Becoming dead to sin - I use to hate this.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was an elder old lady who was about 77 years old, who posts on a forum site everyday and always mentioned the notion of, becoming dead to sin.

I hated that, thinking we all have sinned, why do you have to continually harp on sin, Jesus paid for sin. Which Jesus did do, he paid for sin, for all peoples, one time on the cross.

It was something that was misunderstood as person new to faith, and always being told you have to receive forgiveness of sin by having faith, while in contrary my debt had already been paid and Jesus already cleared my debt, it would be up to me to accept it or not.

This also goes for everyone in the world, all of their sin has been wiped away, blotted out, yet as human beings we still sin. This is from our flesh. Our flesh has a nature which can be defined as carnal. It feeds on earthly pleasure, and doesn’t feed of spiritually the things of God.

Therefore the notion of becoming dead to sin, is the deny our selves putting God first, and in time the flesh will slowly start to die off, and these fleshly proclivities are founded stated through out the entirety of the bible.

From pride, to lust, to hatred, to lying, to manipulating, to sexual immorality, and the like, just go look at the fifth chapter in Galatians.

Christians are suppose to become dead to those proclivities though, we still live in this world and we can read books, listen to music, watch tv or movies, have families, and live our lives, going back and forth to work.

Here are some scriptures for you to consider, maybe you never seen them before.

“Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:2, 11‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭3:3‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.”
‭‭I Peter‬ ‭2:24‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭2:20‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2:20-23‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“This is a faithful saying: For if we died with Him, We shall also live with Him.”
‭‭II Timothy‬ ‭2:11‬ ‭NKJV‬

Reactions: Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There was an elder old lady who was about 77 years old, who posts on a forum site everyday and always mentioned the notion of, becoming dead to sin.

I hated that, thinking we all have sinned, why do you have to continually harp on sin, Jesus paid for sin. Which Jesus did do, he paid for sin, for all peoples, one time on the cross.

It was something that was misunderstood as person new to faith, and always being told you have to receive forgiveness of sin by having faith, while in contrary my debt had already been paid and Jesus already cleared my debt, it would be up to me to accept it or not.

This also goes for everyone in the world, all of their sin has been wiped away, blotted out, yet as human beings we still sin. This is from our flesh. Our flesh has a nature which can be defined as carnal. It feeds on earthly pleasure, and doesn’t feed of spiritually the things of God.

Therefore the notion of becoming dead to sin, is the deny our selves putting God first, and in time the flesh will slowly start to die off, and these fleshly proclivities are founded stated through out the entirety of the bible.

From pride, to lust, to hatred, to lying, to manipulating, to sexual immorality, and the like, just go look at the fifth chapter in Galatians.

Christians are suppose to become dead to those proclivities though, we still live in this world and we can read books, listen to music, watch tv or movies, have families, and live our lives, going back and forth to work.

“Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”

“who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.”

“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”

“Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.”

“This is a faithful saying: For if we died with Him, We shall also live with Him.”
I think the lady might have been talking about the believer's practical walk with Christ, day by day; Romans 8 is a great chapter for this....

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really hated reading about it Farouk. It made me angry because it was always to become dead to sin. We as believers are to become dead to sin. I understand now it is about the sin we do as our carnal nature. Lying, hating, manipulating, deceiving, downtrodden others, greedy, lust, yet we all do still mess up. But the more you die to it the less it comes up in a believers life.

I like admitting my faults not to become proud or anything but to show them as truths I’ve seen in my life and understanding they are part of my flesh.

Such as before I hated God, and Christians. I said to hell with God and made myself god. I was most certainly wrong. I would lie, steal and cheat to get my own way, and once I got it I would say to hell with others. I would cheat on my girlfriends and lie to them as well, because my main concern was always what made Matthew happy, yet I was living in misery.

My life has changed but still am I suffering for Christ in desiring to have love for God and love for others, with little results seen maybe I don’t see but hopefully God is seeing the good results and making the good results happen in front other people and I just do not realize it.

Honesty is going to lead a person far with God allowing the spirit to work in and through them.

Thank you for your comment.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the lady might have been talking about the believer's practical walk with Christ, day by day; Romans 8 is a great chapter for this....

Do you think it is good to be open and honest with oneself in the aspect of God seeing a persons heart fully and completely?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sin is a religious term Matt, a Biblical term, put into God's word for a reason. It is an extremely important word, as we all sin. We need to know what sin is, not only for ourselves, but we can actually be held accountable if we see our brother ignorantly sinning if we do not warn them. Much of the Bible addresses sin, therefore it would come up regularly in a Christians conversation, especially in instructional talks before the congregation.