Are You Dead to Self?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In this time of delusional doctrines and man-made traditions, we are called to walk the separated path - to lose our life now in order to gain it, now and into eternity. Our outer man covering is meant to be sacrificed in order to have the hidden inner man liberated and strengthened from weakness and bondage to the ego - into - an intimate walk with the Lord by grace through faith. Our outer husk needs to be broken in order to free that part of the soul (who we are in God's eyes) into an eternal life. Are we ready to die to that part of us that we have always identified as being our own selves?

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this time of delusional doctrines and man-made traditions, we are called to walk the separated path - to lose our life now in order to gain it, now and into eternity. Our outer man covering is meant to be sacrificed in order to have the hidden inner man liberated and strengthened from weakness and bondage to the ego - into - an intimate walk with the Lord by grace through faith. Our outer husk needs to be broken in order to free that part of the soul (who we are in God's eyes) into an eternal life. Are we ready to die to that part of us that we have always identified as being our own selves?

Just started it 5 minutes ago and am really liking this!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Dead to self? Is there a verse on this?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It costs us a cross according to Luke 9:23. If you want to follow Him, you will have to die to self daily, and by dying, you actually live. Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live” (John 11:25).

Bible Verses About Dying To Self​

Bible verses related to Dying To Self from the King James Version (KJV) by Relevance

- Sort By Book Order

Galatians 2:20 - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Luke 9:23 - And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Galatians 5:24 - And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Mark 8:35 - For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

John 12:24 - Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Romans 6:1-23 - What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? (Read More...)

Matthew 10:38 - And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Philippians 2:1-30 - If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the idea is the "old self".

Galatians 5:22-26 KJV
22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26) Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Much love!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think this is my favorite Epi.

"The" measure of faith or, "a" measure of faith..one sounds like each has their own personal measure; and the other one seemingly saying that all get the same "measure" of faith. IMO, I think we start out with "The" measure ( all the same amnt.) and God gives us more faith as He knows we can be responsible with it and if not, then He will not give you growth...like the more you seek Him, the more faith we can
receive if abiding in Christ :)

I miss us sometimes. Speak to Jen ever?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think this is my favorite Epi.

"The" measure of faith or, "a" measure of faith..one sounds like each has their own personal measure; and the other one seemingly saying that all get the same "measure" of faith. IMO, I think we start out with "The" measure ( all the same amnt.) and God gives us more faith as He knows we can be responsible with it and if not, then He will not give you growth...like the more you seek Him, the more faith we can
receive if abiding in Christ :)

I miss us sometimes. Speak to Jen ever?
Yes!!!.....Amen!!!...imo,xx

Reactions: Episkopos and Nancy

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the idea is the "old self".

Galatians 5:22-26 KJV
22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26) Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Much love!
Then there's the new self.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Self, self self.....old self new self, it's all just self. We are so enamoured with self it's talked about from any angle!
I'm into the new nature. That's my thing. To you that's probably the new self. I don't believe I need to die to the old self because it was entirely obliterated once the spirit of Christ entered the Christian.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm into the new nature. That's my thing. To you that's probably the new self. I don't believe I need to die to the old self because it was entirely obliterated once the spirit of Christ entered the Christian.
There yer go, still self. :)
I reflect on these thoughts; did Jesus say, learn of yourself to gain enlightenment? I hear him say, 'learn of me.....'

We inevitably talk of what we've learned and what consumes our thinking.....and the self dominates. Is it any wonder that we paddle around in abject subjectivism?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There yer go, still self. :)
I reflect on these thoughts; did Jesus say, learn of yourself to gain enlightenment? I hear him say, 'learn of me.....'

We inevitably talk of what we've learned and what consumes our thinking.....and the self dominates. Is it any wonder that we paddle around in abject subjectivism?
You make no sense to me. I talk about our new nature that we have in Christ and you call it I'm talking about my self. Personally I think logic and reason are not your strong suits.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You make no sense to me. I talk about our new nature that we have in Christ and you call it I'm talking about my self. Personally I think logic and reason are not your strong suits.
Making no sense to you does not surprise me Peter. I would say the logic and reason you employ are so encased in self, subjectivity and objectivity are a blur to/ for you.