Am I Wrong For Thinking This ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Did Jesus pray for people from a distance ? I guess he did that as well, but when he could, he went up to them and laid his hands on them. If he was in the same vicinity as them he made sure they knew he was praying for them. That's why it always surprises and saddens me when I see hardly anyone posting their prayers and words of edification in the prayer section. (Praying at home I guess....) But oh how the debate forum is active ! <_<

That's the main thing I look for when I look at Christian sites. How active is the response of the members in the prayer section. Do they actually reach out to others, or are merely content to prove their points somewhere amongst the board thread jungle.

It helps one to know they have brothers and sisters who will actually take the effort to let them know, "I am here for you."
Otherwise, be a pew warmer.

I'm just saying.

laid renard ~

PS

UGH

Reactions: KingJ

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
LAID RENARD

BLESS YOUR HEART MY FRIEND :)

I've been thinking that same thing since I joined this place.

I to love to pray for people..and yes, the other sites always have prayer requests.

And renard........my pew is always cold.......I'm standin praising God

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer is very important. Unfortunately I am on 12 hour shifts. Which only not interferes with my prayer life... But on me getting on my motorcycle and enjoying these beautiful spring days! ugh!

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I'm just curious, do any of you pray for non-Christians who request that you pray for them?

I reckon Jesus did when he said, "Father, forgive them: for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34).

But then he also prayed; "I pray for them (disciples): I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine" (John 17:9).

I ask because I've had non-believers ask me to pray for relatives who are sick, but because these relatives reject Christ, I get confused and don't know how to pray for them. So if a buddist request your prayers for healing, would you comply? And would God hear you?

Hashe

Mar 1, 2014
I think the OP is right on the mark.
Why are people on forum's?
It seems to me like they were very popular a few years ago, but perhaps the rise of facebook and other social media has meant a decline and left only a few types of people on forums.

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
Dan57 said:
I'm just curious, do any of you pray for non-Christians who request that you pray for them?

I reckon Jesus did when he said, "Father, forgive them: for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34).

But then he also prayed; "I pray for them (disciples): I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine" (John 17:9).

I ask because I've had non-believers ask me to pray for relatives who are sick, but because these relatives reject Christ, I get confused and don't know how to pray for them. So if a buddist request your prayers for healing, would you comply? And would God hear you?
I believe we should as God leads. Our prayers could bring them in. We may have lost loved ones that we need God to changed them. He knows the desires of our hearts. I believe as we pray in faith God deals with them. Jesus wasn't praying for the world but those that were given to Him. We were in the world... He prayed for us.. Hallelujah!!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But forums are for debate, and Jesus didn’t use internet forums, or written letters or messages to heal or lay hands on anyone, did He? Forums are for debate and discussions, could that be why that is the majority of what you see on what is for debate and discussions? Church services are for song and preaching, mostly and guess what. Most of what you see at church services is song and preaching isn’t it. Amazing how that works that way isn’t it? And so it seems your amazing insight has revealed that the forum is being used for what it is made for.

In His ministry there had to be no mistake by the witnesses and the recipient of what ever it was the Lord Jesus did for them, that it was He who was promised to come in the flesh was there in the flesh. That they could see Him and touch Him and talk to Him like any other human being.

You go out and heal and cast out demons and heal the lunatic and show us how that’s done, then maybe some one else here can learn from it. Typical of the self righteous christian rhetoric, if you’re not doing what he thinks you ought to be doing, then you are less of a christian then he is.

Besides, isn’t God supposed to be your witness? Then why should we witness your prayer?

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland
DPMartin said:
But forums are for debate, and Jesus didn’t use internet forums, or written letters or messages to heal or lay hands on anyone, did He? Forums are for debate and discussions, could that be why that is the majority of what you see on what is for debate and discussions? Church services are for song and preaching, mostly and guess what. Most of what you see at church services is song and preaching isn’t it. Amazing how that works that way isn’t it? And so it seems your amazing insight has revealed that the forum is being used for what it is made for.
In His ministry there had to be no mistake by the witnesses and the recipient of what ever it was the Lord Jesus did for them, that it was He who was promised to come in the flesh was there in the flesh. That they could see Him and touch Him and talk to Him like any other human being.
You go out and heal and cast out demons and heal the lunatic and show us how that’s done, then maybe some one else here can learn from it. Typical of the self righteous christian rhetoric, if you’re not doing what he thinks you ought to be doing, then you are less of a christian then he is.

Besides, isn’t God supposed to be your witness? Then why should we witness your prayer?
Wow. I think you are way off base on this one DP. I do not think she is condemning anyone, just would rather see more edification. I definitely do not think she is taking the "holier than thou" approach as it does not fit into her personality...or don't you spend any time reading other peoples posts to get a feel where they normally come from. I have never seen a post of hers that has been "I am such a better Christian than anyone else".

Church has its place and purpose...that is true. Forums serve a purpose...that is true. Christ has us on a mission no matter where we are to love our neighbors as ourselves. I think this is what she is saying.

Now here I am debating something.....sorry laid renard....geesh :wacko:

SL

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Heck pray for everything.....you bet the lost....HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!! PRAY PRAY PRAY..
We pray for everything, chickens, ducks, people, fish.........but never and I mean never pray for satan....
PRAISE THE LORD

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
DPM : Waaaaaay off base. :lol: But that's okay. I doesn't bother me. :) God bless you.

SL : Bullseye !! Thanks. :) And isn't it amusing how a thread on why do some debate more than pray for others, brings said debating ? Funny.

Randor : You forgot bunnies. :(

laid renard ~

Ps

When choosing my username, I purposely used lower case to stress my insignificance. I have never ever taken on the holier than thou attitude.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have some water I have to walk on.

And if I lose faith and start to sink, my halo will make an excellent floatation device.

Hashe

Mar 1, 2014
DPMartin said:

I think Jesus used the debate forums of his day. They weren't on the internet but in other places.
But there is a positive way to debate and there are unhelpful ways. Much on Christian forums I find very unhelpful.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Secondhand Lion said:
Wow. I think you are way off base on this one DP. I do not think she is condemning anyone, just would rather see more edification. I definitely do not think she is taking the "holier than thou" approach as it does not fit into her personality...or don't you spend any time reading other peoples posts to get a feel where they normally come from. I have never seen a post of hers that has been "I am such a better Christian than anyone else".

Church has its place and purpose...that is true. Forums serve a purpose...that is true. Christ has us on a mission no matter where we are to love our neighbors as ourselves. I think this is what she is saying.

Now here I am debating something.....sorry laid renard....geesh :wacko:

SL

It seems you think I’m supposed to trust what you say, but what was the context of the text posted? That’s what I know to be, and what anyone else who reads the posting knows to be. Besides no one here is required to take into consideration personality traits of the poster. On a forum web site "where you are coming from" is in the posting. And the thread is titled "Am I Wrong for thinking this?" Yes you are wrong for such and such reasons. Why is that a problem? If you don’t want someone to answer, don’t ask.

Christianity doesn’t revolve around anyone but Christ, and His Kingdom. Though those who call themselves Christians, do and walk otherwise.

And again I ask:
Isn’t God supposed to be your witness? Then why should we witness your prayer?
Hashe said:
I think Jesus used the debate forums of his day. They weren't on the internet but in other places.
But there is a positive way to debate and there are unhelpful ways. Much on Christian forums I find very unhelpful.
Jesus being at what was used as a place for debate and discussions on issues is a good point, but the OP was referring to His acts of healing and the like and making statements of their view of prayer should be public, and they should be known for their prayers.

It was common I do believe to refer to such a place as the gate of the city. The old and the wise congregated somewhere in those days, but as far as debate unhelpful to you, it really does depend on who you might find yourself in conversation with. One can truly find themselves in the Lord’s reality of:

Mt:7:6: Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

I’ve been on many different Christian and philosophy web sites. Needless to say you can’t trust what people tell you about themselves for example, whether they are truly Christian or not and what they truly believe. But as the Lord says, He would rather we be hot or cold, not lukewarm or indifferent. And in most church environments I’ve been in, the conversation is only one way. In some cases like a sermon being delivered, that’s a good thing, but there is much more to the Kingdom of God and its fulfillment then preaching and teaching. And the internet provides otherwise in a society that doesn’t accommodate place such as the city gates, that is available to the common public. Here we have a public conversation, nothing said in hiding, and most anyone can join the conversation.

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
DPMartin,

I don't want anyone to "witness" the praying for others. I was trying to convey that when one has the level of concern in a matter it takes to actually spill your guts out in public to a bunch of total strangers, who are suppose to be your brothers and sisters by the way, it would be nice for the one requesting prayer to receive a higher level of support. We have ALOT of members. I am saddened by the ratio.

A week ago I actually pm'd most of the mods (I forgot one.... :D ) to request prayer concerning someone dear to me, it was important to me. I did so for I did not have confidence in enough intercession on the part of my fellow forum members. :( Little Prayer--Little Power, Much Prayer--Much Power. :) (Don't worry mods, I'm not gonna make a habit of that. :) )

We can pray a one time prayer to our Father all by ourselves, but it is also scriptural to practice the perseverance prayer (the woman and the evil judge), and also asking for prayer from many (the letters in the NT where a disciple asked a whole church to pray).

Yes we disagree, but you are bringing an attitude toward the OP'er (that would be moi ^_^ ) more suited for if they ran over your dog on purpose.
Reality Check please.

Two alternative responses : "Hey, I don't wanna pray," or, "Hey, I pray quietly for them,"

*laid renard takes a bold step, for she is not confrontational at all and quite shy, by saying she thinks both answers are wrong*

Sorry there wasn't a little emoticon for that. I know, I looked. They don't have me.

You were right in one aspect. I should not have posed a generic question. I should have just came out and stated, "I think we need to show more support in the prayer section." That way, certain types *cough* would never have even clicked on it, and went their happy way to the debate section. Totally my own fault. *hits head* (No little emoticon for that either. Too bad, I would use it alot ! :lol: )

Now don't get me wrong, I think debating is necessary. But it needs to be balanced. ;)

I think it's in proverbs. I'm paraphrasing here, but it goes : Be careful with whom you spend your time, cause eventually you will start to act like them.
That's one reason why I try to stay out of the disagreements at forums, cause I can debate in a mature manner, but every once in a while, one hostile poster will bring me down to their level. Gotta be careful about that.

All I was trying to say was that there is a side to this forum that is unbalanced. And the proof came to me. I did not have to go and seek it.

In closing : I think we need less dragging down of others, and more lifting up of others.

Now, lets see.... where would be a good section to do that ? ..........

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your low opinion of those who would disagree with what you think, and cause you to desire to express your disagreement with them because they have expressed their disagreement with you proves my point. Any one not like you is lesser then you, I disagreed with your posting, so as implied in your posting, in your view I must be lesser then you. I mean how dare I disagree with what you think, isn’t that correct? And in so many words you have just stated that. You should have posted a blog somewhere, so that way no one can take the opportunity to disagree with what you think. There is no sign here that states disagreeing with the OP or what you think, is not permitted, is there?

As far as your selection of desired responses to your posting you should have made it a multiple choice, then you wouldn’t know any honest responses that could show the you are wrong for thinking. Again if you don’t want the public to answer your posting then don’t post it in public, keep it to yourself. I’m not going to continue to debate the right to debate on a site designed for the right to debate. Its like trying to tell a dog to change his clothes. Have a nice day.

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland
DPMartin said:
It seems you think I’m supposed to trust what you say, but what was the context of the text posted? That’s what I know to be, and what anyone else who reads the posting knows to be. Besides no one here is required to take into consideration personality traits of the poster. On a forum web site "where you are coming from" is in the posting. And the thread is titled "Am I Wrong for thinking this?" Yes you are wrong for such and such reasons. Why is that a problem? If you don’t want someone to answer, don’t ask.

Christianity doesn’t revolve around anyone but Christ, and His Kingdom. Though those who call themselves Christians, do and walk otherwise.

And again I ask:
Isn’t God supposed to be your witness? Then why should we witness your prayer?
You are such a cutie pie. :)

Let me clear things up for you since you seemed to miss it. No...you are not supposed to trust what I say. You are supposed to trust what Christ says. Treat your neighbor as yourself. Pretty plain language.

So...let me see if I have this correct:

She is wrong and we take nothing else into account....got it. She thinks she is better than everyone else because if you disagree with her point of view (which of course has to be invalid because you don't agree with it) she is "looking down on you" by default...there is no other possibility...up to and including maybe being right. The only thing we can know for sure is that her point of view is wrong because it is her opinion and that yours is right...because it is your opi...n....ion...wait now....

Now my mommy told me a long time ago....when you point your finger at someone else...there are always two pointing back at you. (sorry...my mom lost a finger in an unfortunate pie eating contest....we don't talk about it much).

I think the person looking down on someone else just might be.......nah....she is wrong...it is simpler that way.

SL
RANDOR said:
LET US PRAY
:lol: You are great to have around Randor!

SL