Anyone interested in genealogy family trees and DNA?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was not sure where to put this re genealogy and dna however it is an interest and activity I did pursue mainly to see if I could prove passed down family stories. It work and has been a fun adventure into bloodlines. Helped answer where I came from what parts of the world, and of course pursuing things on stories of both my husband and myself. Does anyone else do or have these type interests?

• Love
Reactions: TheHC and Mr E

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter started doing this about five years ago, she has traced quite a way back. Also with the DNA . Recently the 1928 census was released to the public here in the U.K., although it’s annoying because you can only access it through ancestors.com and you have to pay for it ( which I think is all wrong ) We also have ‘ The keep ‘ near to us and they store all the old records and newspapers - which is fascinating.
So how do you do it in the US, do you use ancestory.com?
I am presuming that many people descend from Europe and the U.K. ?

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My daughter started doing this about five years ago, she has traced quite a way back. Also with the DNA . Recently the 1928 census was released to the public here in the U.K., although it’s annoying because you can only access it through ancestors.com and you have to pay for it ( which I think is all wrong ) We also have ‘ The keep ‘ near to us and they store all the old records and newspapers - which is fascinating.
So how do you do it in the US, do you use ancestory.com?
I am presuming that many people descend from Europe and the U.K. ?
Yes Rita, both myself and my husband were listed as 100% Europe within the 5 generation like you do with Ancestry.com and yes that is where I put the family tree. Ancestry runs specials for a 6 month which I get off and on to work further on the genealogy. You then open up that Europe and it has the breakdowns from everywhere. Did you do your dna at ancestry?

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter did, we originate from Scotland, Ireland and Sweden. So did you originate from the criminals that were sent over to the US, or the pilgrims that settled there. I didn’t realise that we sent criminals to the US first and then later to Australia

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My daughter did, we originate from Scotland, Ireland and Sweden. So did you originate from the criminals that were sent over to the US, or the pilgrims that settled there. I didn’t realise that we sent criminals to the US first and then later to Australia
I don't think so nothing has shown up.. but I wanted info on my dad's house, scripturaly that is the house I am from, so I asked my brother to do the way back dna which is ydna for the male to see what showed up. Then cause of family stories of my husbands male side, I was told it was Jewish from Lithuania and we had no clue, his grandpa was Christian. So asked him to do a ydna, now wow the info on that blew me away... haha Our sons carrying the same of course.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It’s quite interesting finding out. Obviously because it was my daughter doing it she was looking into her dads and mine. Her dad’s family were quite full of rogues, my side was less eventful. We did discover family in Argentina and we have since made contact with them, my dad’s grandfather went out there to build the railways and married someone else, while he was married to someone here !!!!!!
How about you , have you made any interesting connections ?

• Wow
Reactions: Ritajanice

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s quite interesting finding out. Obviously because it was my daughter doing it she was looking into her dads and mine. Her dad’s family were quite full of rogues, my side was less eventful. We did discover family in Argentina and we have since made contact with them, my dad’s grandfather went out there to build the railways and married someone else, while he was married to someone here !!!!!!
How about you , have you made any interesting connections ?
Yes made several connections. Found some interesting things with dna there. Found out my dad's mom's father was adopted it was dna that helped me uncover it. Plus found out he was married before my grandma's siblings ... found out he had married had 4 children at birth of 4th his wife died. He later married grandma's mom had more children, so half siblings are out there.

My dad's paternal line was Swiss and went back quite far with church records from Neunkirch, Switzerland and got in contact with a cousin from there a math science dude haha he worked for CERN. That was interesting and my family there for years. So yes some interesting things with my family. Also in me 2% Ashkenazi Jewish even in me showed up and same for my brother who did the ydna for me it showed up for him also. So surprised me there just things my side of the family.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That’s so interesting - I know I have enjoyed hearing the connections and insights with our family. I don’t know about you but I wish I had talked to my grand parents more , found out things , and my mum and dad. Sadly all gone now.
So will you try and find out more about the half siblings and their families. It’s quite time consuming , my daughter does it as a hobby. I think I would get a bit confused trying to connect people x

Reactions: TheHC and Cyd

Anonymous 1

May 6, 2024
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My family came over around 1775 according to Ancestry. Now whether criminals or pilgrims, I have a few of each group....lol
Screenshot_20240506-120638~3.pngScreenshot_20240506-115914~3.png

Reactions: Rita

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s so interesting - I know I have enjoyed hearing the connections and insights with our family. I don’t know about you but I wish I had talked to my grand parents more , found out things , and my mum and dad. Sadly all gone now.S
So will you try and find out more about the half siblings and their families. It’s quite time consuming , my daughter does it as a hobby. I think I would get a bit confused trying to connect people x
I have not been real detailed... putting all siblings from way back in the lines... just mainly wanted to see where the main line went and any stories from that. My mothers, mom's mom and farther back on that line men from back there went way back one line had kings in it went way back to like 100 AD (CE) So that was all very interesting. I love messing with it...

On my husband though, with his ydna it goes way way back... we proved family saying of jewish bloodlines he was 26% and here they have new tools at familytreedna and it showed connected to the royal house of Jordan and house of Saud and forget some of the others need to now research the other names they had... so that was a new feature... but he had from the beginning got the Cohen haplotype which of the Levite priesthood they say from Aaron. They say Jewish people dna have 75% of them have mid eastern bloodlines in them. So just found that out had not looked at it in years.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s so interesting - I know I have enjoyed hearing the connections and insights with our family. I don’t know about you but I wish I had talked to my grand parents more , found out things , and my mum and dad. Sadly all gone now.
Try joining this group and then connecting yourself to them...

Reactions: TheHC and Cyd

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Try joining this group and then connecting yourself to them...

Thank you xxxxx

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you xxxxx
Rita, not to be out done by amadeus, try out :

It is free and you will need to setup a username and password. It is the oldest genealogy org of any worth from the US, and has extensive British Isles data. It is part of the LDS Mormon folks, as their religion requires them to 'seal' themselves with ancestors....
I've been using them since they only had microfiche records...over 30 years now...got about 35k names, and many of them sourced by them.

Hope it helps...

Last edited:

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I grew up knowing my family tree, so in grade 3 i remember asking other kids where did their lot come from and no one knew at all, not even in grade 10 did they know.

But i have looked into such for many years and have come to this conclusion, that one can only go back 3 generations with any real regard to who you are from in part ?
I am not my Father and i am not my mother ? i am me ! period ! I am not my brothers or Sister, i am me ! period !
What the past and present kin did, has no bearing on me realy.
I watch the shows of one looking into their past forefathers etc and they may look back 6 to 10 generations and have great emotions over just one dude ? but so what ! it's nothing to do with you your self in fact !

I could boast that i am related back to a King of Denmark ! but so what ! yes i know what and who my mothers side were going back, but so what ! it's not me !

If my kin do well i am happy for them !
But i know one brother who would not be happy for me if i was better off then him in fact ! he would be off his rocker with rage, as he hates anything if he knows i am better than him in. i do not know why he is like that but my other bro and sister is not like him at all that way. other than that he is fine.

Regarding to Race ? well my Danish side is from everywhere in Westen Europe ! and then one could look back into all of the ones who do not get counted as direct, like each Tree from every person that came from all the way back even 3 generations or more that made up them all.

So i do not see the point of going back past 3 generations being worthy in any way truly worthy of mentioning, but for that you are part % of one going back more than 3 generations yourself.

The thing is we are all related some what to each other be it 1% if that maybe. even most blacks are related to whites nowadays.
But i have seen many a time on such shows that some black has a hizzy fit thet they thought that they were blacker than they are in fact, for they have a real ego trip about being black. not to mention one was related to a bastard Jew who was the main man for stealing blacks from Africa and selling them in fact ! and she was a real crazy nut case radical blacks for blacks etc BS Racial prejudice froot loop. If a white person ranted like that one would think such was in the KKK. but such clearly get away with being such a moron.

Not to mention the Aboriginals here in Australia have been led to belive that they are still Aboriginals, even if they are 90% white in fact.
Aboriginal means that you are the original inhabitant of the Land in fact. so the 90% other that they are does not mean a cracker to them ? they have given up on that side ! for they are claiming more rights then the 100% pure blood Aboriginal in fact !

I am about stop living a Lie ! and just be you. not what you peddle you think you are.

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Rita
I have used both wikitree and the LDS familysearch for genealogy I just prefer the ease of ancestry plus with doing my dna at ancestry and them being the largest in the world I got much better results. Now at familysearch I found my husbands grandmother's birth so got a real dad's name as they never married and her husband adopted his grandmother. So a great key was found there in their records.

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I grew up knowing my family tree, so in grade 3 i remember asking other kids where did their lot come from and no one knew at all, not even in grade 10 did they know.

But i have looked into such for many years and have come to this conclusion, that one can only go back 3 generations with any real regard to who you are from in part ?
I am not my Father and i am not my mother ? i am me ! period ! I am not my brothers or Sister, i am me ! period !
What the past and present kin did, has no bearing on me realy.
I watch the shows of one looking into their past forefathers etc and they may look back 6 to 10 generations and have great emotions over just one dude ? but so what ! it's nothing to do with you your self in fact !

I could boast that i am related back to a King of Denmark ! but so what ! yes i know what and who my mothers side were going back, but so what ! it's not me !

If my kin do well i am happy for them !
But i know one brother who would not be happy for me if i was better off then him in fact ! he would be off his rocker with rage, as he hates anything if he knows i am better than him in. i do not know why he is like that but my other bro and sister is not like him at all that way. other than that he is fine.

Regarding to Race ? well my Danish side is from everywhere in Westen Europe ! and then one could look back into all of the ones who do not get counted as direct, like each Tree from every person that came from all the way back even 3 generations or more that made up them all.

So i do not see the point of going back past 3 generations being worthy in any way truly worthy of mentioning, but for that you are part % of one going back more than 3 generations yourself.

The thing is we are all related some what to each other be it 1% if that maybe. even most blacks are related to whites nowadays.
But i have seen many a time on such shows that some black has a hizzy fit thet they thought that they were blacker than they are in fact, for they have a real ego trip about being black. not to mention one was related to a bastard Jew who was the main man for stealing blacks from Africa and selling them in fact ! and she was a real crazy nut case radical blacks for blacks etc BS Racial prejudice froot loop. If a white person ranted like that one would think such was in the KKK. but such clearly get away with being such a moron.

Not to mention the Aboriginals here in Australia have been led to belive that they are still Aboriginals, even if they are 90% white in fact.
Aboriginal means that you are the original inhabitant of the Land in fact. so the 90% other that they are does not mean a cracker to them ? they have given up on that side ! for they are claiming more rights then the 100% pure blood Aboriginal in fact !

I am about stop living a Lie ! and just be you. not what you peddle you think you are.
Genealogy is not for everyone and it is usually the women that get more into the activity. I asked the Lord about it myself and the Lord gave me 2 words I did look up.. "remember ancestors" well there is just one verse to me regarding it.

Lev 26:45 But I will for their sakes remember the covenant of their ancestors, whom I brought forth out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the heathen, that I might be their God: I am the Lord

So since that was from the Lord I continued my searching. I was amazed at it.. now the 2% ashkenazi didn't show up on me at ancestry.. they have changed and keep changing dna results I uploaded my ancestry file to familytreedna and it is there it showed up just as my brother had.

I don't agree how they do dna... the way it is done.. lets use Moses and Aaron... both same parents so 100% Jew they both were.. yet Aaron married another Jew and Moses married a priests daughter from Ethiopia .. their sons according to how dna is done.. Aarons sons would be 100% Jew and Moses sons only 50%.. I don't think God does it that way... both would have 100% on sons. So I did study some on dna.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Rita
Remember I mentioned familytreedna where I had my husband do his YDNA for the male bloodlines of the house. Well this new thing they put out they allow to share a link, I am sure to show people to get them interested in doing a YDNA. I will put the link here for you to see it, of course we only believe the earth to be about 6000 years old they don't. See if you can view it for me... I sent the link to my husband as I manage them all and he could see it.. let me know if you can see this new feature familytreedna has.

Welcome to FamilyTreeDNA Discover

@Mr E thought you might like to see it too since it is a man's ydna thing they don't have it for women.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita, not to be out done by amadeus, try out :

It is free and you will need to setup a username and password. It is the oldest genealogy org of any worth from the US, and has extensive British Isles data. It is part of the LDS Mormon folks, as their religion requires them to 'seal' themselves with ancestors....
I've been using them since they only had microfiche records...over 30 years now...got about 35k names, and many of them sourced by them.

Hope it helps...
I belonged to that one as well, but I had trouble with the LDS groups. Twice, when I let my connection set for long periods of time they dropped me and I was unable to reobtain from them all of my information. The second time I tried them I had been wiser and saved all of my information to my own computer. While I still retain my membership with Family Search, I use Wiki as my primary one. I keep copies of everything offline in my computer. I have never had trouble with Wiki even though I have left it untouched for sometimes many months at the time. It is too much work to lose it all because I have not used it for a while.

Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I belonged to that one as well, but I had trouble with the LDS groups. Twice, when I let my connection set for long periods of time they dropped me and I was unable to reobtain from them all of my information. The second time I tried them I had been wiser and saved all of my information to my own computer. While I still retain my membership with Family Search, I use Wiki as my primary one. I keep copies of everything offline in my computer. I have never had trouble with Wiki even though I have left it untouched for sometimes many months at the time. It is too much work to lose it all because I have not used it for a while.
You must be speaking about being online, connected to their site, some 20 years ago, when their online services were not that robust? I can log in today and stay logged in for weeks on end if forget to sign off. Had no issues at all.

I also use a genealogy tool to import my data immediately as I find the data useful.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You must be speaking about being online, connected to their site, some 20 years ago, when their online services were not that robust? I can log in today and stay logged in for weeks on end if forget to sign off. Had no issues at all.

I also use a genealogy tool to import my data immediately as I find the data useful.
Yes, it was that many years ago. When I get into genealogy now [not often anymore], I frequently use more than one, including Family Search and Ancestry.com