Addiction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Celebrate Recovery was amazing. I went for a long time after I graduated Teen Challenge and provides a lot of accountability.
Yes it is, my roomer/sister in Christ helps to run the one at my church. I have gone there to help out on chip /dinner nights a few times. I recomend it to everybody. We even have several folks who do not know the Lord. Yet! They keep coming back.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How much do you drink aspen, nowadays people are classed as such by having 2 beers a day.
A mate down the road drinks 500ml of rum a day and about 6 stubbys of beer and he thinks that everyone does the same.

My Dad would get rotten drunk on Friday nights only mainly until he was 47yo then he just moved town and gave that up, no old drinking mates to go see down the pub and my mum would not let him ever have beer at home unless there was a party going on. but I think if it was not for my mum he would of drank like a idiot every day.
He only drank beer but he said that people who drink spirits are the ones who go down hill fast, I know a lot of people who drank very heavy every day with beer all the way to there 70's and were fine.

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am addicted to alcohol and trying to get into treatment. It costs 50,000 dollars a month in the US. I do not have 50,000 dollars so I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for a free bed. Some may want to believe I desire a hand out ..fine. I still need treatment. As Christian people, mercy is forefront. Europe refuses to profit from sin tax - they choose not to profit off addiction and it works. I am desperate - any suggestions?
Minister to someone worse than yourself.....because you qualify.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This won't cost even $5.00.

1. Just get a permanent marker and write "POISON" on every bottle.

2. Perhaps draw a skull and crossbones below that.

3. Then just ask yourself why you would wish to poison yourself.

4. Then dump it all down the drain and drink some fresh orange juice.

Addictions don't work like that...

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not? It's as simple as A-B-C.

People like to complicate things and there's money to be made in complex solutions and drugs etc.

Often times there is a deeper root problem the person is dealing with that requires professional help and addiction is a complicated condition. If it was that easy then there would be no addicts. Addiction requires more than just behavior modification.

B

brakelite

@aspen I come from a long line of alcoholics going back several generations on my mother's side, and affecting both men and women...bringing death to some, and institutions to others. My mum seemed to escape the gene, but my grandfather died an alcoholic, and many uncles and aunties were affected. I started drinking at 13. My mum, after losing her own father, was horrified and scared out of her wits. She always worried for me, but never took the time to fully explain...maybe out of embarrassment or shame, I don't know. But by the time I was 17 I was drinking 6 pints every day after work, then going home and smoking weed, after which I would go out and drink some more at least 3 or 4 days a week. On week-ends I would add a carafe of wine to the list, along with the odd shot glass of bourbon. If I wasn't an alcoholic by age 23 or 24, I was well on the way.
I asked Jesus into my life at age 25. Asked Him to make my life one of which He could take pride. He's still working on that, but all desire to drink completely evaporated over night. Literally. Now I fully understand everyone's experience is different. But I am sharing this with you simply to reveal what is possible. Clearly, I likely had a way to way to go before my addiction became full blown, and I thank God for intervening in time.
God bless you as you seek healing.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your posts - it was a tough, yet powerful weekend. I apologize Triumph for the idiot comment. I was wrong and I ask your forgiveness.

Thanks BOL for the prayers and yes, i will pray for you, as well.

Once again, thanks everyone.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your posts - it was a tough, yet powerful weekend. I apologize Triumph for the idiot comment. I was wrong and I ask your forgiveness.

♥ So good to see you back Aspen, we have all missed and worried about you. Glory to God! He is so our All in All! ♥

Reactions: amadeus and aspen

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @aspe1n, I really can relate to your plea for help. I know one thing is certain, whether you go to AA, Celebrate Recovery, treatment facility, or receive deliverance from God....you will be most successful if you have a support group or person to help you through this especially someone who has been there and can empathize without sympathy or pity. Whatever is in your past or present that may be causing you a great deal of pain or anger will always be in your past or present until you can choose to let go.....as the prayer goes...God, Grant me the serenity to ACCEPT the things I CANNOT CHANGE, the COURAGE to CHANGE the things I CAN, and the WISDOM to KNOW the DIFFERENCE.
The reason the groups above pray this prayer each day is because this is the very center of where it all started for most.

I will pray for you....you can always PM me if you just need to talk. The first step to recovery is admitting you need help...so you are already on your way to healing.

God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Hi Aspen!
Good to see you back.
I was thinking about you. Just hoping nothing bad happened.
We're keeping you in prayer.
God bless you and give you the strength we need to live this present life till we're with Him.

Reactions: amadeus and aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last week i reached out for help at the following places:

1. Hospital
2. Detox
3. Local social services

The hopspital gave me fluids and threw me into a room with a plastic mattress and a barf bag and forced me to stay until they decided I was sober. When i demanded to know when I was going to be able to leave, they medically restrained me - I am not kidding. Apparently, you cannot demand anything when you are drunk. Also, it is nice to know that hospital can dope you into oblivion without consent or consquence, just don’t try it at home.

Detox refused services twice - first time, I was not drinking long enough (must be drinking for three weeks straight - i am not sure how anyone could drink as much as I do - when I infrequently relapse - for more than a couple of days), and then, because I was too sober.

Local social services put me on a long waiting list.

In the meanwhile, i was assaulted by a neighbor on Saturday - punched in the forehead so hard, I was knocked out for at least a minute (I was walking home after dark and told him to turn down his music). When I called the police, they arrested the guy who had been drinking, which was me of course. So, i spent the three day weekend on the maxium security unit of the county jail with murders and rapists with an untreated concussion, no glasses and no medication, while i suffered withdrawls from everything.

The charges were dropped because they were not valid and the guy was evicted from our complex, but I had to truly suffer in jail (never had a traffic ticket in my life, btw) without understanding the system or given any information for three days. I have filed assault charges.

Now, i am sitting at home recovering, without a job (kinda hard to commute to work from county jail) and nothing stopping me from starting the cycle all over again. Thankfully, my church (no, not my Catholic parish - they have not returned my calls) has totally rallied behind me and given me rides to AA and other services. The minister even visited me in jail because she found out. Not a judgmental person in that church - Amen.

However, It is painfully apparent that treatment is only for rich people or Dr. Phil guests.

I realize that I am guilty of over sharing, but this a real life problem for millions of Americans and we just do not talk about it. Anyone who has transitioned from social drinker to addict is going to face revulsion by hospitals, zero creditibility by law enforcement, and closed doors from overtaxed treatment services. Also, I recognize that many here will believe I deserve everything I got - ok. It is still a problem for millions of Americans and instead of effective treatment, We the People choose to profit off the backs of those deemed to be sinners.

On another note, Paul’s three days of blindness made a lot more sense as well as all the Psalms i read (one inch from my face) in jail.....

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The hopspital gave me fluids and threw me into a room with a plastic mattress and a barf bag and forced me to stay until they decided I was sober. When i demanded to know when I was going to be able to leave, they medically restrained me - I am not kidding. Apparently, you cannot demand anything when you are drunk. Also, it is nice to know that hospital can dope you into oblivion without consent or consquence, just don’t try it at home.
I got a chuckle out of this....well to help you understand the hospital side....you came seeking "medical" attention for your alcoholism...and that's what you got....they probably treated you with Librium or Haldol....they offset the effects of withdrawals....but in all seriousness a person can die from alcohol withdrawals....
My grandfather was an alcoholic but he owned his own business and would only get drunk 1 month out of the year...he closed down for a full month for vacation....but he would go on a binge and end up in the hospital with AWS....it was hard to see him like that.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't need $50,000, you simply need proper motivation. Joyce Meyer said one time to those in her audience who were struggling with smoking that if someone pointed a gun to your child's head and said "light up just one more time and I'll pull the trigger", you'd instantly lose all desire to ever smoke again.

The Bible says we crucify Jesus all over again when we commit known sin, so ask God to each day give you a picture of a Roman soldier bent down over Jesus with rusty nails and hammer in hand waiting for you to have another drink so he can drive those nails into Christ's hands. If you slip up, don't let the devil discourage you. Just repent and keep asking God for the victory. Every child learning to walk stumbles and falls but every father will bend down and pick him up and wipe his tears and hold his hand while encouragijng him to keep trying. "Like as a father pitieth his children, so doth the Lord pitieth them that fear Him." Psalm 103:13

So Phony.....
How is murdering an addicts child going to help them stop using?

Yeah, addiction is that bad

Reactions: Helen and Willie T

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, It is painfully apparent that treatment is only for rich people or Dr. Phil guests.
This is not true aspen.....and if you were to enter a treatment facility guess what they primarily do.....AA....the 12 step program....and of course medications.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got a chuckle out of this....well to help you understand the hospital side....you came seeking "medical" attention for your alcoholism...and that's what you got....they probably treated you with Librium or Haldol....they offset the effects of withdrawals....but in all seriousness a person can die from alcohol withdrawals....
My grandfather was an alcoholic but he owned his own business and would only get drunk 1 month out of the year...he closed down for a full month for vacation....but he would go on a binge and end up in the hospital with AWS....it was hard to see him like that.

No. It was presented as a medical restraint and it wasgiven to me to shut me up. In fact, when I started pacing the floor, i was told to lie down or I would receive another shot.