all righteousness is from Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some wonder what the difference is between the righteousness of the non-Christian world and the righteousness of the Christian world? Some even believe that the pagan world cannot have any righteousness at all, since it is compromised by self-interest. And some believe that even Christians have no righteousness of their own, that they are mere "worms," who Christ expresses his righteousness through. What is the truth?

Well, I can give you my bit. I believe that all righteousness comes from Christ, whether expressed in the non-Christian world or in the Church itself. What sets the non-Christian world apart from the Church are a number of things. But I can say this much.

One, the world simply partakes of righteousness when it is of personal interest. As such, the righteousness is real, the love is real, but it is contaminated by self-interest, as well. It is also compromised by a lack of consistency, choosing one time to be righteous and another time to manufacture a false righteousness, or just to flat out sin.

Two, the Church is a "worm," and separate from Christ's righteousness, only after a major sin has been committed. The person "feels" as if he or she is a worm, having forsaken the Lord for a time.

But in reality, God does not forsake His own, even when they fall, as long as they seek to return to Him. All sin can be forgiven. Righteousness can be restored. And the conscience can be assuaged.

It is still clear that even a restored Christian can exhibit an "on again off again" righteousness, and can, like the world, exhibit righteousness for selfish purposes. But an obedient Christian is one that chooses to *live in* righteousness, and not just pick and choose every day. The mature Christian learns consistency in demonstrating righteousness.

The theology of our righteousness is something else. Even stating "our righteousness" brings horror to some Christians. To state that our righteousness has any role in our Salvation also brings instant rebuke. But a lot of this is terminology. As long as we couch our words in a proper context then the words can remain free of misuse and misinterpretation.

One, our works could not earn us Salvation. And two, whatever righteousness we do exhibit does not mean it is strictly "ours," and exclusive of Christ himself. All righteousness comes, I believe, from Christ, whether the person contaminates and taints it or not.

But many people in the Church have grown accustomed to the Protestant language of Luther, who denied any role of our works in our Salvation. Of course that's true, and Paul taught that as well.

But this language sometimes fails to see that in denying our works a role in our Salvation they are actually referencing the Scriptures where they admit that it is our "record" that excludes us from Heaven. It is not at all saying that the Christian has no righteousness in himself or herself. It is only stating the fact that any sin, and any contamination at all, can exclude one from Heaven.

So it isn't by our "record" of righteousness that we obtain Salvation. Rather, it is by the perfect record of Christ that he is able to grant us forgiveness and not have his priestly functions invalidated by his own personal sin.

And because Christ can indeed forgive us, and confirm that forgiveness by sharing his own qualitative righteousness with us, it is an indication that our righteousness belongs to him and can bear the stamp of his forgiveness. It's just that forgiveness for eternal life, or Salvation, is contingent upon our receiving his Spirit and his righteousness within us as a permanent habitation.

It is critical, I believe, to recognize the importance of having our own righteousness, received from Christ, which he imparts to us when we follow his teaching. Even more, it is important to make him Lord and Savior by committing to follow him and his righteousness *always.*

This is the Christian sense of our receiving Eternal Life, which is inferred when we make New Covenant agreement with Christ by committing ourselves to his lordship, and in return, receiving his eternal dwelling within us. This is the reciprocal agreement, to give the Lord our heart, and he in turn to give us his Spirit and life.

This internalization of him and his Spirit is what gives us a righteousness stamped with and bearing his own spotless record. And it indicates that we are saved forever.

As such, we *should* exhibit righteousness all the time, even if with our foibles and imperfections. If we are obeying him, then it should be obvious that we are righteous just as he is righteous.

1 John 3.7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the Christian sense of our receiving Eternal Life, which is inferred when we make New Covenant agreement with Christ by committing ourselves to his lordship, and in return, receiving his eternal dwelling within us. This is the reciprocal agreement, to give the Lord our heart, and he in turn to give us his Spirit and life.

Sorry, but “ ALL of our “ Righteousness” is like Filthy Rags”....... there is NO GOOD in any of us......” Without Me , you can do NOTHING” is what Jesus said.....we do not “ commit ourselves to His Lordship”.....all we have to do is to BELIEVE the Gospel Of 1Cor 15 :1-4......That Gospel has nothing to do with what “ WE” do for God ......the Gospel is all about what God has done for man.....

Of course , there is Nothing wrong with “ giving your heart” to Jesus.....I did it a long time ago.....Just don’t get the mistaken idea that that is how one gets his “ Eternal Dwelling” within us.....You get that by simply Believing that Jesus was Who He said He was—- God’s Son and Your Savior.....

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sorry, but “ ALL of our “ Righteousness” is like Filthy Rags”....... there is NO GOOD in any of us......” Without Me , you can do NOTHING” is what Jesus said.....we do not “ commit ourselves to His Lordship”.....all we have to do is to BELIEVE the Gospel Of 1Cor 15 :1-4......That Gospel has nothing to do with what “ WE” do for God ......the Gospel is all about what God has done for man.....

Of course , there is Nothing wrong with “ giving your heart” to Jesus.....I did it a long time ago.....Just don’t get the mistaken idea that that is how one gets his “ Eternal Dwelling” within us.....You get that by simply Believing that Jesus was Who He said He was—- God’s Son and Your Savior.....

Actually, this is the response I expected and the reason I wrote this treatment of "righteousness." As you will note, I ended the post with a reference to 1 John, where we are told that *we* must be righteous--not just *Christ.* So, his righteousness somehow is transferred to us.

What that means is that not "all our righteousness is as filthy rags" as you put it. (I do realize Paul wrote this.) Paul's point was a hyperbole--if Israel had arrived at the point where all of the observance of the Law was cloaked in violence and in immorality, making their "righteousness" no better than "filthy rags," then nobody can, by the Law, achieve Eternal Life.

And that was my point. We cannot obtain Eternal Life by our righteousness alone, but by receiving Christ's "record of righteousness," which is indeed received by us when we receive Christ in our heart. We receive him *in our heart* because that means we intend to "keep him," and not let him "get away." We own him with our hearts forever and choose him from henceforth to be our only lord and master.

It is not that all our righteousness as a Christian is as "filthy rags," but that just like the "filthy rags" of a disobedient Christian so any sin in the life of the greatest saint will prohibit him from obtaining Heaven if Christ is not received wholly in the heart. A complete choice to follow Christ and his righteousness must be made in order to obtain the benefits of his redemption and forgiveness.

It is then that our righteousness is acceptable and *not* like filthy rags. Those filthy rags becomes robes white like linen, speaking of the righteousness of the saints, the very righteousness of Christ himself.

When Paul was speaking of a "righteousness like filthy rags," he was not speaking of genuine righteousness, but rather, of feigned righteousness, produced by covering over personal evil with a barrage of religious observances and so-called "good works." In other words, it wasn't really "righteousness!"

I grew up a Lutheran and was confirmed as a Lutheran. And in my adolescence I backslid while continuing to attend church and repent of my sins every Sunday--for real. What a joke.

Later, when I committed my life wholly to Christ, and completely surrendered the influence of the culture in my life, I seriously questioned "justification by faith." It's not that I didn't believe the Bible or Luther, but that something in the equation seemed to be missing.

Religious expressions of faith and repentance really have no value as long as I continue on a pattern of sinful living. Faith is more than religious exercises, and more than intellectual assent to a doctrine--it is faith in a Christ who is righteous, and who requires us to repent in order to obtain righteousness that saves through him.

That is how I can call it "our righteousness." Again, that is precisely what the Apostle John said: we must be righteous as he is righteous. That means his righteousness must become *ours.*

This song expresses it well:

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some wonder what the difference is between the righteousness of the non-Christian world and the righteousness of the Christian world? Some even believe that the pagan world cannot have any righteousness at all, since it is compromised by self-interest. And some believe that even Christians have no righteousness of their own, that they are mere "worms," who Christ expresses his righteousness through. What is the truth?

Well, I can give you my bit. I believe that all righteousness comes from Christ, whether expressed in the non-Christian world or in the Church itself. What sets the non-Christian world apart from the Church are a number of things. But I can say this much.
When I think of righteousness, I think in terms of what is right, what is fitting, or proper, or appropriate, etc. I like what you are saying here, and I wonder if you would agree with this? From my perspective, Jesus Christ is the epitome of righteousness. He is our standard, he is the exemplar of all righteousness such that he stands as the one whom we should follow and emulate.

One, the world simply partakes of righteousness when it is of personal interest. As such, the righteousness is real, the love is real, but it is contaminated by self-interest, as well. It is also compromised by a lack of consistency, choosing one time to be righteous and another time to manufacture a false righteousness, or just to flat out sin.
Your statement here is filled with insight, in my opinion. I can think of a particular systematic theology that would say man can never be good or do anything good at all. But, as you rightly point out, man is fully capable of doing good things. We are evil because we aren't consistent. At times we can be corrupted, or double-minded.

Two, the Church is a "worm," and separate from Christ's righteousness, only after a major sin has been committed. The person "feels" as if he or she is a worm, having forsaken the Lord for a time.

But in reality, God does not forsake His own, even when they fall, as long as they seek to return to Him. All sin can be forgiven. Righteousness can be restored. And the conscience can be assuaged.
I wonder if you are speaking from personal experience here. I don't think I would characterize you as a worm, but I think I share your sense of humility and contrition. And what you say about being forgiven is very important and a good reminder. Thanks.

It is still clear that even a restored Christian can exhibit an "on again off again" righteousness, and can, like the world, exhibit righteousness for selfish purposes. But an obedient Christian is one that chooses to *live in* righteousness, and not just pick and choose every day. The mature Christian learns consistency in demonstrating righteousness.
I don't think I have met anyone, including myself who can live in righteousness 100% of the time. But I admire those who make the attempt. It's as if their life is a vector arrow pointed toward perfect righteousness and judging by the flight of the arrow, it looks like it's headed in the right direction and might reach the target someday.

The theology of our righteousness is something else. Even stating "our righteousness" brings horror to some Christians. To state that our righteousness has any role in our Salvation also brings instant rebuke. But a lot of this is terminology. As long as we couch our words in a proper context then the words can remain free of misuse and misinterpretation.
Again, there are systematic theologies out there, teaching that we have no righteousness of our own, but I disagree with them. I think the Bible teaches us that indeed, God declares his children to be "right" with him, because he has sanctified them with his spirit. And if this is true about me, then it is true about me in particular. It isn't as if God is deceiving himself about me or that when he looks down from heaven he doesn't see me but Christ instead. He sees me for who I am but his declaration of "right" is based on his choice to bless me, not on my worthiness to be blessed. So again, I think you have made an important point.

But this language sometimes fails to see that in denying our works a role in our Salvation they are actually referencing the Scriptures where they admit that it is our "record" that excludes us from Heaven. It is not at all saying that the Christian has no righteousness in himself or herself. It is only stating the fact that any sin, and any contamination at all, can exclude one from Heaven.
I think you are correct. Works are not the means whereby we earn our salvation; our works are evidence that we are being saved. This is the point James was making when he pointed out that Abraham's works gave evidence of his faith.

It is critical, I believe, to recognize the importance of having our own righteousness, received from Christ, which he imparts to us when we follow his teaching. Even more, it is important to make him Lord and Savior by committing to follow him and his righteousness *always.*
I'm not sure what point you're making here because much of it is heavily laden with presuppositions and preunderstanding, coming from a few of those systematic theologies I mentioned earlier. I think I could agree with you that we have our own righteousness received from Christ under the proviso that the declaration "right with me" is more directly associated with something true about me personally and only indirectly associated with Christ. Don't get me wrong, Jesus Christ is the essential means of that declaration, it's just that being declared "righteous" acknowledges a reality that truly exists in my case. (I believe) In this sense, salvation is subjective, meaning, I am the subject of the salvation that God brings. If he is saving me, then he is saving me in particular and therefore, his declaration applies to me because something is true about me.

This internalization of him and his Spirit is what gives us a righteousness stamped with and bearing his own spotless record. And it indicates that we are saved forever.
This is well said in my opinion.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 3:9 - and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith.

nuff said

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are no more “righteous” than we are “ holy”—— we get this attributes IMPUTED to us the instant that we Believe the Gospel ( 1Cor15:1-4 )......

Reactions: marks

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I think of righteousness, I think in terms of what is right, what is fitting, or proper, or appropriate, etc. I like what you are saying here, and I wonder if you would agree with this? From my perspective, Jesus Christ is the epitome of righteousness. He is our standard, he is the exemplar of all righteousness such that he stands as the one whom we should follow and emulate.

I think so. I'm saying that "righteousness is righteousness," and we shouldn't try to marginalize it or dismiss it due to human imperfections. Mankind was originally given a benevolent, god-like nature. We want to and try to do good. And this is often "righteousness" in the true meaning of the word. It comes to man as a free gift from God, Christian or not.

Your statement here is filled with insight, in my opinion. I can think of a particular systematic theology that would say man can never be good or do anything good at all. But, as you rightly point out, man is fully capable of doing good things. We are evil because we aren't consistent. At times we can be corrupted, or double-minded.

Thanks, Cady!

I wonder if you are speaking from personal experience here. I don't think I would characterize you as a worm, but I think I share your sense of humility and contrition. And what you say about being forgiven is very important and a good reminder. Thanks.

You may have misunderstood me here--I was trying to cover the matter so quickly because I was afraid I would forget where I was going with it! ;) I was trying to say that the biblical sense in which we can call ourselves a "worm" is actually applicable to the times when we have failed. It doesn't mean we've utterly failed, never to recover--only that we *feel* like a worm, not living up to our best intentions.

This is not to be our regular view of ourselves, although I do admire those who think of themselves as somewhat "lowly," knowing that they are really just trying to serve others, building others up ahead of themselves.

We shouldn't really try to remain as "worms," but move beyond our failures to become respectable, noble Christians, exemplifying the righteousness of Christ. Big task, but that's our goal.

I don't think I have met anyone, including myself who can live in righteousness 100% of the time. But I admire those who make the attempt. It's as if their life is a vector arrow pointed toward perfect righteousness and judging by the flight of the arrow, it looks like it's headed in the right direction and might reach the target someday.

Yea, exactly as I just said. On the other hand, care needs to be taken that we don't get caught up in trying to overburden ourselves with "appearances." The one who tries to be perfect is putting himself in a box he can't get out of. I love this verse....

Eccles 7.16 Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise— why destroy yourself?

Young Christians especially need to understand that they cannot make themselves grow too quickly. They should just be themselves and allow the grace and compassion of God help them through their growing pains. We can't say things perfectly, so we should be content to just get the thought out the best we can and hope to explain things later.

Again, there are systematic theologies out there, teaching that we have no righteousness of our own, but I disagree with them. I think the Bible teaches us that indeed, God declares his children to be "right" with him, because he has sanctified them with his spirit. And if this is true about me, then it is true about me in particular. It isn't as if God is deceiving himself about me or that when he looks down from heaven he doesn't see me but Christ instead. He sees me for who I am but his declaration of "right" is based on his choice to bless me, not on my worthiness to be blessed. So again, I think you have made an important point.

Yes, part of this comes from Jesus' concern that we not "judge by appearances," and by Paul's claim that "love believes all things." We dare not constantly question the motives of people simply because they seem to be somewhat tainted. A person who is trying to sell me a vacation package may be sincerely concerned that I take a break from my labors and enjoy life a little! ;)

We don't have to say people who do good are going to Heaven. That isn't our decision. But we should say that when they do well that they are indeed doing well! :)

I think you are correct. Works are not the means whereby we earn our salvation; our works are evidence that we are being saved. This is the point James was making when he pointed out that Abraham's works gave evidence of his faith.

Right, Jesus atoned for our sins so that we can obtain his righteousness forever. Apart from Jesus all our good works are just that, though without the pardon we need for eternal life.

I'm not sure what point you're making here because much of it is heavily laden with presuppositions and preunderstanding, coming from a few of those systematic theologies I mentioned earlier. I think I could agree with you that we have our own righteousness received from Christ under the proviso that the declaration "right with me" is more directly associated with something true about me personally and only indirectly associated with Christ. Don't get me wrong, Jesus Christ is the essential means of that declaration, it's just that being declared "righteous" acknowledges a reality that truly exists in my case. (I believe) In this sense, salvation is subjective, meaning, I am the subject of the salvation that God brings. If he is saving me, then he is saving me in particular and therefore, his declaration applies to me because something is true about me.
This is well said in my opinion.

Yea, what I was saying initially is what I then tried to say theologically, despite all of the confusion over language on this subject. "Our righteousness" is what the Apostle John said we have in 1 John.

1 John 3.7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.

This does not mean that we have "stolen" Christ's righteousness to claim it exclusively for ourselves so that *on our own* we can obtain eternal life. No, even though it is "our righteousness," it is still Christ's righteousness as well.

What brings Eternal Life to us is when that righteousness is embedded in our heart, dwelling permanently within us, making it Christ's righteousness and our righteousness forever. That happens when we make Jesus our eternal Lord, and he reciprocates in this covenant agreement by allowing his Spirit to indwell us for all eternity.

When he indwells us, his righteousness becomes part of us despite our human imperfections. The difference between us and the world is that we choose to make Christ's righteousness our rule, rather than an occasional choice. We make Jesus *our Lord," indicating that his righteousness has become our rule. In doing so, we set grace in motion in a way that brings pardon for all of our failures. Thanks for the kind words, brother! :)

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so. I'm saying that "righteousness is righteousness," and we shouldn't try to marginalize it or dismiss it due to human imperfections. Mankind was originally given a benevolent, god-like nature. We want to and try to do good. And this is often "righteousness" in the true meaning of the word. It comes to man as a free gift from God, Christian or not.
Did you know that the Bible employs the term "righteousness" to convey one of three distinct ideas? I recommend a book written by my friend Ron Julian, "Righteous sinners."

https://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Sinners-Ron-Julian-ebook/dp/B018DFEK0Y

(He passed away last year.)

Thanks, Cady!

You may have misunderstood me here--I was trying to cover the matter so quickly because I was afraid I would forget where I was going with it! ;) I was trying to say that the biblical sense in which we can call ourselves a "worm" is actually applicable to the times when we have failed. It doesn't mean we've utterly failed, never to recover--only that we *feel* like a worm, not living up to our best intentions.

This is not to be our regular view of ourselves, although I do admire those who think of themselves as somewhat "lowly," knowing that they are really just trying to serve others, building others up ahead of themselves.
Good point. Speaking of Ron Julian, during a talk in which he argued that to admit ourselves to be sinners is not to admit ourselves to be garbage, he said, "I am like a really expensive sports car. It's just my steering is broken, causing me to run over those that I love." (He loved sports cars.)

Young Christians especially need to understand that they cannot make themselves grow too quickly. They should just be themselves and allow the grace and compassion of God help them through their growing pains. We can't say things perfectly, so we should be content to just get the thought out the best we can and hope to explain things later.
Good advice, I think.

We don't have to say people who do good are going to Heaven. That isn't our decision. But we should say that when they do well that they are indeed doing well! :)
Another insightful statement in my opinion.

When he indwells us, his righteousness becomes part of us despite our human imperfections. The difference between us and the world is that we choose to make Christ's righteousness our rule, rather than an occasional choice. We make Jesus *our Lord," indicating that his righteousness has become our rule. In doing so, we set grace in motion in a way that brings pardon for all of our failures. Thanks for the kind words, brother! :)

Keep up the good work.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Abraham righteous?

Abraham * BELIEVED* God and it was *COUNTED TO HIM* as Righteousness ...read the guy’s story.....even AFTER God declared him “ righteous” he committed many sins.....he willfully disobeyed God When he took Lot with him when he left the city of Ur......he had a major time of Unbelief when he committed Adultery with Hager...He Lied about his wife when he was in Egypt......he was no more Perfect than you and I are.....every time he Stumbled , HE was the one that paid the price ......just like us...

I am just like Abraham in a few ways.....I sin.....I pay the price here in my Earthly existence.....My sins are forgiven and forgotten by God purely because of His Mercy and Grace ....I get those two things because I BELIEVE a Promise of God ( that is what Faith is) ......Abraham had his Promise and I got mine......it’s a simple Promise from God and all that I have to do is Believe it and prove that I Believe it by Resting in it.....I “Rest” in the Promise Of 1 Cor15:1-4......I actually BELIEVE that Jesus died for my sins....that being True, you tell me—— what Sin can I ever be damned for? If your answer is “ None”..... go to the head of the class....

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are no more “righteous” than we are “ holy”—— we get this attributes IMPUTED to us the instant that we Believe the Gospel ( 1Cor15:1-4 )......

We have Christ's *record* of righteousness imputed to us. That is the point I wished to make. Men and women can have "righteousness" in the true sense of that word without having a *perfect record* of righteousness. To have eternal life, we need *Christ's record" of perfection imputed to us. Righteousness as such is always available to man, even apart from having Christ's *perfect record* imputed to them, as far back as Cain.

Gen 4.6 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”

Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know that the Bible employs the term "righteousness" to convey one of three distinct ideas? I recommend a book written by my friend Ron Julian, "Righteous sinners."

https://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Sinners-Ron-Julian-ebook/dp/B018DFEK0Y

(He passed away last year.)

Sorry to hear that!

Good point. Speaking of Ron Julian, during a talk in which he argued that to admit ourselves to be sinners is not to admit ourselves to be garbage, he said, "I am like a really expensive sports car. It's just my steering is broken, causing me to run over those that I love." (He loved sports cars.)

I love that. Sounds like he was a great guy!
Thanks. Looks like I have some studying to do! ;)

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Abraham * BELIEVED* God and it was *COUNTED TO HIM* as Righteousness ...read the guy’s story.....even AFTER God declared him “ righteous” he committed many sins.....he willfully disobeyed God When he took Lot with him when he left the city of Ur......he had a major time of Unbelief when he committed Adultery with Hager...He Lied about his wife when he was in Egypt......he was no more Perfect than you and I are.....every time he Stumbled , HE was the one that paid the price ......just like us...

I am just like Abraham in a few ways.....I sin.....I pay the price here in my Earthly existence.....My sins are forgiven and forgotten by God purely because of His Mercy and Grace ....I get those two things because I BELIEVE a Promise of God ( that is what Faith is) ......Abraham had his Promise and I got mine......it’s a simple Promise from God and all that I have to do is Believe it and prove that I Believe it by Resting in it.....I “Rest” in the Promise Of 1 Cor15:1-4......I actually BELIEVE that Jesus died for my sins....that being True, you tell me—— what Sin can I ever be damned for? If your answer is “ None”..... go to the head of the class....
I don't disagree with what you are saying. I agree with it wholeheartedly. I asked about Abraham because both Paul and James spoke about the faith of Abraham, and especially that God declared Abraham to be righteous.

This is a clue, it seems, that the Bible has more than one meaning of "righteous." After all, as you rightly point out, "all our righteousness is like filthy rags." So if our righteousness is like filthy rags, why would we want it? The answer comes back, "Christians have the righteousness of Christ." Okay, but Abraham wasn't a Christian. He wasn't even a Jew. But he did please God; he obeyed God; and above all, he believed God. And because Abraham believed God, he was declared righteous. But in what way was he "righteous?"

My friend Ron Julian argued that the Bible has three distinct meanings for the term "righteous".

Righteous:
1. A life consisting of always doing the right thing. Moral goodness. (Moral Righteousness)
2. A life of obedience, especially in the context of religious devotion. (Religious Righteousness)
3. A person whom God has granted his approval. (God's declaration of "justified" or "right with me.")

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Righteous:
1. A life consisting of always doing the right thing. Moral goodness. (Moral Righteousness)
2. A life of obedience, especially in the context of religious devotion. (Religious Righteousness)
3. A person whom God has granted his approval. (God's declaration of "justified" or "right with me."

The first two are better than their alternatives—- no doubt about it.....Just make sure you get the last one accomplished before you kick the bucket....Unlike the others, it will determine your eternal destiny.....simply Believe the Gospel ( 1cor15:1-4 )

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Righteous:
3. A person whom God has granted his approval. (God's declaration of "justified" or "right with me."

The first two are better than their alternatives—- no doubt about it.....Just make sure you get the last one accomplished before you kick the bucket....Unlike the others, it will determine your eternal destiny.....simply Believe the Gospel ( 1cor15:1-4 )

Absolutely true and well said. But it's also important to see the connection between justification and righteousness. We are saved to become righteous. And our righteousness is evidence of our salvation. Beyond that, righteousness is important to God because He made us in His image to be like Him.

1 John 3.7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953