Adam: created perfect?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Gen 1:31, Adam was completed just as God had in mind.
However, I think subsequent events demonstrate that Adam wasn't created
morally perfect, but rather; morally innocent.

Buen Camino
/

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Webers_Home said:

Buen Camino
/
Of course. In my humble opinion, moral perfection (righteousness) is something that is inherited by reproduciton rather than created. We receive it from God through the new birth. Adam did not have that experience. But there may well be another angle to it. Adam was in an envoirnment that brought temptation into the picture. In the new heavens and earth, there will be no such thing.

As well, I have concluded in my studies that there is another test that all free thinking members of creation, angels included, under go. It is seen in the original sin of Lucifer, who wanted and determined to sit on the throne as God. In this determination, there are several decisions that coincide: One will question or oppose the integrity of God or at least His authority. As a default or result, one will reject, oppose, or question the idea that God has the right to determine our individual callings and purposes.

I believe that moral imperfection (unrighteousness, sin) has its origin from this original iniquity. God has for the benfit of mankind, removed the barrier that sin has created between man and God. Sin is wrong and bad and hurtful and destructive, and all those things, but it is not the issue that stands between man and God.

The church, I believe, for the most part, has been obsessed with the sin issue. I think this is a diversion. She has been going about trying to solve a dead issue; one that God has already solved. Not that we should sin or condone sin, but many have taken to accepting the lie that sin can remove our good standing with God. How is that possible? The cross is responsible for our good standing, not our behavior. How can our behavior be thrown into the equation after the fact? There are many reasons why this cannot be the case.

The real issue is rather, our humility in accepting that God's role is to render us in good standing, and our role to accept it by faith. The real issue is that which has always been the real issue. Pride vs. humility; Self exaltation vs. the rightful exaltation of God. As long as a person is going about the business of rendering himself in good standing with God, he has been duped into playing God's role. God did not throw Adam out of His presence. He merely temporarily removed man's access to the tree of life. He continued to be in relationship with Adam and mankind. The lie is that sin has caused God to turn His back on us. The truth is that sin has removed life from us, not God's presence. It is man through a guilty conscience that rather turns his back on, or hides from God, as Adam and Eve did in the beginning.

Does anyone need help with sin? Come boldly into the Holy of Holies, to find grace to help in time of need. The role of the sacrifice of Jesus was/is to purge our guilty conscience (Heb.10:2,22). Sin is not our main obsticle in serving God, but rather the impression of guilt.
Man has always had it backwards. We do not clean up our lives in order to be in God's presence. The fact is, abiding in His presence is that which gives us the strength, power, and ability to clean up our lives. Jesus said..." Abide in Me and you WILL bear fruit". (paraphrased..John15:4,5)
The devil himself is delighted when we put the cart before the horse. Blessings in Christ, Howie

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
williemac said:
Of course. In my humble opinion, moral perfection (righteousness) is something that is inherited by reproduciton rather than created. We receive it from God through the new birth. Adam did not have that experience. But there may well be another angle to it. Adam was in an envoirnment that brought temptation into the picture. In the new heavens and earth, there will be no such thing.

As well, I have concluded in my studies that there is another test that all free thinking members of creation, angels included, under go. It is seen in the original sin of Lucifer, who wanted and determined to sit on the throne as God. In this determination, there are several decisions that coincide: One will question or oppose the integrity of God or at least His authority. As a default or result, one will reject, oppose, or question the idea that God has the right to determine our individual callings and purposes.

I believe that moral imperfection (unrighteousness, sin) has its origin from this original iniquity. God has for the benfit of mankind, removed the barrier that sin has created between man and God. Sin is wrong and bad and hurtful and destructive, and all those things, but it is not the issue that stands between man and God.

The church, I believe, for the most part, has been obsessed with the sin issue. I think this is a diversion. She has been going about trying to solve a dead issue; one that God has already solved. Not that we should sin or condone sin, but many have taken to accepting the lie that sin can remove our good standing with God. How is that possible? The cross is responsible for our good standing, not our behavior. How can our behavior be thrown into the equation after the fact? There are many reasons why this cannot be the case.

The real issue is rather, our humility in accepting that God's role is to render us in good standing, and our role to accept it by faith. The real issue is that which has always been the real issue. Pride vs. humility; Self exaltation vs. the rightful exaltation of God. As long as a person is going about the business of rendering himself in good standing with God, he has been duped into playing God's role. God did not throw Adam out of His presence. He merely temporarily removed man's access to the tree of life. He continued to be in relationship with Adam and mankind. The lie is that sin has caused God to turn His back on us. The truth is that sin has removed life from us, not God's presence. It is man through a guilty conscience that rather turns his back on, or hides from God, as Adam and Eve did in the beginning.

Does anyone need help with sin? Come boldly into the Holy of Holies, to find grace to help in time of need. The role of the sacrifice of Jesus was/is to purge our guilty conscience (Heb.10:2,22). Sin is not our main obsticle in serving God, but rather the impression of guilt.
Man has always had it backwards. We do not clean up our lives in order to be in God's presence. The fact is, abiding in His presence is that which gives us the strength, power, and ability to clean up our lives. Jesus said..." Abide in Me and you WILL bear fruit". (paraphrased..John15:4,5)
The devil himself is delighted when we put the cart before the horse. Blessings in Christ, Howie
At first it was due to Eve misunderstanding which tree was the forbidden for she did not receive God's Word directly from God but SECOND HAND and thought it was the tree in the MIDST of the garden she was not to eat of, and Satan did not correct her. Adam was told which tree not to eat of before Eve was taken out of him. But then Adam is guilty for obeying Eve to please her instead of disobeying God's Word, and that caused Adam to hide from God because he knew he had done wrong.

Yet later on we see that Cain was banished from God's presence for the sin character that he portrayed. When Cain got jealous of his brother Abel who pleased God, God told Cain that if you do better won't you be accepted? So while it proves he Cain/Can, yet he won't, but Abel was able. Cain wanted to lower his competetion to his level instead of raising up his standards. So he killed the competetion to level the "field", Just as most who are corrupted do. His down fall was his unbelief, he did not really believe in God nor turn to Him for help or else he would have understood that God sees all, nothing escapes his eye. Man CAN fool man, but not God.

By the way, have you ever heard a VOICE WALKING? The Voice is the Word of God who is Jesus, Jesus was walking in the garden in the cool of the day. My sheep(followers) hear(will listen to) my voice(Word).

Gen 3:8-10
8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
KJV
Gen 3:17
17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
KJV
Gen 4:6-7
6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
KJV

If you also realize that this is not the same man and woman created on the 6thday. This is the account of the FIRST Adam who was created ALONE and is being revealed to us of him in the GENERATIONS of the Heaven and Earth when God first created them in the first heaven and earth in Gen.1:1 that was destroyed by Gen.1:2. If you look you will see that this Adam was created before all other things, even Eve. But in the account of the 6th day creation all things were already here before the male and female were created. Just as we are looking for a new heavens and a new earth at the end of our fallen age. Seedtime and harvest will never cease as long as their is an earth says God. Harvest is HERE! and there will be the 7th day rest of the earth for her to replenish the soil and then it will be seedtime again after the 1,000yrs.

Gen 2:4-8
4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
KJV
2 Peter 2:4-5
4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
KJV

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Adam and Eve were declared to be "very good" (Gen 1:31). They weren't made "perfect". Only God is perfect. They may have been made without flaw or blemish, but they were not perfect.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I should probably define what is meant by moral innocence.

The details of the Genesis story indicate that Adam was created with a
memory; but not with a conscience; which Webster's defines as: a sense
or consciousness of the moral goodness or blameworthiness of one's own
conduct, intentions, or character; together with a feeling of obligation to do
right or be good.

In other words: Adam knew the limits in regards to tasting the tree of the
knowledge of good and evil, and he knew the consequences for testing
those limits; but he was thoroughly incapable of feeling it was wrong to
test them. In other words; knowing something is wrong, and feeling
something is wrong, are two very different approaches to morality.

†. Gen 3:11 . . Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not
to eat from?

So then, Adam's sin wasn't in going against the grain of his conscience
because at the time, he didn't have one. Adam's sin was in testing the
limits, and for that sin one need not have a knowledge of right and wrong
but simply a knowledge of the rules.

Take for example Adam's feelings about frontal nudity. Up till the forbidden
tree incident, Adam never once felt that frontal nudity was wrong, nor had
Adam's maker even suggested it was wrong. But after sampling the tree,
Adam began to feel it was wrong; which is way different than being told it's
wrong. Is frontal nudity wrong? Well; I've been a Bible student since 1968
and have yet to encounter even one passage in the entire Bible where God
clearly, and without ambiguity, either forbids or condemns frontal nudity. In
other words; people have made frontal nudity wrong only because they feel
it's wrong.

Buen Camino
/

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Webers_Home said:
I should probably define what is meant by moral innocence.

The details of the Genesis story indicate that Adam was created with a
memory; but not with a conscience; which Webster's defines as: a sense
or consciousness of the moral goodness or blameworthiness of one's own
conduct, intentions, or character; together with a feeling of obligation to do
right or be good.

In other words: Adam knew the limits in regards to tasting the tree of the
knowledge of good and evil, and he knew the consequences for testing
those limits; but he was thoroughly incapable of feeling it was wrong to
test them. In other words; knowing something is wrong, and feeling
something is wrong, are two very different approaches to morality.

†. Gen 3:11 . . Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not
to eat from?

So then, Adam's sin wasn't in going against the grain of his conscience
because at the time, he didn't have one. Adam's sin was in testing the
limits, and for that sin one need not have a knowledge of right and wrong
but simply a knowledge of the rules.

Take for example Adam's feelings about frontal nudity. Up till the forbidden
tree incident, Adam never once felt that frontal nudity was wrong, nor had
Adam's maker even suggested it was wrong. But after sampling the tree,
Adam began to feel it was wrong; which is way different than being told it's
wrong. Is frontal nudity wrong? Well; I've been a Bible student since 1968
and have yet to encounter even one passage in the entire Bible where God
clearly, and without ambiguity, either forbids or condemns frontal nudity. In
other words; people have made frontal nudity wrong only because they feel
it's wrong.

Buen Camino
/
Adam and Eve both knew that it was wrong to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. They also knew it consciously. The tree of knowledge of good and evil was put there to remind man that he is a creature created by God despite that he was created in His image and likeness. In other words, it is a reminder that man is subject to God. It is a reminder that only God should be the one to determine what is good and evil.

Man is not the one to determine what is good and evil. Only God should make that decision, and man's role is to trust God's judgement. So, when God says eating that fruit is bad because it will bring death, man is not to trust God in what He says despite that the fruit doesn't look dangerous to eat.

When man ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, the decision to determine good and evil was given to man. And look what man has done when this decision was left up to him. Man thinks that abortion was okay and legalized it. Man thinks that homosexuality is normal and legalized same-sex marriage in some states. The tree of knowledge of good and evil has nothing to do with giving man "knowledge" of good and evil because they already knew what is good and evil through God. But because they wanted to be like God in deciding for themselves what should be good and evil, they ate the forbidden fruit.

jeremiah1five

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, USA
He was neither "innocent" nor "perfect."

There is only ONE God.

He is the standard by which all things and all persons are judged. The only Person who can stand before a Holy God is the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Everyone and everything falls short of His glory. And the Biblical definition of that terminology is "missing the mark." It is translated in the KJV as "sin."

BiggAndyy said:
Adam and Eve were declared to be "very good" (Gen 1:31). They weren't made "perfect". Only God is perfect. They may have been made without flaw or blemish, but they were not perfect.
They were not "morally good." The word used is defined as "good enough" or "to specifications." There is another Hebrew word that is used for morally good and it is not used for Adam's creation.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I don't believe the word "moral" was anywhere near my post, which, in fact, you quoted, yet still managed to see that phantom word therein.

jeremiah1five

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, USA
BiggAndyy said:
I don't believe the word "moral" was anywhere near my post, which, in fact, you quoted, yet still managed to see that phantom word therein.
Just giving you the definition of the word "very good." It does not mean "morally good," but "good" as in "good enough," or "to specifications."
God was in effect saying when He was done creating man was that the man was created to God's specifications and He was pleased with this result.
God cannot reduplicate Himself. There is only One God.

Feb 7, 2013
Hi Buen,
I have read your posts with interest and fear as I believe you have lead people close to a precipice.**

Personally I have no concern with the words of your comments. Biblically Genesis 2:25 says both Adam and Eve were not ashamed of their nakedness and it wasn't until after they ate that the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons (Gen 3:7).

This is saying outright that they were both blinded to the knowledge of good and evil. Correct me if I am wrong but this is what you are referring to as being morally innocent right? And I might be inclined to agree unless proven otherwise.

Consider any other of God's creations. Our genes determine how we appear. One sibling has Brown hair while the other has blonde, because of how our genes are expressed. We all have genes which are not expressed.

Just maybe, God created Adam perfect, with free will, and the knowledge of good and evil "un-expressed", until Adam (and Eve) expressed their free will in defiance of God's Law (Don't eat of that tree). Once they chose to express their free will against God's law sin and the knowledge of good and evil came into existence in this world. (Just a thought I had).

Anyway, to the topic, your Title to this thread.
Are you questioning God's word?

After the sixth day of creation the Bible says Gen 1:31 "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day."

Not just "good" as it was said of the other 5 days, but very good! God created us in "their" image, which was Very good apparently. Should we now question whether he finished the job?

I say these things because of the next logical step, being. If God didn't create Adam perfect and missed a piece of morality which might have allowed Adam and Eve to resist the devils temptations, then; Does that mean that God purposefully created or intended for us to sin?

**This is the precipice that I fear, because there are those that believe that God created both Adam and the devil with this propensity. This makes God an accomplice to sin, evil, iniquity and rebellion against who? Himself? Mark 3:24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Can you see the subtlety (Gen 3:1) in the cunning of reason with this line of thought brought on by the devil?

I pray that with study we might come to the truth. Some scripture for consideration...
Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
2 Samuel 22:31 & Psalms 18:30 As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.

Steve

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
jeremiah1five said:
Just giving you the definition of the word "very good." It does not mean "morally good," but "good" as in "good enough," or "to specifications."
God was in effect saying when He was done creating man was that the man was created to God's specifications and He was pleased with this result.
God cannot reduplicate Himself. There is only One God.
Again, you are reading what you want, not what I wrote.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Adam was created pure and innocent but God tests everything that He creates and Adam was no exception. Lucifer and all the angels (created beings) were tested, too.

jeremiah1five

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, USA
Axehead said:
Adam was created pure and innocent but God tests everything that He creates and Adam was no exception. Lucifer and all the angels (created beings) were tested, too.
God is pure.
According to you there are two God's.
But understand one thing, that in order to have one deific attribute one would have to have them ALL.

There is only ONE God.

Go ahead and get the last word in. I'm looking for brethren that actually have love for brethren and give it.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
jeremiah1five said:
God is pure.
According to you there are two God's.
But understand one thing, that in order to have one deific attribute one would have to have them ALL.

There is only ONE God.

Go ahead and get the last word in. I'm looking for brethren that actually have love for brethren and give it.
You are reading into what I say just like you read into the Scriptures what you think (eisegesis). Your subtle implications "I'm looking for brethren that actually have love for brethren and give it", betray who you really are and what you are about.

jeremiah1five

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, USA
Axehead said:
You are reading into what I say just like you read into the Scriptures what you think (eisegesis). Your subtle implications "I'm looking for brethren that actually have love for brethren and give it", betray who you really are and what you are about.
No, I am reading your spirit in your words.
Jesus said, "If you love me you will obey me."
Jesus also said that if you have issue with your brother to go to him privately..."
You disobeyed Jesus Christ when you posted that piece over in the "Demon" post.
If you don't obey Christ this shows you don't love Him as He had said, and if you don't obey nor love Christ, you DEFINITELY do not love me in your words to try to turn my brethren against me and cause my trouble. You are a trouble-maker just because I don't post according to what you believe.

What is it that is said in the Church?

In essentials, unity.
In non-essentials, love?

What do I have to do? Post the Apostles Creed and give assent to it in order to please you? Consider me an unorthodox orthodox. I don't rely on Commentaries like a great majority in the Church do, and most likely you do, too. I can tell the spirit. I study on my own with guidance of the Word of Truth and the Spirit of Truth. And now you're trying to get dragonfly against me. It's already started and YOU are leading it.
When you obey Christ then I will know you love Him, and from this love for Christ will I have evidence you may also love His people.
Of which I am.

Are you a Christians? Are you under command to do to others as you would want them to do to you?

What if this unChristian treatment I am receiving from you is given back to you? You are doing to me what you want me to do to you, right christian?

But if you don't obey Christ in Matthew 18:15.....

I'm the new guy. I will be the one axed, AXEhead. But what you do to me you do to Christ. So, get on with your bad self.
And you'll also notice I am not like Judas in this one thing....

I don't snitch.

Handle your business.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Buen Camino
Moral perfection is based on knowing good from evil, right from wrong....this is an oxymoron. :unsure:

Axehead

May 9, 2012
jeremiah1five said:
No, I am reading your spirit in your words.
Jesus said, "If you love me you will obey me."
Jesus also said that if you have issue with your brother to go to him privately..."
You disobeyed Jesus Christ when you posted that piece over in the "Demon" post.
If you don't obey Christ this shows you don't love Him as He had said, and if you don't obey nor love Christ, you DEFINITELY do not love me in your words to try to turn my brethren against me and cause my trouble. You are a trouble-maker just because I don't post according to what you believe.

What is it that is said in the Church?

In essentials, unity.
In non-essentials, love?

What do I have to do? Post the Apostles Creed and give assent to it in order to please you? Consider me an unorthodox orthodox. I don't rely on Commentaries like a great majority in the Church do, and most likely you do, too. I can tell the spirit. I study on my own with guidance of the Word of Truth and the Spirit of Truth. And now you're trying to get dragonfly against me. It's already started and YOU are leading it.
When you obey Christ then I will know you love Him, and from this love for Christ will I have evidence you may also love His people.
Of which I am.

Are you a Christians? Are you under command to do to others as you would want them to do to you?

What if this unChristian treatment I am receiving from you is given back to you? You are doing to me what you want me to do to you, right christian?

But if you don't obey Christ in Matthew 18:15.....

I'm the new guy. I will be the one axed, AXEhead. But what you do to me you do to Christ. So, get on with your bad self.
And you'll also notice I am not like Judas in this one thing....

I don't snitch.

Handle your business.
I am reading your spirit also, Jerry and when someone comes in and presumes to be able to line up the sheep and the goats (bringing division) it is no surprise that they play the victim (displaying a martyr complex). Do you play the victim like this in real life, too?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perfection is not a characteristic limited to God. Creation can only be as perfect as it was created to be. God declared creation to be good and so it was good. It was created exactly in the manner God designed it to act. A&E decided to knowingly deviate from doing what they were designed to do, which was to love perfectly - they added the task of determining good from evil, which ended up turning out badly.

it turns out that the closest humans can get to determining good from evil is to declare selfish desire 'good' and everything that fails to meet our selfish desires as 'evil'.