A question regarding Prayer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Squeak

Nov 13, 2007
The only praying I remember doing as a child was the "Lord, bless this food and drink for Jesus sake, Amen." and another very similar prayer after a meal. Also the "Now I lay me down to sleep..." prayer before bed.Is it right to repeat the same prayer over and over daily? I found that after a while the kids (including myself as a child) would kind of just rattle it off as quickly as possible without having any sort of meaning or feeling in it. Is it even necessary to pray specificly at meal times? I'm not saying is wrong to give thanks to God for the food we have, but this is really the only time I remember my family ever praying. Is this what the Bible states is appropriate for prayer? A repetative prayer uttered before every meal?I'm asking because I want to teach my children how to pray and I just think that a repetative prayer like the one I recited as a child isn't really all that meaningful when you say the same thing over and over again. Also because my kids often hear their cousins saying this prayer, I want to be able to explain it to them.Sorry for hoarding the board today. I've had alot of questions for a long time and I am grateful to have found this board as I don't feel comfortable asking these questions of my family since they would take offence and think that I am insulting their faith/denomination.So I hope you won't mind the sudden barrage of questions.
smile.gif

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
That's exactly how I felt about attending a Catholic mass for(oh say 15 straight years). It was the same prayers, mostly the same songs sung every week...the only thing that was interesting was the 10-15 minute sermon that the priest preached towards the end of mass.And I felt that way when praying the rosary(and the "our father" etc, at bedtime), like "jee, I don't feel like I'm into it" if you know what I mean. It was like I was losing my concentration since it was so monontonous saying it over and over again... I do kinda feel bad for saying this but I did feel that way too, I have to admit. I totally understand what your saying.I found a variety of different prayers on beliefnet to help me out with the "boredness" so to speak, lol.(yikes, sorry Lord).

Squeak

Nov 13, 2007
Thank you FollowChrist. It's nice to know that I am not alone in feeling this way.I do think it can be helpful to teach very young children (like maybe 1-5 year olds maybe) a short, simple, easy to remember prayer in order to teach them what praying is. At an appropriate age, though, I think they should be taught to pray more individually and meanfully than to recite the same prayer over and over every day. I would also think this should be extended to ourselves as adults also.I am not suggesting that everyone who recites the same prayer(s) daily aren't doing it in a meanful way or that it is unacceptable, just that from my own experiences and observances, it appears that it could become monotonous not only to the one praying, but possibly to God as well. Does He really want to hear the same thing over and over everyday without any real thought going into our prayers?

FollowChrist

Dec 21, 2007
(Squeak;29126)
monotonous not only to the one praying, but possibly to God as well. Does He really want to hear the same thing over and over everyday without any real thought going into our prayers?
Exactly my thought, why does he need to hear them over and over again. I was going to state that in my post but I refrained, lol.
biggrin.gif
Thanks Sqeak, that is good advice for how to teach children to pray!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I love the questions guys/gals keep them coming it is good for us to revisit the things we have learned over the years and there are hundreds that read them that are to afraid to ask So by asking these questions it helps many learn the word so its a good thing all the way around.Now for your answer Praying is one of the most misunderstood concepts God does not like repetive prayer anymore than the prayer likes it. God is your father he loves you he wants your love above all how can you learn to love someone by reapting the same prayers over and over ???If your child or spouse only repeated the same things to you over and over how could you know how he was doing or what he was feeling how could you help him.??God wants a personal loving relationship with you he wants you to just talk to him tell him your fears, your doubts, your joys, thank him for whats good in your lifeask him to change whats bad or help you deal with it. To give you strenghth where you are weak to grant you knowledge in his word. As I said he is your father he loves you he wants you to be happy he wants whats best for you I always Just start by asking him to forgive my sins in the name of Jesus Christthen just pour out you heart talk to him like your friend he wants comfort you when your sad he wants to share your joy when your happy. You can talk to him in your car, in your bed, at work he is always there listening waiting for you to acknowledge him.He wants you to treat him like you love him like he is your best friend ,your father. Trust in him he will never leave you nor forsake you he is your Rock lean on him.

bytheway

Jan 1, 2008
Just a thought. Mat.6:7 states and when you pray, do not use VAIN (empty, w/o understanding) repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heared for their many words. Bless ya, btw-

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I might add if you use a rosary prayer or other repetive prayer there is nothing wrong with it it just is not Gods prefered prayers, as he wants to know what in your heart. So if one is doing a pepetive prayer its not the words God is listening to its the emotion the sincerity in your heart he cares about.He would rather you just talk to him but thats your choice. But empy repetive prayers are worthless to God

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(kriss;29312)
I might add if you a rosary prayer there is nothing wrong with it it is not Gods prefered prayers as he wants to know what in your heart. So if one is doing a pepetive prayer its not the words God is listening to its the emotion the sincerity in your heart he cares about.He would rather you just talk to him but thats your choice. But empy repetive prayers are worthless to God
I find something wrong with rosary...Matthew 5:5 - And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.Matthew 6:6 - But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.Matthew 6:7 - But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking...............God wants us to pray to Him with our hearts sincereity. Not use an earthly thing along with our prayers...It's just wrong... I just pray for the Lord to heal my family and friends so that they may come to God...JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, our Lord and Saviour of the world.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
There are two prayers I think would be important for us all to know, and therefore your kids. 1. The lords prayer. This is the prayer which God told us to pray so therefore I'm going to say its a pretty important prayer to know.2. and the apostles creed which states what we believe, its helpful when challenged in our faith.I think the best prayer is as Kriss has already said, is the kind which you make yourself. where you tell God your troubles, your fears, your joys, what your thankful for. ect. ect. a prayer which is completely your own.its hard to pray a meaingless prayer when praying a prayer like that. your brother in christRyan Fitz

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Letsgofishing;29315)
There are two prayers I think would be important for us all to know, and therefore your kids. 1. The lords prayer. This is the prayer which God told us to pray so therefore I'm going to say its a pretty important prayer to know.2. and the apostles creed which states what we believe, its helpful when challenged in our faith.I think the best prayer is as Kriss has already said, is the kind which you make yourself. where you tell God your troubles, your fears, your joys, what your thankful for. ect. ect. a prayer which is completely your own.its hard to pray a meaingless prayer when praying a prayer like that. your brother in christRyan Fitz
And be careful what you say and/or belief. What you believe may not be of God. (ie Mary is sinless, RCC as God's infallible church etc)JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
Squeak, I know exactly where your coming from. I prayed the same prayer every night for most of my life, and not till a few months ago did I really start to fill my prayers with personaly thoughts and questions to God. Prayer became like a conversation with God, now mind you it is kind of a one-sided conversation but I get his answers later. And it is always a great feeling to see your prayers getting answered, even if its not in the way you expected. As for your children, I have 2 baby brothers. One of my brothers is 2 and the other is 5. As for the 2 year old, whenever we pray he just sits there and smiles. But my other brother, the 5 year old, he actually prayes for different things every night. My family does their prayers right before the meal, they don't just say thanks for the food, they do all their praying (I hate it when my food gets cold haha), and I think the tradition of praying at the dinner table started b/c that is usually one of the only places where the whole family is together. And God said where 2 or more are gathered I am there also. I am the only member of my family that just gives thanks for the food and i do my own prayers later in my room before I go to bed because I pray for much longer than anyone else in my family. I got off topic there, back to my 5 year old brother. his prayers are different every night. And really I don't think he completely understands what he is doing but its a good habit to start young, he prayers for whatever he is feeling and thinking about. They are usually kind of funny but he is sincere. Its not uncommon for him to pray for safety for a cartoon character that he just finished watching or that he will get a new toy. But he does change it up and always prays about whats on his mind. So your children can do this too, it won't be like a prayer that an adult would do but its a good way to start. Teaching them to pray about what is bothering each day and to pray from the heart.Anyway, I hope I was able to help. God Bless! ~follower

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(thesuperjag;29319)
And be careful what you say and/or belief. What you believe may not be of God. (ie Mary is sinless, RCC as God's infallible church etc)JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.
the apostles creed applies to all christians, it has no catholic only believes.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
I agree with Kriss, there is nothing at ALL wrong with repetitive prayers.. the bible warns against VAIN repetition - not repetition by itself. I tell my husband and my children, "I love you" several times everyday and it's certainly not "vain repetition" because I feel it every single time I say it.I think we need to be very careful not to judge someone based on the prayers he says.. it's between him and God and we don't know his heart.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(followerofchrist;29348)
Squeak, I know exactly where your coming from. I prayed the same prayer every night for most of my life, and not till a few months ago did I really start to fill my prayers with personaly thoughts and questions to God. Prayer became like a conversation with God, now mind you it is kind of a one-sided conversation but I get his answers later. And it is always a great feeling to see your prayers getting answered, even if its not in the way you expected. As for your children, I have 2 baby brothers. One of my brothers is 2 and the other is 5. As for the 2 year old, whenever we pray he just sits there and smiles. But my other brother, the 5 year old, he actually prayes for different things every night. My family does their prayers right before the meal, they don't just say thanks for the food, they do all their praying (I hate it when my food gets cold haha), and I think the tradition of praying at the dinner table started b/c that is usually one of the only places where the whole family is together. And God said where 2 or more are gathered I am there also. I am the only member of my family that just gives thanks for the food and i do my own prayers later in my room before I go to bed because I pray for much longer than anyone else in my family. I got off topic there, back to my 5 year old brother. his prayers are different every night. And really I don't think he completely understands what he is doing but its a good habit to start young, he prayers for whatever he is feeling and thinking about. They are usually kind of funny but he is sincere. Its not uncommon for him to pray for safety for a cartoon character that he just finished watching or that he will get a new toy. But he does change it up and always prays about whats on his mind. So your children can do this too, it won't be like a prayer that an adult would do but its a good way to start. Teaching them to pray about what is bothering each day and to pray from the heart.Anyway, I hope I was able to help. God Bless! ~follower
this is why Jesus says we should all be like a child. Because children are loyal to God, even if they don't know much about him. They are not afraid to get close to God, I remember an incident where at the start of the mass one of my friends 5 yo brother just got out of the pew and starting following the priest to the alter and then when the priest Got to the alter the kid kneeled down and said"hi Jesus" and they approach him with the simplest things. things we would never share with God, like in this instance concern for a TV character. who would ever tell God that but a child. and Jesus probably loves it.thats how we should all pray. Like a childyour brother in christRyan Fitz

Squeak

Nov 13, 2007
Thank you everyone for your comments. I now have a better understanding of prayer.It seems there is no particular time that you "have" to pray nor any specific prayer. I like that I can teach the kids to just "talk to God" as if they were talking to a friend. I think they would be more comfortable with that, and I would be much more comfortable teaching them that than doing the same prayer over and over every day. So basically, as long as your heart is in what you are saying, you can say whatever you want to. That sounds like the best type of prayer to me!

SpiritSoldier

Dec 24, 2007
Hey squeak I like your question. Matthew 6:7"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.We should pray from the heart and as we are led in the spirit. I hear a lot of famous people praying almost identical are they praying the right way from the heart? Remember when you pray God hears us when we pray in his will. One thing I did learn about jews is they pray out of a book over and over (ruining the meaning). Even my personal family prayers were alot at dinner time and were the same thing over and over this is how people get turned off by our prayers why wouldn't we turn God off by our mindless words?This is study done by http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/prayer.html#n11 It proves prayer works!!