9 "Christian Phrases" That Aren't Actually Biblical

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

r4hnsn

Feb 18, 2016
Hi Angelina, are you agreeing with his statements and sentiments?

I couldnt get past his first quip about Jer 29:11 not being for all believers. Strange that because i take all the promises in the bible as yes and amen.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I agree with everything Martin Saunders wrote in this link Angelina, even about Jeremiah because indeed that is directed to a certain people in a certain time and although some may be able to apply it to their lives in a spiritual vein, it is not directed to us today as believers.
Thanks for sharing this.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi r4nsn, I do think believers use specific "Christian talkology" and catch phases that seem to be inappropriately applied to given situations, however, I do not necessarily agree with his interpretation of those situations.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
For example: 3. God won't give you more than you can bear.
The writer is using the idea that temptation equals hardship/trial, where I've always believed that temptation equals the wrestle between our soulish desires and what we know to be the right thing to do as believers in Christ.

r4hnsn

Feb 18, 2016
Yes i agree that its easy to speak christianeze if were not careful to be sincere, but i take the literal bible verses literally like a little child. We should also take the conditions set forth to obtain the promises and avoid the curses, for "without a cause the curse does not alight". The figurative verses are a different kettle of fish however.

I am reminded of a christian friend who was cynical of a brother who rejoiced at a mishap that befell him, out of the two which one do you think still rejoices in Gods goodness? Job said "though He slay me still i will trust in Him"

I think we need to be wary of defending the sinner and thereby accusing God. Yes we should be sensitive to those bereaved or hurting, but also becareful not to help the accuser of the brethren.

Ok so will God give us more than we can bear? This is not possible as He is for us and not against us, and tells Satan "this far and no further". What some forget is God does not spare the flesh over the spirit. He is not against our comfort and happiness, but our eternal security and progress in holiness are His first priority. First seek the kingdom (rules of engagement) and His righteousness (holy living) and the rest will follow in due seasons. (my paraphrase).

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I think the writer has a different interpretation on some of the points he made. I agree with his topic choice but find that his examples have a lot to be desired. 3. God won't give you more than you can bear.

Here's an example; Your an alcoholic who has chosen to stop drinking because it has damaged the relationship with your family and caused you to be in debt due to drink driving fines etc. It has been very hard not to stop off after work for a few with the buddies but you have succeeded in avoiding that situation. A friend offers you a ride home after work but he's told you that he has to stop off at the pub for a birthday drink with his mates and that he is welcome to join them. He has put a tab on the bar and all drinks are free till it runs out.

Another friend also offers you a ride home but is going to drop you off straight to your house.

1 Corinthians 10
13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think the author's point was that God will give you not what you think you can bear or what other people think you can bear but what he knows you can bear.
Paul says that we are given this Earthly vessel so that the Excellency and the power of the Holy Spirit can shine through. That does mean the we aren't always able to bear what we are subject to but that God is able to underpin us so that we can. Just flippantly saying God won't give you more than you can bear does not really do it for me and never has. God knows, I don't!

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
I think the author's point was that God will give you not what you think you can bear or what other people think you can bear but what he knows you can bear.
Paul says that we are given this Earthly vessel so that the Excellency and the power of the Holy Spirit can shine through. That does mean the we aren't always able to bear what we are subject to but that God is able to underpin us so that we can. Just flippantly saying God won't give you more than you can bear does not really do it for me and never has. God knows, I don't!
See the bolded part is where it's at. I can't bear a lot on my own, but "if God be for me, who can be against me?" With God, I can bear anything. The problem is that we always have the mentality of doing everything without God, but if we're born again Christians, there is never a time when we're without Him. We should just go about life assuming that God is going to underpin us and give us the grace to overcome.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
forrestcupp said:
See the bolded part is where it's at. I can't bear a lot on my own, but "if God be for me, who can be against me?" With God, I can bear anything. The problem is that we always have the mentality of doing everything without God, but if we're born again Christians, there is never a time when we're without Him. We should just go about life assuming that God is going to underpin us and give us the grace to overcome.
Yes, as long as we don't fall into a the situation where we're taking God for granted. James 4:13-17

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Yes, as long as we don't fall into a the situation where we're taking God for granted. James 4:13-17
It's all about where your faith is. "Without faith it is impossible to please God," and "The just shall live by faith." If you have the mentality that you're doing everything on your own, you're not approaching God with faith. If you get to a point where you're taking God for granted, you're also not approaching Him with faith. It takes always being mindful of an active relationship with God. I think that's probably a big part of what Paul was talking about when he said "pray without ceasing." Obviously we have responsibilities and we can't always just be stuffed away in a prayer closet praying. But we can at all times be mindful that God is within us, and invest in that active relationship with Him. There is also a balance of looking at God as our friend, lover, or "Papa" and not losing the fear, respect, and reverence for Him as God Almighty.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
forrestcupp said:
It's all about where your faith is. "Without faith it is impossible to please God," and "The just shall live by faith." If you have the mentality that you're doing everything on your own, you're not approaching God with faith. If you get to a point where you're taking God for granted, you're also not approaching Him with faith. It takes always being mindful of an active relationship with God. I think that's probably a big part of what Paul was talking about when he said "pray without ceasing." Obviously we have responsibilities and we can't always just be stuffed away in a prayer closet praying. But we can at all times be mindful that God is within us, and invest in that active relationship with Him. There is also a balance of looking at God as our friend, lover, or "Papa" and not losing the fear, respect, and reverence for Him as God Almighty.
I understand, but what Paul is teaching in 1st Thessalonians 5 is not to 'pray without ceasing'. That would be the King James interpretation. Basically what you see Paul saying is; Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
In context, Paul was leaving the Thessalonians with instructions about their lifestyle. Nowhere does this imply 24/7 unceasing prayer.

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
I understand, but what Paul is teaching in 1st Thessalonians 5 is not to 'pray without ceasing'. That would be the King James interpretation. Basically what you see Paul saying is; Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
In context, Paul was leaving the Thessalonians with instructions about their lifestyle. Nowhere does this imply 24/7 unceasing prayer.
Right. That's what I was saying.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
He forgot the one about taking all things in moderation.

But I suppose he did focus on stuff with some scriptural support.