Arguing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn’t it great when we no longer need to have the last word...( not that you ever did) ...when one walks away, for me it’s a huge strength!!....it’s not a weakness..imo of course,xx
The only WORD we NEED IS THE WORD . preach , n teach and spread that .
On the day of the LORD ITS THE WORD OF GOD that gets the last word . And his words will be the judge of all .
Unto those who rejected they are rejected and the lake of fire will be their grave .
Unto those who beleived and love HIM , they will forever be in paradise with HE WHO SAVED THEM .
My words will be YOUR JUDGE .
and i do seem to remember HIM telling the unbeleiving jews
IF you believe not that i AM HE , aka THE CHRIST MESSIAH SAVOIR
then you gonna DIE in your sins .
I also seem to remember him telling all who had not repented to believe on HIM
IT will be far worse for ye than er it was for sodom on the day of judgment .
And he told this to his own desciples to tell to those they would preach the gospel too and would reject .
Shake even the dust off your feet as a testimony against them , it will be worse for that city
than er it was for sodom on the DAY OF JUDGMENT .
EVER WORD JESUS SAID IS TRUTH , AS HE IS TRUTH and cannot lie .
BUT UNTO all who come unto HIM , HE SAID ETERNAL LIFE . its real simple . truly so simple even a child o GOD can grasp it
and that is this , IF JESUS SAID IT , IT BE TRUTH . it is to be believed . not twisted or omitted .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lest ye be converted as children you willl in no wise enter into the kingdom of GOD .
this little child knows something and that by grace
IF JESUS SAID IT , BY GOLLY ITS TRUTH as HE IS TRUTH and cannot lie
as GOD IS TRUTH and cannot lie . IF the apostels , who were inspired by the SPIRIT
wrote it , by golly its truth . High time we find a love relationship with them words in that bible again .
For what i say to one i do say to all , we have far too many decievers
who have come in their own name and in the name of what they think is love and or of GOD
only ITS TWISTING HIS WORDS unto their own destruction . and GOD would not , CHRIST Would not
THE SPIRIT would not DO SUCH A THING . for TRUTH IS TRUTH , the SPIRIT IS TRUTH , GOD IS TRUTH , JESUS IS TRUTH
HIS WORDS ARE TRUTH . watch out . do watch out .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to start an argument, but will you ever tire of making generic posts in every thread having nothing to do with the OP?

War is bad.
For me to continually remind all of the dire necessity to never once believe the all inclusive lie
and rather remind all to always remember and to teach the DIRE NEED TO BELEIVE ON JESUS THE CHRIST
is not griveious to me , but for many its safe . OH i am gonna remind and remind and remind
and remind till either my last breath or the LORD do come .
for far too many now beleive in a lie that muslims and others are serving the same God we do
and that there is no need to repent and believe on JESUS the CHRIST . THAT BE A LIE
and the ONLY NAME that can save IS THE ONLY NAME ME IS GONNA ALWAYS REMIND ABOUT . THAT BE JESUS THE CHRIST
and the dire need to repent and believe ON HIM . be encouraged my friend .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To those who are able leap up , dance a jig of praise around the house unto the LORD .
if you are disabled or perhaps have joint issues
then JUST RAISE THOSE HANDS N PRAISE N THANK THE LORD .

• Love

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What’s it about?

I would like some insight from you guys?..xx
Arguing is about one person vs another person. Me against you. You against me. Win/Lose.

Debate, on the other hand, is my idea vs your idea. A mutual search for the truth with an exchange of facts.

There is a distinct difference between the two.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a distinct difference between the two.
Exactly right! Though our society uses the terms interchangeably.

We notice people argue in our common experience. Only later do we become aware of formal impersonable debates. What are called Presidential debates bare no resemblance to actual formal debates.

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Jesus said, do not resist evil.
Yes, retaliating against an evil person does not further the cause of peace for either party....Matthew 5:39
(Mat 5:39) But I say to you: Do not resist him that is evil but whoever hits you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also.

It is even worse if one retaliates against a righteous person, within the Body.
(1Th 5:14) And we exhort you, brothers, warn the disorderly, encourage the fainthearted, support the weak, be longsuffering toward all.
(1Th 5:15) See that no one repays anyone evil with evil, but always follow after that which is good one toward another and toward all.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You disagree? Wonderful. Let's discuss why you disagree. :tearsofjoy:
The irony wasn't lost on me as I made the post. :Laughingoutloud:
My background includes business development and team building. If you recognize that dissent - rather than dissent, I'd call it diversity, differing opinions and perspectives-- but in any case- disagreement drives change and creativity... those are rather positive outcomes.
Diversity has kind of turned into a dirty word nowadays. Blame the schools.

We used to have The Loyal Opposition and the Devil's Advocate. These filled the same function of offering alternative ideas, but without the muss and fuss of mentally dividing a workplace into Us vs Them. But I digress...
If- while driving change and creativity, the community isn't strengthened, then that's a symptom of the community itself, isn't it? I would think that to be a sign that the community needs changing. A community that cannot tolerate disagreement (and diversity) isn't a community worth keeping.
There's no obvious reason for that to be true.

Diversity is overrated. Every community necessarily has period of norming where people come to align on most things. Even if you start with a variety of views, the community will eventually coalesce around certain ones, and those will come to define the community.

And again, what goal exactly are we driving towards? A church isn't a business there to make money (well, ideally) and it isn't a research facility trying to understand something new. The church's function is primarily one of social support, a sort of extended family.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was around 14 years old, my family was having some gathering. My mom picked up a leaf off the ground ...giggled and said to a few of us, "Watch this. I'm gonna ask them what kind of tree this came off of and there'll be an argument." And you know, she was right?!! lol

Some people just have to be right and feed on conflict.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tend to spend more time with people who have similar beliefs and convictions ...and when disagreements happen, we have a common footing and foundation that we can go back to.

Amos 3:3
[3]Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That’s not only what God says...

2 Timothy 2:23-26 Stay away from foolish and stupid arguments. You know that these arguments grow into bigger arguments. As a servant of the Lord, you must not argue.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I tend to spend more time with people who have similar beliefs and convictions ...and when disagreements happen, we have a common footing and foundation that we can go back to.

Amos 3:3
[3]Can two walk together, except they be agreed?
Amen!!

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Commentary...lot of truth in these words, imo.xx

Matthew 7:5reveals that fault-finders focus on everyone's faults but their own and won't hesitate to point them out. In my experience, they will criticize but rarely compliment. Fault-finding is an earthly, sensual, and demonic outlook or attitude.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Some people just have to be right and feed on conflict.
YES!!!...I was once this person....I NEVER want to go back to that place again.

It’s far better to ignore the person, that imo triggers a reaction from me.....than to set that cycle in motion again....xxx

• Love

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The disciples argued among themselves.
That's a great point. I often remind people that Paul did not command us to get along but lamented that we should.

One thing about a debate compared to argument. I can deny the logic of my idea is wrong but admit that my heated argument was wrong, such as making personal attacks.

In our feminized society, people confuse facts with feelings. Because the argument made you feel a certain way does not mean it is wrong. I suppose the greater argument is that it is not about one side or the other being wrong; it's about maintaining the relationship through the process.

For instance, my wife often asks why my answer is no to something she asks. She doesn't care what the reason is! She wants to attack the reason. I used to ask my ex-wife "if I said yes, would I have to explain why?" Therefore, I remind her:
"No" does not require an explanation.

• Love
Reactions: Mr E

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting commentary.

40. Confronting the Disciples' Pride (Luke 9:46-56)​

by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Gospel Parallels §§129, 130, 137
Audio (33:32)
Free E-mail Bible Study Bible study King Solomon: Wisdom, Wealth, Weakness
James J. Tissot, detail of 'Jesus and the Little Child' (1886-94),

James J. Tissot, detail of 'Jesus and the Little Child' (1886-94), gouache on gray wove paper, 5.7 x 9.3 in., Brooklyn Museum, New York.
"46 An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest. 47 Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him. 48 Then he said to them, 'Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all -- he is the greatest.'

49 'Master,' said John, 'we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us.' 50 'Do not stop him,' Jesus said, 'for whoever is not against you is for you.'

51 As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem. 52 And he sent messengers on ahead, who went into a Samaritan village to get things ready for him; 53 but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem. 54 When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, 'Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?' 55 But Jesus turned and rebuked them, 56 and they went to another village." (Luke 9:46-56, NIV)

So many leaders are followers of their egos and their need for affirmation from others. Jesus' disciples were no different than you or I in this regard.

If you were scouring the Twelve disciples for candidates for the biggest ego, whom would you nominate?

Peter comes to mind first. He is bold and brash, and sometimes resists what Jesus wanted to teach or do (see Matthew 16:22 and John 13:6-9). He boasts, for example, that though the other disciples may fall away, that he never will (Matthew 26:33).

But the brothers Jesus nicknamed "the sons of thunder" -- James and John, the sons of Zebedee -- come in a close second. Through their mother, they seek to be granted the right to sit at his right and left hand in the kingdom (Matthew 20:20-22; Mark 10:35-38). What chutzpah!

Why is it that the Three whom Jesus took aside -- Peter, James, and John -- had such a problem with pride? Did Jesus' special attention inflate their egos? Perhaps. But they were the natural leaders who needed special instruction. What makes a leader believe that others will follow or want to follow him or her? What makes a leader desire to lead, come out on top in a group of people, and naturally extend influence over the others? Leaders have their own set of strengths and weaknesses. Pride can be one of these. Only when self-centeredness and self-confidence are surrendered to Jesus, can leaders really be servants. And so Jesus works with his leader-disciples and the rest of them about their pride.

Who Is the Greatest? (Luke 9:46)​

"An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest." (Luke 9:46)

The disciples have been arguing. The Greek word is used here is dialogismos, "doubt, dispute, argument."348 Three times, and maybe more, the disciples argue about which of them would be the greatest -- here in 9:46-48, just before Jesus' final ministry in Jerusalem (Matthew 20:20-28), and, amazingly, at the Last Supper (Luke 22:24), which probably prompted Jesus to wash the disciples' feet and so teach them true humility (John 13:4-17). This was an ongoing problem, one that wasn't learned the first time Jesus taught his disciples.

The question the disciples are arguing about is not who is the greatest, but who will be the greatest.349 The Greek word is meizōn, the comparative form of megas, "large, great."350 They were seeking greatness of rank and dignity, of importance and status. This is not the pursuit of excellence as a disciple or as a minister of Christ -- a good thing. Some, at least, of what we see every four years in the Olympics is the pursuit of the goal of doing the best you can do. Unfortunately, some athletes, along with Jesus' disciples today, are caught up in the pursuit of status, the acclaim of others, always with the idea of comparison with others -- greater than, better than, more recognized than, better known than. Fortunately, I guess, this sort of pride isn't very subtle, and can be easily recognized -- especially by others.

When I was in college, one of my aspirations was to be a truly effective worship leader -- and I thought I was pretty good at it, too, and hoped that others were noticing. One Easter break, I attended a conference on an old camp meeting grounds outside of Waco, Texas. The worship leader at the conference was a missionary named Doyle Brymer. He had a gentle spirit and a great love for Jesus. As he led the songs during one evening service, I observed him carefully. He was an "okay" song leader, but not "excellent," I surmised. But I began to realize that he had no consciousness of who might be looking at him or might be thinking about him; he was lost in love with Jesus. Pride had no place in him. But it did have a considerable place in me who coveted his position. I remember coming forward at the conclusion of that service broken and weeping -- all I could see was Doyle Brymer's transparent love for Jesus contrasted with my ugly acclaim-seeking pride. This was by no means the only time God has dealt with me over my pride, but it was one of the early and clarifying experiences as he has been seeking to form me in Jesus' image.

A Little Child at Jesus' Side (Luke 9:47)​

"Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him." (Luke 9:47)

On this occasion, Jesus uses a child to make a point. Children in Jesus' day were regarded with little importance or esteem. Yes, their parents had sentimental thoughts about them, but they weren't looked on as innocent; rather filled with foolishness that the rod might drive away (Proverbs 22:15). Children were part of the covenant, but not considered responsible members of the community until the age of 12 or 13. Children had no status.351

Jesus used children for examples a number of times, so it is important that we don't conflate in our minds these various incidents.

• Unless we humble ourselves and become like children, we won't enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:3-4)
  • Don't prevent children from coming to Jesus, for "of such is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 19:14)
  • Unless we receive the kingdom of God like a child we shall not enter it. (Mark 10:15; Luke 18:17)
So detach your mind from those incidents and look closely at this one. Here, Jesus takes a little child and stands the child next to him -- Jesus, tall, on one side, the child, short in comparison, on the other. Jesus is now one of the most famous men in all Galilee, while the little child is an unknown outside his village, and in his village has no status whatsoever. Jesus is making a stark contrast. But first he must get the disciples' attention.

.​

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s not only what God says...

2 Timothy 2:23-26 Stay away from foolish and stupid arguments. You know that these arguments grow into bigger arguments. As a servant of the Lord, you must not argue.
What i was saying was we Need JESUS the CHRIST . as in the ONLY WORD we NEED is THE WORD .
And by all means keep far from such things such as foolish debates of men who debate such ideals .
In fact he even tells timothy to flee such . aka dont sit under and dont heed such men who teach contrary to
the true doctrine .