A Form of godliness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Tim 3:5,

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
Clearly the folks Paul is talking about are not actually godly at all. Note verses 1-4 make that clear. However it is equally clear they have a "form" of godliness. Apparently someone being in the "form" of something else does not make that person to actually be that something.

Phil 2:6,

Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
What is it that makes this verse's usage of "form" any different? Why is it that here one person, i.e., Jesus, being in the "form" of someone else, i.e., God, make Jesus to actually be God?

Reactions: Aunty Jane

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The former is a poser and does not regard or lacks the Spirit of God and its divine characteristics. He can only imitate genuine righteousness and godliness.

The latter however is our lord, who not only possesses the Spirit of God, it actually possesses him. He is given broad authority and in this sense on equal par with his Father, demonstrated in his words and actions.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Clearly the folks Paul is talking about are not actually godly at all. Note verses 1-4 make that clear. However it is equally clear they have a "form" of godliness. Apparently someone being in the "form" of something else does not make that person to actually be that something.

Phil 2:6,

What is it that makes this verse's usage of "form" any different? Why is it that here one person, i.e., Jesus, being in the "form" of someone else, i.e., God, make Jesus to actually be God?
Hi Rich,

Are you aware that two similar but different words are used in those places? They are not the same.

Much love!

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Rich,

Are you aware that two similar but different words are used in those places? They are not the same.

Much love!
Technically you are correct. But maybe not so different?
Philippians uses the word: G3444 μορφή morphe (mor-fee') n.
1. form.​

Timothy uses the word: G3446 μόρφωσις morphosis (mor'-fō-sis) n.
1. formation.
2. (by implication) , appearance (semblance or (concretely) formula).
[from G3445]
Notice the word morphosis (Timothy) is from G3445
G3445 μορφόω morphoo (mor-fo'-ō) v.
to fundamentally form.
[from G3444] The exact same word, morphe used in Philippians
I think the word "form" is a valid translation in both verses and carries the same idea. In other words, both both Greek words translated as "form" are not that different. There is certainly not enough evidence to make the two words virtually diametrically opposed each other as the trinity doctrine demands.

I might also point out that in Jesus' resurrected body he appeared to some of the disciples in "...another form..."

Mark 16:11-12,

11 And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not.

12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.​

The word "form" here is G3444, morphe, the exact word used in Philippians. If "form" does not mean one's outward appearance but instead one's identity, then was Jesus NOT God while he illuminated the scriptures to the folks in Mark 16:11?

One other point. I'm sure if Jesus was God that it was in his mind. Read all of Philippians 2 and you will see that in verse 5 we are told to have the same mind. Are we all to have in mind that we are God? Heavens no!

Jesus, though granted complete power and authority, did not use it for his own benefit. He certainly didn't try to become God! That was exactly what the first Adam did and we all know how that worked. Instead he used that power and authority to serve others and he did so at great personal sacrifice. Philippians 2 is telling us to think the same way. We don't use the power and authority God gave us to satisfy our ego, to think we are God. Remember, that's what Adam did, so it can be done again. Instead we are to use that power and authority in service to others. Romans states it quite succinctly:

Rom 12:1,

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.​

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the word "form" is a valid translation in both verses and carries the same idea. In other words both both Greek words translated as "form" are not that different. There is certainly not enough evidence to make the two words virtually diametrically opposed each other as the trinity doctrine demands.
Diameterically opposed? That's too extreme. They aren't opposites, but one has the same form, the other looks like it. And yes, technically this is correct. So let's leave it being correct, OK?

Is the impetus that you don't like the Trinity implications?

That one word derives from another word doesn't mean they have the same meaning, it has taken on a different meaning, and that is why it's differentiated. Morphe and morphosis, the form, and the appearance, that's what they mean, isn't it?

So Jesus, being in the form of God . . ., and, will have the appearance of Godliness, but not the power.

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read all of Philippians 2 and you will see that in verse 5 we are told to have the same mind.
Go with the context there and you see this isn't what God is telling us. Humble yourself, be a servant, be obedient, this is what He is talking about.

Much love!

Reactions: Johann

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Diameterically opposed? That's too extreme. They aren't opposites, but one has the same form, the other looks like it. And yes, technically this is correct. So let's leave it being correct, OK?

What I like is not part of the equation

That one word derives from another word doesn't mean they have the same meaning, it has taken on a different meaning, and that is why it's differentiated. Morphe and morphosis, the form, and the appearance, that's what they mean, isn't it?

So Jesus, being in the form of God . . ., and, will have the appearance of Godliness, but not the power.

Much love!

Much love!
Any thoughts on something else I posted?

Mark 16:11-12,

11 And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not.

12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.​

The word "form" here is G3444, morphe, the exact word used in Philippians. If "form" does not mean one's outward appearance but instead one's identity, then was Jesus NOT God while he illuminated the scriptures to the folks in Mark 16:11?​

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humble yourself, be a servant, be obedient, this is what He is talking about.

Much love!
Precisely! How did I not say exactly that? But let's forget what I said and just read the verses.

Phil 2:1-4,

1 If [there be] therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,

2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, [being] of one accord, of one mind.

3 [Let] nothing [be done] through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

It'd be pretty hard to miss the message here! :)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why is it that here one person, i.e., Jesus, being in the "form" of someone else, i.e., God, make Jesus to actually be God?
Because Jesus is THE EXPRESS IMAGE of God (Hebrew 1:3). If you have seen Jesus you have seen God the Father (who is invisible and has always been invisible). But what you also need to clearly understand is that Jesus the Man "thought it not robbery to be equal with God". Why? BECAUSE HE HIMSELF IS GOD ("I AM" or deity). Thus we arrive at the conclusion that there are at least two divine persons within the Godhead. And since Jesus told us that the Holy Spirit is also God, that makes up the triune Godhead (or Trinity).

Now the Anti-Trinitarians will become apoplectic because they simply cannot refute these truths which are embedded in Scripture. So they try to misrepresent Scripture.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Not true at all, they have the same meaning in both verses for 'form.' What makes them different is of course the subjects that are different that can give the 'appearance' they have different meanings for the general word derivative 'morphe.'

Both the transliterated Greek words morphe (Phil 2:6) and morphosis (2 Tim 3:5) NEVER mean a literal form or nature, and you must know this already. They both connote a mosaic and outward appearance or form only, nothing more or less. Stop trying to keep finessing new hidden meanings and words that have no effect on either the context in Phil 2:6 or 2 Tim 3:5.

Trinitarians in general seen to not mind how 'we' interpret 2 Tim 3:5 so much, it is the verses of Phil 2:6-9 they believe they own and only their interpretation is valid. And yet they continue to lack logic and use the proper local context in their argument. It then becomes nonsense and useless to them and anyone else reading it.

(Php 2:2) make my joy full by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
(Php 2:3) Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself;
(Php 2:4) each of you not looking to his own things, but each of you to the things of others.
(Php 2:5) Have this mind in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.
(Php 2:6) Who, though being in the mental image of God, did not consider grasping at being equal with God,
(Php 2:7) but poured himself out, taking the mental attitude of a servant, and was the made just the same as all ordinary men.
(Php 2:8) And being perceived as a normal man, he humbled himself, becoming obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
(Php 2:9) Wherefore God highly exalted him, and gave to him the name which is above every name- (NEV)

This translation version above is the closest to what the mosaic outward form means and fits very well in the context...

Remember the entire conversation was spawned because Paul was saying that we should be like-minded and have the mind of Christ. And how do we get that mind? The answer clearly is read in the following verses.

In order for Christ to have the form or mental attitude of his Father he had to first yield his own human will or desires to naught. Else his Father would literally not possess him and provide him his own mental character to become on par with him, or become one or like-minded.

So the mind of his Father also became the mind of his Son after Christ learned to become a true slave to his Father in both his heart-will and mind. Christ had to LEARN this as a human man. See how simple that works. Nothing mysterious or any God-man activity or kenosis processing here as Trinitarians would lead us to believe, and then to believe as they do, in confusion and nonsense.

So we like-wise also LEARN to yield our will and desires over time to our lord Yahshua (his spirit within us, as Christ did with his Father) to become in the form - morphe of the Son, as the Son is in the form of the Father. See how that works? We do not become a god-man either or displace our nature temporarily in this process....

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because Jesus is THE EXPRESS IMAGE of God (Hebrew 1:3). If you have seen Jesus you have seen God the Father (who is invisible and has always been invisible). But what you also need to clearly understand is that Jesus the Man "thought it not robbery to be equal with God". Why? BECAUSE HE HIMSELF IS GOD ("I AM" or deity). Thus we arrive at the conclusion that there are at least two divine persons within the Godhead. And since Jesus told us that the Holy Spirit is also God, that makes up the triune Godhead (or Trinity).

Now the Anti-Trinitarians will become apoplectic because they simply cannot refute these truths which are embedded in Scripture. So they try to misrepresent Scripture.
Can you stick to the verses or at least the Phil 2:6 verse, part of the OP, and explain it without finding and forcing in ridiculous non-supportive meanings from other verses and mainly from your own opinion, as usual. You don't know what Paul was saying at all in Phil 2 and I still see you don't really care as long as you can force an illogical and uninspired conclusion to it that must support your Trinity doctrine.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Because Jesus is THE EXPRESS IMAGE of God (Hebrew 1:3). If you have seen Jesus you have seen God the Father (who is invisible and has always been invisible).
Funny Enoch.
Jesus cannot be said to be the image of something he already is.
There is the thing imaged and the thing imaging it.
You get that right?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have seen Jesus you have seen God the Father (who is invisible and has always been invisible).

This is how you know it is figurative. Same as us being made in the image of the invisible God. Doesn’t make us God.

No. We represent accurately the monotheist Scripture without imposing false trinitarian doctrine onto it.

Reactions: APAK and face2face

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thus we arrive at the conclusion that there are at least two divine persons within the Godhead.

A heretic conclusion that still not a trinity. A heretic conclusion that goes against the Sh’ma, the 1C, ‘For us there is one God, the Father’, and Jesus himself telling us he has a God who is the only true God.

So, you have to ask yourself, do you rely on your conclusion or what Jesus, etc explicitly said on the subject?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A heretic conclusion that still not a trinity. A heretic conclusion that goes against the Sh’ma, the 1C, ‘For us there is one God, the Father’, and Jesus himself telling us he has a God who is the only true God.

So, you have to ask yourself, do you rely on your conclusion or what Jesus, etc explicitly said on the subject?
How many Gods do you believe in?

Gen 1 God said, let US make man in OUR image according to OUR likeness ...

Colossians 1
16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.

Jesus is God the Creator!

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You and all Anti-Trinitarians will NEVER get it. That's because of willful blindness for which there is no remedy.
Here the truth of the matter Enoch.
The true Gospel is seen preached by the Apostles in the book of the Acts right - its fullness is found there via all the speeches it holds and the works they declared.
All the creeds in all the councils thereafter have nothing to offer - discard them totally - shred their philosophies and you are left with the Acts of the Apostles and their true gospel.
You have made it clear to all in this forum you abandoned the Acts of the Apostles for the creeds of men starting with Nicaea and all those thereafter to this point in time.
F2F

Reactions: Episkopos

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many Gods do you believe in?

Gen 1 God said, let US make man in OUR image according to OUR likeness ...

I only believe in one Jack. If Jack said ‘let US make X in OUR image according to OUR likeness,’ I would reach the obvious conclusion that Jack was talking to somebody else.

Only a mystical dualist would conclude the other is himself.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Having a form of godliness (regarding Christianity) is to be religious but lost.
its to know all about Christ but not be "known" by Him, which is .... "depart from me i never knew you".
This person probably belongs to a cult that is works based but not faith based, which produces them to be the same.

Religion in general is a "form of godliness", but there is no POWER, and this is the Grace of God.= The Power
"The Power of God unto Salvation" is the CROSS of Christ, and so, when you are listening to someone talk about the bible, and "bible stuff", yet, there is never any Cross in any of it, regarding how they teach "relationship with God" or "discipleship", or "Christianity", then this person has the form, has the act, has the acting, has the "sound like they are real", and they can fake "fruit", but they are not one of God's.

Jesus being in the form of God, means that He is as God is, yet in a human body.

Reactions: Earburner

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having a form of godliness (regarding Christianity) is to be religious but lost.
its to know all about Christ but not be "known" by Him, which is .... "depart from me i never knew you".
This person probably belongs to a cult that is works based but not faith based, which produces them to be the same.

Religion in general is a "form of godliness", but there is no POWER, and this is the Grace of God.= The Power
"The Power of God unto Salvation" is the CROSS of Christ, and so, when you are listening to someone talk about the bible, and "bible stuff", yet, there is never any Cross in any of it, regarding how they teach "relationship with God" or "discipleship", or "Christianity", then this person has the form, has the act, has the acting, has the "sound like they are real", and they can fake "fruit", but they are not one of God's.

Jesus being in the form of God, means that He is as God is, yet in a human body.
So in Timothy "form" indeed means an outward appearance but in Philippians it's an identity? I guess that's because it works with the trinity that way, that we must interpret everything so as to fit with the trinity. The trinity comes first and then the story. Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.