Age of Earth/Mankind Bible Study Thread - Sacred Chronology

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not at all. I boast in Jesus Christ, who gives me the knowledge of the truth, for without Him I would know nothing.

But you did not answer my question: -

Now let me question your understanding of chronology and scripture being right in every detail.

Is the following scripture correct: -

Acts 13:20: - 20 "After that He gave them judges for about four hundred and fifty years, until Samuel the prophet.​

with respect to your understanding of scripture?

I would be interested as I believe it is in error with the claim that there was about 450 year between Moses leading Israel and Samuel being a Judge over Israel.

Am I right in believing that this verse is in error with regards to the mentioned 450 years?

Shalom

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...Now let me question your understanding of chronology and scripture being right in every detail.

Is the following scripture correct: -

Acts 13:20: - 20 "After that He gave them judges for about four hundred and fifty years, until Samuel the prophet.​

with respect to your understanding of scripture?

Shalom
I am simply presenting the chronology which exists in scripture, and is therefore, not my 'understanding of chronology'. Yet, the following text:

Act 13:20 And after that he gave unto them judges about the space of four hundred and fifty years, until Samuel the prophet.​

as every text in the King James Bible, is the perfectly preserved word of God (Psalms 12:6-7), for the scripture (KJB) cannot be broken (John 10:35).

In short, Acts 13:20 KJB is correct, for God cannot lie.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am simply presenting the chronology which exists in scripture, and is therefore, not my 'understanding of chronology'. Yet, the following text:

Act 13:20 And after that he gave unto them judges about the space of four hundred and fifty years, until Samuel the prophet.​

as every text in the King James Bible, is the perfectly preserved word of God (Psalms 12:6-7), for the scripture (KJB) cannot be broken (John 10:35).

Thank you for your response. But the written transmitted verse is in error with respect to what has been recorded previously. So if Luke can make a mistake in what he has written, then are your previous arguments valid.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...But the written transmitted verse is in error with respect to what has been recorded previously. So if Luke can make a mistake in what he has written ...
This is the difference between you and I. I believe God's word (in all its words as written; KJB) is as without error as the Living Word Himself, Jesus, is without error. To attempt to find fault with the one, is to attempt to find fault in the other, for both are Divinity and humanity combined. Luke did not make any mistake. Neither the previous writers of scripture before him, such as Moses (Genesis).

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... Hezekiah; reigned 29 years (2 Ki 18:2; 2 Chr 29:1)

AM 3500 - Hezekiah reigns - AM 3529

Side note, Isaiah (Isaiah 1:1; 2 Ki 19:20, 20:1; 2 Chr 32:20.32), Hosea (Hosea 1:1), Micah (Micah 1:1) were prophesying during this time.
Manasseh; reigned 55 years (2 Ki 21:1; 2 Chr 33:1)

AM 3529 - Manasseh reigns - AM 3584

2 Kings 20:21 And Hezekiah slept with his fathers: and Manasseh his son reigned in his stead.

2 Kings 21:1 Manasseh was twelve years old when he began to reign, and reigned fifty and five years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Hephzibah.

2 Chronicles 32:33 And Hezekiah slept with his fathers, and they buried him in the chiefest of the sepulchres of the sons of David: and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem did him honour at his death. And Manasseh his son reigned in his stead.

2 Chronicles 33:1 Manasseh was twelve years old when he began to reign, and he reigned fifty and five years in Jerusalem:​

Amon; reigned 2 years (2 Ki 21:19; 2 Chr 33:21)

AM 3584 - Amon reigns - AM 3586

2 Kings 21:18 And Manasseh slept with his fathers, and was buried in the garden of his own house, in the garden of Uzza: and Amon his son reigned in his stead.

2 Kings 21:19 Amon was twenty and two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned two years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Meshullemeth, the daughter of Haruz of Jotbah.

2 Chronicles 33:20 So Manasseh slept with his fathers, and they buried him in his own house: and Amon his son reigned in his stead.

2 Chronicles 33:21 Amon was two and twenty years old when he began to reign, and reigned two years in Jerusalem.​

Josiah; reigned 31 years (2 Ki 22:1; 2 Chr 34:1)

AM 3586 - Josiah - AM 3617

2 Kings 21:23 And the servants of Amon conspired against him, and slew the king in his own house.

2 Kings 21:24 And the people of the land slew all them that had conspired against king Amon; and the people of the land made Josiah his son king in his stead.

2 Kings 21:26 And he was buried in his sepulchre in the garden of Uzza: and Josiah his son reigned in his stead.

2 Kings 22:1 Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned thirty and one years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Jedidah, the daughter of Adaiah of Boscath.

2 Chronicles 33:25 But the people of the land slew all them that had conspired against king Amon; and the people of the land made Josiah his son king in his stead.

2 Chronicles 34:1 Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem one and thirty years.​

Side note, Jeremiah (Jeremiah 1:1), Zephaniah (Zephaniah 1:1) was prophesying during this time.

Jehoahaz; reigned 3 months (2 Ki 23:31; 2 Chr 36:2)

AM 3617 - Jehoahaz - AM 3617

2 Kings 23:30 And his servants carried him in a chariot dead from Megiddo, and brought him to Jerusalem, and buried him in his own sepulchre. And the people of the land took Jehoahaz the son of Josiah, and anointed him, and made him king in his father's stead.

2 Kings 23:31 Jehoahaz was twenty and three years old when he began to reign; and he reigned three months in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Hamutal, the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah.

2 Kings 23:34 And Pharaohnechoh made Eliakim the son of Josiah king in the room of Josiah his father, and turned his name to Jehoiakim, and took Jehoahaz away: and he came to Egypt, and died there.

2 Chronicles 36:1 Then the people of the land took Jehoahaz the son of Josiah, and made him king in his father's stead in Jerusalem.

2 Chronicles 36:2 Jehoahaz was twenty and three years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months in Jerusalem.

2 Chronicles 36:4 And the king of Egypt made Eliakim his brother king over Judah and Jerusalem, and turned his name to Jehoiakim. And Necho took Jehoahaz his brother, and carried him to Egypt.​

Jehoiakim; reigned 11 years (2 Ki 23:36; 2 Chr 36:5)

AM 3617 - Jehoiakim - AM 3628

2 Kings 23:34 And Pharaohnechoh made Eliakim the son of Josiah king in the room of Josiah his father, and turned his name to Jehoiakim, and took Jehoahaz away: and he came to Egypt, and died there.

2 Kings 23:36 Jehoiakim was twenty and five years old when he began to reign; and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Zebudah, the daughter of Pedaiah of Rumah.

2 Chronicles 36:4 And the king of Egypt made Eliakim his brother king over Judah and Jerusalem, and turned his name to Jehoiakim. And Necho took Jehoahaz his brother, and carried him to Egypt.

2 Chronicles 36:5 Jehoiakim was twenty and five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD his God.

2 Chronicles 36:6 Against him came up Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and bound him in fetters, to carry him to Babylon.​

Side note, Daniel (Daniel 1:1) was captive in Babylon at this time and be in training (Daniel 1:5,18).

Jehoiachin; reigned 3 months + 10 days (thus about 100 days reign) (2 Ki 24:8; 2 Chr 36:9)

AM 3628 - Jehoaichin - AM 3628/9 (3 months with Jehoahaz, and 3 months and 10 days here, allow for rollover, “when the year was expired” (2 Chr 36:10))

2 Kings 24:6 So Jehoiakim slept with his fathers: and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his stead.

2 Kings 24:8 Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem.

2 Kings 24:12 And Jehoiachin the king of Judah went out to the king of Babylon, he, and his mother, and his servants, and his princes, and his officers: and the king of Babylon took him in the eighth year of his reign.

2 Kings 24:15 And he carried away Jehoiachin to Babylon, and the king's mother, and the king's wives, and his officers, and the mighty of the land, those carried he into captivity from Jerusalem to Babylon.

2 Chronicles 36:8 Now the rest of the acts of Jehoiakim, and his abominations which he did, and that which was found in him, behold, they are written in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah: and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his stead.

2 Chronicles 36:9 Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.

2 Chronicles 36:10 And when the year was expired, king Nebuchadnezzar sent, and brought him to Babylon, with the goodly vessels of the house of the LORD, and made Zedekiah his brother king over Judah and Jerusalem.

Jeremiah 13:18 Say unto the king and to the queen, Humble yourselves, sit down: for your principalities shall come down, even the crown of your glory.​

Side note: Ezekiel (Ezekiel 1:1-2) was taken captive and was prophesying during this time and Daniel (Daniel 1:1) would still be in Babylon (Daniel 1:21).

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

This is the difference between you and I. I believe God's word (in all its words as written; KJB) is as without error as the Living Word Himself, Jesus, is without error. To attempt to find fault with the one, is to attempt to find fault in the other, for both are Divinity and humanity combined. Luke did not make any mistake. Neither the previous writers of scripture before him, such as Moses (Genesis).

It would seem that your blind faith in the infallibility of the Scriptures is where your message is being lost.

Let us consider Acts 13:20 and how it ties up with the OT accounts: -

We have 480 years between when The Israelites crossed the Red Sea until Solomon laid the foundation of the Temple that he built.

First off we have Moses' tenure as a judge of Israel for 40 years, which means that there is nor 440 years.

The working from the time of Solomon backwards in time we have the fourth year of Solomon's reign when the foundation was laid, leaving a period of time of 436 years.
Then we have King David's reign of 40 years, which leaves us a time span of 396 years.
David followed a 40 year reign of King Saul which then leaves a time period of 356 years
And Samuel was a judge for 40 years which then leaves a time period of 316 years .

Now the verse in question clearly states that the time period was around 450 years which means that there is a 134 year discrepancy in the 450 years we are told in Acts 13:20.

Now you have claim that there are no errors in what Luke wrote but the chronology of this time line of the OT would suggest otherwise.

Shalom

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now as to your long winded chronology of the Bible, I can get directly from the reign of King Solomon to the time of the final judgement at the end of the Age of the Ages.

The time span from Adam to the end of the age of the ages is 7,168 years and I believe that you are attempting to show that the time period is just 7,000 years in total. The difference in the respective timelines is around 2.4% which is an acceptable error for these calculations.

However, it does fit from the chronological studies I have conducted of the scriptures themselves.

It seems to me that you have just shot yourself in the foot.

Shalom

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would seem that your blind faith in the infallibility of the Scriptures is where your message is being lost.
Faith which is 'blind' is not Biblical faith, and I hold no such faith, but have implicit trust, a living active faith, based upon the previous words of God. Faith to (greater) faith, and the just shall live by faith, not merely have 'i believe, i believe'. Real scriptural faith acts upon thus saith the Lord, believing without doubt, that God is true, and cannot lie, and God stated by inspiration to "preserve" His word, and that His word "cannot be broken".

I know this by past experience, and ultimately by faith, for all things future.

Let us consider
Why bother with the charade? You never intended to "consider" anything with Acts 13:20, but already have your mind made up to doubt it, whereas I have all faith and implicit trust in God's "preserved" word that what it says is without error, even if mankind does not understand how to compute it according to God's reckoning in scripture. The error of such persons is theirs, not God's. God is always right, whether you or I ever believe it so.

Acts 13:20 and how it ties up with the OT accounts:
I saw no references to Judges in your response, and that can hardly can be called "consider[ing]" anything. You merely put forth clouds without substance, an obfuscation game. This thread is about real Bible study and Biblical chronology, not a pulpit for placing doubt in God's word, for that is the job of the serpent, whose position is, "Yea, hath God said?" (iow, Did God really say?, which is your present argument.)

... We have ...
What you have in the references you gave is a mistaken notion, and not even a single reference to Judges itself, which is what Acts 13:20 refers to.

Now the verse in question clearly states that the time period was around 450 years which means that there is a 134 year discrepancy in the 450 years we are told in Acts 13:20.
Again, you have a mistaken notion. The error is yours, not God's, not scripture's. Yet you place your error, upon God, as if He made the mistake through "Luke". You are on very very, yea very, dangerous ground, and warn you with all love, to remove thy shoes from thy feet, for you stand upon the holy ground of God's word.

Now you have claim that there are no errors in what Luke wrote but the chronology of this time line of the OT would suggest otherwise. Shalom
Again, I made no claim. I simply 'Amen[ed]' what God stated (therefore God claimed) by inspiration through Luke and John and others.

8 years servitude to king of Mesopatamia --- Judges 3:8
40 years judgeship of Othniel --- Judges 3:9-11
18 years servitude to Moab --- Judges 3:14
80 years rest under Ehud --- Judges 3:15-30
20 years servitude to Jabin --- Judges 4:1-3
40 years rest under Deborah --- Judges 4:4 - 5:31
7 years bondage under Midian --- Judges 6:1
40 years rest under Gideon --- Judges 6:11-14, 8:28
3 years reign of Abimelech --- Judges 9:1-22
23 years judgeship of Tola --- Judges 10:1-2
22 years judgeship of Jair --- Judges 10:3​

301 years in all
301 years the previous total

18 years period of oppression of Ammon --- Judges 10:8
6 years judgeship of Jephthah --- Judges 12:7
7 years judgeship of Ibzan --- Judges 12:8-9
10 years judgeship of Elon --- Judges 12:10-11
8 years judgeship of Abdon --- Judges 12:12-15
40 years oppression by the Philistines --- Judges 13:1​

It was during the last 20 years of this 40 years of oppression that Samson's judgeship ran (Judges 15:20; 16:30,31)

40 years judgeship of Eli --- 1 Sam. 4:12-18
20 years judgeship of Samuel the prophet, until Israel desired a king. (1 Sam. 8:5) During Samuel's judgeship the Ark remained in Kirjath-Jearim (1 Sam. 7:2)

Act 13:20 And after that he gave unto them judges about the space of four hundred and fifty years, until Samuel the prophet.
450 years in all

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... Jehoiachin; reigned 3 months + 10 days (thus about 100 days reign) (2 Ki 24:8; 2 Chr 36:9)

AM 3628 - Jehoaichin - AM 3628/9 (3 months with Jehoahaz, and 3 months and 10 days here, allow for rollover, “when the year was expired” (2 Chr 36:10))...

Side note: Ezekiel (Ezekiel 1:1-2) was taken captive and was prophesying during this time and Daniel (Daniel 1:1) would still be in Babylon (Daniel 1:21).
Zedekiah; reigned 11 years (2 Ki 24:18; 2 Chr 36:11; Jer 1:3, 52:1)

AM 3629 - Zedekiah - AM 3640

2 Kings 24:15 And he carried away Jehoiachin to Babylon, and the king's mother, and the king's wives, and his officers, and the mighty of the land, those carried he into captivity from Jerusalem to Babylon.

2 Kings 24:16 And all the men of might, even seven thousand, and craftsmen and smiths a thousand, all that were strong and apt for war, even them the king of Babylon brought captive to Babylon.

2 Kings 24:17 And the king of Babylon made Mattaniah his father's brother king in his stead, and changed his name to Zedekiah.

2 Kings 24:18 Zedekiah was twenty and one years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Hamutal, the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah.

2 Kings 25:1 And it came to pass in the ninth year of his reign, in the tenth month, in the tenth day of the month, that Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came, he, and all his host, against Jerusalem, and pitched against it; and they built forts against it round about.

2 Kings 25:2 And the city was besieged unto the eleventh year of king Zedekiah.

2 Kings 25:3 And on the ninth day of the fourth month the famine prevailed in the city, and there was no bread for the people of the land.

2 Kings 25:4 And the city was broken up, and all the men of war fled by night by the way of the gate between two walls, which is by the king's garden: (now the Chaldees were against the city round about:) and the king went the way toward the plain.

2 Kings 25:5 And the army of the Chaldees pursued after the king, and overtook him in the plains of Jericho: and all his army were scattered from him.

2 Kings 25:6 So they took the king, and brought him up to the king of Babylon to Riblah; and they gave judgment upon him.

2 Kings 25:7 And they slew the sons of Zedekiah before his eyes, and put out the eyes of Zedekiah, and bound him with fetters of brass, and carried him to Babylon.

2 Kings 25:8 And in the fifth month, on the seventh day of the month, which is the nineteenth year of king Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, came Nebuzaradan, captain of the guard, a servant of the king of Babylon, unto Jerusalem:

2 Kings 25:9 And he burnt the house of the LORD, and the king's house, and all the houses of Jerusalem, and every great man's house burnt he with fire.

2 Kings 25:10 And all the army of the Chaldees, that were with the captain of the guard, brake down the walls of Jerusalem round about.

2 Kings 25:27 And it came to pass in the seven and thirtieth year of the captivity of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the twelfth month, on the seven and twentieth day of the month, that Evilmerodach king of Babylon in the year that he began to reign did lift up the head of Jehoiachin king of Judah out of prison;

2 Chronicles 36:9 Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.

2 Chronicles 36:10 And when the year was expired, king Nebuchadnezzar sent, and brought him to Babylon, with the goodly vessels of the house of the LORD, and made Zedekiah his brother king over Judah and Jerusalem.

2 Chronicles 36:11 Zedekiah was one and twenty years old when he began to reign, and reigned eleven years in Jerusalem.

2 Chronicles 36:17 Therefore he brought upon them the king of the Chaldees, who slew their young men with the sword in the house of their sanctuary, and had no compassion upon young man or maiden, old man, or him that stooped for age: he gave them all into his hand.

2 Chronicles 36:18 And all the vessels of the house of God, great and small, and the treasures of the house of the LORD, and the treasures of the king, and of his princes; all these he brought to Babylon.

2 Chronicles 36:19 And they burnt the house of God, and brake down the wall of Jerusalem, and burnt all the palaces thereof with fire, and destroyed all the goodly vessels thereof.

2 Chronicles 36:20 And them that had escaped from the sword carried he away to Babylon; where they were servants to him and his sons until the reign of the kingdom of Persia:

2 Chronicles 36:21 To fulfil the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed her sabbaths: for as long as she lay desolate she kept sabbath, to fulfil threescore and ten years.​

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zedekiah; reigned 11 years (2 Ki 24:18; 2 Chr 36:11; Jer 1:3, 52:1)

AM 3629 - Zedekiah - AM 3640 ...
Zedekiah (continued)

Jeremiah 1:1 The words of Jeremiah the son of Hilkiah, of the priests that were in Anathoth in the land of Benjamin:

Jeremiah 1:2 To whom the word of the LORD came in the days of Josiah the son of Amon king of Judah, in the thirteenth year of his reign.

Jeremiah 1:3 It came also in the days of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, unto the end of the eleventh year of Zedekiah the son of Josiah king of Judah, unto the carrying away of Jerusalem captive in the fifth month.

Jeremiah 32:1 The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD in the tenth year of Zedekiah king of Judah, which was the eighteenth year of Nebuchadrezzar.

Jeremiah 39:1 In the ninth year of Zedekiah king of Judah, in the tenth month, came Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon and all his army against Jerusalem, and they besieged it.

Jeremiah 39:2 And in the eleventh year of Zedekiah, in the fourth month, the ninth day of the month, the city was broken up.

Jeremiah 39:3 And all the princes of the king of Babylon came in, and sat in the middle gate, even Nergalsharezer, Samgarnebo, Sarsechim, Rabsaris, Nergalsharezer, Rabmag, with all the residue of the princes of the king of Babylon.

Jeremiah 39:4 And it came to pass, that when Zedekiah the king of Judah saw them, and all the men of war, then they fled, and went forth out of the city by night, by the way of the king's garden, by the gate betwixt the two walls: and he went out the way of the plain.

Jeremiah 39:5 But the Chaldeans' army pursued after them, and overtook Zedekiah in the plains of Jericho: and when they had taken him, they brought him up to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon to Riblah in the land of Hamath, where he gave judgment upon him.

Jeremiah 39:6 Then the king of Babylon slew the sons of Zedekiah in Riblah before his eyes: also the king of Babylon slew all the nobles of Judah.

Jeremiah 39:7 Moreover he put out Zedekiah's eyes, and bound him with chains, to carry him to Babylon.

Jeremiah 39:8 And the Chaldeans burned the king's house, and the houses of the people, with fire, and brake down the walls of Jerusalem.

Jeremiah 52:1 Zedekiah was one and twenty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Hamutal the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah.

Jeremiah 52:2 And he did that which was evil in the eyes of the LORD, according to all that Jehoiakim had done.

Jeremiah 52:3 For through the anger of the LORD it came to pass in Jerusalem and Judah, till he had cast them out from his presence, that Zedekiah rebelled against the king of Babylon.

Jeremiah 52:4 And it came to pass in the ninth year of his reign, in the tenth month, in the tenth day of the month, that Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon came, he and all his army, against Jerusalem, and pitched against it, and built forts against it round about.

Jeremiah 52:5 So the city was besieged unto the eleventh year of king Zedekiah.

Jeremiah 52:6 And in the fourth month, in the ninth day of the month, the famine was sore in the city, so that there was no bread for the people of the land.

Jeremiah 52:7 Then the city was broken up, and all the men of war fled, and went forth out of the city by night by the way of the gate between the two walls, which was by the king's garden; (now the Chaldeans were by the city round about:) and they went by the way of the plain.

Jeremiah 52:8 But the army of the Chaldeans pursued after the king, and overtook Zedekiah in the plains of Jericho; and all his army was scattered from him.

Jeremiah 52:9 Then they took the king, and carried him up unto the king of Babylon to Riblah in the land of Hamath; where he gave judgment upon him.

Jeremiah 52:10 And the king of Babylon slew the sons of Zedekiah before his eyes: he slew also all the princes of Judah in Riblah.

Jeremiah 52:11 Then he put out the eyes of Zedekiah; and the king of Babylon bound him in chains, and carried him to Babylon, and put him in prison till the day of his death.

Jeremiah 52:12 Now in the fifth month, in the tenth day of the month, which was the nineteenth year of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, came Nebuzaradan, captain of the guard, which served the king of Babylon, into Jerusalem,

Jeremiah 52:13 And burned the house of the LORD, and the king's house; and all the houses of Jerusalem, and all the houses of the great men, burned he with fire:

Jeremiah 52:14 And all the army of the Chaldeans, that were with the captain of the guard, brake down all the walls of Jerusalem round about.

Jeremiah 52:29 In the eighteenth year of Nebuchadrezzar he carried away captive from Jerusalem eight hundred thirty and two persons:

Jeremiah 52:30 In the three and twentieth year of Nebuchadrezzar Nebuzaradan the captain of the guard carried away captive of the Jews seven hundred forty and five persons: all the persons were four thousand and six hundred.

Jeremiah 52:31 And it came to pass in the seven and thirtieth year of the captivity of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the twelfth month, in the five and twentieth day of the month, that Evilmerodach king of Babylon in the first year of his reign lifted up the head of Jehoiachin king of Judah, and brought him forth out of prison,

Ezekiel 12:13 My net also will I spread upon him, and he shall be taken in my snare: and I will bring him to Babylon to the land of the Chaldeans; yet shall he not see it, though he shall die there.

Daniel 1:1 In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon unto Jerusalem, and besieged it.

Jeremiah 25:1 The word that came to Jeremiah concerning all the people of Judah in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, that was the first year of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon;

Jeremiah 25:3 From the thirteenth year of Josiah the son of Amon king of Judah, even unto this day, that is the three and twentieth year, the word of the LORD hath come unto me, and I have spoken unto you, rising early and speaking; but ye have not hearkened.

Jeremiah 46:2 Against Egypt, against the army of Pharaohnecho king of Egypt, which was by the river Euphrates in Carchemish, which Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon smote in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah.​

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is nothing like reinventing the wheel is there.

Archbishop Usher, Issacc Newton etc etc have all calculated the age of the earh.

Currently you can go to AIG or creation.com for articles etc on the age of the earth.

Do you have a reason for posting thgis information?

Usher never chronicled the age of earth, only Adam and his descendants.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I saw no references to Judges in your response, and that can hardly can be called "consider[ing]" anything. You merely put forth clouds without substance, an obfuscation game. This thread is about real Bible study and Biblical chronology, not a pulpit for placing doubt in God's word, for that is the job of the serpent, whose position is, "Yea, hath God said?" (iow, Did God really say?, which is your present argument.)

If as you say I should have included the Book of Judges in my justification of there being an error in Acts 13:20, then the same argument can be used against the "SDA study," you are presenting in your posts, of the chronology of the Bible. Why did the SDA document ignore the chronology of the listed time periods in the Book of Judges? Was it because of the misunderstanding of the chronology of the Judges and the stories as presented in the Book of Judges would have created a discontinuity in your chronological timeline of around 230 years with respect to I kings 6:1 where we are told that there was 480 years between when Israel came out of Egypt and the foundation of the Temple was laid.

I do know how to resolve this issue of the Chronology of the Book of Judges. This is how I resolved this issue. What is recorded in the Book of Judges are three parallel storylines that overlap each other without exceeding the 220 years of the longest parallel storyline. If we add all of the time periods mentioned in the Book of judges with respect to the judges and the periods where Israel was being oppressed because of their turning away from God, then the total of this time period would be around 450 years as is recorded in Acts 13:20, but We also have the length of Eli's time of being a judge to add to this time period if we are to comply with the period of time being referenced in Acts 13:20.

What you have in the references you gave is a mistaken notion, and not even a single reference to Judges itself, which is what Acts 13:20 refers to.

This charge is also the issue I have with the SDA Bible Study you are posting on this forum. The study makes no reference to the Book of Judges in establishing its chronology. You cannot make that accusation against me when the SDA Bible study also does no include the Book of Judges in its presentation of the "facts" as you refer to them.

Again, you have a mistaken notion. The error is yours, not God's, not scripture's. Yet you place your error, upon God, as if He made the mistake through "Luke". You are on very very, yea very, dangerous ground, and warn you with all love, to remove thy shoes from thy feet, for you stand upon the holy ground of God's word.

If your charge is that I have placed this error upon God, then you are very, very mistaken.

The SDA Study, you are presenting in your posts, also has made the same types of errors as is recorded in Acts 13:20 through the author's recorded interpretations of the Bible Story.

Now, you are telling me to remove my shoes, which I only wear occasionally :rolleyes:, because I am on the Holy Ground of God's word, which, it seems, is the same charge that can be made against the author of the SDA's published study and you for also presenting this same flawed material on this forum as if the study is infallible.

Your rebuttals have been nothing but smoke and mirrors to hide the truth about the flawed claims that have been made in the SDA's bible study.

Please be honest with the members of this forum. They can reason the truth and come to their own conclusions about your posts.

Remember lies are best told when they are wrapped around some biblical truths. That is what Satan does.

Shalom

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... Jeremiah 46:2 Against Egypt, against the army of Pharaohnecho king of Egypt, which was by the river Euphrates in Carchemish, which Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon smote in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah.
The 13th year of Josiah (AM 3599) unto the 1st year of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 25:1, 46:2; AM 3617 - Jehoiakim + 4 (Jer 25:1) = AM 3621) is 23 years (Jer 25:3), inclusive reckoning (AM 3586 - Josiah + 13 (Jer 25:3) = AM 3599; thus AM 3599 (1) + 22 = 23 years; Jer 25:3; AM 3621))

AM 3586 - Josiah - AM 3617 (13th year is AM 3599)

AM 3617 - Jehoiakim - AM 3628 (4th year is AM 3621, is 23 years inclusive (Jer 25:3), 1st year of Nebuchadnezzar; Jer 25:1, 46:2; Jehoiakim is 36 years old when taken captive (2 Chr 36:6) in AM 3628)

AM 3628 - Jehoaichin - AM 3628/9 (is the 8th year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign (2 Chr 24:12, 36:9-10; 2 Ki 24:8; Jer 24:1, 29:2; Eze 17:12))

AM 3629 - Zedekiah - AM 3640 (9th year is AM 3638, is the 17th year of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 39:1, 52:5), thus AM 3621 – AM 3638 = 17 years)

The 4th year of Jehoiakim (AM 3621) is the 1st year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 25:1, 46:2), which is the year that Nebuchadnezzar II fought at the battle of Carchemish against the Egyptians and Pharaoh Necho II, and won.

The 1st year of the captivity of Jehoiachin (2 Chr 24:12, 36:9-10 (lit. 'a son of 8 years, under Nebuchadnezzar's reign'); 2 Ki 24:8 (Jehoiachin was 18 years of age in the 8th year of Nebuchadnezar's reign)) Jer 24:1, 29:2; Eze 17:12; AM 3629) is the 8th year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar.

The 5th year of the captivity of Jehoiachin (Eze 1:2; AM 3634) is in the 30th year, 4th month, 5th day (Eze 1:1; 30 years prior = AM 3604, middle of Josiah's reign AM 3586 - AM 3617, or the 18th year of Josiah's reign to be precise, the finding of the Law, the restoration of the Temple, and his covenant to God, see 2 Ki 22:3, 23:23; 2 Chr 34:8,31, 35:1-19).

The 9th year (10th month, 10th day) (Jer 52:4; AM 3638) of the reign of Zedekiah is the 17th year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar, who at that time besieged the city of Jerusalem (Jer 39:1, 52:5), for two years ((9th) 80 + (10th) 360 + (11th) 99 = circa 539 days (30 day months)), unto the 11th year (4th month; 9th day) (Jer 39:2, 52:5-7).

The 10th year (AM 3639) of the reign of Zedekiah is the 18th year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 32:1), 832 persons of Jerusalem were carried captive to Babylon (Jer 52:29).

The 11th year (AM 3640) of the reign of Zedekiah is the 19th year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar (2 Ki 25:2-8), (5th month, 10th day) (Jer 52:12), in which Zedekiah is blinded (2 Ki 25:7; Jer 39:7, 52:10-11; Eze 12:13) and taken captive.

In the 23rd year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 52:30; AM 3644), more persons, 745 Jews, are carried away captive to Babylon, all together 4,600 persons captive.

The 1st year of Evilmerodach was the 37th year of the captivity of Jehoiachin (Eze 1:2; AM 3634 (5th) + 32 = AM 3666), in the 12th month, 25th day (Jer 52:31; issued the orders to have him come “out of prison”), 27th day (2 Ki 25:27; orders actually carried out, and he comes out of prison, “did lift up the head … out of prison”), and Zedekiah was 21 years old when Jehoiachin was taken captive (2 Ki 24:18), which would make Zedekiah 58 years old in the first year of Evilmerodach if he was even still alive.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 13th year of Josiah (AM 3599) unto the 1st year of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 25:1, 46:2; AM 3617 - Jehoiakim + 4 (Jer 25:1) = AM 3621) is 23 years (Jer 25:3), inclusive reckoning (AM 3586 - Josiah + 13 (Jer 25:3) = AM 3599; thus AM 3599 (1) + 22 = 23 years; Jer 25:3; AM 3621))

AM 3586 - Josiah - AM 3617 (13th year is AM 3599)

AM 3617 - Jehoiakim - AM 3628 (4th year is AM 3621, is 23 years inclusive (Jer 25:3), 1st year of Nebuchadnezzar; Jer 25:1, 46:2; Jehoiakim is 36 years old when taken captive (2 Chr 36:6) in AM 3628)

AM 3628 - Jehoaichin - AM 3628/9 (is the 8th year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign (2 Chr 24:12, 36:9-10; 2 Ki 24:8; Jer 24:1, 29:2; Eze 17:12))

AM 3629 - Zedekiah - AM 3640 (9th year is AM 3638, is the 17th year of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 39:1, 52:5), thus AM 3621 – AM 3638 = 17 years)

Now, let's see if we can confirm with what was given in Ezekiel:

Ezekiel 4:4 Lie thou also upon thy left side, and lay the iniquity of the house of Israel upon it: according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon it thou shalt bear their iniquity.

Ezekiel 4:5 For I have laid upon thee the years of their iniquity, according to the number of the days, three hundred and ninety days: so shalt thou bear the iniquity of the house of Israel.

Ezekiel 4:6 And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year.​

The iniquity of Israel (northern) was 390 years.

The iniquity of Judah (southern) was 40 years.

The total iniquitous years (combined) was 430 years.

Ezekiel spends 390 days on his one side (a little over a year, 360 + 30, or one year, one month), and this began in the 5th year, 4th month, 5th day, of Jehoiachin's captivity (Eze 1:1-2; AM 3634), and would thus end in the 6th year, 5th month, 5th day of Jehoiachin's captivity; AM 3635.

Ezekiel's additional 40 days (30 + 10; or a month and 10 days) for Judah, would come to it's end in the 6th year, 6th month, 15th day of Jehoiachin's captivity; AM 3635.

AM 3245 - Rehoboam's reign - AM 3262

Jeroboam had first set up two idols, one at Bethel (southern border of Israel), and the other at Dan (northern border of Israel) (1 Ki 12:28-30; 2 Ki 10:29, 17:16; 2 Chr 11:15; Hos 4:15, 8:4-7, 10:5-6; Amo 8:14), and then after a time offered on the altar he had made in the 1st year of Rehoboam's reign (AM 3245), in the 8th month, 15th day (1 Ki 12:32-33; AM 3245) which was a month (30 days) later, as a counterfeit or substitute, to the feast of Tabernacles/Booths/Ingathering, which always took place in the 7th month, 15th day (Lev 23:39), in Jerusalem.

AM 3245 (Jeroboam's sin) + 390 years = AM 3635, precisely the time of the end of Ezekiel's 390 day sleeping on the one side.

1 Kings 12:26 And Jeroboam said in his heart, Now shall the kingdom return to the house of David:

1 Kings 12:27 If this people go up to do sacrifice in the house of the LORD at Jerusalem, then shall the heart of this people turn again unto their lord, even unto Rehoboam king of Judah, and they shall kill me, and go again to Rehoboam king of Judah.

1 Kings 12:28 Whereupon the king took counsel, and made two calves of gold, and said unto them, It is too much for you to go up to Jerusalem: behold thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

1 Kings 12:29 And he set the one in Bethel, and the other put he in Dan.

1 Kings 12:30 And this thing became a sin: for the people went to worship before the one, even unto Dan.

1 Kings 14:16 And he shall give Israel up because of the sins of Jeroboam, who did sin, and who made Israel to sin.

1 Kings 15:26 And he did evil in the sight of the LORD, and walked in the way of his father, and in his sin wherewith he made Israel to sin.

1 Kings 15:30 Because of the sins of Jeroboam which he sinned, and which he made Israel sin, by his provocation wherewith he provoked the LORD God of Israel to anger.

1 Kings 15:34 And he did evil in the sight of the LORD, and walked in the way of Jeroboam, and in his sin wherewith he made Israel to sin.

1 Kings 16:2 Forasmuch as I exalted thee out of the dust, and made thee prince over my people Israel; and thou hast walked in the way of Jeroboam, and hast made my people Israel to sin, to provoke me to anger with their sins;

1 Kings 16:19 For his sins which he sinned in doing evil in the sight of the LORD, in walking in the way of Jeroboam, and in his sin which he did, to make Israel to sin.

1 Kings 16:26 For he walked in all the way of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, and in his sin wherewith he made Israel to sin, to provoke the LORD God of Israel to anger with their vanities.

1 Kings 16:31 And it came to pass, as if it had been a light thing for him to walk in the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, that he took to wife Jezebel the daughter of Ethbaal king of the Zidonians, and went and served Baal, and worshipped him.

1 Kings 21:22 And will make thine house like the house of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, and like the house of Baasha the son of Ahijah, for the provocation wherewith thou hast provoked me to anger, and made Israel to sin.

1 Kings 22:52 And he did evil in the sight of the LORD, and walked in the way of his father, and in the way of his mother, and in the way of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin:

2 Kings 3:3 Nevertheless he cleaved unto the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, which made Israel to sin; he departed not therefrom.

2 Kings 10:29 Howbeit from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin, Jehu departed not from after them, to wit, the golden calves that were in Bethel, and that were in Dan.

2 Kings 10:31 But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the LORD God of Israel with all his heart: for he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam, which made Israel to sin.

2 Kings 13:2 And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD, and followed the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, which made Israel to sin; he departed not therefrom.

2 Kings 13:6 Nevertheless they departed not from the sins of the house of Jeroboam, who made Israel sin, but walked therein: and there remained the grove also in Samaria.)

2 Kings 13:11 And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD; he departed not from all the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel sin: but he walked therein.

2 Kings 14:24 And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD: he departed not from all the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin.

2 Kings 15:9 And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD, as his fathers had done: he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin.

2 Kings 15:18 And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD: he departed not all his days from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin.

2 Kings 15:24 And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD: he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin.

2 Kings 15:28 And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD: he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin.

2 Kings 17:21 For he rent Israel from the house of David; and they made Jeroboam the son of Nebat king: and Jeroboam drave Israel from following the LORD, and made them sin a great sin.

2 Kings 17:22 For the children of Israel walked in all the sins of Jeroboam which he did; they departed not from them;​

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Usher never chronicled the age of earth, only Adam and his descendants.
In a manner yes and no. Ussher, did not make distinction between the Age of humanity and the Age of the Creation of the earth, as Ussher believed in 6 days of creation as standard 24 hr consecutive days, and would therefore, place the Creation of the earth as just 5 days previous to Adam's creation. Most chronologists, as Ussher, that I have studied, would basically teach the same thing, for in calculating the one, the other is generally assumed as such.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...This charge is also the issue I have with the SDA Bible Study you are posting on this forum. The study makes no reference to the Book of Judges in establishing its chronology....
It didn't need to. 1 Kings 6:1 was enough, along with the other texts already cited. The study did not need to go into the nooks and crannies of Judges (etc), but took the over-arching times given in scripture (iow a simplified Chronology), yet those nooks and crannies are included within the summation, as just shown you, all in harmony, everything accounted for (by God), nothing in 'error' (as you incorrectly believe).

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...I do know how to resolve this issue of the Chronology of the Book of Judges. This is how I resolved this issue. What is recorded in the Book of Judges are three parallel storylines that overlap each other without exceeding the 220 years of the longest parallel storyline. ...
Simply amazing is the marvelous condition you are in, for I cited scripture, and you cited 'you':

Again, I made no claim. I simply 'Amen[ed]' what God stated (therefore God claimed) by inspiration through Luke and John and others.

8 years servitude to king of Mesopatamia --- Judges 3:8
40 years judgeship of Othniel --- Judges 3:9-11
18 years servitude to Moab --- Judges 3:14
80 years rest under Ehud --- Judges 3:15-30
20 years servitude to Jabin --- Judges 4:1-3
40 years rest under Deborah --- Judges 4:4 - 5:31
7 years bondage under Midian --- Judges 6:1
40 years rest under Gideon --- Judges 6:11-14, 8:28
3 years reign of Abimelech --- Judges 9:1-22
23 years judgeship of Tola --- Judges 10:1-2
22 years judgeship of Jair --- Judges 10:3
301 years in all
301 years the previous total

18 years period of oppression of Ammon --- Judges 10:8
6 years judgeship of Jephthah --- Judges 12:7
7 years judgeship of Ibzan --- Judges 12:8-9
10 years judgeship of Elon --- Judges 12:10-11
8 years judgeship of Abdon --- Judges 12:12-15
40 years oppression by the Philistines --- Judges 13:1
It was during the last 20 years of this 40 years of oppression that Samson's judgeship ran (Judges 15:20; 16:30,31)

40 years judgeship of Eli --- 1 Sam. 4:12-18
20 years judgeship of Samuel the prophet, until Israel desired a king. (1 Sam. 8:5) During Samuel's judgeship the Ark remained in Kirjath-Jearim (1 Sam. 7:2)

Act 13:20 And after that he gave unto them judges about the space of four hundred and fifty years, until Samuel the prophet.
450 years in all
and yet for all this still, you refuse to see how 'you' and scripture (cited) are not reconciled. You have accepted man-made dates and machinations (220, etc) and try to work them into the text. I need do no such thing, as scripture is not in error, cannot ever be, and aligns perfectly with itself without such manipulations from men, yet you will revolt more and more.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, let's see if we can confirm with what was given in Ezekiel: ...
Double checking:

AM 3205 - Solomon's reign - AM 3245 = 40 years

AM 3245 - Rehoboam's reign - AM 3262 = 17 years

AM 3262 - Abijah's reign - AM 3265 = 3 years

AM 3265 - Asa reigned - AM 3306 = 41 years

AM 3306 - Jehoshaphat reigned - AM 3331 = 25 years

AM 3331 - Jehoram reigned - AM 3339 = 8 years

AM 3339 - Ahaziah reigned - AM 3340 = 1 year

AM 3340 - Athaliah reigns - AM 3346/7 = 6 years

AM 3347 - Joash reigns - AM 3387 = 40 years

AM 3387 - Amaziah reigns - AM 3416 = 29 years

AM 3416 - Uzziah reigns - AM 3468 = 52 years

AM 3468 - Jotham reigns - AM 3484 = 16 years

AM 3484 - Ahaz reigns - AM 3500 = 16 years

AM 3500 - Hezekiah reigns - AM 3529 = 29 years

AM 3529 - Manasseh reigns - AM 3584 = 55 years

AM 3584 - Amon reigns - AM 3586 = 2 years

AM 3586 - Josiah - AM 3617 = 31 years

AM 3617 - Jehoahaz - AM 3617 = 3 months

AM 3617 - Jehoiakim - AM 3628 = 11 years

AM 3628 - Jehoaichin - AM 3628/9 = 3 months & 10 days

AM 3629 - Zedekiah - AM 3640 = 11 years

AM 3205 – Judah Kings to Jehoiachin – AM 3629 = 424 years (inclusive reckoning)

AM 3205 – Judah Kings to Zedekiah – AM 3640 = 435 years (inclusive reckoning)

Solomon began building the Temple in the 4th year of his reign (1 Ki 6:1; AM 3209), we can then subtract 4 years from the total, 424 – 4 = 420 years to the end of Jehoioachin's reign (AM 3629), and the beginning of Zedekiah's reign.

Ezekiel spends 390 days on his one side (a little over a year, 360 + 30, or one year, one month), and this began in the 5th year, 4th month, 5th day, of Jehoiachin's captivity (Eze 1:1-2; AM 3634), and would thus end in the 6th year, 5th month, 5th day of Jehoiachin's captivity; AM 3635, and so, we can add 6 years to the new total of 420; 420 + 6 = 426 years.

We can then take the 426 years from the beginning of the building of the Temple (AM 3209), to the end of Ezekiel's laying on his one side for the sins of Israel (AM 3635), for Jeroboam, and subtract the 390 years; 426 – 390 = 36 years.

Solomon began building the Temple in the 4th year of his reign (1 Ki 6:1; AM 3209); and Jeroboam set up the idols at Bethel and Dan in the year of Solomon's death (1 Ki 12:28-30; 2 Ki 10:29, 17:16; 2 Chr 11:15; Hos 4:15, 8:4-7, 10:5-6; Amo 8:14; AM 3245), or precisely 36 years later (AM 3209AM 3245 = 36 years).