Anyone heard of The Zone in Phoenix, Arizona?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just watched a current video of The Zone (huge homeless encampment) in Phoenix.

It's the first time I've heard of it. Anyone else ever hear of it?

The temperature was 110 degrees Fahrenheit. A good many homeless were interviewed. Most were homeless because of drug use.

I never realized so many homeless would take up residence in Phoenix because of the intense desert heat. In the Summer it's enough to bake your brain.

The vlogger did see one "cooling center" which was a tent, about the size of a room. But it was rather far from The Zone, so they only had 8 people visit that day....whereas The Zone is jam packed with people.

A community group was trying to get an elderly woman (late 70's) to go with them for help. The woman was taking fentanyl that day.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just watched a current video of The Zone (huge homeless encampment) in Phoenix.

The temperature was 110 degrees Fahrenheit. A good many homeless were interviewed. Most were homeless because of drug use.

I never realized so many homeless would take up residence in Phoenix because of the intense desert heat. In the Summer it's enough to bake your brain.

The vlogger did see one "cooling center" which was a tent, about the size of a room. But it was rather far from The Zone, so they only had 8 people visit that day....whereas The Zone is jam packed with people.

A community group was trying to get an elderly woman (late 70's) to go with them for help. The woman was taking fentanyl that day.
Hadn’t heard that name, but pretty sure every major city has large encampment of homeless.
It’s a strange phenomenon, that the government can use technology to spy, infiltrate, apprehend, etc. American citizens, but not stop the influx of drugs that are quickly creating Cess pools, diseasing and killing people in America.
Oh Wait…Less we forget the Biden Legacy of being on board with the UN and WEF Population Downsizing Agenda and doing his part with Perpetuating Open Border Invasions of Foreign People, Criminals and Street Drugs!

Sad and Disgusting.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The homeless problem is interesting. Here's a book I read on the subject.

Amazon.com

Ever Wonder What it Would Be Like to Live Homeless?

Mike Yankoski did more than just wonder. By his own choice, Mike's life went from upper-middle class plush to scum-of-the-earth repulsive overnight. With only a backpack, a sleeping bag and a guitar, Mike and his traveling companion, Sam, set out to experience life on the streets in six different cities—from Washington D.C. to San Diego— and they put themselves to the test.

For more than five months the pair experienced firsthand the extreme pains of hunger, the constant uncertainty and danger of living on the streets, exhaustion, depression, and social rejection—and all of this by their own choice. They wanted to find out if their faith was real, if they could actually be the Christians they said they were apart from the comforts they’d always known…to discover first hand what it means to be homeless in America. What you encounter in these pages will radically alter how you see your world—and may even change your life.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not familiar with those initials, can you explain? Thanks.

When the community group was so close to the elderly woman who had used Fentanyl that day, I thought they could be in deadly danger. Only a tiny speck of that can kill I think. They were trying to get her into the car to take her somewhere.

I was hearing yesterday about the flood of illegal immigrants that are in Chicago.

Before it was just New York City being mentioned. Talking about floods, NYC had flooding due to the deluge of rain recently. I wonder how the homeless including those from the border fared in that?

Texas has sent us (Los Angeles) 20 bus loads of illegal immigrants so far. A church is helping them.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn't familiar with this huge encampment in Phoenix.
A quick search brought videos about the government "clean up" plan.
Interesting that human need and misfortune is viewed as a dirt mess to be cleaned up.

Maybe they should just run some construction excavator equipment through the camp
and scoop them all up with front-loaders into dump trucks that they can haul out into the dessert and bury.
That seems to be the attitude toward these folks. Human garbage, ready for the dumpster.

"But SteVen," you may say, "... there's filth and drugs and violence to clean up!"
Sure, but can we put ourselves in their conditions for a moment?

Fortunately Phoenix was offering to help these people, and even listened to them.
And granted, area businesses were suffering. So yes, it needed to be dealt with.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A quick search brought videos about the government "clean up" plan

I wasn't sure if I should post the video I saw....drug use, threatening behavior, etc. Some forums are more particular about such videos.

But it was a vlogger and his friend that interviewed the homeless in The Zone.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to work as a delivery driver. I saw people with cardboard signs at busy intersections.
And the sightings were reaching farther and farther into the suburbs.

I used to bring a handful of granola bars with me in my lunch tote so that I could feed them.
I'm a songwriter. So I wrote a song in the first person. As if I was the one on the corner.

https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522%2Fdirty-man-030320

Reactions: Nancy and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P.S. Los Angeles tries to help the homeless and get them housing, too. But some don't want the help.

When the city was going to clean up a park nearby, the councilman found housing for nearly 300 that lived in the park. The others apparently didn't want to get help.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn't sure if I should post the video I saw....drug use, threatening behavior, etc. Some forums are more particular about such videos.

But it was a vlogger and his friend that interviewed the homeless in The Zone.
I think it should be okay. Use your best judgment.

On my delivery route I chose a homeless man as mine to take care of when I stopped there.
He sat in the doorway of a closed store. It was a freezing cold day. I was running to get back to the warmth of my car
and imagined how cold he must have been. So I offered to buy him a hot cup of coffee at the Starbucks next door.
I introduced myself and he gave me his name, I offered to bring him coffee if wanted, and asked how he liked it.
Cream and sugar. I bought him the largest size I could get.

I made a point of greeting Rick when I stopped there and usually offered him a granola bar to eat.

If we all do a little bit, we could help. WWJD?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P.S. Los Angeles tries to help the homeless and get them housing, too. But some don't want the help.

When the city was going to clean up a park nearby, the councilman found housing for nearly 300 that lived in the park. The others apparently didn't want to get help.
Makes you wonder why they refuse help.
Perhaps some of them got help earlier and didn't like how they were treated.
Or they just want to be left alone. It's good that they have a choice.
And that some are being helped to get back on their feet.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps some of them got help earlier and didn't like how they were treated.
Or they just want to be left alone. It's good that they have a choice.
And that some are being helped to get back on their feet.
I asked the one-legged lady who panhandles for spare change down by the gas station if she'd tried the Rescue Mission (a ministry I've supported both with money and my hands). She said she didn't like their rules. (And they would take away all her "stuff"; I didn't press her for what that "stuff" was.) Similar answer from the lady who preferred a dangerous life in the homeless camp in the woods by the freeway entrance ramp and begging in the church parking lot to a structured life in a safe place with a roof over her head and three squares a day. Didn't like all the rules.

So, it's also about freedom.

Even if "The Rules" are there to help you and protect the others around you. May God bless our prodigal children.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not familiar with those initials, can you explain? Thanks.
World Economic Forum…Yearly meet up by invitation only, (primarily invitees are Uber wealthy, world kings, and others influential persons who hopefully may be convinced to support WORLD Population Downsizing through the Economy Angle) headed up by German Klaus Schwab proponent of roundup encampments, exterminations, male and female separations in labor encampments.

When the community group was so close to the elderly woman who had used Fentanyl that day, I thought they could be in deadly danger. Only a tiny speck of that can kill I think. They were trying to get her into the car to take her somewhere.

I was hearing yesterday about the flood of illegal immigrants that are in Chicago.

Before it was just New York City being mentioned. Talking about floods, NYC had flooding due to the deluge of rain recently. I wonder how the homeless including those from the border fared in that?

Texas has sent us (Los Angeles) 20 bus loads of illegal immigrants so far. A church is helping them.
The Border States have been taking the BRUNT of dealing with illegal crossings for years. Biden being the Face of Preaching to the WORLD, the US Border is Open 24-7, for ANYONE to enter and BE HANDED harboring, food, water, necessities, FREE for them, and the American Taxpayer Force-handed the Cost.

While the Biden admin. DID arrange (under cover of NIGHT) several AIR Lines to FLY illegals to Specific destinations….(not in his back yard)…
Bordering States Have taken measures to;
Bus illegals TO his backyard (Biden’s Dems political supporters, who routinely badmouthed the Border States unwelcoming attitude against illegals.)
And oh, oh….now the Dem controlled cities getting a taste of being invaded with illegals are whining.

Reactions: Debp

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it should be okay. Use your best judgment.

On my delivery route I chose a homeless man as mine to take care of when I stopped there.
He sat in the doorway of a closed store. It was a freezing cold day. I was running to get back to the warmth of my car
and imagined how cold he must have been. So I offered to buy him a hot cup of coffee at the Starbucks next door.
I introduced myself and he gave me his name, I offered to bring him coffee if wanted, and asked how he liked it.
Cream and sugar. I bought him the largest size I could get.

I made a point of greeting Rick when I stopped there and usually offered him a granola bar to eat.

If we all do a little bit, we could help. WWJD?
WWJD?

The same what He DID…

Feed them fish and bread WHILE he was FEEDING them the TRUTH.

EVERYONE ATE the food…and MANY walked away, rejecting Hearing His Truth.

Did He go with FOOD in Hand Searching for them to give them more FOOD? No.

The KEY was…is…THEY coming to WHERE it was announced HE WOULD BE. They could go, stay or leave. Leaving meant, on your own.

The KEY was…is…THERE ARE missions, shelters, and the SAME thing. They can go, stay or leave. Leaving means, on your own.

And the Government Programs, PAID FOR BY forced select taxpayer citizens…and Handed to select qualified citizens..NOT ONLY…food, water, housing, transportation, but also. phones, computers, drugs, needles, land to squat on, and in some cases street showers…and a taxpayer funded clean up crew of their garbage, urine and feces…you know, still implying America the Beautiful…when in reality it’s becoming a cesspool.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I tried to suggest to one homeless person here to go down to the state office and get a food card to survive. He just said "I don't need state help" and went on his way getting money from cars that come by.

Reactions: Debp

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tried to suggest to one homeless person here to go down to the state office and get a food card to survive. He just said "I don't need state help" and went on his way getting money from cars that come by.
He might have a better income than you do. And doesn't want to jeopardize it with government meddling.

It was VERY kind of you to offer him help though. Did you remember to give him something of value?

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Some are using drugs or selling drugs so they won't go to a place set up to house them.
Some are mentally ill.

I remember the "Subway Singer" here in Los Angeles. She became famous after a police officer posted a video of her singing in the subway station. Her voice was absolutely gorgeous!

She was on the news for weeks. Someone got her a one day singing job at an Italian fair.

I think two record producers wanted to sign her to a record contract!!! I never heard of her again so I looked her up on the Internet. Apparently she never showed up at the meeting with the really famous record producer. In another article she said she wanted to keep feeding the pigeons at the same time each day.

If only she had let the music producer help her...

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some are using drugs or selling drugs so they won't go to a place set up to house them.
Some are mentally ill.

I remember the "Subway Singer" here in Los Angeles. She became famous after a police officer posted a video of her singing in the subway station. Her voice was absolutely gorgeous!

She was on the news for weeks. Someone got her a one day singing job at an Italian fair.

I think two record producers wanted to sign her to a record contract!!! I never heard of her again so I looked her up on the Internet. Apparently she never showed up at the meeting with the really famous record producer. In another article she said she wanted to keep feeding the pigeons at the same time each day.

If only she had let the music producer help her...

Well fame and fortune may not be the way to heaven. If she's happy and doesn't cause problems than good for her. I don't want to live homeless and I have been homeless before. Not pleasant.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I live in Phoenix. I don't go near The Zone nowadays, the crime in the area makes it unwise, particularly after dark. Some of that crime stems from the homeless, but a larger part of it is just where it's located within the city.

Phoenix has a few neighborhoods where the police basically won't show up for anything less than murder. Van Buren Avenue has long been a hotbed for prostitution and drug sales. The area between 19th and 27th avenues on the west side is also populated by drug dealers, and a lot of meth-zombies. And the Zone is located at the convergence of these two strips of rottenness.

Anyway, I spent a couple of years volunteering once a week at an outreach feeding homeless in that area. That's been probably 15 years ago. It wasn't called the Zone back then. Also spent a couple more years at the downtown YMCA, feeding and teaching adult Sunday school.

There are basically 3 reasons these people are homeless:

(1) Mental Illness,
(2) Drug Abuse or Alcoholism, or
(3) They Want to be Homeless.

The first problem has been caused by the closing of mental health institutes and asylums across America. The linked article is pretty tame and slightly left-leaning. There's a whole conspiracy theory about how this was done purposefully and with ill-intent. And more and more conspiracy theories seem to be turning out to be true...

Anyway, I stopped trying to work with the homeless. It wasn't impactful. The type of help the mentally ill and drug-addicted need isn't something I can provide. And the ones who want to live on the streets... they don't want a hand up, they just want their hand-outs and they get quite cranky when you try to do more than that.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well fame and fortune may not be the way to heaven. If she's happy and doesn't cause problems than good for her. I don't want to live homeless and I have been homeless before. Not pleasant.

The "subway singer" was laying on cardboard at night as her mattress. Apparently feeding the pigeons each day and riding around on the subway.

It was sad that she didn't show up for the meeting with the record producer....he really wanted to record an album for her.

The public did raise money for her with a GoFundMe page....I don't think that would last long in high rent Los Angeles. A career would have been so helpful to her.

Reactions: dev553344