ADDING WORKS:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What seems to be obvious is that those that teach a child of God MUST have works to show their faith have hung the statement of James that “faith without works is dead” around the necks of those “IN CHRIST” who believe in Jesus‘ work on the cross.

To these we are just required to keep the law of good works and those works are defined by them with selected verses. Which is better, to be kind to others or to try and get them to see the salvation that Jesus paid for on the cross? Bearing fruit for God isn’t a person glorifying in their own works; but glorifying the work on the cross. We are to witness to faith in Jesus’ work and not our own.

Tell me, which is better, to be kind to others or to help lead them to eternal life? It seems to me that every time a person tries to reach out to God in faith the religious works crowd hangs the requirement of works around their neck.

I am completely aware that a child of God will be lead by the Holy Spirit to do what God wishes for them to do. But that is not what the works crowd wants. They want to determine the works others are to do. Doesn’t matter if those person’s are doing what God wants them to do.

Even though I have shown that James was certainly not writing to those under grace and that he got some things wrong the religious works crowd still cling to their traditions. They will not see that placing their faith in works will not save them and as Paul writes they are under a curse. Why???? Because they trample under foot the “:completed” work of Jesus on the cross.

Heb 10:28-29
28 Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?
NKJV

To me, it seems that, most can tell you about their faith in keeping commandment and picking up their cross of their works but they will not tell about their faith in what Jesus did on the cross. Many of the ones that testify that they have faith in Jesus’ work on the cross are even accused, by the works crowd, of not being saved by given them derogatory labels so they can accuse them of not having a true faith.

But to us who know that faith in what Jesus did on the cross is the only way to please God will never say we earn a place with God BECAUSE of our works. Now the works crowd will say that they are doing that too. If they are doing that too then why do they give statements like easy believism?

According to Paul, when a person adds works to grace they are under a curse. I, personally do not claim any works.. Does that mean I do not do any?? Off course not! It means I place no confidence in my works. If I have any God knows it, not me.

But that is okay, I let others talk about how they keep Jesus’ commandment. But when, and if, they look into their hearts they would know they are not. I think God’s judgment on them for giving a boast in their own works while neglecting to boast in Jesus’ work will not bring a good out come.

But hey, that is just a person’s remarks that have been told that what I believe in is easy believism. So faith in Jesus’ work on the cross is just easy believism. So get out there and do your works.

Reactions: Nancy

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Faith is very profound, and I believe that is why God implemented it as the means towards salvation. That is, like love, it cannot be legislated. There are no rules that prove whether or not you have faith in something, or that you love someone. Whether you buy your better half flowers quarterly, or take them out to dinner monthly, or remember their Birthday, or open the door for them, these acts have no direct bearing on whether you actually love them or not, for each one expresses their devotion in different ways, ...and anyone can even fake these mechanical gestures. But, if you do neglect them, or are impatient with them, or make them feel uncomfortable, then chances are, you don't love them. Faith is the same way.

My point is, there is a difficulty in discerning what someone is actually professing when they are stipulating works as being 'part' of salvation. Because the problem is, either way, they do have a point. For as Paul said, our works do testify to the truth, as far as bringing people's attention to Christ is concerned. When people recognize the affection that a Christian has for another, and the integrity that they exude in dealing with others, it gives a good report about Christ, and compels the outer world to investigate further. Not to mention, it pleases God and is our duty. For, you asked, '...which is better...', for the sake of argument, there are times where they can work hand-in-hand towards the same goal.

But, as you said H.Richard, there is an element of abomination to attempt to re-crucify Christ, or trample him underfoot. And it is for this reason that we strongly denounce the necessity of works in order to receive salvation, and emphatically profess the need to recognize the grace of God through Christ Jesus. For one can find no greater catalyst to do good works, than appreciating what love and mercy that God has bestowed upon us, and thus, how much we owe him.

...did you say that James got some things wrong?

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Faith is very profound, and I believe that is why God implemented it as the means towards salvation. That is, like love, it cannot be legislated. There are no rules that prove whether or not you have faith in something, or that you love someone. Whether you buy your better half flowers quarterly, or take them out to dinner monthly, or remember their Birthday, or open the door for them, these acts have no direct bearing on whether you actually love them or not, for each one expresses their devotion in different ways, ...and anyone can even fake these mechanical gestures. But, if you do neglect them, or are impatient with them, or make them feel uncomfortable, then chances are, you don't love them. Faith is the same way.

My point is, there is a difficulty in discerning what someone is actually professing when they are stipulating works as being 'part' of salvation. Because the problem is, either way, they do have a point. For as Paul said, our works do testify to the truth, as far as bringing people's attention to Christ is concerned. When people recognize the affection that a Christian has for another, and the integrity that they exude in dealing with others, it gives a good report about Christ, and compels the outer world to investigate further. Not to mention, it pleases God and is our duty. For, you asked, '...which is better...', for the sake of argument, there are times where they can work hand-in-hand towards the same goal.

But, as you said H.Richard, there is an element of abomination to attempt to re-crucify Christ, or trample him underfoot. And it is for this reason that we strongly denounce the necessity of works in order to receive salvation, and emphatically profess the need to recognize the grace of God through Christ Jesus. For one can find no greater catalyst to do good works, than appreciating what love and mercy that God has bestowed upon us, and thus, how much we owe him.

Hi, fellow Canuck...

Ephesians 2.8-10...

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"...did you say that James got some things wrong?"
Was wondering the same thing...

Reactions: DNB