"Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod..."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the type of stuff that causes me to question the authenticity of some of the scriptures.

Exodus 21:20-21 NIV
20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is the type of stuff that causes me to question the authenticity of some of the scriptures.

20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.
This is my favourite.

Ro 13:1-7: "Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished. For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right, and they will honor you. The authorities are God’s servants, sent for your good. But if you are doing wrong, of course you should be afraid, for they have the power to punish you. They are God’s servants, sent for the very purpose of punishing those who do what is wrong. So you must submit to them, not only to avoid punishment, but also to keep a clear conscience. Pay your taxes, too, for these same reasons. For government workers need to be paid. They are serving God in what they do. Give to everyone what you owe them: Pay your taxes and government fees to those who collect them, and give respect and honor to those who are in authority."

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Inauthentic"? Or maybe "not quite as inspired" as other verses?

Got your flak jacket on, bro? I know the usual suspects here are going to get in a tizzy over this one, but we might as well be open and honest about our questions and talk about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When Adam sinned man was thrown out of harmony with God Pat. Many men became hateful and viscious, heck Cain deliberately murdered his own brother. Violence escalated quickly forcing God to bring the flood. People have dominated others since the beginning, and God saw the need to put in place laws to protect the downtrodden. You posted one. Another thing to note is slavery was a mutual agreement between slave and master, that usually came from debt.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thousands of years ago, prior to the fullness of Revelation with the Incarnation of Jesus Christ (see Heb. 1:1-4), God dealt with the ancient Israelites where they were, which included the owning of slaves. Slaves were considered property in ancient Israel, as they were in the surrounding non-Israelite culture. Yet, God morally gradually exhorted the Israelites to see the humanity of their slaves, as the Scripture you quoted illustrates.

Keep in mind, too, that “slavery” in the Old Testament context does not mean what most people today, especially in America with the evils of slavery in its not-too-distant past, have in mind. There are at least three different ways to use the term.

There is the “chattel slavery” that most people call to mind, which involves forcing people into service indefinitely, unwavering cruelty, and the reduction of people to mere property. Although this was common in the African-American slave trade (and gravely wrong), it’s not what the Old Testament describes.

Old Testament slavery commonly refers to a process of indentured servitude that the poor and destitute (or those with enormous debts) would make use of temporarily. They could “sell themselves” as servants (“slaves”) to pay off a debt or obtain sustenance for themselves and their families in a time and place with no government welfare programs. Although this type of “slavery” is a hard thing to experience, it is not intrinsically wrong.

Sometimes “slavery” refers to penal servitude in which where wrongdoers are punished with forced labor. This is also not wrong in itself (even today, some criminal punishments include “community service”), although depending on circumstances it may not always be prudent.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod..."​

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lust shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2 TIMOTHY 4:3-4.

Reactions: Augustin56

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod..."​

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lust shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2 TIMOTHY 4:3-4.

James 2:7
Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity is about freedom. Not slavery.

“Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?” (Job 40:8)

“Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again…” (Titus 2:9)

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?” (Job 40:8)

“Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again…” (Titus 2:9)
Luke 8:3 in Other Translations
3 And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance. 3 and Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's household manager, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them out of their means.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is a difference between decernment and judgment. Decernment is being able to hold something without setting it in stone. Judgment is final. There is also a difference in belief that is open to challenge and belief that is not. Belief that is not challenged becomes immoral as it is a fleshly nature of this world that is attached to the ego.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

There is a difference between decernment and judgment. Decernment is being able to hold something without setting it in stone. Judgment is final. There is also a difference in belief that is open to challenge and belief that is not. Belief that is not challenged becomes immoral as it is a fleshly nature of this world that is attached to the ego.

No such thing as external rulership, this is fallacy. We are sovereign beings. God gave us free will. Man has given us slavery.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I explained to you already. Decernment is the ability to be able to hold something in your head without setting it in stone. This is OK and healthy practice. Judgment is to make a final conclusion and can be seen as sinfull.

Belief is attached to the ego and when gone un checked or gets itself into a state that lacks Humility, this is also sinfull and a dangerouse place to be.

Remember that Truth is to know and belief is always blind. I do not ask you to believe me, I ask you to go and know this for yourself.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth is to know and belief is always blind.

Look.

I showed scripture to correct you.

These posts of yours cannot void the holy scriptures. You are trying to bewitch me with fair speeches and good words.

You seem to be exposing yourself here:

“If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions…” (1 Timothy 6:3-5)

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see that you are filled with great knowledge and wisdom!

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Look.

I showed scripture to correct you.

These posts of yours cannot void the holy scriptures. You are trying to bewitch me with fair speeches and good words.

You seem to be exposing yourself here:

“If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions…” (1 Timothy 6:3-5)
Sorry but this thread states decernment on scripture. This is the topic. If you lack the ability to think for yourself, which you clearly do, I ask what you are doing here?

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are you objecting to the slavery, or the physical abuse, or both perhaps?

We have a dim view of slavery in our modern world. But it was part of life back then.
If a nation conquered another nation, the people were either slaughtered, or taken as slaves.
Given the choice, which would you choose? Death, or enslavement?

Reactions: Patrick1966