A FORM OF FREEDOM

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So part of that renewal of the mind is to accept who we are in Christ and not beat ourselves for what we aren't. That sort of thinking keeps us in the cage. We can sing beautiful songs to God but we will never fly free if we continue with that thinking.

Hi Pearl,

I think that when we understand God's forgiveness for us, then we stop being condemning of others. We stop being afraid He's going to drop us, or let us go, or that we will leave Him.

Once we have our sweet place of safety in God's loving arms, and we understand that there is nothing about me that will stop Him from making me a more fruitful child other then my disbelief that He is and can, when I simply accept that this is so, faith frees me to live and be all He wants. So instead of fear, trust. Instead of division, love.

Yes, those bars can wear many names. I believe they are all dissolved by knowing God's love and forgiveness.

Much love!
mark

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He freed us indeed, Yet how many act as if they are free, so many still act as if their freedom depend on them, not on what He has done for and in us. :(

and @Nancy
Hi ladies, :)

We all do what comes naturally according to our nature, whether the old nature, or the born again of the Spirit of Christ nature. If by the old nature, then yes you are trying to perform "works" not in accordance with your carnal nature. If by the new nature, it is easy to do what you love. However, a born again Christian must also guard their heart and not be unequally yoked with too many temptations. That is when we ARE responsible to not grieve or quench the Spirit. But when totally abiding in Jesus, it is easy and FREE.

Reactions: farouk and Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Pearl,

I think that when we understand God's forgiveness for us, then we stop being condemning of others. We stop being afraid He's going to drop us, or let us go, or that we will leave Him.

Once we have our sweet place of safety in God's loving arms, and we understand that there is nothing about me that will stop Him from making me a more fruitful child other then my disbelief that He is and can, when I simply accept that this is so, faith frees me to live and be all He wants. So instead of fear, trust. Instead of division, love.

Yes, those bars can wear many names. I believe they are all dissolved by knowing God's love and forgiveness.

Much love!
mark
Ideally that would be true but you've only to look at forums like this to see that for some who call themselves Christian condemnation of others is a way of life. As a new Christian I tried so hard to life up to what I though I ought to be; comparing myself unfavourably to other women. And then after some time out of fellowship I thought, you know what, I don't care what they think, God loves me for who I am. I found myself and got free of all that pressure. Perhaps that sort of thing doesn't happen to men but I know an awful lot of Christian women who have suffered from the same affliction of considering ourselves not good enough.

Reactions: Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ideally that would be true but you've only to look at forums like this to see that for some who call themselves Christian condemnation of others is a way of life. As a new Christian I tried so hard to life up to what I though I ought to be; comparing myself unfavourably to other women. And then after some time out of fellowship I thought, you know what, I don't care what they think, God loves me for who I am. I found myself and got free of all that pressure. Perhaps that sort of thing doesn't happen to men but I know an awful lot of Christian women who have suffered from the same affliction of considering ourselves not good enough.
Thoughtful post; I think it takes a real spiritual effort and exercise to keep 'looking unto Jesus' (Hebrews 12.2) and not fall back often to comparing oneself with others.

Reactions: Pearl

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So if you recognise this feeling that you are in a ‘cage’ let me strongly encourage you to remove all the restrictions in your lives...
These "restrictions" need to be clearly defined. By definition, there will be many restrictions in the Christian life in order to live godly in Christ Jesus.

TITUS 2
GRACE

11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

RESTRICTIONS
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

THE BLESSED HOPE
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

MORE RESTRICTIONS
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
These "restrictions" need to be clearly defined. By definition, there will be many restrictions in the Christian life in order to live godly in Christ Jesus.

TITUS 2
GRACE

RESTRICTIONS
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

THE BLESSED HOPE
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

MORE RESTRICTIONS
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

I really think that most of the posts on here are missing the point, including this one.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

TITUS 2
GRACE

RESTRICTIONS

THE BLESSED HOPE

MORE RESTRICTIONS
It's all part of the impetus toward continuing sanctification (rather than law-keeping) in every child of God.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes. It's not what you say I am, it's what God says I am. That's what counts.

Reminds me of a song . . . "I am chosen, not forsaken, I am who you say I am! You are for me, not against me, I am who you say I am. Who the Son sets free, oh is free indeed, I'm a child of God, yes I am! In my Father's house is a place for me, I'm a child of God, yes I am!" - Hillsong "Who You Say I am"

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So part of that renewal of the mind is to accept who we are in Christ and not beat ourselves for what we aren't.
Yes we are to accept what we are in Christ, but we are commanded to be holy as God is holy. Every sinner starts out as unholy and sinful, therefore the New Birth is the beginning of a process of sanctification which shuns sin and evil and loves truth and righteous. If that means constantly repenting of our sins, idols, and failures, then that is what God expects.

There has been a recent trend to ignore the necessity of SEPARATION from the world, sin, evil, and nonsense. The world and its ways have been taking churches captive. Entertainment instead of worship. The tickling of ears instead of sound doctrine. A watered down Gospel instead of the true and full Gospel. Refusal to preach on sin, Hell, and eternal damnation. Focusing exclusively on the love of God while ignoring His wrath against sin and sinners. And salvation becoming a license to keep on sinning. So if you have to beat up yourself for failing to meet God's standards, then that is what you have to do. That is what all churches should be doing -- repenting of their falling away.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely true farouk. The further we get the more faults and weaknesses seem to come to light for Him to deal with. It's a good job He doesn't show us all those things at once. Perhaps he works on a priority basis. :)

Not my priorites, I'll tell you that!

Of course, in saying that, I'm admitting that I don't know what is most important to do first.

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes we are to accept what we are in Christ, but we are commanded to be holy as God is holy. Every sinner starts out as unholy and sinful, therefore the New Birth is the beginning of a process of sanctification which shuns sin and evil and loves truth and righteous. If that means constantly repenting of our sins, idols, and failures, then that is what God expects.

There has been a recent trend to ignore the necessity of SEPARATION from the world, sin, evil, and nonsense. The world and its ways have been taking churches captive. Entertainment instead of worship. The tickling of ears instead of sound doctrine. A watered down Gospel instead of the true and full Gospel. Refusal to preach on sin, Hell, and eternal damnation. Focusing exclusively on the love of God while ignoring His wrath against sin and sinners. And salvation becoming a license to keep on sinning. So if you have to beat up yourself for failing to meet God's standards, then that is what you have to do. That is what all churches should be doing -- repenting of their falling away.
Only God can make us holy as we submit to him - we can't do it for ourselves. As the saying goes, 'A leopard can't change its spots.' No but God can.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our repentance is a one time thing, to exchange our mind of the flesh for the Mind of Christ.

After that comes God's sanctification of our lives.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Our repentance is a one time thing, to exchange our mind of the flesh for the Mind of Christ.

After that comes God's sanctification of our lives.

Much love!
...and it's a continuing thing, not to be repented of... (2 Corinthians 7.10). :)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...comparing myself unfavourably to other women. ...
I suppose this is really what make up and jewelry is often about, not necessarily about showing men, but about being conscious of how other women look. In a broader clear skies perspective, it's a real exercise to look above, as per Hebrews 12.2.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and @Nancy
Hi ladies, :)

We all do what comes naturally according to our nature, whether the old nature, or the born again of the Spirit of Christ nature. If by the old nature, then yes you are trying to perform "works" not in accordance with your carnal nature. If by the new nature, it is easy to do what you love. However, a born again Christian must also guard their heart and not be unequally yoked with too many temptations. That is when we ARE responsible to not grieve or quench the Spirit. But when totally abiding in Jesus, it is easy and FREE.

Yes...it would be like a dog going back to it's own vomit to be yoked with too many temptations. God has given me the grace to keep myself from them by taking away the desire FOR them...He is so good ♥ A Christian who truly is seeking His face will remove themselves from the sources of those temptations. ♥

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: Here is 2 Corinthians 7.10 in the KJV:

"For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death."

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me the symbolism of the cage was more to do with bars of our own making rather than sin. Possible self condemnation could be part of what keeps us in a cage instead of flying free as the eagles God intends us to be. But also it can be the condemnation of others, even if it's only in the form of a look or word that we take to heart. We can allow ourselves to be trapped by what people think of us and our own thoughts about who we are.

We should concentrate on who God says we are and not even try to conform to the ways of the world.
Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

So part of that renewal of the mind is to accept who we are in Christ and not beat ourselves for what we aren't. That sort of thinking keeps us in the cage. We can sing beautiful songs to God but we will never fly free if we continue with that thinking.

Isaiah 49:16 KJV
[16] Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

Tecarta Bible

Reactions: farouk

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes...it would be like a dog going back to it's own vomit to be yoked with too many temptations. God has given me the grace to keep myself from them by taking away the desire FOR them...He is so good ♥ A Christian who truly is seeking His face will remove themselves from the sources of those temptations. ♥

Yes, I'm proud of you, friend! It is so nice to have friends that talk the same language!