Addiction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I realize this from his own testimony a while back! I am definitely going to Pray for his strength in this situation!
I was in tear's when I read his Post, So Love is the Key!
I am praying in agreement with you Truth. Can we not have the gift of faith in prayer for another of our brethren? Amen.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am addicted to alcohol and trying to get into treatment. It costs 50,000 dollars a month in the US. I do not have 50,000 dollars so I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for a free bed. Some may want to believe I desire a hand out ..fine. I still need treatment. As Christian people, mercy is forefront. Europe refuses to profit from sin tax - they choose not to profit off addiction and it works. I am desperate - any suggestions?
You don't need $50,000, you simply need proper motivation. Joyce Meyer said one time to those in her audience who were struggling with smoking that if someone pointed a gun to your child's head and said "light up just one more time and I'll pull the trigger", you'd instantly lose all desire to ever smoke again.

The Bible says we crucify Jesus all over again when we commit known sin, so ask God to each day give you a picture of a Roman soldier bent down over Jesus with rusty nails and hammer in hand waiting for you to have another drink so he can drive those nails into Christ's hands. If you slip up, don't let the devil discourage you. Just repent and keep asking God for the victory. Every child learning to walk stumbles and falls but every father will bend down and pick him up and wipe his tears and hold his hand while encouragijng him to keep trying. "Like as a father pitieth his children, so doth the Lord pitieth them that fear Him." Psalm 103:13

Reactions: Mayflower

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am addicted to alcohol and trying to get into treatment. It costs 50,000 dollars a month in the US. I do not have 50,000 dollars so I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for a free bed. Some may want to believe I desire a hand out ..fine. I still need treatment. As Christian people, mercy is forefront. Europe refuses to profit from sin tax - they choose not to profit off addiction and it works. I am desperate - any suggestions?

Aspen, I don't struggle with addiction, so I truly can't know what you're going through right now, but I want to apologize on behalf of those who are telling you you just need to try harder or believer a bit stronger. They'll probably deny they need to, but they do. It's like those parents who are blessed with incredibly well behaved children, and they just think, in their arrogance, that they're fantastic parents. Then God graciously gives them a screamer, and they are humbled. So, so wonderfully humbled! Well...people who have never struggled with something like this might like to make claims...swell. There might even be people who have dealt with it and stopped in the blink of an eye. Good for them. But every soul is different, and God walks with them differently. We mustn't forget that our faith is actually a gift from God. For people to say we lack faith, is actually a criticism against God!
So...ignore them Aspen. Trust that God, in his own, beautiful, confusing way, will walk with you through all this, no matter how far down, or up you have to go. And know he'll be there the whole way, having ordained every step in advance because he knows who you are, how much you can take and that at the end, you will end up loving him more.
Your church family will love you and pray for you too. That's what we do!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
No. I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for the free bed.
Wait for it!
It's worth it. Who can afford 50 thou a month???

I don't know too much about addiction Aspen, but I know one can ruin your life.
I pray you can get over this.
It affects your life and your health too.
Think of your liver and kidneys having to process all that liquor...
Make a mental picture...I think that's what would help me, but I can't say for sure.
We're all praying for you I'm sure.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Aspen, I don't struggle with addiction, so I truly can't know what you're going through right now, but I want to apologize on behalf of those who are telling you you just need to try harder or believer a bit stronger. They'll probably deny they need to, but they do. It's like those parents who are blessed with incredibly well behaved children, and they just think, in their arrogance, that they're fantastic parents. Then God graciously gives them a screamer, and they are humbled. So, so wonderfully humbled! Well...people who have never struggled with something like this might like to make claims...swell. There might even be people who have dealt with it and stopped in the blink of an eye. Good for them. But every soul is different, and God walks with them differently. We mustn't forget that our faith is actually a gift from God. For people to say we lack faith, is actually a criticism against God!
So...ignore them Aspen. Trust that God, in his own, beautiful, confusing way, will walk with you through all this, no matter how far down, or up you have to go. And know he'll be there the whole way, having ordained every step in advance because he knows who you are, how much you can take and that at the end, you will end up loving him more.
Amen!
Great post.
thMCCHNMMW.jpg

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't need $50,000, you simply need proper motivation. Joyce Meyer said one time to those in her audience who were struggling with smoking that if someone pointed a gun to your child's head and said "light up just one more time and I'll pull the trigger", you'd instantly lose all desire to ever smoke again.

The Bible says we crucify Jesus all over again when we commit known sin, so ask God to each day give you a picture of a Roman soldier bent down over Jesus with rusty nails and hammer in hand waiting for you to have another drink so he can drive those nails into Christ's hands. If you slip up, don't let the devil discourage you. Just repent and keep asking God for the victory. Every child learning to walk stumbles and falls but every father will bend down and pick him up and wipe his tears and hold his hand while encouragijng him to keep trying. "Like as a father pitieth his children, so doth the Lord pitieth them that fear Him." Psalm 103:13
You do make a good point, especially in that first paragraph.

Reactions: Mayflower

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is there a “colony of mercy” near you? Their admission fees are close to nothing and are for men only. We know some who have really been helped and gone on to help others there. Then we have also heard some negative in different areas...depending on who is over the one closest to you.

Job 16:20-21
[20] My friends scorn me: but mine eye poureth out tears unto God. [21] O that one might plead for a man with God, as a man pleadeth for his neighbour!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I want to apologize on behalf of those who are telling you you just need to try harder or believer a bit stronger. They'll probably deny they need to, but they do. It's like those parents who are blessed with incredibly well behaved children, and they just think, in their arrogance, that they're fantastic parents. Then God graciously gives them a screamer, and they are humbled. So, so wonderfully humbled! Well...people who have never struggled with something like this might like to make claims...swell. There might even be people who have dealt with it and stopped in the blink of an eye. Good for them. But every soul is different, and God walks with them differently. We mustn't forget that our faith is actually a gift from God. For people to say we lack faith, is actually a criticism against God!

Naomi THANK YOU a thousand times for that post.

I had 'held my breath' when I first saw how brave Ron was is even daring to post it. He had shared it privately, but how brave to even risk opening his heart here.

I have been reading some of the glib comments on here to him and gritting me teeth in anger and inner pain for him.

I think the Indians said it best when they said ( something like)
"Don't judge a man until you have walked miles in his moccasins ."

These people who post smart aleck and judgment posts just make themselves look stupid and naked of love and compassion for their neighbour. And show us all how glaringly obvious that they have never had a real glimpse of the Father heart of God.

Thank you again for your wise and caring post.
You are my friend forever...even when /if we disagree :)

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen - I know we've had our differences but I want to commend you for the courage it took to post this.
EVERY one of us has our weaknesses and/or addictions - and we'd be lying if we said we didn't.

I will be praying for you - and I hope that you will pray for me.
I am just as frail and flawed as you are - as we ALL are. God be with you.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
At AA we say, put your butt on a seat, take the cotton wool out of your ears and stick it into your mouth, get a sponsor and do the program. Get along side people in the meetings that have good recovery. You will find plenty of support.
Personal recovery requires action which includes wrestling with God in prayer as did Jacob.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
These people who post smart aleck and judgment posts just make themselves look stupid and naked of love and compassion for their neighbour. And show us all how glaringly obvious that they have never had a real glimpse of the Father heart of God.
This!!
There is plenty of arguing back and forth and sniping and even enjoyable debate that goes on here...that is expected and OK!
But when someone comes to us holding out his open hands, and we don't treat him like Christ would have....dude...turn around, walk away and go and have a serious 'come to Jesus' conversation with yourself. There is simply no excuse...zero, for a Christian to say those things to another. Even in a case where you think you have a calling to rebuke a brother, you still don't talk in that manner. That's called 'kicking someone while their down' and Jesus had this whole story about a speck and a log for special circumstances just like that.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Have you heard of Teen Challenge? There are centers are over, a faith based program. There are centers for teens and adults and deal with a number of life controlling issues. I went in because of self injury and PTSD from sexual abuse. But they mainly take in people who deal with drug and alcohol addiction. Very powerful ministry. And it was free in Houston.

Reactions: aspen and amadeus

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@aspen do you have anything called Celebrate Recovery in your area? It is allot like AA only, Christ centered. We have it in my and many other churches in my area. It ha helped many and still does.
Celebrate Recovery Homepage

Celebrate Recovery was amazing. I went for a long time after I graduated Teen Challenge and provides a lot of accountability.