Are we meant to please people, or please God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does that mean to you when you mention this, cause I don’t understand?

From the view I have Paul was always looking forward to being part of the spiritual kingdom.
I don’t believe anyone will be able to see your view Matthew, because their waiting on Jesus to return, and save them.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t believe anyone will be able to see your view Matthew, because their waiting on Jesus to return, and save them.

May God give them eyes to see and ears to hear, and seek for truth that they may be set free, and look towards the future hope of going to be with God and the hope that God does provide for us our spiritual needs and helps us with wisdom if that is the case, Woh.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May God give them eyes to see and ears to hear, and seek for truth that they may be set free, and look towards the future hope of going to be with God and the hope that God does provide for us our spiritual needs and helps us with wisdom if that is the case, Woh.
It will take Gods intervention, the confirmation bias is overwhelming

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This world fails us all the time.

Friends, family, things of this world are feeble and weak. Though we can find enjoyment from them from a time, and even love our family and friends and enemies.

God is spirit and provides for us spiritually and this is what last after this life.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what is it you don't understand Matthew?

Why people worry and fret so much about life, as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, and why they aren’t at rest in Him and enjoying the liberty he came to being to help us have freedom from bondage, of whatever entangles us.

What is understandable is that God can hear our prayers and listens to us talk to Him and is our Father and he cares for us very much, and he blesses us spiritually and not so much materially or the name and claim it game. God provides for us through Jesus Christ spiritual peace, rest and comfort.

That is what one should be able to share with others, and I believe being honest and open to God is what He finds pleasing compared to try to please men or others, because all of us have free will choice to look to God and talk and communicate with Him or not.

God can handle our deepest darkest secrets and thoughts if we tell him, to be open and honest with God is truly freeing, and a peace from him comes that surpasses all understanding.

Reactions: Waiting on him

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why people worry and fret so much about life, as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, and why they aren’t at rest in Him and enjoying the liberty he came to being to help us have freedom from bondage, of whatever entangles us.

What is understandable is that God can hear our prayers and listens to us talk to Him and is our Father and he cares for us very much, and he blesses us spiritually and not so much materially or the name and claim it game. God provides for us through Jesus Christ spiritual peace, rest and comfort.

That is what one should be able to share with others, and I believe being honest and open to God is what He finds pleasing compared to try to please men or others, because all of us have free will choice to look to God and talk and communicate with Him or not.

God can handle our deepest darkest secrets and thoughts if we tell him, to be open and honest with God is truly freeing, and a peace from him comes that surpasses all understanding.
my question to you relates to your comment about a riddler.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes sin
has been condemned in the flesh, it has been nailed to the cross and rendered useless.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obey God first (Acts 5:29) and please people second.

We should obey governing authorities unless they tell us to sin or stop preaching the gospel.

Romans 12:18 NKJV

18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.

Sometimes its not possible. But if it is, then thats what we should do.

Reactions: dev553344

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sheep and goats is pleasing the poor while pleasing God. So it all depends on what you're doing to please people.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Please people or God? The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. However, if forced to choose, and if one tries to please at all through the motivation of love, I would choose to try to please God, first, and people, second. It is what Jesus recommends: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is no commandment greater than these.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are we meant to please people, or please God?

It's often best to straight-talk to people (in a nice way), rather than be wimpy and try to "please them", because Christians are God's "iron men and women" and our strength rubs off on people-
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (Proverbs 7:17)
"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel..Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should" (Ephesians 6:19-20)

But if people want to be nannied they'll have to find somebody else to sweet-talk them..:)
"The time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear" (2 Timothy 4:3)

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Just asking questions sir.

How was Paul pleasing to all men?

the context of your verse is key.
Paul is talking about helping people find Salvation.....so, in that case, the last thing you want to do is offened them.
Also, Paul teaches that as much as you can, be at peace with all people.
But there are cases where that is not the rule book, and one of those cases is.... you dont allow heretics to stay in a Bible Believing, faith filled Church, that is correct regarding its Salvation Theology, as that is the most important thing of all, regarding DOCTRINE.

Also, on a forum......... there will never be peace when some teach water, works, and self effort is how you are saved or how you stay saved, and God's people teach that JESUS is the only WAY.

simonpeter

Jul 19, 2022
china
Faith
Christian
Country
Taiwan, Province Of China
We can please God only if we love people,But we don't need to please people
My English is poor,please try to understand about it

Reactions: quietthinker

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What can people do to please God and make Him proud?

I would be interested to know what opinions people have on this topic, if they would be willing to share.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I would be interested to know what opinions people have on this topic, if they would be willing to share.

Well, my current project is to eradicate poverty. Worldwide. I think that would please God immensely, and give Him reason to think His Son had not died in vain. But, I cannot, of course, do it alone. So, I guess, I also need to please potential collaborators along the way.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About 2 or 3 years into my Christian life I was confronted with this...

"2...I have found your deeds incomplete in the sight of My God." Revelation 3:2

Which led to these verses:

"10...find out what pleases the Lord." Ephesians 5:10

"17...understand what the Lord’s will is." Ephesians 5:17

To make a long story short this is what God taught me that you 'do' to live the life that pleases God:

"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

As important as church attendance, serving in the church, walking in your gift, giving, worship, praying, etc. are they in no way shape or form replace the thing that counts - walking by the Spirit according to the fruit of the Spirit. That is how you live for and please God. Be those things and you will be pleasing to God and you will live in the abundance of life Jesus died to give you and you will have no fear or concern of having not pleased God. These are my two life verses that came out of that time of learning:

"6The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." Galatians 5:6

"17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval." Romans 14:17-18
Living life in the fruit of the Spirit is the narrow road that leads to life that few find. It's the best kept secret in all of Christianity.

"14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:14

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if someone tells me I should kill someone to please them should it be done? It is after all to please the individual.
17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking (religious ceremonies and observances), but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval." Romans 14:17-18