"Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod..."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You presume to know what God does??

“O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!” (Romans 11:33)
I exercise conscience and speak from Truth. You do not speak from conscience and only regurgitate scripture with no true understanding. You are like a well oiled machine that speaks not for himself but for the defence of his toxic belief system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Behold

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you objecting to the slavery, or the physical abuse, or both perhaps?

We have a dim view of slavery in our modern world. But it was part of life back then.
If a nation conquered another nation, the people were either slaughtered, or taken as slaves.
Given the choice, which would you choose? Death, or enslavement?

I guess I would ask why God didn't come out and say that slavery is sin. Of course, maybe I'm misunderstanding what a "slave" really was.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I exercise conscience and speak from Truth. You do not speak from conscience and only regurgitate scripture with no true understanding. You are like a well oiled machine that speaks not for himself but from the defence of his toxic belief system.
The majority of frequent posters here believe their understanding is complete, their views are infallible, and that everyone else has been deceived into working for Satan. The fact is that this place is a magnet for wackadoodles.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is right is True.
Example: Suppose I am a member of a conquering nation. (BC era)
I have the choice to kill a family, or take them as slaves.
They are pleading with me not to kill them.
What should I do, and why?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess I would ask why God didn't come out and say that slavery is sin. Of course, maybe I'm misunderstanding what a "slave" really was.
Yes, our modern western mindset, and American history tell us that slavery is wrong.
We have to understand the biblical time frame. Granted the OT verse in your OP seems a bit brutal now.
But it was probably to hold slave-owners responsible for the slaves. And not beat them to death.

I grabbed a few NT references in my post #28.
Paul is addressing slaves and slave owners. Nowhere here does he denounce slavery.

Ephesians 6:5-7 NIV
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear,
and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.
6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you,
but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.
7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people,

Colossians 3:22 NIV
Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it,
not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor,
but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.

Colossians 4:1 NIV
Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair,
because you know that you also have a Master in heaven.

1 Timothy 6:1-2 NIV
All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider
their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name
and our teaching may not be slandered.
2 Those who have believing masters should not show
them disrespect just because they are fellow believers.
Instead, they should serve them even better because
their masters are dear to them as fellow believers
and are devoted to the welfare[a] of their slaves. ...

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are like a well oiled machine that speaks not for himself but from the defence of his toxic belief system.

Slanderous remarks is all you have.

The Holy Bible’s rules for “slavery” is what you find toxic.

I defended the word of God here.

Nothing more.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Example: Suppose I am a member of a conquering nation. (BC era)
I have the choice to kill a family, or take them as slaves.
They are pleading with me not to kill them.
What should I do, and why?
The final course of action always comes in the moment. The outcome cannot be set in stone or planned for in advance, for any given situation is different than the last. It is in that moment when all variables come together and true wisdom is born. This can only be done through an alignment with Truth and morality. The speck must be removed from thy own eye.

“Water shapes its course according to the nature of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing.” – Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

Mt 10:19-20: "When you are arrested, don’t worry about how to respond or what to say. God will give you the right words at the right time. For it is not you who will be speaking— it will be the Spirit of your Father speaking through you."

In ancient tribes, immoral behaviour depending on the extent was dealt with by exile or death because they understood that when immoral behaviour goes unchecked, the notion of Truth becomes relative and spreads like disease that brings self perpetuated chaos and suffering for everyone. Immoral behaviours must be dealt with accordingly. We call this the sword of Truth and justice. It is to uphold the Truth and seal the darkness. But like I said at the start of this post, somone cannot uphold the Truth if he doesn't know what Truth is to begin with. This creates more chaos and suffering.

Upholding the Truth is to fulfill the Will of God. Keeping a slave is to fulfill the will of man.

There is no definite course of action for an outcome that has not become manifest.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the type of stuff that causes me to question the authenticity of some of the scriptures.

Exodus 21:20-21 NIV
20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.
There are different types of slavery - some involuntary and some voluntary. I think some people were so far in debt that the only way to survive was to sell themselves into slavery.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no such thing as slavery. Its a false belief system.

There are laws that you must follow.

“Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers” (Romans 13:1)

And God is the Master of all.

Slavery is ever present. It just looks different at times…

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So what would you call it, back in the old days, when a person deeply in debt went to a wealthy person and said, "I will do whatever you want if you feed and shelter me"?
That's not really a slave. You do the same thing when you go to work. I mean the whole concept of authority over somone else does not exist. We can claim it, even believe it but it does not exist. We are sovereign beings.