Any Sects That Do Not Practice Music?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

haplotype

Oct 19, 2009
I would rather be a Christian than a Muslim, but so far all the sects I have encountered insist on a lot of music during their services -- women playing guitars, choirs with their celebrity status, lay members having to sing complex hymns and what not. I feel it distracts from the message. Are there sects that do not practice music? I've been to a Catholic church also, but they're into this music idol mentality as well. At least in Islam, the emphasis is on the message, not the sounds.

E

Elaine

I don't know about any sects, sorry, and I don't know about Islam services. But, I wanted to agree with you - for me after 25 minutes of yet another song -I start laughing! It is unreal to me that any church thinks we all want to stand for 35 minutes singing ---with, sometimes, bad acoustics. I want the message and, really, the message only. And that is the single reason I go only a few times a year!:)

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Islam is a false religion are you guys paying attention ? There is one way to salvation that is Jesus Christ why on earth would you think a religion who preach that Jesus is a servant to another messiah is OK ...We do not worship Allah Qur'an 5:17"Verily they are disbelievers and infidels who say, 'The Messiah, son of Mary, is God.'" Qur'an 5:17"...Say (Muhammad): 'Who then has the least power against Allah, if His will were to destroy Christ, the Messiah, the son of Mary, his mother, and everyone else on earth?" Qur'an 4:171"O People of the Book! Do not exaggerate in your religion; nor speak lies of Allah. The Messiah, Christ Jesus, the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a Spirit proceeding from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not 'Trinity.' Cease and Desist: (it is) better for you: for Allah is one Ilah (God). (Far it is removed from him of) having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs. The Messiah is proud to be a slave of Allah, as are the angels, those nearest. Those who disdain His worship and are arrogant. Qur'an 4:159"And there is none of the People of the Book but will believe in him (Jesus as only a messenger of Allah and a human being) before his (Jesus') death. He will be a witness against them accepting this religion and their god as your God will buy you a ticket to hell. Anyone bother to read the first commandment ??

haplotype

Oct 19, 2009
Unfortunately, we live in a culture that takes a bullying attitude towards those that eschew music.Charles Babbage was a pioneering mathematician of the 19th century, who arguably designed the first modern computer. http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/Babbage.htmlLady Lovelace wrote that Babbage hated music. He tolerated its more exquisite forms, but abhorred it as practiced on the street. "Those whose minds are entirely unoccupied", he wrote with some seriousness in Observations of Street Nuisances in 1864, "receive [street music] with satisfaction, as filling up the vacuum of time". He calculated that 25% of his working power had been destroyed by street nuisances, many of them intentional. Letters to the Times and the eventual enforcement of "Babbage's Act", which would squelch street nuisances, made him the target of ridicule.The public tormented him with an unending parade of fiddlers, Punch-and-Judys, stilt-walkers, fanatic psalmists, and tub-thumpers. Some neighbors hired musicians to play outside his windows. Others willfully annoyed him with worn-out or damaged wind instruments. Placards were hung in local shops, abusing him. During one 80-day period Babbage counted 165 nuisances. One brass band played for five hours, with only a brief intermission. Another blew a penny tin whistle out his window toward Babbage's garden for a half and hour daily, for "many months".When Babbage went out, children followed and cursed him. Adults followed, too, but at a distance. Over a hundred people once skulked behind him before he could find a constable to disperse them. Dead cats and other "offensive materials" were thrown at his house. Windows were broken. A man told him, "You deserve to have your house burnt up, and yourself in it, and I will do it for you, you old villain". Even when he was on his deathbed, the organ-grinders ground implacably away. Is this the reality of Christian cultures? Do Christians argue that people who don't like music deserve to burn in Hell?

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
[quote name='Christina;73951]Islam is a false religion are you guys paying attention ? There is one way to salvation that is Jesus Christ why on earth would you think a religion who preach that Jesus is a servant to another messiah is OK ...We do not worship Allah Qur'an 5:17"Verily they are disbelievers and infidels who say' date=' 'The Messiah, son of Mary, is God.'" Qur'an 5:17"...Say (Muhammad): 'Who then has the least power against Allah, if His will were to destroy Christ, the Messiah, the son of Mary, his mother, and everyone else on earth?" Qur'an 4:171"O People of the Book! Do not exaggerate in your religion; nor speak lies of Allah. [B']The Messiah, Christ Jesus, the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah[/B], and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a Spirit proceeding from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not 'Trinity.' Cease and Desist: (it is) better for you: for Allah is one Ilah (God). (Far it is removed from him of) having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs. The Messiah is proud to be a slave of Allah, as are the angels, those nearest. Those who disdain His worship and are arrogant. Qur'an 4:159"And there is none of the People of the Book but will believe in him (Jesus as only a messenger of Allah and a human being) before his (Jesus') death. He will be a witness against them accepting this religion and their god as your God will buy you a ticket to hell. Anyone bother to read the first commandment ??[/QUOTE]Amen Christina!

gumby

May 29, 2009
Music can be wonderfull praise to god but as far as islam goes i agree with christina. Its false and people need to stay away from it, Judges 10:14, Exodus 20:23, Exodus 23:13 and Leviticus 19:4.

GuyMartin

Oct 21, 2009
Amen Christina.You are right we tend to take our eyes off the word and in some instances make our own interpretation of it.BTW A song of praise is like a prayer...I don't think there's time limit to it...Blessings..

haplotype

Oct 19, 2009
So what you're saying is that Christians are forced by their faith into "liking" music, just as Muslims are forced to "like" beards or burqas. Neither faith is truly free, but its followers will argue that their music/beards/burqas "liberated" them.

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
[quote name='haplotype;73969]So what you're saying is that Christians are forced by their faith into "liking" music' date=' just as Muslims are forced to "like" beards or burqas. Neither faith is truly free, but its followers will argue that their music/beards/burqas "liberated" them.[/QUOTE']I like music because it sounds good, i have a beard because i'm to lazy to shave, and i don't know what a burqas is but if you meant bluegrass i like it too.

kay-gee

Oct 23, 2009
Hi everyone. I just wanted to say to the original poster that we in The churches of Christ do not use musical instruments in our worship. We do sing as per the commandments of Col 3:16 and Eph 5:19, but we sing congregationally and acapella. No choirs. no soloists. A typical service might include 4 or 5 hymns. Probably more or less according to the desire of the particular congregation.all the best...

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
[quote name='haplotype;73969]So what you're saying is that Christians are forced by their faith into "liking" music' date=' just as Muslims are forced to "like" beards or burqas. Neither faith is truly free, but its followers will argue that their music/beards/burqas "liberated" them.[/QUOTE']I have read your three posts here and still don't know what you are talking about. Who's forcing anyone to do anything? ????

GuyMartin

Oct 21, 2009
If you are forced into going to church....it might be you are at the wrong place..I mean wrong church or denomination....the most important is that you can worship the Lord with all your heart....Might also be good to read Psalm.

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
haplotype;73942]I would rather be a Christian than a Muslim said:
I would suggest that you visit a Church of Christ denomination near where you live, some of the denominations (not sects) add music as part of their worship and some do not, for instance my favorite minister and spiritual writer is a preacher by the name of Max Lucado, you may have heard of him , he is the minister of The Oak Hills Church of Christ in San Antonio, Tx. and I do believe they play music during their services.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
kay-gee;73984]Hi everyone. I just wanted to say to the original poster that we in The churches of Christ do not use musical instruments in our worship. We do sing as per the commandments of Col 3:16 and Eph 5:19 said:
Hi Kay-gee, What's up buddy?

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
You are going from one extreme to another!Christianity is more than a message, it's a life motivated by joy and love.These verses have already been referred to:Eph:5:19: Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;Col:3:16: Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.I would add:"thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel." (Ps.22:3)Instruments were always a part of worship and there is nothing in the NT to say that should stop."Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord." (Ps.150)To people that say the NT doesn't specifically mention instruments therefore we shouldn't use . . . do you forbid the use of cars and computers, oh and electric light?Anyway, the NT *does*:Rev. 5:8: And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, Rev. 14:2: And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:You are right to want orderly meetings though.Please have a close read on 1 Corinthians 14 . .. 1Cor. 14:37: If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.Few churches do what it says there!!In our meetings we have:spiritual songspersonal testimonybible-based talk (words of wisdom and knowledge)cracker and grape juice ("bread and wine", sundays only)2 or 3 gifts of tongues, each followed by a gift of interpretation2 or 3 propheciesprayer for needs (gifts of faith and healing)closing hymn and fellowship

kay-gee

Oct 23, 2009
TallMan said:
You are going from one extreme to another!

Christianity is more than a message, it's a life motivated by joy and love.

These verses have already been referred to:

Eph:5:19: Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Col:3:16: Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

I would add:
"thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel." (Ps.22:3)

Instruments were always a part of worship and there is nothing in the NT to say that should stop.

"Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord." (Ps.150)

To people that say the NT doesn't specifically mention instruments therefore we shouldn't use . . . do you forbid the use of cars and computers, oh and electric light?

Anyway, the NT *does*:
Rev. 5:8: And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps,

Rev. 14:2: And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:

You are right to want orderly meetings though.
Please have a close read on 1 Corinthians 14 . ..
1Cor. 14:37: If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Few churches do what it says there!!

In our meetings we have:
spiritual songs
personal testimony
bible-based talk (words of wisdom and knowledge)
cracker and grape juice ("bread and wine", sundays only)
2 or 3 gifts of tongues, each followed by a gift of interpretation
2 or 3 prophecies
prayer for needs (gifts of faith and healing)
closing hymn and fellowship

People always talk about cars and electric lights. What do they have to do with anything. It is sort of a ridiculous statement. Were talking about articles of worship, not the conviences of a modern world.

You are wrong on a few things. First of all instruments have NOT always been in worship. Instruments were unheard of in the Christian church for nine centuries. Calvin and Luther both were against instruments in worship. There is no mention of instruments in the writings of the church fathers, (first wave of post-apostolic Christians).

Why don't we add steak and potatoes to the Lords supper? Nothing in scripture says we CAN'T. right?
We believe in Churches of Christ believe we have no command in New Testament for instruments. We are commanded to sing. The melody is to be made in the heart.

all the best...

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
We have no command in the New Testment to celebrate the Lords birth either , why don't we stop that.

kay-gee

Oct 23, 2009
bigdummy said:
We have no command in the New Testment to celebrate the Lords birth either , why don't we stop that.

Hello Bigdummy. Excellent point. There is no command in New Testament to observe Christmas or any of the so-called holy days. The Churches of Christ make no religious observation of Christmas. By this I mean no special Christmas services or music etc...However, that being said, it is up to individuals how they deal with the holiday in their own homes, as celebrating is not a wrong thing in and of itself.

all the best...

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
"Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God," (Col. 3:16). Also, "And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, [sup]19[/sup]speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord," (Eph. 5:18).We are commanded by the Lord to receive teaching and admonish each other with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing to God. Singing to God is definitely worship and this is done in churches. Therefore,we are commanded to do this with psalm, hymns, and spiritual songs.

In particular, the Psalms contain instructions that we worship the Lord with musical instruments:
  • The introduction of Psalm 6, which is part of scripture, not anaddition by commentators, says, "For the choir director; with stringed instruments, upon an eight-string lyre, A Psalm of David."
  • Psalm 33:2, "Give thanks to the Lord with the lyre; sing praises to Him with a harp of ten strings."
  • Psalm 71:22,"I will also praise Thee with a harp, even Thy truth, O my God; to Thee I will sing praises with the lyre, O Thou Holy One of Israel."
  • Psalm 81:1, "Sing for joy to God our strength; shout joyfully to the God of Jacob. [sup]2[/sup]Raise a song, strike the timbrel, the sweet sounding lyre with the harp. [sup]3[/sup]Blow the trumpet at the new moon, at the full moon, on our feast day."
  • Psalm 92:1-4, "It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Thy name, O Most High; [sup]2[/sup]To declare Thy loving kindness in the morning, and Thy faithfulness by night, [sup]3[/sup]With the ten-stringed lute, and with the harp; with resounding music upon the lyre. [sup]4[/sup]For Thou, O Lord, hast made me glad by what Thou hast done, I will sing for joy at the works of Thy hands."
  • Psalm 98:5, "Sing praises to the Lord with the lyre; with the lyre and the sound of melody. [sup]6[/sup]With trumpets and the sound of the horn. Shout joyfully before the King, the Lord."
Furthermore, in Eph 5:19,the phrase "making melody" is the Greek word, psallo which means, "1)to pluck off, pull out, 2) to cause to vibrate by touching, to twang,2a) to touch or strike the chord, to twang the strings of a musical instrument so that they gently vibrate, 2b) to play on a stringed instrument, to play, the harp, etc. 2c) to sing to the music of the harp 2d) in the NT to sing a hymn, to celebrate the praises of God in song."1 We can see that the making melody to the Lord involves the use of musical instruments.
Therefore, we are free to use musical instruments in the church in our worship to the Lord.

http://www.carm.org/questions/about-church/can-we-use-musical-instruments-church