Are you a Christian in name only?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people say they are Christian but they live their lives with no fear of God, with no ethics or morality at work or at home, but they feel they are fine as long as they go to church. When most Christians first come into the church, or they are young in belief, they are strong in the Lord, they search their Bibles and preach to their friends and neighbors. They are strong like David in a land filled with Goliaths, and they have no feared of slaying the giants they face which evil brings without hesitation.

Then they get distracted or some pause as the journey is long and filled with many things that sparkle or bling, and they began to forget to look at their Bibles and to pick up addictions to sin or iniquity, and begin to change. It starts slowly and hardly perceptible but it begins to turn their minds and they began rejecting parts of the Bible or its Commandments as people such as teachers or even minister tell them it no longer holds true. Slowly they begin to fight against the truth the scripture showed them, and replacing them with what others said or a tradition rather than Gods Word. then they begin to take out what the Bible shows them and fade from basic tenets of Christianity and turn from what the Holy Spirit brings into our lives, and their lifestyle began to go back to what it was before.

They claim they are still Christians and know the truth, but no longer follow the ethics or morals they had in their lives. If you say you are Christian you must ask yourself, do you use Gods Word as your standard, and truly follow Jesus Christ in all aspects, going forward to Gods kingdom with the power of the Holy Spirit as your guide. Or are you a Christian in name only....

• Love
Reactions: Azim and L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew

8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

People can see if someone is truly a believer in Christ !

Reactions: Azim

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people say they are Christian but they live their lives with no fear of God, with no ethics or morality at work or at home, but they feel they are fine as long as they go to church. When most Christians first come into the church, or they are young in belief, they are strong in the Lord, they search their Bibles and preach to their friends and neighbors. They are strong like David in a land filled with Goliaths, and they have no feared of slaying the giants they face which evil brings without hesitation.

Then they get distracted or some pause as the journey is long and filled with many things that sparkle or bling, and they began to forget to look at their Bibles and to pick up addictions to sin or iniquity, and begin to change. It starts slowly and hardly perceptible but it begins to turn their minds and they began rejecting parts of the Bible or its Commandments as people such as teachers or even minister tell them it no longer holds true. Slowly they begin to fight against the truth the scripture showed them, and replacing them with what others said or a tradition rather than Gods Word. then they begin to take out what the Bible shows them and fade from basic tenets of Christianity and turn from what the Holy Spirit brings into our lives, and their lifestyle began to go back to what it was before.

They claim they are still Christians and know the truth, but no longer follow the ethics or morals they had in their lives. If you say you are Christian you must ask yourself, do you use Gods Word as your standard, and truly follow Jesus Christ in all aspects, going forward to Gods kingdom with the power of the Holy Spirit as your guide. Or are you a Christian in name only....
Good thoughts.......

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe everyone here is a true Christian with their own set of faults and problems.
May be true, but I find there are many who are still addicted to sin and under the bondage of iniquity and are not so subtle agents of the adversary, bringing confusion and corruption on Gods truth..

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Professing Jesus Christ doesn't mean anything.

You can stand on the board walk and tell people "you must say the name of JEsus to be saved", and have 5 people do it, and come back to someone else who is helping and say "we have had 5 salvations today"

That isnt true. You can say the name Jesus and never know him intimately...

There are people out there who never opened a bible and humbly submitted to God's governaces due to his handiwork in the sky, and how nature can talk about the good news of death, burial and resurrection and people have a changed heart.

Without those three things, going to the cross and dying with him, being buried with him, and being raised again with him, there is no change of heart, just a profession...

You can tell people by the fruit they produce - not that we can condemn them but there are notices... it's unfortunate and they are to blind to see it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are backsliding, there is still hope.

I struggled for a long time with this; what it comes down to is: do you trust God's perspective on your faith?

This is true, I have had struggles with backsliding, but had not doubted in God and his notifications of my backsliding, have always just been one to go and admit my fault before him...

But I also have to be honest and say I struggle in a lot of areas in my flesh; only am I ever in peace resting in the Lord Jesus Christ, and placing God before myself. The guilt and shame seem to disappear even though I know what I did wasn't helpful or quenched the spirit some. Just start new again tomorrow and praise God for today.

Reactions: Azim

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even thoughts hobie, that this is just a forum board with the name Christian....

That doesn't mean true heart believing Christians are here.

And of course as you said, there are babes in Christ who enjoy being in the flesh over the spirit and normally they just bicker, with one another.

Not healthy.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are genuine Christians and there are "nominal" Christians. There are genuine believers and there are make believers. Sadly, there are many people who "profess" to be Christians and pursue moral self-reformation without having experienced regeneration.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have 3 brothers who are selfish or lack faith. They wont make stand for Jesus. They are going to take easy way out near future when antichrist arrives.
My 3 brothers believe in rapture theory. Which is false doctrine.
Duertonmomy chapter 13:6. Warns us of family who entices you to follow them into idolatry. Like false doctrine.
I keep distance from my 3 brothers. Thier going to Sheol. It's holding place for the spirtualty dead or wicked.

Ephesians chapter 6 . Christian people are to have gospel armory on. It's knowledge and wisdom of God's word.
Joshua was 7. Look at Achans Sin. Israel lost the battle to AI. They lost military battle.
Joshua was baffled why they lost??. ACHAN violated God's covenant. He took robe of a idolatry high priest, and silver and bar of gold. ACHAN and his family par took of heathism.
You can't mix heathen traditions and customs with true worship of God. Joshua had ACHAN and his family stoned and put to the fire.
His own family consented to ACHAN.
We see how deuteronomy chapter 13 and Joshua chapter 7 have connection.
We see why the spirtualty dead go to sheol. This is no mystery.
I won't sugar coat Gods word.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Professing Jesus Christ doesn't mean anything.

You can stand on the board walk and tell people "you must say the name of JEsus to be saved", and have 5 people do it, and come back to someone else who is helping and say "we have had 5 salvations today"

That isnt true. You can say the name Jesus and never know him intimately...

There are people out there who never opened a bible and humbly submitted to God's governaces due to his handiwork in the sky, and how nature can talk about the good news of death, burial and resurrection and people have a changed heart.

Without those three things, going to the cross and dying with him, being buried with him, and being raised again with him, there is no change of heart, just a profession...

You can tell people by the fruit they produce - not that we can condemn them but there are notices... it's unfortunate and they are to blind to see it.
Very true, but all you hear from those who should know better, is to say a phrase or quote a 'hail mary' or two, and you are fine...

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How do you answer your own question?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very true, but all you hear from those who should know better, is to say a phrase or quote a 'hail mary' or two, and you are fine...

There are some who love to hear the word of God spoken to them. They have joy when they hear it and then they walk away back to their own will and ways. It's very disheartening however, continue to abide in Christ and do not give up hope is the true answer, @Hobie.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ver
There are some who love to hear the word of God spoken to them. They have joy when they hear it and then they walk away back to their own will and ways. It's very disheartening however, continue to abide in Christ and do not give up hope is the true answer, @Hobie.
Very true..