A True Letter of Our Savior Jesus Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’ve heard of this document but hadn’t gotten around to reading it until this evening. Catholic members of the board may be familiar with it but I doubt that very many non-Catholics are. For those who are, or might be, interested in reading and discussing it:

”A TRUE LETTER OF OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST

Consecrating the Drops of Blood which Our Lord lost on His way to Calvary.

Copy of a letter of the Oration found in the Holy Sepulchre of Our Lord Jesus Christ in Jerusalem, preserved in a silver box by His Holiness and by the Emperors and Empresses of the Christian Faith.

St. Elizabeth, Queen of Hungary, with St. Matilda and St. Bridget, wishing to know something of the Passion of Jesus Christ, offered fervent and special prayers, upon which there appeared to them Our Lord Jesus Christ Who spoke to them in the following manner:

I descended from Heaven to the Earth in order to convert you. In olden times people were religious and their harvests were abundant; at present, on the contrary, they are scanty.

If you want to reap an abundant harvest you must not work on Sunday, for on Sunday you must go to Church, and pray to God to forgive your sins. He gave you six days in which to work and one for rest and devotion and to tender your help to the poor and assist the Church.

Those people who brawl against My religion and cast slurs on this Sacred Letter, shall be forsaken by Me.

On the contrary, those people who shall carry a copy of this letter with them shall be free kf death by drowning and from sudden death. They shall be free from all contagious diseases and lightening; they shall not die without Confession, and shall be free from their enemies and from the hand of wrongful authority, and from all their slanderers and false witnesses.

Women in peril at child-birth will, by keeping this Oration about them, immediately overcome the difficulty. In the houses where this Oration is kept, no evil will ever happen: and forty days before the death of a person who has this Oration about him or her, the Blessed Virgin will appear to him or her. So said St. Gregorius.

TO ALL THOSE FAITHFUL WHO SHALL RECITE FOR 3 YEARS, EACH DAY, 2 PATERS, GLORIAS AND AVES, IN HONOR OF THE DROPS OF BLOOD I LOST, I WILL CONCEDE THE FOLLOWING 5 GRACES:

1. The plenary indulgence and remittance of your sins,
2. You will be free from the pains of Purgatory.
3. If you should die before completing the said 3 years, for you it will be the same as if you had completed them.
4. It will be upon your death the same as if you had shed all your blood for the Holy Faith.
5. I will descend from Heaven to take your soul and that of your relatives, until the fourth generation.

Be it known that the number of armed soldiers were 150; those who trailed me while I was bound were 23. The executioners of justice were 83; the blows received on my head were 150; those on my stomach, 108; kicks on my shoulders, 80. I was led, bound with cords by the hair, 24 times; spits in the face were 180; I was roughly pushed, and at 12 o’ clock I was lifted up by the hair; pricked with thorns and pulled by the beard 23 times; received 20 wounds on the head; thorns of marine junks 72; pricks of thorns in the head, 110; mortal thorns in the forehead, 3. I was afterwards flogged and dressed as a mocked king; wounds in the body, 1000. The soldiers who led Me to the Calvary were 608; those who watched Me were 3, and those who mocked Me were 1008; the drops of blood which I lost were 28,430.

BENEDETTA DA SS., POPE LEO XIII, IN ROMA 5 APRILE 1890

The following list of miracles and promises or warnings attached are published here, but with the caution that we do not know if the approval of Pope Leo XIII was for this portion as well. …”

Genuine words of Jesus or not? Seriousness / consequences for believing or not believing that the letter is genuine?

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve heard of this document but hadn’t gotten around to reading it until this evening. Catholic members of the board may be familiar with it but I doubt that very many non-Catholics are. For those who are, or might be, interested in reading and discussing it:

”A TRUE LETTER OF OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST

Consecrating the Drops of Blood which Our Lord lost on His way to Calvary.

Copy of a letter of the Oration found in the Holy Sepulchre of Our Lord Jesus Christ in Jerusalem, preserved in a silver box by His Holiness and by the Emperors and Empresses of the Christian Faith.

St. Elizabeth, Queen of Hungary, with St. Matilda and St. Bridget, wishing to know something of the Passion of Jesus Christ, offered fervent and special prayers, upon which there appeared to them Our Lord Jesus Christ Who spoke to them in the following manner:

I descended from Heaven to the Earth in order to convert you. In olden times people were religious and their harvests were abundant; at present, on the contrary, they are scanty.

If you want to reap an abundant harvest you must not work on Sunday, for on Sunday you must go to Church, and pray to God to forgive your sins. He gave you six days in which to work and one for rest and devotion and to tender your help to the poor and assist the Church.

Those people who brawl against My religion and cast slurs on this Sacred Letter, shall be forsaken by Me.

On the contrary, those people who shall carry a copy of this letter with them shall be free kf death by drowning and from sudden death. They shall be free from all contagious diseases and lightening; they shall not die without Confession, and shall be free from their enemies and from the hand of wrongful authority, and from all their slanderers and false witnesses.

Women in peril at child-birth will, by keeping this Oration about them, immediately overcome the difficulty. In the houses where this Oration is kept, no evil will ever happen: and forty days before the death of a person who has this Oration about him or her, the Blessed Virgin will appear to him or her. So said St. Gregorius.

TO ALL THOSE FAITHFUL WHO SHALL RECITE FOR 3 YEARS, EACH DAY, 2 PATERS, GLORIAS AND AVES, IN HONOR OF THE DROPS OF BLOOD I LOST, I WILL CONCEDE THE FOLLOWING 5 GRACES:

1. The plenary indulgence and remittance of your sins,
2. You will be free from the pains of Purgatory.
3. If you should die before completing the said 3 years, for you it will be the same as if you had completed them.
4. It will be upon your death the same as if you had shed all your blood for the Holy Faith.
5. I will descend from Heaven to take your soul and that of your relatives, until the fourth generation.

Be it known that the number of armed soldiers were 150; those who trailed me while I was bound were 23. The executioners of justice were 83; the blows received on my head were 150; those on my stomach, 108; kicks on my shoulders, 80. I was led, bound with cords by the hair, 24 times; spits in the face were 180; I was roughly pushed, and at 12 o’ clock I was lifted up by the hair; pricked with thorns and pulled by the beard 23 times; received 20 wounds on the head; thorns of marine junks 72; pricks of thorns in the head, 110; mortal thorns in the forehead, 3. I was afterwards flogged and dressed as a mocked king; wounds in the body, 1000. The soldiers who led Me to the Calvary were 608; those who watched Me were 3, and those who mocked Me were 1008; the drops of blood which I lost were 28,430.

BENEDETTA DA SS., POPE LEO XIII, IN ROMA 5 APRILE 1890

The following list of miracles and promises or warnings attached are published here, but with the caution that we do not know if the approval of Pope Leo XIII was for this portion as well. …”

Genuine words of Jesus or not? Seriousness / consequences for believing or not believing that the letter is genuine?
I hope no one believes it is a genuine document. Why someone would generate such a document is beyond me. Maybe a die-hard Roman Catholic might give it a second-look, and a few of them will spread it like a piece of divine treasure found. Nothing ever changes with these deeply religious sheep. Religious tribalists who still perpetuate paganism, like the seasonal event that is soon upon us.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I hope no one believes it is a genuine document.

Perhaps one of the Catholic members of the board will enlighten us. I really don’t know if Catholics accept it as genuine or not.

Here I was, minding my own business this evening - certainly with no thought of the document in mind - when I came across a tweet, written by a Catholic author, in my timeline on X concerning it.

Though I’ve long known about it, I’ve never asked anyone - Catholic or non-Catholic - about it.

Why someone would generate such a document is beyond me. Maybe a die-hard Roman Catholic might give it a second-look, and a few of them will spread it like a piece of divine treasure found. Nothing ever changes with these deeply religious sheep. Religious tribalists who still perpetuate paganism, like the seasonal event that is soon upon us.

Three thoughts passed quickly through my mind when I read it:

1. What if the purported words of Jesus are genuine? Jesus said them and I don’t believe him - consequences?

2. What if the purported words of Jesus aren’t genuine? Someone put words in his mouth that he didn’t speak, words that aren’t his - consequences for the perpetrator, and for me (and others) who fall for the deception?

3. How would a person decide if the purported words of Jesus are or aren’t words which were spoken by him?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Just to be clear, I’m not picking on Catholics in this thread. It’s not uncommon to encounter non-Catholics who say that God or Jesus or the Holy Spirit has audibly spoken to them. It isn’t difficult to tune in a television preacher or prophet who informs the viewing audience that they have received a special divine message, either for themselves or for others.

The catalyst for the thread is the document linked in the OP but the subject is, more generally, testing the spirits (1 John 4:1).

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply because its riddled With Roman Catholic pagan FOOLISHNESS, it's obviously nothing but Catholic heresies, and has nothing to do with ANYTHING the Jesus would eve have said.

Suggestion: instead of reading Catholic religious FOOLISHNESS, READ THE BIBLE - several times so that you'll KNOW WHAT IT SAYS!!!!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Simply because its riddled With Roman Catholic pagan FOOLISHNESS, it's obviously nothing but Catholic heresies, and has nothing to do with ANYTHING the Jesus would eve have said.

Suggestion: instead of reading Catholic religious FOOLISHNESS, READ THE BIBLE - several times so that you'll KNOW WHAT IT SAYS!!!!

Thanks.

Read widely, deeply, thoughtfully and critically.

Above all, read the Bible.

My personal practice. My advice to students in the classroom; my advice to all readers.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Wow, I didn't know this has been around for over 100 years. I wonder if you took a poll who knew of this Prayer Book ever existing.

I imagine that few non-Catholics know about the prayer book. I didn’t until this afternoon. I was doing some research on the document and came across some Catholics talking about it online. I looked for the prayer book and, as the link I provided demonstrates, the information I received was accurate.

I’m not sure what percentage of Catholics know about it. I don’t recall any of my wife’s relatives talking about it.

I may have, but don’t recall, read about the prayer book before today. It strikes me as something that I didn’t have previous knowledge about.

[Probably just a coincidence but I was looking at a selection of Catholic books in a St. Vincent DePaul store yesterday. I didn’t purchase any of them, and don’t think I saw it there, but I’m slowly increasing the number of Catholic books in my personal library. I may purchase a copy of the prayer book to use as a talking point with Catholic relatives, acquaintances and friends.]

IF Catholics believe the purported words of Jesus are genuine, I would think the percentage who know about the letter and prayer book would be high.

IF Catholics don’t believe the purported words of Jesus are genuine, I would anticipate the percentage who know about the letter and prayer book to be low.

I’ve seen several Catholics mention online that the letter is a good devotional.

I’ve also seen several Catholics mention online that they keep a copy of the letter on their person as well as in their homes.

I live near a Catholic convent. I don’t visit there often (the campus is beautiful and great for hiking) but I might stop in some time and ask about it.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Working on the question about how well-known the letter / prayer book is among Catholics, this video discussing the letter (which I watched this morning) was produced by a Catholic college student.

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I imagine that few non-Catholics know about the prayer book. I didn’t until this afternoon. I was doing some research on the document and came across some Catholics talking about it online. I looked for the prayer book and, as the link I provided demonstrates, the information I received was accurate.

I’m not sure what percentage of Catholics know about it. I don’t recall any of my wife’s relatives talking about it.

I may have, but don’t recall, read about the prayer book before today. It strikes me as something that I didn’t have previous knowledge about.

[Probably just a coincidence but I was looking at a selection of Catholic books in a St. Vincent DePaul store yesterday. I didn’t purchase any of them, and don’t think I saw it there, but I’m slowly increasing the number of Catholic books in my personal library. I may purchase a copy of the prayer book to use as a talking point with Catholic relatives, acquaintances and friends.]

IF Catholics believe the purported words of Jesus are genuine, I would think the percentage who know about the letter and prayer book would be high.

IF Catholics don’t believe the purported words of Jesus are genuine, I would anticipate the percentage who know about the letter and prayer book to be low.

I’ve seen several Catholics mention online that the letter is a good devotional.

I’ve also seen several Catholics mention online that they keep a copy of the letter on their person as well as in their homes.

I live near a Catholic convent. I don’t visit there often (the campus is beautiful and great for hiking) but I might stop in some time and ask about it.
Yeah, ask about it with a friendly face and not with a stern probing look..haha

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Concerning the veracity of the devotion, this response to a question about it comes from AskACatholic.com :

”Honestly, I’m not familiar with the devotion titled:

’A True Letter of Our Savior Jesus Christ.’

I thought we had addressed this in our database but I couldn’t find any mention of it.

That said, I’m a little suspicious about it …

Personally, I wouldn’t waste much time with this but rather focus on the meat and potatoes of Catholic devotions …”

Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this video the letter is used as part of a novena.

What folks will believe and share in for the sake of some type of security and unity. If I heard of such a thing when I was still in Roman Catholic primary school I would have fled from it even before I was 16 years old. I have to says it's so outlandish and ridiculous to even be nice about it all. Don't they know that this religion is quickly dying off, as well as, on a slower death march, Protestantism in general.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Yeah, ask about it with a friendly face and not with a stern probing look..haha

A couple of the nuns who taught my wife in high school live there. She doesn’t want to talk to them and advised me years ago not to engage them in conversation. When I asked why all she said was, “They’ll skin the hide off of you!”

I haven’t talked with any of her teachers but I have spoken with a few nuns over the years, including some who were her relatives. They were a little bit intimidating but I can get through it. Probably.

• Love
Reactions: APAK

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I live in an area that is about 80% Catholic. I had a routine dental appointment this morning and came close to asking my hygienist (whom I know to be Catholic) if she knew about the letter. I glanced at the tray of “weapons” sitting beside her chair and decided it might not be a good time to ask. I let her get on about her / my business and the moment passed. (It’s not polite to speak with someone’s fingers in your mouth. No cavities, so there’s that.)

• Haha
Reactions: Cassandra and APAK

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Do the purported words of Jesus in the letter sound like the words of Jesus preserved in scripture?

To a Catholic, they might. To a non-Catholic, they probably don’t. (They don’t to me.)

Do the words sound like the Catholic Church?

To a Catholic, they probably do. To a non-Catholic, they probably do. (They do to me.)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Test the spirits (1 John 4:1).

When I test the spirit of the letter, I see and hear the spirit of Catholicism rather than the spirit of Jesus.

When a Catholic tests the spirit of the letter, he or she might see and hear the spirit of Catholicism and the spirit of Jesus.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Test the spirits (1 John 4:1).

When I test the spirit of the letter, I see and hear the spirit of Catholicism rather than the spirit of Jesus.

When a Catholic tests the spirit of the letter, he or she might see and hear the spirit of Catholicism and the spirit of Jesus.
It seems to never end, does it...?