Beautiful Cakes.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are those who have this sculpture talent.
I never could even though i tried many times but I was always envious of those who could do this.

My sculptures always looked rather childish and juvenile attempts at best. My cake flavors and scroll work was good though. Just couldn't make the huge pretty sculptures out of multiple layers like these are.

So I stayed out of the Patisserie kitchen. (Besides it was full of Austrians)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be having a baptism cake soon! Let's hope it's as good as these!
@Stitch When is you baptism? I hope you enjoy it as much as I did mine. I didn't have a cake , I never heard of that before. My baptism was one of the best days of my life. Our church fellowship didn't have a baptismal pool at the time so we borrowed a little Baptist church one and we all crowded in on a hot May evening. It was very special. I had belonged to the Anglican church when I was saved but when I wanted to be baptised I couldn't because they counted my infant Christening as baptism so I had to leave and go to a different church.

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There are those who have this sculpture talent.
I never could even though i tried many times but I was always envious of those who could do this.

My sculptures always looked rather childish and juvenile attempts at best. My cake flavors and scroll work was good though. Just couldn't make the huge pretty sculptures out of multiple layers like these are.

So I stayed out of the Patisserie kitchen. (Besides it was full of Austrians)
I have found that sometimes the cake part of these fancy cakes can be a bit disappointing. The cake for my grand daughter's 16th birthday looked lovely but was horrible inside, dry like it had been stored in a fridge.

My Welsh cousin Donald was a lorry driver and his hobby was decorating cakes. He did some lovely ones for family occasions.

Stitch

Mar 9, 2024
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Stitch When is you baptism? I hope you enjoy it as much as I did mine. I didn't have a cake , I never heard of that before. My baptism was one of the best days of my life. Our church fellowship didn't have a baptismal pool at the time so we borrowed a little Baptist church one and we all crowded in on a hot May evening. It was very special. I had belonged to the Anglican church when I was saved but when I wanted to be baptised I couldn't because they counted my infant Christening as baptism so I had to leave and go to a different church.
I don't know, I'm speaking about it with the priest today.

Glad yours was so enjoyable :)

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have found that sometimes the cake part of these fancy cakes can be a bit disappointing. The cake for my grand daughter's 16th birthday looked lovely but was horrible inside, dry like it had been stored in a fridge.

My Welsh cousin Donald was a lorry driver and his hobby was decorating cakes. He did some lovely ones for family occasions.
I've never had the issue of the cake flavor being disappointing. White is usually rich and full flavored. Chocolate is good but difficult because the recipe I've misplaced at the moment holds so much moisture (in order not to be dry) the cake wants to fall apart quite easily....even when Frozen while icing. (It thaws quickly and firms up the buttercream nice)
The white cake I use is leavened by both baking powder and egg whites beaten stiff and folded in. It's rich but fluffy. I don't use pre-made mixes. (my days of owning a bakery holding me hostage here) They don't hold up well for me or taste so good anymore like they did when I was younger.

I was thinking of coconut cake for Easter....you know, the whole 7 minute icing routine....but my wife wants pound cakes for Strawberry Shortcake. I gotta get a start on the baking here in a couple of days on the pound cakes and breads. (Limited number of pans here at the house)
My wife's family is coming for Easter....like 30+ of them. Egg hunts and scavenger hunts for the kids. I'm imagining controlled chaos.

Oh well....it will be fun.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've never had the issue of the cake flavor being disappointing. White is usually rich and full flavored. Chocolate is good but difficult because the recipe I've misplaced at the moment holds so much moisture (in order not to be dry) the cake wants to fall apart quite easily....even when Frozen while icing. (It thaws quickly and firms up the buttercream nice)
The white cake I use is leavened by both baking powder and egg whites beaten stiff and folded in. It's rich but fluffy. I don't use pre-made mixes. (my days of owning a bakery holding me hostage here) They don't hold up well for me or taste so good anymore like they did when I was younger.

I was thinking of coconut cake for Easter....you know, the whole 7 minute icing routine....but my wife wants pound cakes for Strawberry Shortcake. I gotta get a start on the baking here in a couple of days on the pound cakes and breads. (Limited number of pans here at the house)
My wife's family is coming for Easter....like 30+ of them. Egg hunts and scavenger hunts for the kids. I'm imagining controlled chaos.

Oh well....it will be fun.
Yours sound yummy but those fancy bespoke ones never seem to live up to expectations. I think they must refrigerate them and that dries out the sponge like is does if you put bread in the fridge.

Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yours sound yummy but those fancy bespoke ones never seem to live up to expectations. I think they must refrigerate them and that dries out the sponge like is does if you put bread in the fridge.
I think that often the cakes are made from mixes in large batches or bought pre-baked, frozen and packaged.

Labor is the chief expense in a bakery. Packaging and food are usually tied with food winning by a narrow margin usually.

The labor in making cakes from scratch is high with the results from less than well trained employees disappointing. (Turnover is high) I can't even begin to tell you the manner of ways employees WILL screw up a recipe. Even the simplest ones.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Turnover is high)
A lot of turnover in the bakery, eh?:jest:

Apple-TurnoversDSC_4677-1023x1024.jpg