Are nativity scenes idolatry?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, because we don’t worship an icon or a statue.
This topic has been discussed here so many times though. I haven’t seen anyone change their minds and their position.

the fundamentalist will have thier opinion I’m sure

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the fundamentalist will have thier opinion I’m sure
Everyone may have an opinion, but your words will mean nothing to anyone who does not know what you mean by "fundamentalist". I certainly do not know.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well,theefaith, that doesn't make any sense either.

The dictionary defines it as:

"A person who believes in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture in a religion." So maybe a sola scriptura person, maybe.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't care if someone wants to view me as a religious zealot or "legalist", but nativity scenes are idols. They point people to a false god(especially because such things are never seen until Christmas season), and God specifically stated in the 2nd commandment that He is not to be physically portrayed in ANY way and for ANY reason. The fact that nativity scenes are used to physically represent God(and false version of one at that) automatically qualifies them as being idols. People who use the "we don't bow to them" argument clearly hasn't studied the golden calf incident in Exodus.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Images are not forbidden, such as the cherubim on the ark of the covenant exod 25:18 and the bronze serpent num 21:9 and Jn 3:14 are not forbidden but even commanded, graven or worshiped as a god then these images are forbidden such as the golden calf!

Bowing down or posture does not equal worship or adoration!

Worship requires intent!
You must have the intent to worship God properly!

Worship requires intent, offering of sacrifice, a ordained priesthood, adoration, reparation, thanksgiving, and petition!

Bowing or posture does not equal worship! Kneeling next to your bed to pray is that worshiping your bed?

Genesis 23:12
And Abraham bowed down himself before the people of the land.

Genesis 42:6
And Joseph was the governor over the land, and he it was that sold to all the people of the land: and Joseph's brethren came, and bowed down themselves before him with their faces to the earth.

Bowing a sign of obedience!

Genesis 43:28
And they answered, Thy servant our father is in good health, he is yet alive. And they bowed down their heads, and made obeisance.

1 Kings 1:53
So king Solomon sent, and they brought him down from the altar. And he came and bowed himself to king Solomon: and Solomon said unto him, Go to thine house.

1 Kings 2:19
Bathsheba therefore went unto king Solomon, to speak unto him for Adonijah. And the king rose up to meet her, and bowed himself unto her

If you kneel next to your bed to say your prayers at night are you worshiping your bed? No!

I have been a catholic all my life and I’m 60 and I have never worshiped Mary or the saints or a statute!

Reverence, veneration, love and devotion yes! Worship no!

Reactions: GaryAnderson