Are the following statements insulting?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Gutfree

Mar 22, 2008
PLEASE NOTE: This thread is meant to further the dialogue between Christians and non-Christians. None of the following statements are intended to be directed at any individual on the board.EDIT: PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE NOT HERE TO DISCUSS THE TRUTH OR FALSEHOOD OF ANY OF THE STATEMENTS. The thread is meant to discuss whether or not Christians find them insulting. Please be respectful. Thanks. That being said... Do you find the following statements insulting? If so, please explain why. 1) "Jesus didn't exist in the manner described in the gospels." 2) "There is no god." 3) "I do not believe in god." 4) "Your argument is flawed due to the use of a fallacy." 5) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists." 6) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists and there is considerable evidence suggesting god does not exist."

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
1) "Jesus didn't exist in the manner described in the gospels." False, he did.2) "There is no god." There is a G-d.3) "I do not believe in god." I do believe in G-d.4) "Your argument is flawed due to the use of a fallacy." NEVER5) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists." There is evidence the Bible. 6) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists and there is considerable evidence suggesting god does not exist." Again theres the Bible telling us this that G-d exist.

Saint Gutfree

Mar 22, 2008
(Two;42022)
1) "Jesus didn't exist in the manner described in the gospels." False, he did.2) "There is no god." There is a G-d.3) "I do not believe in god." I do believe in G-d.4) "Your argument is flawed due to the use of a fallacy." NEVER5) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists." There is evidence the Bible. 6) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists and there is considerable evidence suggesting god does not exist." Again theres the Bible telling us this that G-d exist.
PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE NOT HERE TO DISCUSS THE TRUTH OR FALSEHOOD OF ANY OF THE STATEMENTS. The thread is meant to discuss whether or not Christians find them insulting. Please be respectful. Thanks.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
I was not disrespectful I gave you an answer. If you did not want the questions answered you should not have posted them. Personally I do not find any of them insulting becuase I know what I believe I do not care what others think.

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
(Saint Gutfree;42020)
PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE NOT HERE TO DISCUSS THE TRUTH OR FALSEHOOD OF ANY OF THE STATEMENTS. The thread is meant to discuss whether or not Christians find them insulting. Please be respectful. Thanks.
For myself, I do not find any of them as offensive. For we must always remember, it is not personal. They are only insulting if we take them personally.IMO: We might perhaps consider such statements as a challenge. A challenge in that:Are we prepared or are we capable of answering, or rising to the occasion in so that we might give an answer without personal offense or attack.Just my 2 cents worth which when taking inflation into account is not much:)In His love,Richard

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
I don't really find them insulting. I find them to be sad. Anyone who says these things need to find Jesus, The Way, The Truth, and The Life. It makes me sad because I really do believe that they will die and go to a hell made for the devil and his angels if they don't repent and accept Christ as their Lord and Savior. Any Christian that isn't affected by this needs to check his compassion level. We need to be more serious about reaching the lost for the Lord. Since He loves them and went so far as to die for all mankind, the least we could do is live for Him.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
Saint Gutfree Quote: EDIT: PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE NOT HERE TO DISCUSS THE TRUTH OR FALSEHOOD OF ANY OF THE STATEMENTS. The thread is meant to discuss whether or not Christians find them insulting. Please be respectful. Thanks.
this was added after Two gave his response
Saint Gutfree Quote:Originally Posted by Two 1) "Jesus didn't exist in the manner described in the gospels." False, he did.2) "There is no god." There is a G-d.3) "I do not believe in god." I do believe in G-d.4) "Your argument is flawed due to the use of a fallacy." NEVER5) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists." There is evidence the Bible. 6) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists and there is considerable evidence suggesting god does not exist." Again theres the Bible telling us this that G-d exist. PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE NOT HERE TO DISCUSS THE TRUTH OR FALSEHOOD OF ANY OF THE STATEMENTS. The thread is meant to discuss whether or not Christians find them insulting. Please be respectful. Thanks.
And it would behoove you to do the same...if you are going to edit after someone responds, which I don't think we are supposed to, the least you can do is pretend or overlook that someone responded exactly the way you didn't want them to. Please also be respectful, it is a two-way street...As for your questions I don't have anything to say...say on folks

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(Two;42077)
Thanks Jackie appreciate it........
that's what friends are for Two...be blessed

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
(Saint Gutfree;42020)
1) "Jesus didn't exist in the manner described in the gospels."
I don't think this is offensive, but it does make an assurtion that I would expect to be backed up. If it is said on it's own and isn't explained, I would find it mildly ignorant or rude, but I wouldn't dare call it insulting.(Saint Gutfree;42020)
2) "There is no god."
Same exact as above.(Saint Gutfree;42020)
3) "I do not believe in god."
Not at all insulting. It's a statement of belief, and I'm not sure how one could be insulted by what someone else believes. Of course, actions are a different, and could be offensive. So, in the simplest of words, it just as insulting as someone saying, "I believe in God", basically meaning it isn't insulting.(Saint Gutfree;42020)
4) "Your argument is flawed due to the use of a fallacy."
I don't find this insulting either, but I would expect an explaination just like in 1 and 2. To call someone wrong isn't wrong, but to call them wrong and not attempt to at least show them the proper direction is impolite and poor debating etiquette. (Saint Gutfree;42020)
5) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists."
This isn't insulting so much as it's ignorant. To insist something like this, you have to have seen all possible evidence. Because the subject is supernatural, that means there's a lot you've got to look at before you can say this. However, if someone actually did measure everything in the universe, I might be kinder to their statement, provided they still provide and explanation as in 1, 2, and 4.(Saint Gutfree;42020)
6) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists and there is considerable evidence suggesting god does not exist."
The first part is ignorant for the same reason as 5, and just plain dumb in the second part. There is no way you can prove something doesn't exist. You can't prove a negative, especially supernatural negatives. It's very much like Schrodinger's cat, I like to think.Does this answer your question?

Saint Gutfree

Mar 22, 2008
(Jackie D;42076)
this was added after Two gave his response
It really shouldn't have been required. I just wanted to make sure no one else misunderstood the thread and posted as Two did.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(Saint Gutfree;42116)
It really shouldn't have been required. I just wanted to make sure no one else misunderstood the thread and posted as Two did.
point has been taken...

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
(Jackie D;42076)
this was added after Two gave his responseAnd it would behoove you to do the same...if you are going to edit after someone responds, which I don't think we are supposed to, the least you can do is pretend or overlook that someone responded exactly the way you didn't want them to. Please also be respectful, it is a two-way street...
Well spotted and spoken Jackie.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
(Saint Gutfree;42020)
PLEASE NOTE: This thread is meant to further the dialogue between Christians and non-Christians. None of the following statements are intended to be directed at any individual on the board.EDIT: PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE NOT HERE TO DISCUSS THE TRUTH OR FALSEHOOD OF ANY OF THE STATEMENTS. The thread is meant to discuss whether or not Christians find them insulting. Please be respectful. Thanks. That being said... Do you find the following statements insulting? If so, please explain why. 1) "Jesus didn't exist in the manner described in the gospels." 2) "There is no god." 3) "I do not believe in god." 4) "Your argument is flawed due to the use of a fallacy." 5) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists." 6) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists and there is considerable evidence suggesting god does not exist."
I don't find them insulting,because I know whom I believe. The dialogue is between that person who say those things and God.

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
(Saint Gutfree;42020)
I could not finds these insulting. They can be the ones who take up that with God. I know what I believe,sure I will say something about it but,I do not find it insulting to me

Elisha Kai

Nov 21, 2007
That being said... Do you find the following statements insulting? If so, please explain why.

1) "Jesus didn't exist in the manner described in the gospels."
I am not insulted, I just find this statement incredibly historically naive and ignorant, and I am a student of history, currently working on the historical Jesus, source and textual criticism and historical criticism; in the evidences support the Christian view not the atheist, deist or whatever.
2) "There is no god."
Again I don't find this insulting, I am just amazed that people in this modern world can hold to such a outdated opinion. All I can say is grow up.
3) "I do not believe in god."
good luck
4) "Your argument is flawed due to the use of a fallacy."
I am not insulted, but the statement is a mere statement to whichever faction, unless otherwise proven.
5) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists."
I am not insulted, but I find the statement incredibly ignorant, more and more are currently turning toward intelligent design, even supporters of the Steady State theory is reluctant to exclude the notion of God within their theory.
6) "There is no evidence to support the idea that god exists and there is considerable evidence suggesting god does not exist."
I am not insulted but find the statement incredibly overstated and ignorant

Status
Not open for further replies.