Am i bound to this one?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I felt guilty last night because I play a game series I know has bad themes, so I started, legitimately, making an oath never to play it again...but I realized at the very last second, during the "amen", in the last split second of it, that God doesn't want us making oaths. My mind must have done the equivalent of breaking the sound barrier resisting and turning back during what must of been my thoughts doing the "n".

I'm not TOO worried about this, since that series is very bad moral content wise anyway(heavy Gnostic and occult themes) but I would rather not be bound under an oath at all, Jesus said don't ever make oaths after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to play video games that were not so Godly. Maybe you'll grow out of it. Some of the best content is evil I'm afraid so you'll have to decide what you feel is appropriate. But God wouldn't want us being part of evil.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is Godly?

Christians on the internet make me feel like I'm only allowed watch episodes of the simpsons where everything except Mr. Flanders is censored and edited out.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I felt guilty last night because I play a game series I know has bad themes, so I started, legitimately, making an oath never to play it again...but I realized at the very last second, during the "amen", in the last split second of it, that God doesn't want us making oaths. My mind must have done the equivalent of breaking the sound barrier resisting and turning back during what must of been my thoughts doing the "n".

I'm not TOO worried about this, since that series is very bad moral content wise anyway(heavy Gnostic and occult themes) but I would rather not be bound under an oath at all, Jesus said don't ever make oaths after all.
You should probably clarify that you're more concerned that you pledged an oath in violation of Matthew 5:33-37.

33 “Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, ‘You shall not make false vows, but shall fulfill your vows to the Lord.’ 34 But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, 35 or by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you make an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 But let your statement be, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’; anything beyond these is of evil."

(I should point out that refusing to take an oath in the US Court system or the military will get you in trouble with the civil authorities. I never really thought about that when I had jury duty. Nor did I think about it when my wife and I took our wedding vows before God's people. Hmm.)

I respect that you are concerned about violating Jesus's commandments. You've already confessed the violation, so "let your 'yes' be 'yes' and your 'no' be 'no'". Either give up the game or don't give up the game. But you've already made a promise, so you really should keep it.

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should probably clarify that you're more concerned that you pledged an oath in violation of Matthew 5:33-37.

33 “Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, ‘You shall not make false vows, but shall fulfill your vows to the Lord.’ 34 But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, 35 or by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you make an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 But let your statement be, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’; anything beyond these is of evil."

(I should point out that refusing to take an oath in the US Court system or the military will get you in trouble with the civil authorities. I never really thought about that when I had jury duty. Nor did I think about it when my wife and I took our wedding vows before God's people. Hmm.)

I respect that you are concerned about violating Jesus's commandments. You've already confessed the violation, so "let your 'yes' be 'yes' and your 'no' be 'no'". Either give up the game or don't give up the game. But you've already made a promise, so you really should keep it.
I turned back on it before finishing though, at least I thought I did...I try to not make oaths anymore, I completely forgot about the command not to then, and I'm glad I managed to turn back hopefully before it was binding, even if at the last second.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I turned back on it before finishing though, at least I thought I did...I try to not make oaths anymore, I completely forgot about the command not to then, and I'm glad I managed to turn back hopefully before it was binding, even if at the last second.
Wait. Are you concerned that you sinned by making an oath at all? Are you concerned because you changed your mind about giving up this particular game and you no longer wish to be bound by this oath? Or are you concerned that if you're bound by your oath, there may be consequences if, despite your honest and sincere efforts, you fail to keep it?

And you just reminded me that I missed a deadline to submit a spec and a test plan. Sigh.

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wait. Are you concerned that you sinned by making an oath at all? Are you concerned because you changed your mind about giving up this particular game and you no longer wish to be bound by this oath? Or are you concerned that if you're bound by your oath, there may be consequences if, despite your honest and sincere efforts, you fail to keep it?

And you just reminded me that I missed a deadline to submit a spec and a test plan. Sigh.
I don't want to be bound by this oath mainly, and I'm hoping since I stopped the oath and changed my mind before I finished making it, I won't have to be making it...I don't want to have sinned by having made an oath in violation of Jesus's commands

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't want to be bound by this oath mainly, and I'm hoping since I stopped the oath and changed my mind before I finished making it, I won't have to be making it...I don't want to have sinned by having made an oath in violation of Jesus's commands
I'm torn between exhorting you to be honest with God, since He already knows what was in your heart. Or telling you that the world needs men and women who are willing to make commitments and promises, and do their darnedest to keep them. (While feeling hypocritical for being delinquent on my own commitments!) Or stay with what I first said: Trust God's loving-kindness, and in the future "let your 'yes' be 'yes' and your 'no' be 'no'", and just simply try to do the right thing.

Here, you pick one. They're all good.

Reactions: Nancy and Jabre

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm torn between exhorting you to be honest with God, since He already knows what was in your heart. Or telling you that the world needs men and women who are willing to make commitments and promises, and do their darnedest to keep them. (While feeling hypocritical for being delinquent on my own commitments!) Or stay with what I first said: Trust God's loving-kindness, and in the future "let your 'yes' be 'yes' and your 'no' be 'no'", and just simply try to do the right thing.

Here, you pick one. They're all good.
Thank you, please pray I won't be so foolish again...

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you, please pray I won't be so foolish again...
Hey, Jabre, I don't want you feeling like you were being foolish. You weren't. Your question had some very subtle complexities involving honesty with God, implications of Jesus teachings on oaths and if they apply to the making of promises and commitments that are absolutely necessary for life, focusing your mind on honorable things (thank you, Pearl!), and keeping promises. It's not foolish and it's not simple. It's good that you recognized the moral conflicts that are going on in your situation.

I apologize for coming down on you too harshly. Okay?

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you consider something sinful then for you it is although it may not be to others.