About sin, the commandments and humility before God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All (or almost all) sins are premeditated. We have no excuse.
Sound those praises out unto the glorious Lord . Flee all appearance of evil . And having all affections above on the LORD
I was just wondering why that reminder i gave us was not really embraced . IF i said error i would love
for folks to point out that error . Lambs do look out for lambs .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would appear that the root of all sin is selfishness. From the sheep and goats to the ten commandments. Not helping those that are less fortunate. Or hurting others thru adultry and theft. Even lies hurt others like bearing false witness to get someone thrown in jail, or lying about God and not giving him full credit with witchcraft and sorcery. These sins can all be traced back to selfishness.

And perhaps the solution is charity and love from God. Being honest with self and others and what harm could come if we commit one of these sins. I think God doesn't want us to be selfish and wants to teach us about Love. And I think that's part of the point of the scriptures. He wants us to be more like Him.
Sound those praises out unto the glorious Lord . Flee all appearance of evil . And having all affections above on the LORD

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing this thread endeavor has taught me is how some churches teach false doctrine. So I won't be tricked into believing a false church again. And it is liberating.

I was Mormon for 10 years. I have grown beyond that now and realize my need for a savior and that works are good. And my church must confess they are sinners too.

I think I'm leaning towards protestant.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, then this is the point of the thread. What's more serious of a sin than one that would get people cast into the lake of fire and hell? Like spelled out in the sheep and goats? Matthew 25-31-46 and Revelation 21:8. Those are apparently serious enough for God to cast them into hell for it.

I can't think of anything more serious Dev. Why on earth would one choose death over life, doesn't make any sense to me for sure. What do you see that Jehovah requires that is so God awful that you would rather die than to live under His regime? I have asked this question many times. Jesus said his load is light and I agree, why would anyone want it differently?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't think of anything more serious Dev. Why on earth would one choose death over life, doesn't make any sense to me for sure. What do you see that Jehovah requires that is so God awful that you would rather die than to live under His regime? I have asked this question many times. Jesus said his load is light and I agree, why would anyone want it differently?

I think you may have missed my point. I was just supporting the sheep and goats as in weight as the ten commandments.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've seen a lot of posts recently about OSAS and the other side of obeying the commandments. And I just feel that people are not being taught the scriptures correctly. I have been studying the scriptures for some time now and have developed my own views about sin and what it is. Lets take a look at that.

1 John 5:17
17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

But what is sin that leads to death? Well we know of the 10 commandments and such that lead to death as spelled out in the old testament.

I came across the sheep and goats and saw that Jesus said those that don't adhere to those directives will be cast into hell. Matthew 25:31-46. So it would appear that these "sheep and goats" sins are death.

The book of revelation also spells out sins which lead to the lake of fire and death. Revelation 21:8.

Because of these scriptures I have come to the conclusion that I am not perfect and in need of repentance daily. And I noticed that the Catholics promote this type of repentance. But what other churches do?

And I see that some churches teach that if you obey the commandments (10 of them or so) you will go to heaven. And they leave out all of the commandments of Jesus, like the sheep and goats.

So what I learned from this is that we truly are at the mercy of the Almighty Righteous God's judgment. And I think I need to reflect that in my prayers to God. That I am a sinner and desire mercy.

So I think we should be teaching a merciful and loving God. And we should be encouraging people towards "all" of these teachings of Jesus, not just some of them.
What you are suggesting my friend is that we do the impossible my friend. That. I believe, is right... but for us alone it is an impossible thing. We need at all times, God's help. Without Him we can do nothing. On His side there is no limit for us. Can we always be on His side?
Ask for His help:

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?" Matt 7:7-9

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you are suggesting my friend is that we do the impossible my friend. That. I believe, is right... but for us alone it is an impossible thing. We need at all times, God's help. Without Him we can do nothing. On His side there is no limit for us. Can we always be on His side?
Ask for His help:

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?" Matt 7:7-9
Yes you got the point of the thread. And yes the Lord has helped me much when it comes to the sheep and goats and the 10 commandments. I still fail at times to obey the Lord I find. So I consider myself a sinner.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes you got the point of the thread. And yes the Lord has helped me much when it comes to the sheep and goats and the 10 commandments. I still fail at times to obey the Lord I find. So I consider myself a sinner.
God showed me a very long time ago to regularly return to the very bottom [the lowest room] so as not inflate myself foolishly because of what I have known... or better said, what I think that I have known.

"When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;
And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.
But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Luke 14:8-11

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A dear old lady once said this . And what a beauty it is .
Look around and be distressed
Look within and be depressed
LOOK to JESUS and be at REST . EXACTLY . Now let all that has breath praise the glorious and the wonderous LORD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A dear old lady once said this . And what a beauty it is .
Look around and be distressed
Look within and be depressed
LOOK to JESUS and be at REST . EXACTLY . Now let all that has breath praise the glorious and the wonderous LORD .
Sounds like she needed to see God inside her. Peace within from the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like she didn't have God inside her like she should have had.
She did . she meant if we look to our own carnal understanding it dont work .
LOOK within to our own wisdom is what she meant by being depressed .
Actually the lady did know Christ . Her name was CORRIE TEN BOOM . She did know the LORD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you may have missed my point. I was just supporting the sheep and goats as in weight as the ten commandments.

You said being cast into the lake of fire correct, that is final sir, and what could be more serious than that?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The following points to a "royal law" of the scriptures like that spelled out in the sheep and goats. Making the sheep and goats of Christ law.

James 2:8-10 If you fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, you shall love you neighbour as yourself, you do well: [9] But if you have respect to persons, you commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors. [10] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Last edited:

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, I think I know what you're asking. If I understand then sins of ommission are not following the two greatest commandments: To love God and your neighbor. (Matthew 22:36-40). And I think those laws are the basis for the sheep and goats of Jesus in Matthew 25:31-46.

I agree that we are to love God with all our heart and love our neighbor. I guess my thing is, do we as Christians automatically fail in that every way every day?

I don't think so. Love is not this emotion that if we are not feeling, weve failed. Love is a decision to do what edifies and is best for another. So when you typed your response, no I don't think you were somehow sinning at that moment.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. Not sure what your point is.

That is what is hard about this site, since our conversations are not just continuous you have to go back through them. It is fairly easy though, just hit the arrow by your post to go back to read the previous conversation, but it would be a lot easier to remember what we were talking about if it was continuous. That is the only thing I can recommend, is to go back through the conversations Dev. In post 39 you said this is the point of your thread: Well, then this is the point of the thread. What's more serious of a sin than one that would get people cast into the lake of fire and hell? Like spelled out in the sheep and goats? Matthew 25-31-46 and Revelation 21:8. Those are apparently serious enough for God to cast them into hell for it.

And our conversation went on from there sir. I fully agree nothing can be more serious than missing out on life eternal in God's Kingdom. Getting cast into the lake of fire is the alternative, and certainly that is the most serious thing that could ever happen to us.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is what is hard about this site, since our conversations are not just continuous you have to go back through them. It is fairly easy though, just hit the arrow by your post to go back to read the previous conversation, but it would be a lot easier to remember what we were talking about if it was continuous. That is the only thing I can recommend, is to go back through the conversations Dev. In post 39 you said this is the point of your thread: Well, then this is the point of the thread. What's more serious of a sin than one that would get people cast into the lake of fire and hell? Like spelled out in the sheep and goats? Matthew 25-31-46 and Revelation 21:8. Those are apparently serious enough for God to cast them into hell for it.

And our conversation went on from there sir. I fully agree nothing can be more serious than missing out on life eternal in God's Kingdom. Getting cast into the lake of fire is the alternative, and certainly that is the most serious thing that could ever happen to us.
Well the only thing in your statements past that I disagree with is that it is easy to follow all of Jesus teachings. Perhaps it's easier to obey the ten commandments than to obey the "Royal Law" James 2:8-10 of the sheep and goats to love your neighbor.

And I think it is because I am poor compared to normal people and have health problems. Sometimes I see people suffering and don't help because I either can't because of my health problems or choose not to because I have so little. But maybe like @Wynona said, it's not sin for me. But I still feel like it could be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wynona