A question about belief

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Do you love your spouse and trust them, even when you're not literally by their side? Yes.
Likewise Christ loves and trusts the Father, even when he's not literally by the Father's side.
Trust would imply that I believe I could be betrayed. If I don't believe the partner I love could betray me, I needn't be concerned with trusting them.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
V. True. He’s real, but This is revealed not by flesh and blood, but by His Father in Heaven
So you're saying my physical body and all it's senses count for nothing, and knowing Jesus is dependent on a soul/spirit experience?

I guess I need to ask (What senses outside of the physical body does a soul/spirit have to know Jesus is real?)

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trust would imply that I believe I could be betrayed. If I don't believe the partner I love could betray me, I needn't be concerned with trusting them.

And what word would you use to describe that relationship (where you don't believe the partner you love could betray you)?

That's a great word to use to describe the relationship between the Father and Christ.

(Note: you are asking really good questions on your other posts too, but to address one topic at a time, I'm staying focused on this one for now)

Reactions: Helen

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
And what word would you use to describe that relationship (where you don't believe the partner you love could betray you)?

That's a great word to use to describe the relationship between the Father and Christ.

(Note: you are asking really good questions on your other posts too, but to address one topic at a time, I'm staying focused on this one for now)
Actually it's believing the partner I love could betray me before they've betrayed me that becomes the driving force for having trust.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did Jesus as the model of a perfect human have to believe in the father while he lived on earth?
Jesus did not "have to believe" anything. Jesus is God. He was conscious of the Father within Him and He within the Father 24/7.

Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. (John 14:11)

Reactions: Helen

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually it's believing the partner I love could betray me before they've betrayed me that becomes the driving force for having trust.
Let's try to avoid getting caught up in word-games.

You have this relationship with your partner: you love them, you know they're never going to betray you, etc. Correct?

Christ likewise has a relationship with His Father: loving, knowing there'll never be betrayal, etc.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Let's try to avoid getting caught up in word-games.

You have this relationship with your partner: you love them, you know they're never going to betray you, etc. Correct?

Christ likewise has a relationship with His Father: loving, knowing there'll never be betrayal, etc.
Are you saying Jesus could betray Jesus? There is no possibility that Jesus could betray his heavenly father-self.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Jesus did not "have to believe" anything. Jesus is God. He was conscious of the Father within Him and He within the Father 24/7.

Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. (John 14:11)
Why did Jesus say (Believe me) when he was really there with those people?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying Jesus could betray Jesus? There is no possibility that Jesus could betray his heavenly father-self.
Vast vast majority of Christians believe that Christ and the Father are two different persons. Christ doesn't pray to Himself, pat himself on the back during his baptism, etc. They're two different persons in one God.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Vast vast majority of Christians believe that Christ and the Father are two different persons. Christ doesn't pray to Himself, pat himself on the back during his baptism, etc. They're two different persons in one God.
I don't understand the connection to Jesus believing or not.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll break this down and go step by step.

Bob is Joe's son. Bob loves Joe and knows that Joe will never betray him. Even they're not literally beside each other.

That make sense? Are you following me?

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So you're saying my physical body and all it's senses count for nothing, and knowing Jesus is dependent on a soul/spirit experience?

I guess I need to ask (What senses outside of the physical body does a soul/spirit have to know Jesus is real?)
I’m afraid so, we can ‘will’ ourselves to believe-with our volition and pray. ‘Love The Lord with all your heart, soul, ‘mind’ and strength’. But ultimately, the gift of faith comes from Him.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Wouldn't faith under that condition make faith in my partner unique from faith in a God?

Not trying to answer the question posed. I just want to say that when I saw your name, I felt compelled to to let you know that on this forum, "we ride together, we die together."

#BadAgnostics4Life

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I'll break this down and go step by step.

Bob is Joe's son. Bob loves Joe and knows that Joe will never betray him. Even they're not literally beside each other.

That make sense? Are you following me?
You're suggesting that Jesus can betray me by the fact I can trust him. I know I can trust no one because I have been betrayed, n
I’m afraid so, we can ‘will’ ourselves to believe-with our volition and pray. ‘Love The Lord with all your heart, soul, ‘mind’ and strength’. But ultimately, the gift of faith comes from Him.
The heart is connected to the emotional side of our physical brain (Is that not so?)
The mind is made up of chemical and electrical networks spread throughout our physical brain (Is that not so?)
Our own strength need not count regarding the power of a God (Who knows if that is so)

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're suggesting that Jesus can betray me by the fact I can trust him. I know I can trust no one because I have been betrayed, n)
I how zero idea how you go from
"Bob is Joe's son. Bob loves Joe and knows that Joe will never betray him."
to thinking that "Jesus can betray me". That's the literal opposite of what I said.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Jesus has to be real enough to me first before I begin to accept him, right? (Otherwise what would I be accepting if he isn't real enough first)
Jesus of Nazareth
John Doe, from Nowhere
(in rabbi-speak anyway, prolly)
The heart is connected to the emotional side of our physical brain
contemplate Eve as rep of "emotions," maybe
and the two shall become one flesh
lol
prolly more like "having faith" over "believing," even if they do share a synonym. "Belief" per se is discounted in the Bible, @ the "Good" Samaritan, etc
imo

Last edited:

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're suggesting that Jesus can betray me by the fact I can trust him. I know I can trust no one because I have been betrayed, n

The heart is connected to the emotional side of our physical brain (Is that not so?)
The mind is made up of chemical and electrical networks spread throughout our physical brain (Is that not so?)
Our own strength need not count regarding the power of a God (Who knows if that is so)
Yes. I believe there is a connection, and thought of something physical/practical during the night! I was searching for years, but was too impatient to keep on track, and would give up. Then, for the first time, someone gave me a New Testament Bible. I just read john’s Gospel quite a few times (a lot to digest) and faith suddenly came. :)

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Yes. I believe there is a connection, and thought of something physical/practical during the night! I was searching for years, but was too impatient to keep on track, and would give up. Then, for the first time, someone gave me a New Testament Bible. I just read john’s Gospel quite a few times (a lot to digest) and faith suddenly came. :)
I myself have read the Bible extensively, to the point that I disregarded common sense. If I didn't step back and rethink the thing's I believed in some time ago, I would be a hollowed out shell of a human now. But that's me, not you or anyone else.