Accepting His Help

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

durbano

Dec 12, 2007
There was an old man sitting on his porch watching the rain fall. Pretty soon the water was coming over the porch and into the house. The old man was still sitting there when a rescue boat came and the people on board said, "You can't stay here you have to come with us." The old man replied, "No, God will save me." So the boat left. A little while later the water was up to the second floor, and another rescue boat came, and again told the old man he had to come with them. The old man again replied, "God will save me." So the boat left him again. An hour later the water was up to the roof and a third rescue boat approached the old man, and tried to get him to come with them. Again the old man refused to leave stating that, "God will save him." So the boat left him again. Soon after, the man drowns and goes to heaven, and when he sees God he asks him, "Why didn't you save me?" God replied, "Why didn't you let me? I sent three boats after you!!"How often, when amidst the floodwaters, have we found ourselves denying God’s help insisting on something more majestic, something more spectacular? How often do we ignore the undemanding in search for the convoluted? More often then we might be willing to admit, I’m afraid. And that’s the situation in which Naaman found himself when he came to Elisha looking to be cleansed from leprosy (2nd Kings 5:9-14). When Naaman arrived at the prophet’s door, Elisha simply sent his messenger to Naaman and told him to dip himself in the Jordan seven times. Upon hearing this, Naaman insisted that there had to be more to his salvation then a simple dip in Israel’s river, and fumed, “I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy (2nd Kings 5:11)!” At which point Naaman turned and went off in a rage. Lucky for Naaman his servant was quick to correct him, saying “My father, if the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more, then, when he tells you, ‘Wash and be cleansed’ (5:13)!” Naaman, I’m sure, a bit humbled by the source of his rebuke, heeded his servant’s advice and found his healing in the Jordan as Elisha had said. As many often do, Naaman wanted a dramatic and extravagant healing, but God just wanted to heal him. He wanted to see the glory of God and feel the earth rumble upon his restoration, but God just wanted to show his love. Naaman wanted to see the power of Israel’s LORD, but God just wanted him to experience His power. Many times we pray, but how often do we truly accept His help? More to the point, how often do we simply over look it?Perhaps, even now as you read these words, the floodwaters of life and crisis have you engulfed, pummeling you without a foothold on solid ground. As you struggle to stay afloat and remain above the miry depths; as the waters surge and sweep over you without mercy; as you gasp and cry out to a mighty God for help, do not shun away from His calm still voice in hopes for the thunder and the earthquake, nor reject His hand in hopes for the chariots of fire. Instead, remember, sometimes God’s salvation can be as simple as a passing boat, and as easy as climbing in; sometimes God’s power has more to do with the experience, then with the display - sometimes, and very often, its right before our eyes and ready for the taking. Then, when we have cried out; when we have listened and watched in faith for His reply; when we have obediently taken His hand and accepted our refuge under His mighty wing, it will be said for us, “He has stilled the storm to a whisper, and the waves of the sea were hushed (Psalm 107:29).” And there we will find our feet a foothold; there in the shadow of a faithful and ever-loving God. [mp]Copyright © 2007Michael D'UrbanoAll rights reservedThe Modern Papyrus