easter falls on the same dates, I doubt He wouldn't go have a pickled fish meal with non-Jewish Christians. He would go eat the Pesach seder with Jewish believers.

But why do you believe Jesus was born during Purim?
There are some things in the link i posted that i do not agree with BUT there was some very relevant info.

Did JESUS tell us, covertly, of His Birthday???

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Just as in the True Story of Purim, it is a LIFE or DEATH decision and without a Savior = all perish!
But with the Savior all can receive the Gift that keeps on Giving!

IMO from David in NJ

Reactions: Zao is life

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is this what you think this is about? Is it just a matter of freedom of choice when our choices will either condemn us or save us at the end of the day. We need to make the choices that God wants us to make, rather than trying to justify something they love, but that God hates.

What kind of Christian sees someone trapped in a hole and doesn't want to help them get out of it?

The Christian who is content to sit on his porch reading his Bible knowing that a storm has washed away the bridge that is around a blind corner from his house, is no Christian at all. A real Christian would be down there on the road warning as many as possible that the road they are traveling has been washed away.....those who don't believe him will carry on, and are never seen again. But not one of them will be on his conscience.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
There are some things in the link i posted that i do not agree with BUT there was some very relevant info.

Did JESUS tell us, covertly, of His Birthday???

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Just as in the True Story of Purim, it is a LIFE or DEATH decision and without a Savior = all perish!
But with the Savior all can receive the Gift that keeps on Giving!

IMO from David in NJ
Yes but that also goes for the blood of the Lamb on your 'doorpost' also saving you. So every festival (firsfruits being the day of his resurrection) speaks of our Savior. Day of Atonement also, which comes at the mid-point of every seven-year cycle. Jesus was crucified, making atonement for our sin, in the midst of seven weeks, on Passover. Tabernacles being Jesus tabernacled among His people. Etc.

I go with Jesus being born around the time of Tabernacles.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Is this what you think this is about? Is it just a matter of freedom of choice when our choices will either condemn us or save us at the end of the day. We need to make the choices that God wants us to make, rather than trying to justify something they love, but that God hates.

What kind of Christian sees someone trapped in a hole and doesn't want to help them get out of it?

The Christian who is content to sit on his porch reading his Bible knowing that a storm has washed away the bridge that is around a blind corner from his house, is no Christian at all. A real Christian would be down there on the road warning as many as possible that the road they are traveling has been washed away.....those who don't believe him will carry on, and are never seen again. But not one of them will be on his conscience.
I think you're going too far. It's the blood of Jesus - His death and resurrection, His sacrifice for our sins that saves us. Not the day of the week we choose to rest, nor the day of year we choose to remember His birth, if we even choose to remember His birth. You're making other things as powerful to save as the blood of Christ.

It's our faith in Jesus and all He stands for that is the only conduit for our salvation. We are not saved by our faith, either. We are saved by what Jesus did for us, and the free gift comes to us through our simple belief/faith in Him.

You are adding "thou shalt not" laws and then figuratively speaking stoning to death all who dare disobey your laws.

Romans 14:5 One indeed esteems a day above another day; and another esteems every day alike. Let each one be fully assured in his own mind.

• Love