A Study of the book of James:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We obey Jesus' commandments because we love Him...not in order to save ourselves.

And Jesus is the God of the Old Testament as well as the New.

Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Co 1:11, For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
1Co 1:12, Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
1Co 1:13, Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

1Co 3:1, And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
1Co 3:2, I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
1Co 3:3, For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
1Co 3:4, For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I will say also, that if James is not profitable for doctrine because it is not written specifically to Gentiles, then Philippians isn't profitable for doctrine because it is only written to the saints at Philippi with the bishops and deacons (Phl 1:1).
James is an excellent book to enable Christians to walk the walk. Here are the lessons from just the first chapter:

1. Your faith will be tested in order to be perfected.
2. If you ask God for wisdom He will give it to you freely.
3. God exalts the lowly and humbles the proud.
4. When you endure temptations you will be blessed.
5. You are personally responsible for your sins and where they originate.
6. Every good and perfect gift comes from God our Father.
7. The New Birth is a result of hearing the Gospel (the Word of Truth).
8. We must be eager to listen, and slow to speak, and slow to anger.
9. We must forsake sins and focus on the Word of God.
10. We must be doers of the Word, and not hearers only.
11. If we cannot control our tongues, we need not claim to be spiritual.
12. Pure religion consists of compassion for the destitute and separation from sin and evil.

Reactions: justbyfaith

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7. The New Birth is a result of hearing the Gospel (the Word of Truth).

If it were a result of hearing the gospel then everyone who has been presented the gospel would be converted. That is not so. Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Faith comes by Hearing God, and hearing God by the word of God. Matthew 13:9
[9] Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it were a result of hearing the gospel then everyone who has been presented the gospel would be converted. That is not so. Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Faith comes by Hearing God, and hearing God by the word of God. Matthew 13:9
[9] Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Heb 4:2, For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You seem to be a little confused (or more than a little). Not everyone will obey the Gospel, and that was already stated in the previous verse:

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Therefore not everyone will be converted. But it is the Gospel (also called the Word of God) which is the power of God unto salvation to every one wh believes (Rom 1:16) Thus Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God (the Gospel).

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to be a little confused (or more than a little). Not everyone will obey the Gospel, and that was already stated in the previous verse:

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Therefore not everyone will be converted. But it is the Gospel (also called the Word of God) which is the power of God unto salvation to every one wh believes (Rom 1:16) Thus Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God (the Gospel).

Not being critical. Just what I’ve experienced. Heard the gospel since I was young...had no Faith until God spoke and I heard. My grandchildren hear the gospel nearly everyday...but it won’t be until they hear God. We can preach it all day long every day to everyone we come in contact with...still He gives the increase and it is not until God opens ears to hear what the Spirit saith. Seen people who have been in His word for more than thirty years...claiming they know Him yet despising and hating everyone and using the word as a weapon to kill with or obtain amiss ...warring. They have no Faith until they hear God speak. He opens the ears of the deaf. How many times does He say “hear what the Spirit saith”? Not mixed with Faith there is no profit...is not mixed with the Spirit in knowing the voice of the prophets and Christ. He even told them they didn’t hear His voice and the word had no place in them...or they wouldn’t have been trying to kill Him. Saul knew the word and had read it. Acts 22:7-8 And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? [8] And I answered, Who art thou, Lord? And he said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heb 4:2, For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Still on topic of the OP and thread. James is distorted to force that what James is saying is Faith comes by the works of men. That is not what James says but instead Faith without the work of the Spirit (a circumcised ear)is dead. Faith without hearing God is dead. Same “does not profit” ...Faith without the Spirit of God is dead and empty, vain faith. Just as James says(inspired by the Spirit). James 2:20 “But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” Flesh without Spirit...which James asserts prior. “ O Vain man...” Empty. As empty and in vain as the earth without God. Without profit. dead works. But God did not create the earth in vain to be empty but with Spirit to be inhabited. The work of God is that they believe. Never says it is a work of the individual or of men...but it is a work of God. Not man’s will but God’s Will. What you quoted “but the word preached did not profit them, not mixed with faith in them that heard it.”
They heard Christ preached ...but flesh profits nothing but has to mixed with Spirit or that faith is dead. It was not mixed with “Spirit” to the subverting of the hearers as 2 Timothy 2:14 says “strive not about words to no profit.”
“Strive not about with words to no profit and empty of Spirit.”
Romans 10:16-18 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? [17] So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. [18] But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Have they not heard? Who then has believed our report? “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” Faith spoken of there is not vain faith of flesh mixed with hearing ...but the Spirit of God mixed with hearing What the Spirit says. It is the Spirit of God which profits ...it is the Spirit of God which opens the ears of the deaf. It is the Spirit of God which opens the eyes of the blind. It is the Spirit of God which raises the dead ...as in “those alive from the dead.”

We need to consider “Faith comes by hearing the gospel, and hearing the gospel by the word of God.” How it attributes unto man right off what IS of God making the faith spoken of vain... empty...dead faith without Spirit. The revelation of Jesus Christ is Spirit and is revealed (given)only by God. This Faith mixed with them which hear what the Spirit saith...hearing God who opens ears...is not vain nor empty but Faith which is ALIVE! The focus has to be taken off man ...and put on God. Even choosing to follow is debated. The greatest enemy and warfare going on being “it is man’s works” keeping ears shut and faith vain. Man does everything, the battle goes.
Nebuchadnezzar did the same in saying “it is me. I do it.” Until He was shown Daniel 4:32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

Period. It may leave a bad taste in man’s mouth. But faith comes by not hearing men speak but by hearing God speak, and hearing God speak comes by the word of God which is Christ revealed to whomever God Wills to hear.

Last edited:
Reactions: justbyfaith