Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t leave out John the Baptist who said to the Jews. I baptize you with water but he who comes after me will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and Fire. Let’s not forget Paul’s comment when he said Christ sent him not to baptize but to preach the gospel. Or that it is written that there is one baptism. Or even his conversation told by him in Act 22 where he was told to rise and be baptize and wash away your sins. How? The scripture went on to say “ calling on the name of the Lord.

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Don’t leave out John the Baptist who said to the Jews. I baptize you with water but he who comes after me will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and Fire. Let’s not forget Paul’s comment when he said Christ sent him not to baptize but to preach the gospel. Or that it is written that there is one baptism. Or even his conversation told by him in Act 22 where he was told to rise and be baptize and wash away your sins. How? The scripture went on to say “ calling on the name of the Lord.

Amen

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The issue of "refusing" the New Birth does not really arise in the matter of salvation. All those who repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, and it is the Holy Spirit who supernaturally regenerates the one who believes. Those who are born again submit themselves to water baptism by immersion (as practiced by the apostolic churches). In the Bible there was little or no separation between the two.

Acts chapter 2 is a critical chapter in Scripture since it describes the day of Pentecost and the results of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit and the harvest of souls. It also show how a true New Testament church was to function.

However too many have automatically assumed that water baptism is necessary to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Others have automatically assumed that those who received the Spirit all began to speak in tongues. But neither of these beliefs is correct. And to see that one needs to study the rest of Acts as well as the entire New Testsament. Baptismal regeneration is FALSE DOCTRINE.

All those who repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ receive_d_ the gift of the Holy Spirit, and it _was_ the Holy Spirit who supernaturally regenerate_d_ the one who believes.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are three baptisms mentioned in the scriptures. One is water, one is the Holy Spirit and the other is Fire. A person must come to understand that salvation is a gift that requires faith and not works. If works were to come into play than salvation would no longer be a gift.

Water is a human work. We perform it. What was the purpose of water baptism? It was to show Israel that once they repented they would be cleansed from their sin. John used water as an example to show this. John the Baptist was sent to prepare the people of Israel to receive our Savior. Israel had always required a sign in order to understand.

As it is written:

1Co 1:22

“For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:”

Even Barnabas wrote about water baptism as being a sign which would not bring remission of sins for Israel.

Barnabas 11:1

“But let us enquire whether the Lord took care to signify before hand concerning the water and the cross. Now concerning the water it is written in reference to Israel, how that they would not receive the baptism which bringeth remission of sins,”

This water baptism was designed to show Israel what would take place when they would receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Listen to what John tells the Israelites, when they questioned him about his baptism.

Matthew 3:11

“I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.”

John was telling Israel that they would have to receive the baptism that would come through our Saviour.

So, water was a sign to Israel representing a sign of the one to come.

John baptized Christ with the water. Why? What was the purpose? People argue that because our Saviour was baptized with water, we are obligated to do the same. But obligated by who? This opinion is based on human reasoning. If water baptism is required we make it part of righteousness. This would make a fleshly work part of our salvation. And if this is true we would have to confess that Christ just isn’t enough. God forbid. The water baptism was a fulfillment of the word of our Father concerning our Saviour. Which we call the water baptism.

Listen to what John said why he baptized with water.

John 1:33

“And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom you shall see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.”

John acknowledges that the Father sent him to prepare Israel for our Saviour.

He also acknowledges that he didn’t know our Saviour but our Father gave him a sign in order for him to know the Savour. He was told that he would know Christ when he baptize him and the Holy Spirit would descend upon on Him. It would also be a sign to him that his ministry was over. Fulfilling our Father’s word, which he had spoken to John, concerning his purpose. And as our Savour said John was the last prophet. The prophecies were complete. Everything spoken by our Father was complete. There would be no new prophecies given after John. Does this mean we no longer need to search the scriptures? That all prophecies have been fulfilled? God forbid. Because there are prophecies still to be fulfilled. When prophecies are said to end with John it meant that everything has been said and there would be no knew prophecies. So, these men who say they have received knew prophecies from the Father are lying.

If John had refused to baptize our Saviour then our Father’s word would not have been fulfilled. When John told our Saviour that he had need of his baptism, our Saviour responded with “let all righteousness be fulfilled”, meaning let the Father’s word be fulfilled. It was through this event the Holy Spirit would be given by the Father to His Son.

Matt 3:13

“Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.”

In the Jewish New Testament, it is written as:

John 3:13 (jnt)

“Then Yeshua came from the Galil to the Yarden to be immersed by Yochanan. But Yochanan tried to stop him. "You are coming to me? I ought to be immersed by you!" However, Yeshua answered him, "Let it be this way now, because we should do everything righteousness requires." Then Yochanan let him. As soon as Yeshua had been immersed, he came up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, he saw the Spirit of God coming down upon him like a dove, and a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; I am well pleased with him."

Peter confirms the baptism that would come from our Saviour:

Act 1:5

“For John truly baptized with water; but you shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.”

The Baptism of John ended with our Saviour and the baptism of the Holy Spirit was to take the place of water. The water was a sign to Israel and to fulfill the word of our Father.

Paul says the following:

1Co 1:14

“I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel:”

Ask yourself this question. If Paul said “I thank the FATHER that I baptized none other”, why would Paul make such a statement? Why would he not at this time instruct us to continue to baptize with water? All of the conversions under Paul’s preaching came through the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is why is it written that there is but one baptism? We know now that this refers to the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 4:5

“One Lord, one faith, one baptism,”

You must let the FATHER speak to you through his Holy Spirit concerning this matter.

Let’s look into the baptism of the Holy Spirit and then the Fire. We know that the receiving of the Holy Ghost or Spirit is received when Jesus saves us. He promised us to give us a comforter.

Listen to the next verse:

Ephesians 1:13-14

“In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.”

So, we understand the Holy Spirit is what we receive when we are saved. The Holy Spirit is the comforter that our Saviour said would come.

But what about the fire? What was the purpose of the fire? In Corinthians we are told the purpose. It is explained in this next verse.

1 Corinthians 3:13-15

“For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.”

Do you see the purpose of the Fire? It is to destroy our bad works.

This is the conclusion: John was sent by the Father to prepare the way of our Savior. Teaching Israel they must repent of their sin and receive the baptized of our Saviour. He showed Israel a form of baptism that would not take away their sin but taught them of the one that would. Now if water was essential to our salvation it would require a work on our part, making salvation works plus faith. But as the scripture has declared the just shall live by faith. All righteousness is in our Saviour in order for it to be a gift, given to us by trusting.

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it(Acts 2:38) was a command to 3000 people, not a suggestion or a multiple choice suggestion as Christianity thinks today.
If it was a command by the lord to baptize with water. Don’t you think Paul would have expressed that to the Gentiles? But he said the Lord sent him not to baptize but to preach the gospel. Water baptism was not a command because had it been Paul would have bent sent to baptize.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are three baptisms mentioned in the scriptures. One is water, one is the Holy Spirit and the other is Fire. A person must come to understand that salvation is a gift that requires faith and not works. If works were to come into play than salvation would no longer be a gift.

Water is a human work. We perform it. What was the purpose of water baptism? It was to show Israel that once they repented they would be cleansed from their sin. John used water as an example to show this. John the Baptist was sent to prepare the people of Israel to receive our Savior. Israel had always required a sign in order to understand.

As it is written:

1Co 1:22

“For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:”

Even Barnabas wrote about water baptism as being a sign which would not bring remission of sins for Israel.

Barnabas 11:1

“But let us enquire whether the Lord took care to signify before hand concerning the water and the cross. Now concerning the water it is written in reference to Israel, how that they would not receive the baptism which bringeth remission of sins,”

This water baptism was designed to show Israel what would take place when they would receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Listen to what John tells the Israelites, when they questioned him about his baptism.

Matthew 3:11

“I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.”

John was telling Israel that they would have to receive the baptism that would come through our Saviour.

So, water was a sign to Israel representing a sign of the one to come.

John baptized Christ with the water. Why? What was the purpose? People argue that because our Saviour was baptized with water, we are obligated to do the same. But obligated by who? This opinion is based on human reasoning. If water baptism is required we make it part of righteousness. This would make a fleshly work part of our salvation. And if this is true we would have to confess that Christ just isn’t enough. God forbid. The water baptism was a fulfillment of the word of our Father concerning our Saviour. Which we call the water baptism.

Listen to what John said why he baptized with water.

John 1:33

“And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom you shall see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.”

John acknowledges that the Father sent him to prepare Israel for our Saviour.

He also acknowledges that he didn’t know our Saviour but our Father gave him a sign in order for him to know the Savour. He was told that he would know Christ when he baptize him and the Holy Spirit would descend upon on Him. It would also be a sign to him that his ministry was over. Fulfilling our Father’s word, which he had spoken to John, concerning his purpose. And as our Savour said John was the last prophet. The prophecies were complete. Everything spoken by our Father was complete. There would be no new prophecies given after John. Does this mean we no longer need to search the scriptures? That all prophecies have been fulfilled? God forbid. Because there are prophecies still to be fulfilled. When prophecies are said to end with John it meant that everything has been said and there would be no knew prophecies. So, these men who say they have received knew prophecies from the Father are lying.

If John had refused to baptize our Saviour then our Father’s word would not have been fulfilled. When John told our Saviour that he had need of his baptism, our Saviour responded with “let all righteousness be fulfilled”, meaning let the Father’s word be fulfilled. It was through this event the Holy Spirit would be given by the Father to His Son.

Matt 3:13

“Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.”

In the Jewish New Testament, it is written as:

John 3:13 (jnt)

“Then Yeshua came from the Galil to the Yarden to be immersed by Yochanan. But Yochanan tried to stop him. "You are coming to me? I ought to be immersed by you!" However, Yeshua answered him, "Let it be this way now, because we should do everything righteousness requires." Then Yochanan let him. As soon as Yeshua had been immersed, he came up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, he saw the Spirit of God coming down upon him like a dove, and a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; I am well pleased with him."

Peter confirms the baptism that would come from our Saviour:

Act 1:5

“For John truly baptized with water; but you shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.”

The Baptism of John ended with our Saviour and the baptism of the Holy Spirit was to take the place of water. The water was a sign to Israel and to fulfill the word of our Father.

Paul says the following:

1Co 1:14

“I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel:”

Ask yourself this question. If Paul said “I thank the FATHER that I baptized none other”, why would Paul make such a statement? Why would he not at this time instruct us to continue to baptize with water? All of the conversions under Paul’s preaching came through the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is why is it written that there is but one baptism? We know now that this refers to the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 4:5

“One Lord, one faith, one baptism,”

You must let the FATHER speak to you through his Holy Spirit concerning this matter.

Let’s look into the baptism of the Holy Spirit and then the Fire. We know that the receiving of the Holy Ghost or Spirit is received when Jesus saves us. He promised us to give us a comforter.

Listen to the next verse:

Ephesians 1:13-14

“In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.”

So, we understand the Holy Spirit is what we receive when we are saved. The Holy Spirit is the comforter that our Saviour said would come.

But what about the fire? What was the purpose of the fire? In Corinthians we are told the purpose. It is explained in this next verse.

1 Corinthians 3:13-15

“For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.”

Do you see the purpose of the Fire? It is to destroy our bad works.

This is the conclusion: John was sent by the Father to prepare the way of our Savior. Teaching Israel they must repent of their sin and receive the baptized of our Saviour. He showed Israel a form of baptism that would not take away their sin but taught them of the one that would. Now if water was essential to our salvation it would require a work on our part, making salvation works plus faith. But as the scripture has declared the just shall live by faith. All righteousness is in our Saviour in order for it to be a gift, given to us by trusting.

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Note: As a woman giving birth to a baby, water is present (at this one birth), so is water present at our spiritual birth.

Here are the parallels:
Natural realm birth - Water(amniotic fluid) and Child Born = one birth
Spiritual realm birth - Water(baptism) and Spirit = one birth

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Note: As a woman giving birth to a baby, water is present (at this one birth), so is water present at our spiritual birth.

Here are the parallels:
Natural realm birth - Water(amniotic fluid) and Child Born = one birth
Spiritual realm birth - Water(baptism) and Spirit = one birth
Your right when Christ told Nicodemus you must must be born again. Nicodemus ask how can you enter the womb for the second time. Christ responded to him him their is a water birth and a spiritual birth. Christ was referring to the natural birth.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nicodemus ask how can you enter the womb for the second time. Christ responded to him him their is a water birth and a spiritual birth. Christ was referring to the natural birth.

No. It was Nicodemus referring to the natural birth, and Jesus referring to spiritual birth.

1 John 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it was a command by the lord to baptize with water. Don’t you think Paul would have expressed that to the Gentiles? But he said the Lord sent him not to baptize but to preach the gospel. Water baptism was not a command because had it been Paul would have bent sent to baptize.
Paul had his friends do the baptizing as per found in Acts 19.

You now know what was going on in the ministry of Paul.

Don't forget it.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend:
{Physical} Water is for the remission of sins, and ONE Of God's THREE
Requirements For The NATION OF ISRAEL
to be inducted into the
"priesthood!" {see #'s 4, 9, and 10} here:
13 Bible baptisms

From CHRIST To HIS TWELVE, on the earth! { Currently “On HOLD!” }
Prophecy/Law
------------------------------------------------------------------
Rightly Divided (2_Timothy_2:15!) From “Things That DIFFER!”:
-------------------------------------------------
MYSTERY/GRACE
From CHRIST To HIS one, From Heaven!! { Currently ACTIVE!}:

The Spiritual {water} is the "Washing Of water By The WORD"
(Ephesians 5 : 26 KJB!), The "Washing Of Regeneration"
(Titus 3 : 5 KJB!)

This Is The OPERATION Of God, The ONE BAPTISM "BY" The Holy Spirit
(Ephesians 4 : 5; 1 Corinthians 12 : 13 KJB!) {see #13} here:

13 Bible baptisms

Precious friend(s), please Be Very Richly Blessed!

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. It was Nicodemus referring to the natural birth, and Jesus referring to spiritual birth.

1 John 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
I guess you can build you own doctrine concerning why water baptism is important but when it says three bear witness concerning the water was referring to the event that took place with Christ’s baptism of John when God declared from Heaven the Christ was his SON.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you can build you own doctrine concerning why water baptism is important but when it says three bear witness concerning the water was referring to the event that took place with Christ’s baptism of John when God declared from Heaven the Christ was his SON.
Water baptism is specifically for the remission of sins per Acts 2:38.

Remission of sins is specifically obtained by it becoming our burial with Christ per Rom 6.

No burial, no remission...easy as that.

fellow

Jan 17, 2020
ark
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
Act 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Act 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

Reactions: Truther

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
Act 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Act 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

Verse 37 is fake. The servant took a bath before his journey into Africa. And the Lord forced Phillip into another destination.