A question about belief

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Did Jesus as the model of a perfect human have to believe in the father while he lived on earth? Was that the way he saw his other-self who was abiding in the heavens?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Did Jesus as the model of a perfect human have to believe in the father while he lived on earth? Was that the way he saw his other-self who was abiding in the heavens?
John's Gospel, if read carefully, shows that Father and Son were in perfect unity in truth and actions. We need to remember this glorious fact.

Reactions: Nancy

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does that relate here?

Using a human example: If you and your spouse are married for a 50 years, you are "one", as written.
If you or your spouse then went to another country on the other side of the world even, would you stop believing in them, stop trusting them, stop being married to them ?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Christ did believe in the Father, and have knowledge of Him.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

Given Jesus' close relationship with God the Father it is a question of if he even needed to have faith. John 6:46 John 20:29

I think Jesus had faith, because of Matthew 26:39 "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Jesus knew well that he would die shortly for the sins of mankind, yet he still had hope because with God all things are possible.

Reactions: Nancy

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
John's Gospel, if read carefully, shows that Father and Son were in perfect unity in truth and actions. We need to remember this glorious fact.
I am a little confused as why you think truth/actions of a person expands my understanding of why belief is important.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am a little confused as why you think truth/actions of a person expands my understanding of why belief is important.
@Entanglement If you focus on the Lord Jesus as 'the Way, the Truth and the Life; no man cometh unto the Father but by Me' (John 14.6), then its importance is clear.

It is good to talk about what the Bible clearly reveals about the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus, rather than to engage in abstract rationalizing.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
@Entanglement If you focus on the Lord Jesus as 'the Way, the Truth and the Life; no man cometh unto the Father but by Me' (John 14.6), then its importance is clear.

It is good to talk about what the Bible clearly reveals about the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus, rather than to engage in abstract rationalizing.
Jesus has to be real enough to me first before I begin to accept him, right? (Otherwise what would I be accepting if he isn't real enough first)

Reactions: bbyrd009

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Using a human example: If you and your spouse are married for a 50 years, you are "one", as written.
If you or your spouse then went to another country on the other side of the world even, would you stop believing in them, stop trusting them, stop being married to them ?
Two questions pop up in my mind here.

1.(Why does death end a marriage if you are one with your wife/husband)

2.(How does belief fit in when your able to confirm your wife/husband in all 3 dimensions)

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
You know your spouse, and have human-level faith in them?
Even when you’re not literally right beside them?
Maybe, but it wouldn't be the same type of faith as I would have in a God. Consider that I am in love with this person, and that love the reason I want to be with this person for life. Wouldn't faith under that condition make faith in my partner unique from faith in a God?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe, but it wouldn't be the same type of faith as I would have in a God. Consider that I am in love with this person, and that love the reason I want to be with this person for life. Wouldn't faith under that condition make faith in my partner unique from faith in a God?
Faith/love in a family member/spouse is the best starting point a person has in understanding faith/love in God.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think the question I was asking has been addressed in any capacity.
Do you love your spouse and trust them, even when you're not literally by their side? Yes.
Likewise Christ loves and trusts the Father, even when he's not literally by the Father's side.

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus has to be real enough to me first before I begin to accept him, right? (Otherwise what would I be accepting if he isn't real enough first)
V. True. He’s real, but This is revealed not by flesh and blood, but by His Father in Heaven

Last edited: