Anne Rice: I Don't Know What To Make Of Her

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dunamite

Nov 15, 2007
I am reading Anne Rice's Christ the Lord, Out of Egypt and don't know what to make of it. You may know her work more for her vampire novels which trouble me. She is a Roman Catholic with much time invested exploring in the Apocrypha. All of this leaves me a bit cold. I think that it is great that she has rededicated herself to Christ, but I am not sure if I approve of what she is trying to do or even understand it.I don't like the idea of writing Jesus' life as fiction, told in the first person. Your thoughts would be appreciated. This is not a new book so perhaps this has been discussed before.

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
I own the book and enjoyed it, although it wasn't a great literary work. I did not see where anything she wrong conflicted with scripture. Of course, I have never been accused of being a master of Biblical teaching, either. While I do not agree with many things in the Catholic faith she professes, I do recognize the change she has made in her life. In hearing her speak and in reading some of her interviews I see her newfound faith as genuine and heartfelt. (I remember an interview she did talking about how she chuckled her way through the book "The Da Vinci Code," stating that the work of fiction had absolutely no basis in scripture.)With the many books she wrote that she herself called "soft-core gore" made her millions and impacted scores of people, I am pleased that she is now using her writing skills in a way that she sees as honoring God. She has renounced those previous books and the lifestyle she was living at that time. I read the book sleeve and back cover of her biography at Barnes & Noble and just from what I gleened there, she has quite a story to tell, including her new relationship with Jesus. My opinion of course shouldn't count for more than anyone else's but I say cut her some slack.

imin

Aug 13, 2011
i thought i saw an article Jul 2010 Huffington Post where she renounced her "christianity"

Anne Rice, the bestselling novelist most popularly known for "Interview with the Vampire" and her other creepy vampire novels, announced on Wednesday via Facebook that she has officially renounced Christianity. It's a bold move for the author who has become well-known for her vehement religiosity; the majority of her frequent tweets are related to religion in some way. The author has also recently launched a new series of novels about angels, which debuted in October 2009 with "Angel Time."
Rice declared on her Facebook account that she is "an outsider" in the Christian community:
I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life.
Rice affirmed that though she has decided to leave the Christian institution, she "remain committed to Christ as always."

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Someone gave me one of her "books on tape" and asked me for my opinion...Sorry, I don't remember which one it was.

I listened until it got to the part where she said when Jesus was a little boy, he would go around killing birds and then bring them back to life so the other kids would marvel at how cool he was.

i thought i saw an article Jul 2010 Huffington Post where she renounced her "christianity"

Anne Rice, the bestselling novelist most popularly known for "Interview with the Vampire" and her other creepy vampire novels, announced on Wednesday via Facebook that she has officially renounced Christianity. It's a bold move for the author who has become well-known for her vehement religiosity; the majority of her frequent tweets are related to religion in some way. The author has also recently launched a new series of novels about angels, which debuted in October 2009 with "Angel Time."
Rice declared on her Facebook account that she is "an outsider" in the Christian community:
I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life.
Rice affirmed that though she has decided to leave the Christian institution, she "remain committed to Christ as always."

Here's an interview in Christianity Today Magazine (Q & A) in which she discusses her decision...

Author Anne Rice made waves across the Internet when she posted a short message on her Facebook page:

For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to 'belong' to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.

Rice returned to the Roman Catholic Church in 1998, a decision she began openly speaking about in 2005. She spoke with Christianity Today about her recent decision, the enormous response, and how she plans to follow Jesus outside the church.

It's been a few weeks since you made an announcement on Facebook.

How have you felt since your decision?

I feel good and relieved about my decision, and I've felt a new spirit of energy creatively for my writing. I was so conflicted and disillusioned about organized religion that I couldn't write.

http://www.christian...t.html?id=89167

The rest of the article is at the linky.

imin

Aug 13, 2011
<Jesus was a little boy, he would go around killing birds and then bring them back to life>

this is not from Anne, i think its from a book called the lost years or even the gnostic gospel
im sure someone knows which

the story goes on something like "someone made Him angry (as a child) and He struck him dead, then mom made Him ressurect him...

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
It was indeed an Anne Rice book. I just don't remember which one but I'll see if I can find it.

Also, do you think it's an acceptable practice to create a completely fictional account of Jesus as was done in this particular book?(Topic subject)

BTW...Isn't this the book where Jesus kills the local bully?

imin

Aug 13, 2011
the book is the Gospel of Thomas

Anne was not the author of these ideas [lies]