Are we told to worship Jesus or are we told to worship God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people believe we are to worship Jesus, some people believe we are to worship God? Does the bible tell us anything about which one should be worshipped? What are your reasons you either worship Jesus or worship God, and is there any biblical reasonings to look at?

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Some people believe we are to worship Jesus, some people believe we are to worship God? Does the bible tell us anything about which one should be worshipped? What are your reasons you either worship Jesus or worship God, and is there any biblical reasonings to look at?
Philippians 3:3 (WEB):
(3) For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh;​

Revelation 19:10 (WEB):
(10) Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God.” For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.​
Revelation 22:9 (WEB):
(9) but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers the prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”​

Jesus said:

Matthew 4:10 (WEB):
(10) Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written, “‘You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.’”​

John 4:23-24 (WEB):
(23) But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such to be his worshipers.​
(24) God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”​

Hebrews 1:6 (WEB):
(6) When he again brings in the firstborn into the world he says, “Let all the angels of God worship him.”​

This implies that the angels were commanded to worship Jesus, but the Greek word proskuneo that's translted as 'worship' more precisely means to kneel or prostrate before someone, to kiss the hand of someone, out of reverence and respect for that person. Similarly it says in Philippians 2:10-11 (WEB):

(10) that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, those on earth, and those under the earth,​
(11) and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.​

So we should worship God through Jesus, who is God's representative, giving God the glory:

John 11:4 (WEB):
(4) But when Jesus heard it, he said, “This sickness is not to death, but for the glory of God, that God’s Son may be glorified by it.”​
Philippians 1:11 (WEB):
(11) being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.​
Revelation 19:1 (WEB):
(1) After these things I heard something like a loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying, “Hallelujah! Salvation, power, and glory belong to our God:​

John 5:22-23 (WEB):
(22) For the Father judges no one, but he has given all judgment to the Son,​
(23) that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who doesn’t honor the Son doesn’t honor the Father who sent him.​

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or maybe we should ask, "Should we worship Jesus or should we worship God?"

The problem here is that some believe Jesus to be the Son of God, while others believe Jesus to be God in flesh. In either case, I think we should worship God, but if we believe Jesus to be God in flesh, then worshiping Jesus is the same as worshiping God, in our minds.

I think there is room for both in Christianity.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To God be the glory! Great things He hath done! So loved He the world that He gave us His Son; Who yielded His life an atonement for sin, And opened the life gate that all may go in.

Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the earth hear His voice! Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the people rejoice! O come to the Father, through Jesus the Son: and give Him the glory! Great things He hath done!

O perfect redemption, the purchase of blood! To every believer the promise of God; The vilest offender who truly believes, That moment from Jesus a pardon receives.

Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the earth hear His voice! Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the people rejoice! O come to the Father, through Jesus the Son: and give Him the glory! Great things He hath done!

Great things He hath taught us, great things He hath done, And great our rejoicing through Jesus the Son; But purer, and higher, and greater will be Our wonder, our transport, when Jesus we see.

Reactions: MatthewG

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God and Jesus are the same.Jesus seated at the right hand of God is a metaphor. In Judaism the right hand is the power hand. Jesus on earth was The Word ,God,made flesh and bringing his power to earth in the image and likeness of man.

Reactions: Cassandra