A Revelation Phrase

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Stefan

Mar 23, 2022
Peterborough
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What does the Phrase below in Revelation mean?

" And death and Hades where cast into the lake of fire"

Does the above quoted phrase mean that the god Hades was cast into the lake of fire? Or does it have some other meaning? I await some replies.

kind regards John Stefan

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Does the above quoted phrase mean that the god Hades was cast into the lake of fire? Or does it have some other meaning? I await some replies.

kind regards John Stefan
I see no reason why a Christian writer would bring up that particular Greek god at that time, in that context. Instead, I take ᾍδης" to mean the term the LXX writers used to translate the Hebrew word שְׁאוֹל ("Sheol"), the grave in the Old Testament. This is how the term is used elsewhere in the NT. I see this verse to mean that the place where the Rich Man was tormented post-mortem in the Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man will, in the end, be destroyed. And there will be no more death and no more punishment in the New Heaven and New Earth. The death of Death, and Hell's destruction.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Death of death, and hell's destruction,
Land me safe on Canaan's side.
Songs of praises, I will ever give to Thee;
Songs of praises, I will ever give to Thee.

(William Williams, Guide Me Thou, O Great Jehovah)

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

kind regards John Stefan

Another great question John, when the Kingdom comes, death will be no more Rev 21:4, so with no one dying and everyone released from hell in the resurrection, there is no longer a need for it. So they are cast into the lake to no longer exist.

Reactions: John Stefan