And The Lord God Formed Man

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Genesis 2:7 "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

The word "formed" is used [molded as clay] to describe the making of this man we would come to know as Adam.
When man was formed he became a living creature.The physical body was formed pressed/molded out of clay as in a way one might think of in the making of pottery or a vessel. God was the Potter (maker of this vessel).
A vessel is made to hold a thing, so it was the clay vessel (a physical body) that was to hold a soul/spirit the living part of us connected to God
So it was God created a clay vessel and into it breathed (put) the breath of life ..

What is this breath of life its much more than just air its was the breath,a part of God blown into nostrils.

The Hebrew Word for breath is nĕshamah,as is typical of Hebrew it paints a picture for us. This breath, was spirit . The spirit of God imparting life to the soul of man not just physical life
to the flesh vessel but soul/spirit life, a part of himself, sometimes referred to in Hebrew as a spark, it is this soul/spirit that filled this flesh vessel .

It was this breath that made man a living soul lets look at the Word soul here in the Hebrew and see what picture it paints for us
Its the Hebrew Word nephesh
1) soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion
a) that which breathes, the breathing substance or being, soul, the inner being of man
b ) living being
c) living being (with life in the blood)
d) the man himself, self, person or individual
e) seat of the appetites
f) seat of emotions and passions
g) activity of mind
h) activity of the will
i) activity of the character

We can see that it was much more than just a physical life this breath of life gave unto man in the giving of this breath to the soul,
we were given emotions, the mind, and free will, these things did not evolve or were learned over time they were given us by God in his very breath.

Another point of interest in this Word for Breath is it comes from the root Word nasham -meaning to pant as a woman in labor (to give birth)

So it was with this breath of God that it gave birth to a new creature a living flesh being with a living Soul

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Genesis 2:7 "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

The word "formed" is used [molded as clay] to describe the making of this man we would come to know as Adam.
When man was formed he became a living creature.The physical body was formed pressed/molded out of clay as in a way one might think of in the making of pottery or a vessel. God was the Potter (maker of this vessel).
A vessel is made to hold a thing, so it was the clay vessel (a physical body) that was to hold a soul/spirit the living part of us connected to God
So it was God created a clay vessel and into it breathed (put) the breath of life ..

What is this breath of life its much more than just air its was the breath,a part of God blown into nostrils.

The Hebrew Word for breath is nĕshamah,as is typical of Hebrew it paints a picture for us. This breath, was spirit . The spirit of God imparting life to the soul of man not just physical life
to the flesh vessel but soul/spirit life, a part of himself, sometimes referred to in Hebrew as a spark, it is this soul/spirit that filled this flesh vessel .

It was this breath that made man a living soul lets look at the Word soul here in the Hebrew and see what picture it paints for us
Its the Hebrew Word nephesh
1) soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion
a) that which breathes, the breathing substance or being, soul, the inner being of man
b ) living being
c) living being (with life in the blood)
d) the man himself, self, person or individual
e) seat of the appetites
f) seat of emotions and passions
g) activity of mind
h) activity of the will
i) activity of the character

We can see that it was much more than just a physical life this breath of life gave unto man in the giving of this breath to the soul,
we were given emotions, the mind, and free will, these things did not evolve or were learned over time they were given us by God in his very breath.

Another point of interest in this Word for Breath is it comes from the root Word nasham -meaning to pant as a woman in labor (to give birth)

So it was with this breath of God that it gave birth to a new creature a living flesh being with a living Soul

It is significant, this study you have posted. It is the answer to all questions regarding life and death. In it we see when the soul was produced and how life in man existed without a soul being present within. No different than all the other created elements prior to Adams formation, man was alive without a soul until the Living God breathed His breath into him. It is then that the man, formed and existing from the soil of the earth, became a self-conscious entity, separated from the rest of the creation.

When God withdraws His spirit from man, the soul returns to whence it came, man returns to the dust, and the spirit to the Father of all spirits. Without the spirit from God, without a body, there is no existence for a soul. Remove either of the two, and the soul ceases to exist. The immortality of the soul did not upon the scene until the day the Slanderer came upon Eve and told her she could live beyond death, under the right circumstance i.e., eat the fruit, Honey.
fivesense

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Sometimes in our busy lives we miss the majesty of what God says in full
when we just skim over the surface text. Sometimes when we just fully examine one verse
we get a wealth of knowledge. We didnt see a first glance.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have summerized this very well fivesense :)
sometimes in our busy lives we miss the majesty of what God says in full
when we just skim over the surface text. Sometimes when we just fully examine one verse
we get a wealth of knowledge. We didnt see a first glance.

Something else to notice specifically is the manner in which God created man versus all of his other creations.

God simply spoke the rest of creation into existence...and that was sufficient.

The creation of mankind was a lot more personally involved and intimate for God than a mere speaking...we were formed by God's hands and breathed life into (with the spirit discussion going on above)...a pressing of the lips or some thing along those lines.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Something else to notice specifically is the manner in which God created man versus all of his other creations.

The creation of mankind was a lot more personally involved and intimate for God than a mere speaking...we were formed by God's hands and breathed life into (with the spirit discussion going on above)...a pressing of the lips or some thing along those lines.

Excellent point JohnDB, thanks.
smile.gif

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI

I will take it to the next level, for those who are willing to believe God
2C 5:18 And the all things are of God, who reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and did give to us the ministration of the reconciliation,

1C 11:12 for as the woman is of the man, so also the man is through the woman, and the all things are of God.

ek ho theos, Greek transliteration? Out of the God...

He did not create the world out of "nothing", He created it out of Himself.

Ro 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, [are] all things: to whom [be] glory for ever. Amen.

Jn 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from (ek) God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

The Greek word for "from" is apo, not ek. Ek means out, despite Strong's bias towards interpreting things according to creed instead of inspiration. That was his job.

I was edified by your post, JohnDB. Thank you.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I will take it to the next level, for those who are willing to believe God
2C 5:18 And the all things are of God, who reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and did give to us the ministration of the reconciliation,

1C 11:12 for as the woman is of the man, so also the man is through the woman, and the all things are of God.

ek ho theos, Greek transliteration? Out of the God...

He did not create the world out of "nothing", He created it out of Himself.

Ro 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, [are] all things: to whom [be] glory for ever. Amen.

Jn 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from (ek) God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

The Greek word for "from" is apo, not ek. Ek means out, despite Strong's bias towards interpreting things according to creed instead of inspiration. That was his job.

I was edified by your post, JohnDB. Thank you.

Very liberating post Fivesense, I like it very much, thanks.