Are Online Christian Forums Cults?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Claims that another Christian forum is a cult by a member announcing their withdrawal has me asking if such forums are cults.

Best post a dictionary definition as a point of reference.

cult
(kŭlt)
n.
a.
A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a.
Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

[Latin cultus, worship, from past participle of colere, to cultivate; see kwel- in Indo-European roots.]

cul′tic, cult′ish adj.
cult′ism n.
cult′ist n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

I don't think all cults are bad, and being able to cultivate conversations on forums like this is preferrable to the cultures of some tradition-bound congregations with heavy Nicolaitan agendas geared to expoitation, domination, and control.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Claims that another Christian forum is a cult by a member announcing their withdrawal has me asking if such forums are cults.

Best post a dictionary definition as a point of reference.

cult
(kŭlt)
n.
a.
A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a.
Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

[Latin cultus, worship, from past participle of colere, to cultivate; see kwel- in Indo-European roots.]

cul′tic, cult′ish adj.
cult′ism n.
cult′ist n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

I don't think all cults are bad, and being able to cultivate conversations on forums like this is preferrable to the cultures of some tradition-bound congregations with heavy Nicolaitan agendas geared to expoitation, domination, and control.

Hmmm... depends on how cliquish they are. I think CARM might have classified as a cult simply because they were so staunchly sectarian, but I'm not sure who else would qualify.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always thought forums as an evangelism outreach and kind of like a place to talk. When you have kids, you don't get out much. LOL. So it is nice to have some intellectual conversation about smart type games and cookie tables. LOL. But it also encourages me in scripture and things during the week. I struggle on CB sometimes. I think it is because of the diverse amount of beliefs all together, but there can be interesting reads none the less.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always thought forums as an evangelism outreach and kind of like a place to talk. When you have kids, you don't get out much. LOL. So it is nice to have some intellectual conversation about smart type games and cookie tables. LOL. But it also encourages me in scripture and things during the week. I struggle on CB sometimes. I think it is because of the diverse amount of beliefs all together, but there can be interesting reads none the less.
Since I'm relatively new here, I'm still learning where the "Here be there tygres" and "Please do not feed the dragon" signs ought to be. o_O

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More seriously, I'm finding this IS addictive and has become a distraction when I'm supposed to be working. It also may indicate that I'm getting too emotionally involved when my prayer list has more forum people than real-life people on it. (Are there real-life people behind the avatars?) I don't seem to have the willpower to compartmentalize this, and I may have to ask to have my account deleted. :(

Besides, weird $#^!'s been happening to me since I joined this forum. At least I've met some unforgettable characters.

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't meet any other Christians in my daily life so this place is a place to encourage and be encouraged; to inspire and be inspired and also to share the things God puts in my heart. It's a place of fellowship. Also being able to share the things of God with others is a way of keeping sharp.
The followers of such a religion or sect.
And I don't follow a religion I follow a person who is Jesus.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't meet any other Christians in my daily life so this place is a place to encourage and be encouraged; to inspire and be inspired and also to share the things God puts in my heart. It's a place of fellowship. Also being able to share the things of God with others is a way of keeping sharp.

And I don't follow a religion I follow a person who is Jesus.
Hi @Pearl,

I have been visiting forums for many years now, and there were times when it felt like entering shark infested waters, with violent opposition and calls of 'Heretic' made between those with opposing opinion. It is inevitable that there will be differences and debate for that is what a forum encourages: and we each have such different influences, and backgrounds. Even our understanding and use of language can cause difficulty between members. Yet when there is love shown, and kindness expressed, it can be good to share and receive what God has opened our eyes to in His Word. Taking part I have to read the Scriptures associated with the subjects raised, and do learn so much by doing so.

Wishing you joy in the Lord
Chris

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, some people seem like they’re in a cult to me. I can tell this by their posts.
But, there’s also good people in every forum … including this one. So don’t let the negativity overwhelm the goodness. Just laugh off negativity and move on.

More seriously, I'm finding this IS addictive and has become a distraction when I'm supposed to be working. It also may indicate that I'm getting too emotionally involved when my prayer list has more forum people than real-life people on it. (Are there real-life people behind the avatars?) I don't seem to have the willpower to compartmentalize this, and I may have to ask to have my account deleted. :(

Besides, weird $#^!'s been happening to me since I joined this forum. At least I've met some unforgettable characters.

I hear you but let me tell you a few things. I am a real person. I’m married with two kids. I work from home most of the time too so I have a tab open here in this site and check it out from time to time. If I was working onsite or if I’m called on-site then I won’t have time to be here. I guess with the pandemic we all have more time online since we’re home (some of us at least). Many of my friends and extended family have been more in-touch in programs such as Whatssup or Viber during the past year and this year because of the pandemic.
If you leave I will miss your comments. You have a good sense of humor and an open mind.
May God bless you and your family in whatever struggle you are going through.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Hi Lambano,

In all of life there is the need for discipline, not least of all online and in forums like this, so I have a system of reward and restraint in place to achieve a balance.

This morning I woke up as a 67 year old 90% retired Landscape & Gardening contractor with an eagerness to logon and check out this forum, but first I had a time of quiet contemplation seeking the Lord to align with His leading for the day. The result was that I completed numerous tasks outside, weeding, potting, trimming, mowing, and trimming, then had a pleasant swim in our pool to cool down, and now my reward is relaxing with a cup of tea, listening to Christian music, and corresponding with you online.

Reward after completing other priorities.
Restraint when the fruit of the Spirit is under threat.
This is the guideline I follow to avoid an unhealthy online life.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Myself, and several others I'm aware of, found occassion to temporarily withdraw, to reflect on whether we should continue. I want you to do whatever is good for you, but I think you are a good addition, for whatever that's worth!

Much love!

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Nope. Forums are nothing more that places where folks can chat. There will be people FROM CULTS that post, and folks that are so far in the woods spiritually, that you wonder how they ever got there theologically, and there'll be folks the preach the TRUTH. But a forum is nothing more than "Social media". CAVIAT EMPTOR!!!!!

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hmmm... depends on how cliquish they are. I think CARM might have classified as a cult simply because they were so staunchly sectarian, but I'm not sure who else would qualify.
CARM...smile when you say that! SMH Those people do so much damage to the Kingdom of God!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear you but let me tell you a few things. I am a real person. I’m married with two kids. I work from home most of the time too so I have a tab open here in this site and check it out from time to time. If I was working onsite or if I’m called on-site then I won’t have time to be here. I guess with the pandemic we all have more time online since we’re home (some of us at least). Many of my friends and extended family have been more in-touch in programs such as Whatssup or Viber during the past year and this year because of the pandemic.
If you leave I will miss your comments. You have a good sense of humor and an open mind.
May God bless you and your family in whatever struggle you are going through.

Nice to meet you, Gary. This place has a gaslight effect on me; it's good to know you're real. ;) You always make neat threads. Thank you for the kind words.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Myself, and several others I'm aware of, found occassion to temporarily withdraw, to reflect on whether we should continue. I want you to do whatever is good for you, but I think you are a good addition, for whatever that's worth!

Much love!
I may need to do that, and because my flesh is weak, I may need to take extra steps to enforce that decision. But not yet.

Social Media IS like an addiction, with a complex system of rewards to keep the user hooked. Those rewards include the "Like" system, the verbal affirmation of others, the pride of triumphing over someone you disagree with, and peculiar to religious forums, the sense of doing something for God. I think it was you who said that addictions rewire the brain. I have concerns about the stability of systems whose firmware has the capability of overwriting its own programming. I have come to question my own stability. If I wanted an addiction, I should've stuck with sniffing glue.

Thank you for the affirmation, though. I appreciated it!

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Lambano,

In all of life there is the need for discipline, not least of all online and in forums like this, so I have a system of reward and restraint in place to achieve a balance.

This morning I woke up as a 67 year old 90% retired Landscape & Gardening contractor with an eagerness to logon and check out this forum, but first I had a time of quiet contemplation seeking the Lord to align with His leading for the day. The result was that I completed numerous tasks outside, weeding, potting, trimming, mowing, and trimming, then had a pleasant swim in our pool to cool down, and now my reward is relaxing with a cup of tea, listening to Christian music, and corresponding with you online.

Reward after completing other priorities.
Restraint when the fruit of the Spirit is under threat.
This is the guideline I follow to avoid an unhealthy online life.
Thanks, Stumpmaster. There's some things I can do along those lines to try and keep a healthy balance. Though a cynical man would say it doesn't help to tell a drunk that all he needs to do is drink in moderation. But you are actually quite correct, and I especially like the heart with which you said it.

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I was gone from here for about a month and it did me good. Sometimes it is good to take a break if you feel like you need to redeem the time in better ways.

I've heard someone say before that online evangelism shouldn't replace offline evangelism. While I agree, there ARE real people on the other side of the avatars. We both are real right? Unless you are one of them robots that come on here. :D

I've said I was leaving for good before, even asked to be banned (the stinkers refused to ban me. I guess they love me or something. :p ) But I really love a lot of the people on here and they are on my prayer list as real people who I have grown to know and respect.