Are Churches Becoming Too Commercialized??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marymog

I have no problem debating scripture. But when you insinuate I am being completely dishonest, i don't qant to have anything to do with you. There is a lot of that kind of crap on this board. There is one difference between me and the rest: I don't put up with it.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marymog

I have no problem debating scripture. But when you insinuate I am being completely dishonest, i don't qant to have anything to do with you. There is a lot of that kind of crap on this board. There is one difference between me and the rest: I don't put up with it.
If you are not being dishonest then please show me where scripture backs up what you are saying?

You have already admitted that tithing wasn’t the MAIN POINT and that these verses aren't directly responding to tithing.

You have admitted that Jesus has said NOTHING about Christians tithing. Yet you get mad at me and leave a debate?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are not being dishonest then please show me where scripture backs up what you are saying?

You have already admitted that tithing wasn’t the MAIN POINT and that these verses aren't directly responding to tithing.

You have admitted that Jesus has said NOTHING about Christians tithing. Yet you get mad at me and leave a debate?

Yes. You insinuated I was dishonest yet admit I was honest. I don't put up with garbage like that. Not only am I done with this conversation, but I am done with you. Don't bother me again with this nonsense.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. You insinuated I was dishonest yet admit I was honest. I don't put up with garbage like that. Not only am I done with this conversation, but I am done with you. Don't bother me again with this nonsense.

Garbage?

Nonsense?

Not sure what u are talking about but I respect your wishes.

I love you.....Mary

swanny8777

Feb 18, 2020
Aurora
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NOWHERE in the NT does it say, suggest, hint at or imply tha we should tithe. To suggest otherwise is completely dishonest.

Wow, it's interesting to hear such opposition to something so Biblical. How about Matthew 5:18? Sure, we have a New Testament that redefines our source of redemption, but it seems to me that what was once holy to the LORD (Leviticus 27:30) would still remain holy to the LORD today. Just a thought!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I came upon this Man-on-the-Street show on youtube and it really hit the nail in the head regarding some of the lingering thoughts that I had regarding church & money

A church needs money to survive, but how do you draw the line between getting money to survive and getting money for profit? I think its very easy to cross that line.

A church exists for the sake of spreading the word of God, but it is also an institution run by men, men who are fallible and are easily tempted, men who may have their own motives and aspirations.

And are glossy, high tech, stadium-like churches really necessary? Do we really need church to look like a rock concert?

I think there's a dichotomy here, Christianity in the end is supposed to be holy and spiritual, but at the same time, it exists in a capitalistic world where it has to play by its rules in order to survive

The Church should disappear from the streets and start appear in our homes-- that's what the Law and the Lawgiver have always demanded.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, it's interesting to hear such opposition to something so Biblical. How about Matthew 5:18? Sure, we have a New Testament that redefines our source of redemption, but it seems to me that what was once holy to the LORD (Leviticus 27:30) would still remain holy to the LORD today. Just a thought!
Thank you. I don't see the commandment to Christians to tithe in that verse so my statement still holds true.

Lets put Matthew 5:18 in CONTEXT! VS 17 says Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.

Then in VS 18 Jesus says that He will accomplish (fulfill) the laws of the prophets. We know that He is the messiah BECAUSE he fulfilled the laws of the prophets. Tithing has NOTHING to do with Him fulfilling the laws of the prophets. Tithing was a Jewish law for the Jews not a law that Jesus fulfills as proof he is the messiah.

2 Corinthians 9:7 is a better summary of what we are expected to do as Christians. It says "not reluctantly or under compulsion".

Bible study Mary