Arguing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You disagree? Wonderful. Let's discuss why you disagree. :tearsofjoy:

My background includes business development and team building. If you recognize that dissent - rather than dissent, I'd call it diversity, differing opinions and perspectives-- but in any case- disagreement drives change and creativity... those are rather positive outcomes.

If- while driving change and creativity, the community isn't strengthened, then that's a symptom of the community itself, isn't it? I would think that to be a sign that the community needs changing. A community that cannot tolerate disagreement (and diversity) isn't a community worth keeping.
Even God allowed and tolerated disagreement. Lucifer being a case in point. One could say, 'lets see how your position works out'

It ultimately throws a spanner into how predestination is understood by many.

Reactions: Mr E

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yes, God will let us carry on arguing......he certainly doesn’t want us throwing personal insults at each other, ..what happens if you continue when you know in your heart it’s “ wrong”....well, this lady has no intention of finding out...I have been chastised by God in the past and it hurts....I’m not going back there again....

Nothing wrong in disagreeing....it’s how one disagrees is the key.......maybe some of us are weaker in that area...I dunno....

Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's THE question!

"Community" may be insufficiently specific. Here is the balance between unity and diversity.

Achieving a goal requires unity. My wife and I are planning a vacation. We can't go on vacation together if she goes west and I go east.

Once we have unity on the goal, we can embrace diversity of achieving that goal. For instance, for our 10th anniversary, she wants to go back to Vegas were we honeymooned, in part. How do we get there? Let's weigh the options. What are the pro's and con's?

A basic problem in our country is the vision of what our country is to become. The problem is not a lack of diversity but a lack of unity. Implied by Leftists is minorities are Leftists. When reality bites them, they lose their minds. This explains the abject hatred they have for Clarence Thomas and Sarah Palin.

This is a terrific analogy. You need unity of direction, which doesn't at all require agreement on all points. Walking together in community can include diversity of thought and opinion and even a degree of unhappiness, if that makes sense. That's where humility comes into play, where members can exercise grace and be willing to give as they receive.

Let's go to Vegas!

I hate Vegas..... but it's our anniversary, and I know going there will bring back fond memories and make you happy.

Socks and sandals on...... I'm in the car.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not all arguments are really arguments per say.

Sadly we have some who think they are right, and will attack anyone who disagrees with them.. That is when a simple discussions turns into an argument..

Let them....

It takes two to tango. Don't.

• Love

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problem whatsoever by being ignored, I’m very secure within myself ,in that area...plus it’s better to ignore some than to get embroiled in petty arguing with them....that’s why we have the ignore option....I love it!!........we can still be tempted to react.......so best hit that ignore button..imo.
It can be used as a tool also.

Its not a good thing at all.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
defend HIMSELF . He didnt . yet how often DID JESUS correct error when he seen it .
There is a huge difference between defending oneself verses defending and contending for THE TRUTH .
As i am sure you know .
How mighty stephen taught the doctrine and pointed to Christ and exposed their errors
and yet HE did not defend himself when they came against him . .
See the difference . I aint in it to defend me one bit .
I am , however , in it to defend and to contend for the true faith , to correct errors of false doctrines
and sins within the church . to expose the wolves and their doctrines
and to do all to correct . Either we take a stand now or prepare to watch the house fall .
I know many are not gonna hear or heed , but still my desire was good for them
and still some will hear . We make our stand now with whatever time we have left to us in this world .
Now on that note , let all that has breath praise and thank the LORD .
The only problem is YOUR truth has to be true

So many people claim they are defending the truth, when they themselves do not have the truth.

Thats where the "argument" comes in.

• Sad
Reactions: amigo de christo

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Commentary.

the pot calling the kettle black​

used to convey that the criticisms a person is aiming at someone else could equally well apply to themselves.
'the Council is complaining that the post office is slow at communication—talk about pot calling the kettle black!'

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What’s it about?

I would like some insight from you guys?..xx
Late to your topic. I’ve been thinking a lot about opinions lately. To me opinions have became really loud. In the world there are loud opinions. It seems they are only becoming louder. It’s everywhere you turn: big, loud, strong opinions. I am just as bad because I get to where I feel like I’m drowning and start to fight back. To me that is arguing. I guess that means I participate in it too and I would be a fool to think I don’t. how do you handle strong opinions? Do we ignore them? Do we let them shout so loud their opinion which is the only opinion that matters, and drown out any other? Maybe those are stupid questions but on the topic of arguing, I think strong opinion is at the heart of it. Where “my opinion is the only opinion that matters.” Maybe sometimes strong delusions too. What is it they say opinions are like …where everyone has one?

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
true,

But he still did nto defend himself. his belief or attack his accusers.
Not to sound like I'm adding another excuse here, although his Father was also directing traffic for his Son. His Son was disciplined and did his Father's will. And in this case, avoiding any useless response to those who were ignorant of the truth that he was preaching.

• Love

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What’s it about?

I would like some insight from you guys?..xx
Hi Ritajanice, And how are you all? Going along with you all, Different opinions may have a lot to do with arguing, but must be settled by the word of God we think, but what about you?

Love, Walter And Debbie

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Titus 3:9-11 "But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned."

I have no problem making use of my ignore button.

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Late to your topic. I’ve been thinking a lot about opinions lately. To me opinions have became really loud. In the world there are loud opinions. It seems they are only becoming louder. It’s everywhere you turn: big, loud, strong opinions. I am just as bad because I get to where I feel like I’m drowning and start to fight back. To me that is arguing. I guess that means I participate in it too and I would be a fool to think I don’t. how do you handle strong opinions? Do we ignore them? Do we let them shout so loud their opinion which is the only opinion that matters, and drown out any other? Maybe those are stupid questions but on the topic of arguing, I think strong opinion is at the heart of it. Where “my opinion is the only opinion that matters.” Maybe sometimes strong delusions too. What is it they say opinions are like …where everyone has one?
Great post..I too have been thinking about opinions and I, like you have become entangled in “ opinions “..I think if we can see outside of our opinions, that they aren’t always right, ..an opinion isn’t right though is it Victory in Jesus, it’s just our opinion....? Xx

It’s when the members start stating that their opinion is right, as I’ve also been guilty of doing,....what they do is, “ Force you to agree with their opinion “, therefore if you don’t, they start throwing insults...been there done that.

They start slating your character, then get others involved, it’s like children in the playground...

Tomorrow I am meeting a friend for coffee, she’s very keen on voicing her opinion of me.....and seems to love me agreeing with her opinion, some of her opinions of me is very negative ....it’s going to be an interesting coffee meet tomorrow......I have a few opinions of her, that I will be throwing her way,hehe, it will be interesting to see if she reacts or acts in a mature way....xx

I have learnt an awful lot about opinions this past week, including my own....all they are , are opinions...no more valid or invalid than anyone else’s.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Titus 3:9-11 "But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned."

I have no problem making use of my ignore button.
Best option I ever found.....being bombarded imo with negativity...is so unedifying...therefore imo ,press the ignore button....I’ve had enough of drama...including my own drama, I look back and think, what was that all about....attention seeking maybe...not knowing how to get the proper attention.....only knowing how to get negative attention...personally I think it’s a “ learnt” behaviour , it starts in ones childhood.

Just my opinion.xx

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ritajanice, And how are you all? Going along with you all, Different opinions may have a lot to do with arguing, but must be settled by the word of God we think, but what about you?

Love, Walter And Debbie
I was just thinking that, Walter, it must be settled by the word of God....100% agree.xx

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It can be used as a tool also.
Interesting point, how can it be used as a tool? xx ( the ignore button)
Its not a good thing at all.
I think the Like button can also be used as a tool, don’t you?

I have been guilty of using the like button as a tool...because I had a personal vendetta against someone , ...looking back...how terribly childish and immature....I feel very embarrassed to admit to it, but, it is the truth!...and it’s good to get it off your chest, so to speak.xx

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we are really seeing this today. Especially in the LGBTQ world. So how do we react when someone says that He is a she.. Do we lie and call them a her. Do we offend them and call them a He. How do we love them. Because apart from loving them. they will nto come to Christ to be healed.

Its a question that is a hard one to answer, and many ARGUMENTS will come about even discussing it (to prove your point)

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to sound like I'm adding another excuse here, although his Father was also directing traffic for his Son. His Son was disciplined and did his Father's will. And in this case, avoiding any useless response to those who were ignorant of the truth that he was preaching.
He still did not stand up for the truth

Like many people do today, jumping and down and say you are offending me, and falsly accusing me.

She spoke not a word..

My point is sometimes I think we should do this.. Myself included.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To me it's a sad thing when people choose to say nothing, when they disagree.

They worry about offending someone, so they keep their opinions to themselves-- or they get shouted down by really loud (and obnoxious) people who don't actually want a discussion if it involves disagreement... they can only accept compliance.

In the marketplace of ideas- you have to give voice to your own. If someone gets offended-- that's kind of a 'them' problem. You can't control how someone feels about your perspective, so don't even try. I throw spitballs all the time, some stick and some don't-- it doesn't matter to me either way.

Pie holes. Everybody has one.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do we lie and call them a her. Do we offend them and call them a He.
It depends on what you value more, truth or not giving offense?

Saying I value loving them is besides the point. If only dictators throughout history used the approach that if you do not submit to my dictates, I'll be offended ... so many lives could have been saved. :oops: