Angry Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hashe

Mar 1, 2014
I found this blog entry at this address (although I can't post links yet)
jonnitta.com/2014/04/28/why-are-christians-so-angry/

I see lots of people who I think are posting on forums out of their 'wrath'!
What do you think?

----------------

I just read a great blog piece recently by Kevin DeYoung who addressed the issue of getting after others’ sins while ignoring the deep sin in one’s own heart. we tend to pick and choose sins to focus on in others while at the same time tending to gloss over the depth of our own sin and how it culturally manifests itself. This strategy allows us to conveniently focus on how bad others are are while giving ourself a pass.

While DeYoung focused on gluttony, let me focus on what I commonly observe today. What about wrath? Why have we given a pass to Christians who are angry? My observation from blogs, comments, and listening to people is that there are a lot of angry people who appear to be followers of Christ. Why are some Christians vehemently uncharitable in their comments about those who don’t share their beliefs? How could it be that people who follow after Jesus are some of the most angry people on the planet? To paraphrase my senior pastor, Lionel, the world is not looking at angry Christians thinking that looks so attractive and representative of Christ.

My use of the word “wrath” is a reflection of how the early Christians adopted seven broad, overarching categories of sin. So wrath, anger, or rage, encompasses a range that is more than just blowing up at a person. Robert Sternberg in his book, The Psychology of Hate, identified 3 main components of hate: (1) the negation of intimacy, which originates from feelings of disgust; (2) passion, which is expressed as intense fear or anger in response to a threat; and (3) contempt, expressed through the devaluation of another. Sternberg says these three components generate, in combination, a range of expressions all the way from cool hate (disgust) to hot hate (rage/anger) including everything in-between – detesting, loathing, revilement, seething, and impatience. Sternberg’s point is that the emotion states of hate runs a wide spectrum and are not just expressed as exploding in rage. While anger and hate are somewhat different, festering anger is a necessary condition of hatred. Could it be that the anger that comes out of Christians toward others is actually a low level hatred?

Anger, in general, is the emotion that rises up out of the heart when one senses that their will is being crossed, they aren’t getting their way, or something is being taken away. It seems to me that much of Christians’ responses today is a much deeper reflection of pride and narcissism that reside in the heart? Like a child who doesn’t know how to respond in an appropriate manner, this kind of anger seems to be more directly linked with a sense of entitlement or privilege that is completely out of line with the gospel.

But there seems to be more to this anger. It was Nietzsche who taught that people suppress their anger only to express it either as resentment or indignation as a way of morally disapproving of others. Much of this anger expressed by Christians takes on a triumphalistic tone. Trimumphalism is the belief that one’s belief is morally superior to another’s and should triumph over every other belief out there. It’s not just, “I have a set of true beliefs.” It’s “I have a set of true beliefs and you are are incredibly wrong” with the spirit of “you are incredibly stupid for believing what you do.” This is the tenor of the attitude that characterizes many comments from Christians in blogs and articles that we read every day.

I’m certainly not saying that we can never determine the rightness or wrongness of a belief. What the triumphalistic attitude communicates is a moral superiority that trumps anyone else. Simply put, it’s a way to shut any discussion down through the wrathful devaluing another by belittling them or reducing them to lesser human status. It seems as though the wider the divide between people the more some people just want to argue. In the midst of angry volleys back and forth, I do not personally know of anyone who ended up seeing Christ as more beautiful because they were devalued or treated poorly in a verbal exchange.

This manner of speaking to people is not in line with the gospel (Gal. 2:14). If the gospel is good news then I don’t have to be insecure of losing power, position, and influence. I don’t have to grind on the fact that my will is being frustrated. Deep charity toward others is in line with the gospel, even if I disagree with them. The reason is Christ suffered complete devaluation on my behalf. I have nothing to prove. I have nothing to fear. I certainly am not in any position to elevate myself above others. This is the only way that we can actually respond humbly to others.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
This is the perfect example of the modern American tendency to dilute RIGHTEOUSNESS - what has come to be known as the cotton candy gospel.

The attitude is condescending and is the outward expression of disobedience, wickedness and abject sin towards God - rejection of His revealed will and expressed revelation of His attitude toward righteousness. It is NOT of God!

Once there was a time in this land, not so long ago, when the reaction to wickedness was shock, anger and ACTION to prevent, suppress and wipe it from society. One does not condone wickedness, unrighteousness and sin, one HATES IT. One drives it from the actions, from the expressions and from even the thoughts of the mind. Jesus said that if a man even thought about sin, he was committing it.

God's attitude towards sin is not kind. God hates it and will not tolerate it. The Bible says judgment begins in the house of God (1 Peter 4:17). The Bible says that God WILL NOT tolerate hypocritical attitudes about it.

Bring no more futile sacrifices;
Incense is an abomination to Me.
The New Moons, the Sabbaths, and the calling of assemblies—
I cannot endure iniquity and the sacred meeting.

Your New Moons and your appointed feasts
My soul hates;
They are a trouble to Me,
I am weary of bearing them.

When you spread out your hands,
I will hide My eyes from you;
Even though you make many prayers,
I will not hear.

Your hands are full of blood.

- Isaiah 1:13-15

How clear does it have to be? Must judgment fall severely upon the land before those who pander moral softness and mediocrity and sin are recognized for what they are - wolves in sheep's clothing?

The Bible isn't about love. It is about the destructive nature of sin. It's about how much God hates it. And it's about what God plans to do about it.
The prostitute is about love - corrupting it, selling it, abandoning the pure nature of it for the sake of personal gratification and profit.

The whores of moral decadence are working in the land, in our churches and in our discussions. They will receive their reward in due time.

​America has turned its back upon the almighty. Public prayer is illegal. Celebration of Holy events and observances are considered a joke while pagan deities are worshipped (Santa Clause, Janus, the Easter bunny and the flag [yes the national flag IS worshipped as a god]). Those who love Jesus are considered to be mental cases and those who stand for righteousness are somehow wrong, twisted, and arrogant.

Yet the most diabolical deviant and wickedly pervasive sin in America regularly parades its shame on our public streets. The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence are approved while those who assume the robes of Holy orders are condemned even in our own churches (I refer to hatred of Catholics by Baptists and other protestants). Is this not a shame to us? Is this not wickedness brought within the walls of our houses of prayer?

God will NOT bless a nation so immersed in sin and debauchery that it cannot even recognize the day of judgment visited upon it. Wait and watch and learn pilgrim, for the days of righteous judgment are upon us. RIGHTEOUSNESS, not sin rules in heaven and upon earth and those who abandon it in the sight of God will learn first hand what God means when He bring His hammer down.

IF GOD DOES NOT JUDGE AMERICA, HE WILL HAVE TO APOLOGIZE TO SODOM AND GOMORRAH.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

PS
Look, I'll give you a small sign that even the most sin hardened mind can recognize - but will never accept.

"Your silver has become dross, your beer is diluted with water."
- Isaiah 1:22 (NET)

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
The reason we are where we are today is by lame duck Christians..
It's like a seventh sense God put in all of us...you can smell, taste, hear and see what's happening to our world.

If the Christian doesn't shout now for what he believes.....THE END....satan has won. ( Meaning::: evil shall prevail...and if ya are a Christian.you will be looked at as silly) you already see that happening.
But we will have to fight for all.... all at once from years past...from those who never took a stand in what they believed.

satan's latest bag of tricks...which is almost empty...is.......the Christian will look like a fool if he opens his mouth.

satan wants ya quiet...............he wants ya to have no passion...........

I SAY STAND.........WARRIORS OF CHRIST AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Yep...I'm a angry Christian.....angry at satan :)

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Christians have looked like fools since day one.
There is nothing new under the sun.

Satan can't win, because Jesus has already gained victory over death,
He has yet to remove his people's disgrace from the earth.

Isaiah 25:8

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Hashe said:
I found this blog entry at this address (although I can't post links yet)
jonnitta.com/2014/04/28/why-are-christians-so-angry/

I see lots of people who I think are posting on forums out of their 'wrath'!
What do you think?
We must not mix 1. contending for the truth and 2. correcting, rebuking with witnessing. I am gentle and extra friendly to the chiefest of unsaved sinners. But those in the house of God or proclaiming to be...I wash. Washing involves scrubbing some places with extra dirt harder then others. I also accept being washed. 1 Cor 5 is crystal clear on the need to judge those within. A loving brother corrects and rebukes.

I judge myself daily in fear and trembling before God. If a brother feels a need to take a rod to my behind, I mostly thank them for it.
Conclusion: Appearance of wrath, when in fact growing pains and much needed rebuking of wolves. No Christian is driven by wrath. Righteous indignation, yes. We all know Jesus died for everyone!