Atheist and Christian Dating

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
Would this be such a wrong thing? Tell me that. I have always had the question.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Honestly I think it would depend on why they are Atheists and the kind of person they areI dont think there is a black and white answer to this that can apply to all.Some say they are atheist because they never heard the Word never understood the love of the father. to those we need to teach themOthers will refuse to accept God as a reality no matter what to those God has said 2 Cor.6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?So each case must be looked at individually, just do get emotionally attached till you find these things out.thats my thought on it anyway

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
Yeah kriss. Like I hear a lot of omg she or he is atheist you can not date them! Maybe this is a way for them to listen to you!

truth_seeker

Mar 26, 2008
there's no law againts it. but why would an atheist date a christian? or why would a christian date an atheist? they would know they would get into quarrels. however, if a christian can open the atheist's mind & heart to consider the possibility that god is real, then amen. but also, be weary that an atheist might challenged your faith to point of giving up on your faith all together.i wouldn't encourage it. it would only depend on how strong that christian is.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
Yes, it really all depends on the individuals. What kind of athiest the person is and how strong a christian the other is.

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
(ForYou;47210)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atTSwau9fwM&feature=relatedIf you marry her, this guy will be your dad-in-law.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
This is a more widely asked question. Some is personal but I like a christian

Craig19

Apr 26, 2008
I think its a very dangerous area and one has to be very carefull. The people you mix with are the way you become. I think if you married a non-Christian it is wrong like the verse kriss quoted says but if you really believe in the relationship pray and pray and pray some more that God might soften the persons heart towards Him.Don't think you can change a person after you married if the person might become a christian while you are developing a friendship I'd say go for it but be very carefull bad company corrupts the good no matter how strong your faith is

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Craig19;47282)
Don't think you can change a person after you married if the person might become a christian while you are developing a friendship I'd say go for it but be very carefull bad company corrupts the good no matter how strong your faith is
very good point Craig

Reymus

Jan 30, 2008
I gotta comment on this one, as I used to be the atheist in a relationship with a Christian.I grew up an atheist, got involved in Wicca as a teen, went back to atheism because I figured the Wiccans were just as ridiculous as I thought the Christians were.Only after being dragged to church to hold onto our relationship, did I find out that Christians weren't quite as useless as I'd thought. After a couple of years of being dragged to church, I finally saw the light, and was born-again.It took years, but it happened. It can be the most powerful form of evangelizing, if you're careful with it.RegardsReymus

Apr 28, 2008
I don't even believe in the whole "dating" thing anyway, it only leads to sin, (even if it doesn't then it is still pain and hurt when you separate). It is better just to stay away from it.

medicalmatt

Jul 22, 2007
I don't think God likes Christian/Atheist dating. Sure good things can come from it, but God can use any situation for His will. Even a mere dating relationship like that is unequal yoking."Dating" is a sore subject for me, since the views my parents forced onto me about it really screwed me up and left me absolutely unprepared for a relationship. I now tend to see dating as A) practice for marriage,
cool.gif
learning what kinds of traits etc you need/can't stand, C) seeing if the person is the mate God has intended for you. My parents stressed the last point overly, basically stating that if I was not in a position where I could potentially marry the person, I had no business dating her. I now strongly disagree with that, and somewhat mourn the potential relationships I could have deepened over the years.At the same time, I say, the meaningless, self-serving, mostly physical, garbage dating that the world tries to pawn off as "relationships" are extremely harmful and dangerous, and should be avoided like the plague by a Christian. It should be very easy to see the differnce between a Christiand and non-Christian dating relationship.Which, is why a Christian/Atheist relationship is not a good thing. The only things a Christian and Atheist can share are A) Superficial things, which can be shared in a friendship relationship, and
cool.gif
physical intimacy, which has little or no place (depending on the level) in anything but marriage. Dating is experiencing and sharing things on a level that requires the same common foundation...Christ.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(ForYou;47210)
Yes, it would be very unwise decision.
2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
First, we should not "date" unless we think we could someday marry that person. Otherwise, what is the point? We are wasting our time, temping ourselves, God, and wasting His time, not to mention the one we are "dating".On that note... there is no possible way to yoke oneself with someone moreso than one marries another. This is indeed to be yoked till death do you part...We are not to be equally yoked with unbelievers... and what is more unbelieving than an atheist who does not believe?

walking4him

Mar 31, 2008
I don't get how someone could date an atheist. They don't at all believe in God, Jesus, nothing. What kind of conversations can you have? Sure a few hey how's the weather and maybe about school. But so much of everyones lives is shaped by their beliefs. When they talk about a dirty joke or somehow or movie they want to see how do you rectify that?

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(Reymus;47462)
I gotta comment on this one, as I used to be the atheist in a relationship with a Christian.I grew up an atheist, got involved in Wicca as a teen, went back to atheism because I figured the Wiccans were just as ridiculous as I thought the Christians were.Only after being dragged to church to hold onto our relationship, did I find out that Christians weren't quite as useless as I'd thought. After a couple of years of being dragged to church, I finally saw the light, and was born-again.It took years, but it happened. It can be the most powerful form of evangelizing, if you're careful with it.RegardsReymus
No offense, but your experience is trumped by God's Word. Your experience can only give insight into a particular instance of when God used a loved one in spite of His instruction.
2 Corinthians 6:14: Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
The most powerful form of evangelism is to know God's Word and keep it. Do not date an atheist. It is profoundly unwise and lacks obedience to God's Word or the character of Christ.

Kimshi42

Dec 27, 2007
So how would you get married? Arranged marriage?(True_to_the_end!;47631)
I don't even believe in the whole "dating" thing anyway, it only leads to sin, (even if it doesn't then it is still pain and hurt when you separate). It is better just to stay away from it.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(Kimshi42;47783)
So how would you get married? Arranged marriage?
Yes. God will arrange your marriage. He will put the person in your life, and you will know. You will then persue fellowship with them that will eventually develope into God's perfect will for your life, in marriage.Prayer works. It's how I got married.

Craig19

Apr 26, 2008
How can you say dating is practise for marriage? It is actually practise for divorse date someone you like and when things get tough you bail OMW how anti marriage can you get.I agree with true to the end. And you ask how will you get married well if it is God's will He will arrange it.There are some very strong books on these subjects and you will find all the people who skipped dating and let God arrange there marriage had happy endings.