Are you "in the flesh?" It depends.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PATrobas

Jan 17, 2024
Fall River Mills, CA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reminders – The Flesh​
We see the word “flesh” throughout the New Testament, and although it comes from only one Greek word, SARX, its meanings are quite different depending on the context of its usage. We need to seek the Holy Spirit’s intent to understand scripture correctly. If we do not carefully discern the context or proper definition, we will come to false conclusions. There are four basic uses of the word flesh. 1) The physical body. 2) Kinship. 3) Our human desires and weaknesses. 4) The Adamic, or sin nature we are born with as contrasted with the new, spiritual nature received at salvation. In addition, there are words used in conjunction with the flesh such as, “being in,” or, “walking after,” that modify its meaning. Let’s look a little closer at these four.
1) Flesh, meaning a physical body. We see Jesus has flesh because He was born human. “And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us…” John 1:14 When the Scriptures say that Jesus was in the flesh, it is not telling us He was carnal, (which is another word for flesh) but simply that He had a human body. Jesus said, Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit has not flesh and bones, as you see me have. Luke 24:13 He was 100% human as well as 100% God.
2) Flesh, meaning kinship. This simply has to do with genealogy. “For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh.” Romans 9:3 Here, Paul was speaking of his Jewish heritage.
3) Flesh, as to the weaknesses and desires of being human. These are not sinful qualities, but simply the desires of the flesh that humans are susceptible to, such as hunger, thirst, emotions, etc. “Watch and pray, that you enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:41 Jesus, while in His flesh, was hungry, thirsty, tired, and expressed human emotions. The devil used some of these fleshly desires when tempting Him in the wilderness for 40 days. Matthew 4:3
4) Flesh, as in selfishness, stemming from the old nature. This is the negative aspect of the word and meaning of flesh. “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing.” Romans 7:18 and “For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other.” Galatians 5:17 Our physical bodies aren’t sinful; our old natures are. The actions of our bodies are just expressions of whom we are in, Adam or Jesus.
Final Thoughts: Besides the context of the word flesh that we need to discern, there are modifying words used with it that can alter its meaning. For instance, there is a difference between “being in the flesh,” and “walking after the flesh.” Paul differentiated between them in his letters. Some examples are, “For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.” Romans 7:5 “So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.” Romans 8:8-9 Unbelievers are in the flesh; Christians are in the Spirit. In contrast, to walk after the flesh is to live by serving self. It is the opposite of walking after the Spirit. “That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Romans 8:4 Here, we have a Christian following the leading of the Spirit rather than his own fleshly desires. In conclusion, these seemingly insignificant word studies are not always edifying. Nevertheless, they are necessary, so that we will be found “rightly dividing the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:13

Reactions: Ziggy

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Reminders – The Flesh​
We see the word “flesh” throughout the New Testament, and although it comes from only one Greek word, SARX, its meanings are quite different depending on the context of its usage. We need to seek the Holy Spirit’s intent to understand scripture correctly. If we do not carefully discern the context or proper definition, we will come to false conclusions. There are four basic uses of the word flesh. 1) The physical body. 2) Kinship. 3) Our human desires and weaknesses. 4) The Adamic, or sin nature we are born with as contrasted with the new, spiritual nature received at salvation. In addition, there are words used in conjunction with the flesh such as, “being in,” or, “walking after,” that modify its meaning. Let’s look a little closer at these four.
1) Flesh, meaning a physical body. We see Jesus has flesh because He was born human. “And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us…” John 1:14 When the Scriptures say that Jesus was in the flesh, it is not telling us He was carnal, (which is another word for flesh) but simply that He had a human body. Jesus said, Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit has not flesh and bones, as you see me have. Luke 24:13 He was 100% human as well as 100% God.
2) Flesh, meaning kinship. This simply has to do with genealogy. “For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh.” Romans 9:3 Here, Paul was speaking of his Jewish heritage.
3) Flesh, as to the weaknesses and desires of being human. These are not sinful qualities, but simply the desires of the flesh that humans are susceptible to, such as hunger, thirst, emotions, etc. “Watch and pray, that you enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:41 Jesus, while in His flesh, was hungry, thirsty, tired, and expressed human emotions. The devil used some of these fleshly desires when tempting Him in the wilderness for 40 days. Matthew 4:3
4) Flesh, as in selfishness, stemming from the old nature. This is the negative aspect of the word and meaning of flesh. “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing.” Romans 7:18 and “For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other.” Galatians 5:17 Our physical bodies aren’t sinful; our old natures are. The actions of our bodies are just expressions of whom we are in, Adam or Jesus.
Final Thoughts: Besides the context of the word flesh that we need to discern, there are modifying words used with it that can alter its meaning. For instance, there is a difference between “being in the flesh,” and “walking after the flesh.” Paul differentiated between them in his letters. Some examples are, “For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.” Romans 7:5 “So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.” Romans 8:8-9 Unbelievers are in the flesh; Christians are in the Spirit. In contrast, to walk after the flesh is to live by serving self. It is the opposite of walking after the Spirit. “That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Romans 8:4 Here, we have a Christian following the leading of the Spirit rather than his own fleshly desires. In conclusion, these seemingly insignificant word studies are not always edifying. Nevertheless, they are necessary, so that we will be found “rightly dividing the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:13
It's important to remember that the human being operates on three planes of existence. That is Mind, Emotion and Body. Each plane is just a repeat of the last. Every plane works in exactly the same ways just at different levels of vibration.

In our Body, we are bound by flesh. Pride, desires and passions of the Emotions correspond in nature with out physicle body. That is why hunger as desire corresponds with the need to feed our physicle body and when we get prideful we puff out our chest and feel good about ourself in a physicle sence. Passions, greed, desires are all emotions that correspond with "metirial" possessions, because the metirial realm and the emotional realm hold the same nature and correspond with each other hand in hand.

We are bound by flesh, meaning our physicle body is stuck that way until death. However on the emotional plane, we can learn to not be controlled by our emotions that correspond with our flesh.

Your body is a physicle manifestation of the force of pride. The feeling of pride, lowered in vibration and brought to the physicle plane, becomes a body. Both are the same "tone" only different in "pitch". And that is why the emotion "pride" is considered of the flesh because that's exactly what it is.

Reactions: Ziggy

PATrobas

Jan 17, 2024
Fall River Mills, CA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's important to remember that the human being operates on three planes of existence. That is Mind, Emotion and Body. Each plane is just a repeat of the last. Every plane works in exactly the same ways just at different levels of vibration.

In our Body, we are bound by flesh. Pride, desires and passions of the Emotions correspond in nature with out physicle body. That is why hunger as desire corresponds with the need to feed our physicle body and when we get prideful we puff out our chest and feel good about ourself in a physicle sence. Passions, greed, desires are all emotions that correspond with "metirial" possessions, because the metirial realm and the emotional realm hold the same nature and correspond with each other hand in hand.

We are bound by flesh, meaning our physicle body is stuck that way until death. However on the emotional plane, we can learn to not be controlled by our emotions that correspond with our flesh.

Your body is a physicle manifestation of the force of pride. The feeling of pride, lowered in vibration and brought to the physicle plane, becomes a body. Both are the same "tone" only different in "pitch". And that is why the emotion "pride" is considered of the flesh because that's exactly what it is.
I'm not sure where your information comes from but Scripture teaches that man is indeed tri-parted; Body, Soul, Spirit. The body is simply the expression of input either from the soul (mind, will, emotions and the conscience) or the spirit. The conscience is a poor substitute for the spirit which is dead towards God until born again, but, when it becomes alive, is the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. It is from where we get truth in conjunction with the Word of God.
1John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. :16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. :17 And the world passes away, and the lust thereof: but he that does the will of God abides for ever.

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm not sure where your information comes from but Scripture teaches that man is indeed tri-parted; Body, Soul, Spirit. The body is simply the expression of input either from the soul (mind, will, emotions and the conscience) or the spirit. The conscience is a poor substitute for the spirit which is dead towards God until born again, but, when it becomes alive, is the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. It is from where we get truth in conjunction with the Word of God.
1John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. :16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. :17 And the world passes away, and the lust thereof: but he that does the will of God abides for ever.
That's what I said isn't it? I just used my own words and expressed a deeper philosophical understanding. What I said does not contradict the bible, it only expresses a more complex understanding for those that are more interested than others.

PATrobas

Jan 17, 2024
Fall River Mills, CA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Cor. 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Cor. 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1Cor. 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Cor. 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
Is it that you just accept, then repeat what you are told? Or is it that you have an intuitive understanding, such that you can explain it with your own words?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's just a peel off the ole onion.
You both saying the same thing.
Just a different wording.

I understand vibration, tone and pitch because I love music. And what you say sings to me.
I also understand the biblical application because I love spiritual things.

That's like someone commenting: Isn't that a beautiful Syringa Vulgaris. And I'm scratching my head thinking, it's a lilac bush.
Both are correct. Just a different terminology.

1706409375189.png

Hugs

Reactions: Zachariah.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Flesh is what relates to our terrestrial descent from Adam. This includes the kind of creature we are, our interrelationships with each other, the realm in which we live.

1 Corinthians 15:44-49
(44) It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
(45) And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
(46) Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
(47) The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
(48) As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
(49) And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

Scripture contrasts flesh and spirit,

Galatians 5:17
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Romans 8:5-9
(5) For the ones that are according to flesh mind the things of the flesh. And the ones according to Spirit mind the things of the Spirit.
(6) For the mind of the flesh is death, but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace;
(7) because the mind of the flesh is enmity towards God; for it is not being subjected to the Law of God, for neither can it be.
(8) And those being in the flesh are not able to please God.
(9) But you are not in flesh, but in Spirit, since the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone has not the Spirit of Christ, this one is not His.

Much love!

Reactions: PATrobas and Ziggy