Advice on how all you prayer warriors pray...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
how do you pray for so many people and remember every one of them? Someone told me that I should only pray for others in private and I can see how that's biblical but I have felt in my spirit that it doesn't matter if you pray in public if your intentions are right and I only like to pray in public because I myself feel comforted and not so alone when others reply in my prayer request. I did not feel that the Holy Spirit was against it like with other things. I do feel nice when others like my prayers but that's the by-product, not the motive and one of my fleshly feeling and who wouldn't feel nice? Thank you for replying with good advice.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I only like to pray in public because I myself feel comforted and not so alone when others reply in my prayer request.
If the motivation is to encourage the one prayed for (and not to try to impress others with how good and pious we are), I think Jesus would consider this a valid exception to his admonition against praying for show. So, I think you're doing the right things here.

(Postscript: This morning, this site notified me that someone had "liked" a prayer that I posted four months ago. I felt guilty about liking that my prayer was "liked" and questioned my own motivations for posting it. I confessed my mixed motivations, and I got the distinct impression that God was laughing and telling me stop being so neurotic. And He was right (as usual); that IS neurotic. At least I gave God a chuckle.)

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how do you pray for so many people and remember every one of them? Someone told me that I should only pray for others in private and I can see how that's biblical but I have felt in my spirit that it doesn't matter if you pray in public if your intentions are right and I only like to pray in public because I myself feel comforted and not so alone when others reply in my prayer request. I did not feel that the Holy Spirit was against it like with other things. I do feel nice when others like my prayers but that's the by-product, not the motive and one of my fleshly feeling and who wouldn't feel nice? Thank you for replying with good advice.
Paul teaches us to pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17). That tells me we should constantly be walking with God, talking with him, which includes listening to what he is saying to us. This would be a private, not a public thing. I don't believe we need to be constantly praying for others - I have my own problems I like to discuss with the Lord.

But sometimes we want our prayers to be heard by others, don't we? It's not about showing off - we never want that to happen. But sometimes others benefit if they hear our prayers, I think.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I think the point of public prayer, which I believe is allowed in the bible, is to see God's glory thru answered prayers. He may glorify himself from prayer. And if someone is healed or have other help from God then we can see he loves us and cares and also his glory and power and great intelligence.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
have felt in my spirit that it doesn't matter if you pray in public if your intentions are right and I only like to pray in public because I myself feel comforted and not so alone
What do you mean by praying in public?
Do you mean only in a church prayer meeting or praying as you walk to work or only with friends.

Rather than rely on unreliable feelings research what the Bible says about prayer.
Daniel prayed regularly in a room in his house, Jesus would seek private places for prayer, Peter was praying on the roof.

We read of the disciples gathering for prayer on many occasions.

You need to work out something that works for you.
One thing I would suggest is to use prayer letters and keep a prayer diary.

Reactions: Lambano

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
how do you pray for so many people and remember every one of them?
? How do you do it for each person. Do you just pray once and then go on to the next person for every (many) persons? The way I have done it so far was to pray once for each person I come across and the people I remember more I will pray more times. How about you? Thank you!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What do you mean by praying in public?
Do you mean only in a church prayer meeting or praying as you walk to work or only with friends.

Rather than rely on unreliable feelings research what the Bible says about prayer.
Daniel prayed regularly in a room in his house, Jesus would seek private places for prayer, Peter was praying on the roof.

We read of the disciples gathering for prayer on many occasions.

You need to work out something that works for you.
One thing I would suggest is to use prayer letters and keep a prayer diary.
Sorry I took so long to reply to this. I actually was only talking about praying on the forum as it's easier to write out your thoughts, or comforting others that you're praying for them.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would ask, how is it we feel we need to advise God about what he already knows?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The most effective prayers for self and others are where we ask God what to pray for. He can put the thoughts in our minds when we pray, like ideas that come to mind. He will most assuredly do his will if asked. So it is much more effective to get answered prayers when we ask him what he wants us to pray for.

Reactions: Cassandra

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Because God wants us to talk to Him. :) Even if He already knows what we need before we ask.

Ask.

Seek.

Knock.

See the parable of the Persistent Widow in Luke 18:1-8.
is there a difference between asking, seeking, knocking and advising? I'm sure there is......so why do we feel the need to advise God?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Write the names down, and that will help @thelord's_pearl. Sometimes I just simply ask my Father to be with everyone that is known in my heart that I have ever seen. I try to keep prayers private, short and simple, with others if they desire it. I don't want any "great prayer" or anything like that... just wanna be authentic and move forward.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
is there a difference between asking, seeking, knocking and advising? I'm sure there is......so why do we feel the need to advise God?
It's more a matter of feeling free to tell our Father what we hope He'll do. And He's just as free to say "No". The communication is the point. It's a relationship thing.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You've got "prayer" right, just keep doing that.

If someone says "praying in secret is good too", try that and if that works: keep doing that.