Anyone Up For A Bible Q&A!!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mark wasn't there, only Peter, James and John. Mark wasn't even one of the disciples.

32 Then they came to a place which was named Gethsemane; and He said to His disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” 33 And He took Peter, James, and John with Him, and He began to be troubled and deeply distressed.

I did a bible study on it!! do dis, read book of mark!! its the only book dat has the account of jesus's prayer to the father and exactly wat he said 2 him!! none of the other books hav it, he was there in the mount of olives probly spying on jesus as he prayed dats why he was also there also at the time of the roman guards, he was young at the time!!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did a bible study on it!! do dis, read book of mark!! its the only book dat has the account of jesus's prayer to the father and exactly wat he said 2 him!! none of the other books hav it, he was there in the mount of olives probly spying on jesus as he prayed dats why he was also there also at the time of the roman guards, he was young at the time!!

Do a little more study on the author of Mark. Mark received his information from Peter. Peter was there; Mark wasn't.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is only one interpretation for every inspired scripture of God. That is what we must seek out.
The Jews say there are four ways to look at Scripture: The simple literal way, by hints and allusions, by the deeper meaning, and finally the esoteric hidden meaning. Some even say since there were 600,000 of Israel who left Egypt, there are 600,000 valid interpretations of the Torah.

Take the simple commandment to love your neighbor as yourself. First, each person must ask how he loves himself. Then he has to figure out who his neighbor is. God created us all unique, and the Scriptures take that into account.

I also ask how can all Scripture be profitable for doctrine? Many people would say they believe that, but they surely fail to practice it at times when they fall into a literal rendering only and ignore what it may mean for doctrine.

I also ask where is the Love? Jesus said the Torah and Prophets were all about Love. Can we read them, ignoring what Jesus said and be content with the literal or superficial interpretation -- or do we need to keep digging. I'll paraphrase Maimonides who said we should not read the Scriptures as if they were a mere collection of facts. I agree. If we want facts, we could read encyclopedias, science journals or even phone books. The Bible is more than facts then. They are meant to instruct us in more than facts.

Perhaps some things aren't even facts -- and it might not matter. Is it really true that Joseph had a coat of many colors? I think it probably is true. But why is it included in the Bible? Why tell us about it? If there is a moral lesson to be learned from the story, it's more important to get the doctrine than to believe in the "fact" that he had such a coat.

Reactions: Nancy and Pisteuo

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been in three drastically different from each other denominations. Now I don't claim any of them, just Spirit-filled. The Spirit was the difference in knowing about Jesus, and abiding in Jesus.
I certainly hear you here. I also have been in three very different groups, yet they had in common the practice of quenching the Spirit and effectively teaching people to quench the Spirit. The trouble was that few within any of them had even an inkling that that was what was happening.

In the first one I did not recognize it at all while I was there. I would not have even left but God saw to it for me.

In the second I recognized it but was unable to say exactly what the problem was. I knew I needed to leave but would have been hard pressed to explain why at the time.

While in the 3rd one God showed me precisely what it was long before I finally left. To remain faithful to God I could not leave until He let me know it was time.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" Ecc 3:1

"And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power." Acts 1:7

"Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is." Mark 13:33

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly hear you here. I also have been in three very different groups, yet they had in common the practice of quenching the Spirit and effectively teaching people to quench the Spirit. The trouble was that few within any of them had even an inkling that that was what was happening.

In the first one I did not recognize it at all while I was there. I would not have even left but God saw to it for me.

In the second I recognized it but was unable to say exactly what the problem was. I knew I needed to leave but would have been hard pressed to explain why at the time.

While in the 3rd one God showed me precisely what it was long before I finally left. To remain faithful to God I could not leave until He let me know it was time.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" Ecc 3:1

"And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power." Acts 1:7

"Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is." Mark 13:33

The one I was raised in was SDA, and all about the Sabbath. I got a very good Biblical foundation, but always felt guilty. My family didn't practice SDAism. But I became a good debater. I still love Adventists and respect their exuberance to follow their understanding of the Word of God to the letter.

Next during a debate about the Law with a CoC member, he showed me scriptures about grace and that the New Covenant isn't under the law. After 4 hours, I got it; I finally understood grace. I was in the CoC for a year. But it would be years before I unlearned greasy grace, and the Spirit taught me the true power of grace.

Next, I debated again, this time with a Pentecostal in '71. Again, I lost the debate! LOL I was in the middle of quoting 1 Cor. 13, when I read to the end of the chapter to see what I could add, and saw "face to face" and the Spirit confirmed it in me, just as He had confirmed grace vs. Law.

Six years later I was born again and filled with the Spirit. The Spirit was no longer leading from the outside, now He was inside, and an explosion of truth followed. But it was truth that no church I ever went to taught. That is why I visit different churches, but study with the Spirit instead of joining a denomination.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The one I was raised in was SDA, and all about the Sabbath. I got a very good Biblical foundation, but always felt guilty. My family didn't practice SDAism. But I became a good debater. I still love Adventists and respect their exuberance to follow their understanding of the Word of God to the letter.

Next during a debate about the Law with a CoC member, he showed me scriptures about grace and that the New Covenant isn't under the law. After 4 hours, I got it; I finally understood grace. I was in the CoC for a year. But it would be years before I unlearned greasy grace, and the Spirit taught me the true power of grace.

Next, I debated again, this time with a Pentecostal in '71. Again, I lost the debate! LOL I was in the middle of quoting 1 Cor. 13, when I read to the end of the chapter to see what I could add, and saw "face to face" and the Spirit confirmed it in me, just as He had confirmed grace vs. Law.

Six years later I was born again and filled with the Spirit. The Spirit was no longer leading from the outside, now He was inside, and an explosion of truth followed.
Give God the glory, indeed!

My three were Catholic [from age 6] , Oneness Jesus Only [from age 32 to 43]and an unusual Duality group [from age 43 to 2018] which was seemingly better than either of the first two; so I thought, until they proved me wrong. Much of what I am and of what I am still becoming started during the last several years with that final group. What I had received as a faithful Catholic and a sincere Oneness started coming together in that place, but before the end of it, I knew the end of it was also coming. It has! Not the end of my connection with God, but of the possibility of an enduring "membership" with them.

I am still pressing toward that "face to face"!

"When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek." Psalm 27:8

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Jews say there are four ways to look at Scripture: The simple literal way, by hints and allusions, by the deeper meaning, and finally the esoteric hidden meaning. Some even say since there were 600,000 of Israel who left Egypt, there are 600,000 valid interpretations of the Torah.

Take the simple commandment to love your neighbor as yourself. First, each person must ask how he loves himself. Then he has to figure out who his neighbor is. God created us all unique, and the Scriptures take that into account.

I also ask how can all Scripture be profitable for doctrine? Many people would say they believe that, but they surely fail to practice it at times when they fall into a literal rendering only and ignore what it may mean for doctrine.

I also ask where is the Love? Jesus said the Torah and Prophets were all about Love. Can we read them, ignoring what Jesus said and be content with the literal or superficial interpretation -- or do we need to keep digging. I'll paraphrase Maimonides who said we should not read the Scriptures as if they were a mere collection of facts. I agree. If we want facts, we could read encyclopedias, science journals or even phone books. The Bible is more than facts then. They are meant to instruct us in more than facts.

Perhaps some things aren't even facts -- and it might not matter. Is it really true that Joseph had a coat of many colors? I think it probably is true. But why is it included in the Bible? Why tell us about it? If there is a moral lesson to be learned from the story, it's more important to get the doctrine than to believe in the "fact" that he had such a coat.
The best way to understand, is to put the bible down, and say, Jesus I know nothing, Teach me.. Until a man comes to the realization that he knows nothing. he remains unteachable, there was a reason why Jesus chose the "empty jars" to put the water in before it was turned into wine, anything else would have had to be emptied an cleaned first.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Give God the glory, indeed!

My three were Catholic [from age 6] , Oneness Jesus Only [from age 32 to 43]and an unusual Duality group [from age 43 to 2018] which was seemingly better than either of the first two; so I thought, until they proved me wrong. Much of what I am and of what I am still becoming started during the last several years with that final group. What I had received as a faithful Catholic and a sincere Oneness started coming together in that place, but before the end of it, I knew the end of it was also coming. It has! Not the end of my connection with God, but of the possibility of an enduring "membership" with them.

I am still pressing toward that "face to face"!

"When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek." Psalm 27:8

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2
Maybe one day youll get to see Him face to face, before the end. God bless you my friend

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Exactly, that's what I said. Jesus lived under the law perfectly, was sacrificed, and the resurrection and ascension brought in the New Covenant which officially was given on the Day of Pentecost.

Jesus is the Seed, but it wasn't His birth that put an end to the Old Covenant, it was His death.

My point was that the Abrahamic Covenant isn't the Old Covenant, it is the New, that could be fully
implemented @ the death of Jesus Christ. Actually, God gave us the New Covenant all the way back
in Noah's day. Genesis 9:8-10 says,

8 Then God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him, saying, 9 Now behold,
I Myself do establish My covenant with you, and with your descendants after
you; 10 and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the cattle,
and every beast of the earth with you; of all that comes out of the ark, even
every beast of the earth.

In other words, God is going to make sure His Covenant would be a success by taking man out of the
equation. He said, that it would be established by Himself.

The Old Covenant was established by a vow from man to God. Exodus 19:8 says,

8 And all the people answered together and said, “All that the Lord has
spoken we will do!”

God's plan hasn't changed since the very beginning in Genesis when God created man to have dominion
and to be fruitful and multiply. We are progressing closer and closer to the reality of God's Plan being
implemented in the earth.

Paul said it like this in Galatians 3:17 & 18,

17 What I am saying is this: the Law, which came four hundred and thirty
years later
[after the promise to Abraham], does not invalidate a covenant
previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise. 18 For if the
inheritance is based on
[one’s ability to keep the] law, it is no longer based
on a promise; but God has granted it to Abraham by means of a promise.

What a God! What a Plan!

Logabe

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The best way to understand, is to put the bible down, and say, Jesus I know nothing, Teach me.. Until a man comes to the realization that he knows nothing. he remains unteachable, there was a reason why Jesus chose the "empty jars" to put the water in before it was turned into wine, anything else would have had to be emptied an cleaned first.
I did that in my 40s in a more extreme way. I had studied many religions; but one day I realized I didn't know if any holy books or holy men meant a thing. I had "facts" but not one thing of real value. It took me a while.

Reactions: mjrhealth

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point was that the Abrahamic Covenant isn't the Old Covenant, it is the New, that could be fully
implemented @ the death of Jesus Christ. Actually, God gave us the New Covenant all the way back
in Noah's day. Genesis 9:8-10 says,

8 Then God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him, saying, 9 Now behold,
I Myself do establish My covenant with you, and with your descendants after
you; 10 and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the cattle,
and every beast of the earth with you; of all that comes out of the ark, even
every beast of the earth.

In other words, God is going to make sure His Covenant would be a success by taking man out of the
equation. He said, that it would be established by Himself.

The Old Covenant was established by a vow from man to God. Exodus 19:8 says,

8 And all the people answered together and said, “All that the Lord has
spoken we will do!”

God's plan hasn't changed since the very beginning in Genesis when God created man to have dominion
and to be fruitful and multiply. We are progressing closer and closer to the reality of God's Plan being
implemented in the earth.

Paul said it like this in Galatians 3:17 & 18,

17 What I am saying is this: the Law, which came four hundred and thirty
years later
[after the promise to Abraham], does not invalidate a covenant
previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise. 18 For if the
inheritance is based on
[one’s ability to keep the] law, it is no longer based
on a promise; but God has granted it to Abraham by means of a promise.

What a God! What a Plan!

Logabe

Just as Jesus was the fulfillment of the Old Covenant (Ten Commandments), Jesus is also the fulfillment of the Abrahamic covenant. No longer is it God's sign to circumcise. Just as the moral laws are written now on our hearts, and not on stone, circumcision is also of the heart, and not of flesh.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Just as Jesus was the fulfillment of the Old Covenant (Ten Commandments), Jesus is also the fulfillment of the Abrahamic covenant. No longer is it God's sign to circumcise. Just as the moral laws are written now on our hearts, and not on stone, circumcision is also of the heart, and not of flesh.

I like that!

What a God! Wat a Plan!

Logabe