Avoiding Materialism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is an ad for a dress on sale for $600 on my screen.

While I can't say Ive ever spent that much on a dress, sometimes I question whether I'm materialistic. My closet is full of secondhand clothing but am I putting my treasures on earth rather than heaven?

While I figure this out, Ive made it a goal not to buy any more clothes for myself unless I need them or until next year.

I don't think shopping for fun is wrong. But when I think about my closet, I wonder if its a bit excessive, especially when Jesus said its better to give than to recieve.

I wonder if anyone else struggles with materialism or how to define it. How do you develop habits that lead to more giving? Anyone embracing minimalism?

Reactions: Azim and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

While I can't say Ive ever spent that much on a dress, sometimes I question whether I'm materialistic. My closet is full of secondhand clothing but am I putting my treasures on earth rather than heaven?

While I figure this out, Ive made it a goal not to buy any more clothes for myself unless I need them or until next year.

I don't think shopping for fun is wrong. But when I think about my closet, I wonder if its a bit excessive, especially when Jesus said its better to give than to recieve.

I wonder if anyone else struggles with materialism or how to define it. How do you develop habits that lead to more giving? Anyone embracing minimalism?

Oh sister, I throw things out or donate them all the time. I am at heart a minimalist. I have only a few dresses and wear them very infrequently. Am mostly comfortable in jeans and a Tee.
My home does not have much, only what I need and fashion? Lol...that took a back seat to comfort a very long time ago.
There is nothing wrong in buying for yourself some things you want but, I know what you mean about the amount of "things" possibly being too much...I have been a thrift store shopper for decades and have gotten some great outfits for pennies on the dollar.

Giving is something God puts on my heart. Wasn't always like that! Hated to let go of my money in giving decades ago but, as He grew me, He puts it on my heart to give when and where I am able to, as He has blessed me. I am cheerful to give now!

What I do have, God say's not to feel guilty but, grateful :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, perhaps you could take up sewing and make and design your own clothes! :Hanging:

Reactions: Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Minimalism is a hot trend on Youtube. After watching a couple videos, Im ready to declutter our apartment.

The hard part might be going through the 3000 emails I have.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mother-in-law says I can use her sewing machine and show me how to use it. I think that would be great if I knew how to make clothes.
Awesome! You just follow the pattern, I KNOW you can do it!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Minimalism is a hot trend on Youtube. After watching a couple videos, Im ready to declutter our apartment.

The hard part might be going through the 3000 emails I have.
Ahahaha! IKR? Hate all the emails and I don't get on it much anymore, except for the one I have for bills only.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My mother-in-law says I can use her sewing machine and show me how to use it. I think that would be great if I knew how to make clothes.
However, since you already have a closet full of clothes, just say "No Thank You". Then donate as many clothes as you feel you can do without. It is amazing how popular the second-hand stores are today.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

hey hey! Instead of a mind set of 'acquiring' is it not better to have the mindset of 'divesting' when it come's to the world of the material?
The mindset of 'acquisition' will never deliver satisfaction from its objective.....at least not for very long...when the novelty becomes dull.

'Divesting'.....who can bear it? It appears to promise loss when in fact it is the roadmap to 'more than enough' and 'enough to give away'
Scripture uses the term 'shaken together, pressed down and overflowing'

Reactions: Nancy and Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I definitely got inspired and have packed over 3 full trash bags of clothes to donate. I had a lot of fun challenging myself to limit my clothing selection to 10 pieces for each season.

Giving clothes away is the easy part. It's not adding new pieces that are unnessary thats a problem.

I think having less clothes will actually be a big relief. It will make selecting what to wear easier and ensure I wear everything I own.

I created four capsule wardrobes but its no big deal. Hubby's entire wardrobe is just a capsulw wardrobe.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I definitely got inspired and have packed over 3 full trash bags of clothes to donate. I had a lot of fun challenging myself to limit my clothing selection to 10 pieces for each season.

Giving clothes away is the easy part. It's not adding new pieces that are unnessary thats a problem.

I think having less clothes will actually be a big relief. It will make selecting what to wear easier and ensure I wear everything I own.

I created four capsule wardrobes but its no big deal. Hubby's entire wardrobe is just a capsulw wardrobe.
I have three shirts in regular use and two pairs of shorts......anything else is there to give away :eek:
I must admit, my workshop has a few tools......for bending, for straightening and for banging :rolleyes:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Giving clothes away is the easy part. It's not adding new pieces that are unnecessary that's a problem.
Here's a simple solution. Each time you have the urge to add to your wardrobe, send Nancy a check for $100 so that she can "keep on giving" to the less fortunate. And let Nancy know that she absolutely must not add to her wardrobe! Otherwise you will ask for a refund.:D

Reactions: Nancy and Wynona

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I must admit, my workshop has a few tools......for bending, for straightening and for banging
As long as they are not used on people, you should be fine. Once you start "straightening" your neighbors, there could be repercussions.

Reactions: Lambano

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose I'm a minimalist because I feel "weighted down" if I have too many earthly possessions, so I only buy the minimum that I need.
Same with money, I hate having too much so I like to give dollops of it to assorted charities and deserving causes..:)

Reactions: Wynona and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a simple solution. Each time you have the urge to add to your wardrobe, send Nancy a check for $100 so that she can "keep on giving" to the less fortunate. And let Nancy know that she absolutely must not add to her wardrobe! Otherwise you will ask for a refund.:D
:Laughingoutloud: No worries there, clothes are nothing more to me than a covering, as long as they are in good repair and fit well, I'm happy :)

Reactions: Wynona

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
:Laughingoutloud: No worries there, clothes are nothing more to me than a covering, as long as they are in good repair and fit well, I'm happy :)
@Nancy My wife wears a lot of denim; a simple, durable material.

Of course, some ppl are so into minimalism that they try to insist on no necklace, bare earlobes, etc..........

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy My wife wears a lot of denim; a simple, durable material.

Of course, some ppl are so into minimalism that they try to insist on no necklace, bare earlobes, etc..........
I see nothing wrong with a bit of Jewelry Farouk. I sometimes wear ear rings, bracelets or necklaces. I suppose if one is dripping jewelry, that can be overboard and like, "hey, look at me" kind of thing. I don't think we should draw attention to ourselves like that. JMO :)

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi @Wynona Admittedly in history some styles were flamboyant from today's perspective (Edwardian, even Victorian at times); but IMHO there is no need to go to the other extreme and insist on a very minimalism version of 'modesty': true modesty radiates well; it's not a 'rule' to be imposed by legalists in an extreme way.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Wynona Admittedly in history some styles were flamboyant from today's perspective (Edwardian, even Victorian at times); but IMHO there is no need to go to the other extreme and insist on a very minimalism version of 'modesty': true modesty radiates well; it's not a 'rule' to be imposed by legalists in an extreme way.

I think modesty is an inward virtue. But if women are personally convicted to have higher modesty standards or simply want to follow their church's standards, I think thats fine too.

Even if a woman is following a standard you think is unnesscessary, it doesn't necessarily make her less spiritual. Scripture says the person without scruples shouldn't let their freedom offend the person with scruples.